Start by marking “Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters” as Want to Read:
Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters

Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters

The bestselling author of Burying the Honeysuckle Girls returns to uncover a faith healer’s elusive and haunted past.

Dove Jarrod was a renowned evangelist and faith healer. Only her granddaughter, Eve Candler, knows that Dove was a con artist. In the eight years since Dove’s death, Eve has maintained Dove’s charitable foundation—and her lies. But just as a documentary team
Kindle Edition
Published October 20th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters

Start your review of Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters
Chelsea Humphrey
"The figure in the dark wasn't a ghost, or an ephemeral memory from her past, but a real flesh-and-blood man. And he hadn't come as a friend. He'd come for revenge."

Emily Carpenter is the queen of lush, atmospheric gothic fiction. She has a way of turning a slow burning mystery into a page turner of epic proportions, which is why she's remained amongst my top auto-buy authors for years. While this book is a follow-up of sorts to the author's debut, Burying the Honeysuckle Girls, I've heard from
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
3 stars.

Eve’s grandmother, Dove, was a famous faith healer who died eight years ago. As a young woman, Dove was part of the Hawthorn Sisters famous traveling duo. They sang, entertained and “healed” their dedicated followers. Eve has been keeping a shocking secret about her grandmother for years — before her death Dove confided in Eve that she wasn’t a true healer, she was a con artist. Now with a documentary film being made about Dove’s life, Eve faces her grandmothers long buried secrets and u
Marialyce
Try as I might, I just could not get into this book. From it's abrupt time line changes to its multiple characters, the real story seemed to be lost in a fog. Through the back and forthing, the author tries to introduce Dove Jarrod and her story as being an evangelist con artist. We meet in the other time line, he granddaughter Eve, now the head of Dove's charitable foundation.

However, after Eve is assaulted by a man intent on getting revenge on the foundation by revealing Dove's possible murde
Regina
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How do you like the sound of the word “coin?” Coin. Coin. Coin. Coin. Coin. If you’re still with me, it’s a good sign that the hundreds (thousands?) of times it’s used in this novel won’t drive you to drink.

There’s a missing coin, you see? And our present-day main character needs to find it ASAP or the scam that is her grandmother’s faith-healing legacy and murderous past will be exposed. Flash back (in alternating chapters) to said grandmother’s path to the revival tents by way of a psychiatri
Erin
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for an egalley in exchange for an honest review.

A dual timeline, Emily Carpenter is back with her latest southern gothic novel in which her main protagonist, Emma is searching for more information on her grandmother, Dove Jarrod's past. In the 1934 timeline, readers learn about Dove's background and her early days as an evangelist and faith healer. One thing that Emma knows for certain is that her grandmother was nothing more than a con artist. But
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews

Eve works for the foundation started by her late faith healer Grandma, Dove, who has a few secrets buried with her. Dove’s secrets have caught up to Eve and she is forced to dig up some of those secrets, and a mystery starts to develop. The story is told through two timelines from Eve in the present, and Dove set in 1930. I enjoyed Dove’s storyline a bit more than Eve’s, and it had that gothic feel to the setting I love. I found her storyline to have a little more substance to it that d
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: DOVE

This was how she knew the end was near.

At night time, after she'd gone to bed and begun the welcome voyage toward sleep, her friends would appear. They fluttered the curtains and stirred the dust, bringing with them the smell of long ago, far away places.

When she was young, she would have thought them ghosts, but at the clear-eyed age of ninety five, she knew better. They were only memories, flickers of her past. The stories she'd kept hidden for so long that she almost didn't rec
Louise Wilson
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dove Jarred was a renowned evangelist and faith healer. Only her granddaughter, Eve Chandler, knows that Dove was a con artist. It's been eight years since Dove died and Eve has maintained Dove's charitable foundation and her lies. A documentary team has just finished a shoot about a miracle worker. Eve is assaulted by a vengeful stranger who's intent on exposing Dove's darkest 6he secret.

Tuscaloosa 1934: A wily young orphan escapes the psychiatric hospital where she was born. When she joins th
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
I loved the format of this book, dual timelines...from 1934 to present day. The switching back and forth was coherent and easy to follow. This is a book about secrets and relationships, family and the romantic kind. Enchanting, poignantly real... Emily Carpenter's characters come to life.

I devoured this in a day. It's beautifully, intimately written, and leaves you feeling warm and cosy – despite exploring themes of growth, pain and loss. Emily Carpenter writes wonderfully, poetically at times.
ABookwormWithWine
I absolutely love Emily Carpenter's books and Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters is just another one for me to love. It felt different from her other books that I've read and I was totally into the topic of faith healers, which I've never really thought about before. I was glued to the pages and read it in just two sittings because I had to know what was going to happen next. There is such a great flow to the writing, and I loved the switches between present day and 1934. There aren't that many viewp ...more
Christina McDonald
A Southern Gothic novel that floats effortlessly between past and present. In the past we follow Dove Jarrod, an evangelist who preys on the faithful to make them believe they’ve been healed. In the present, Eve, Dove’s granddaughter, who learns that beyond Dove’s cons, she may have also been a murderer.

To protect her family and find the truth, Even sets out on a journey to unravel the truth behind the accusations.

While this is a stand alone, the story is a follow up to one of Carpenter’s previo
Vonda
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is quite the read. A faith healer that is a con, she is also guilty of a hidden murder. There are family secrets she hid, then the granddaughter is left grandma's house when she dies. There was so much more that was hidden and shocking! The book is an interesting read with a different plot idea. It read quickly and was extremely entertaining.
Tami
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Emily Carpenter’s new novel was a pleasant surprise for me. When I began reading, I had forgotten the premise, but I was soon into the story of Eve and the secrets that her late grandmother had inadvertently left for her to uncover.

Eve’s grandmother, Dove, was a faith healer and had worked the tent revivals in the 1930’s. One odd thing about Dove, was that she had been born in a psychiatric hospital and had lived there as an orphan even after her mother’s death.

Dove had the uncanny ability to re
Louise Wilson
Dove Jarrod was a renowned evangelist and faith healer. Only her granddaughter, Eve Chandler, knows that Dove was a con artist. It's been eight years since Dove died and Eve has maintained Dove's charitable foundation and her lies. A documentary team have just finished a shoot about miracle worker. Eve is assaulted by a vengeful stranger who's intent on exposing Dove's darkest secret.

Tuscalossa 1034: A wily young orphqn escapes the psychiatric hospital where she was born. When she joins the itin
Kimberly Belle
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily Carpenter had me at faith healers, and she kept me glued to the pages with this captivating story, effortlessly weaving the past and the present into one haunting tale. RTHS is a return to Carpenter’s Southern Gothic roots...and she does the genre like no other. Lush and atmospheric, with pitch-perfect prose and filled with characters you won’t soon forget. All hail the Southern Gothic queen! 👑
Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks)
In Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters, Emily Carpenter revisits the southern gothic theme that she writes so well. In this new book, we learn more about Dove, one of the characters in Burying the Honeysuckle Girls. I loved this fabulous story!
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it

In 1934, a young orphan leaves behind the psychiatric hospital in which she was raised to start a life of her own. She eventually becomes caretaker for a wealthy man who collects uncirculated erroneous coins and hides them around his home to ease his OCD. She also finds herself as one half of the Hawthorn Sisters, an inspiring duo traveling around Alabama tent revivals to spread the gospel and heal people with faith. Little does she know that there is a dangerous man searching for her;
Donna Hines
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Double lives. A dangerous predator lurks. The truth shall set you free. Run Eve, Run!
Dove seems like a great healer and devoted human. We learn from Eve (grandaughter) that she's also a con and Eve has felt compelled to keep her secrets hidden.
Now, Eve is on the receiving end of her grandmother's worst secret-MURDER and is assaulted in the process.
This is a hair tingling novel that really compels readers to follow along and not jump to conclusions as the experience escalates to dangerous heights
Erin Emily
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to #Netgalley and #LakeUnionPublishing for the chance to read #RevivingtheHawthorneSisters in anticipation of its October 20th release! I give this book 3.5 starts out of 5.

Wayward evangelist faith healers, asylums, family secrets, outlaws, rare coins, missing corpses, and things hidden in walls? Sign me up! This book was not at all what I expected and I was more than pleasantly surprised. I needed something fairly light to read during a stressful time and this ticked all of the boxes
Sherri Thacker
I had a hard time connecting with the characters in this book and keeping all of them straight so for that reason I abandoned the book at 40%. Just not for me. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this early release in exchange for my honest review.
Susan Peterson
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“Of course, that, too, had been a lie. But now lies wouldn’t do. Now it was time for the truth . . .” From the moment I read Burying the Honeysuckle Girls, I thirsted for more of the story about these remarkable characters. In this outstanding follow-up, we meet Eve Chandler, the granddaughter of renowned faith healer Dove Jarrod. Eve has become the keeper of Dove’s lies, and now she must unravel her grandmother’s long-buried history to protect herself and her family. The setting and the mood of
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: October 12th 2020

"Sometimes you've got to tear something down before you can build it back up again."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! **

(view spoiler)
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Many thanks to Net Galley, Lake Union publishing and the author for a chance to read and review this book. All opinions are expressed voluntarily.

Emily Carpenter’s Burying the Honeysuckle Girls has been popping up on my recommendation list for a long while. But I have not got around to reading that, but when given a chance to read Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters from Net Galley, I pounced on it. The blurb had all the elements of a guaranteed success story. Dual timeline, family secrets, romance, t
Mashara
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

So here it goes: I did not enjoy this book and had a difficult time finishing it.
The longer version is I wanted to like this book. It's about a granddaughter connecting to her grandmother by exploring her story, it's women overcoming terrible odds and building a life for themselves. However, there's hardly any character you can honestly root for and a complete lack of a moral compass borderline in cynicism.

The story of the boo
Tamara
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Net galley for this book. This is the first book I have read of this author. This book got my interest from the first page and kept my interest to the last. I really enjoyed this book and Im looking forward to reading more.
Jocelyn
I’d first like to thank Lake Union Publishing and Emily Carpenter for sending me an ARC of Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters in the mail.

Unfortunately, I really struggled to get into this one and found my attention wavering. I decided to hand in the towel at roughly 100 pages because it just wasn’t holding my attention.

I didn’t think that the writing was bad, I just found it hard to follow and all of the different characters. I love stories that go back and forth between different timelines but I
Book_Club_For_Introverts Rebecca Ryan Long
As usual, this book is perfection. One of the most descriptive books yet. She paints beautiful sceneries and torrid tales. I have yet to read a even semi ok book by Emily Carpenter. Every thing she writes is gorgeous. This will not disappoint. I’d read Burying the Honeysuckle girls first. Thanks for another great read Emily! Looking forward to the next.
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
When you read a premise that involves an asylum escapee, an outlaw on the run, a rare coin, family secrets and a story with a Gothic vibe featuring 1930's southern itinerant preachers and faith healers, I dare you not to have your interest piqued. Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters encompasses all those topics and then some - that's a whole lotta stuff going on.

The story is told using two time frames and two POVs - Eve in modern day and Dove/Ruth, Eve's grandmother, in the 1930's. My favourite part o
Carla Suto
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
REVIVING THE HAWTHORN SISTERS by Emily Carpenter is a gripping and atmospheric story full of haunting family secrets that held me captive from the very first page to the last. It is a follow-on to her debut Southern gothic mystery, BURYING THE HONEYSUCKLE GIRLS, which I loved, but it can easily be read as a stand-alone. The story is told in alternating timelines and points of view: those of renowned evangelist and faith healer Dove Jarrod in 1934 and her granddaughter, Eve Candler in present day ...more
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
If you haven't read Emily Carpenter by now then I highly suggest that you do. This is my fourth book by her and ding ding ding - we have another winner! This is somewhat a 'follow-up" to Burying the Honeysuckle Girls, which I haven't read (YET), but this can absolutely be read as a standalone. I never once felt out of sorts or like I was missing something.

Faith healers, a Southern Gothic atmosphere and buried family secrets - what more could you ask for?! I absolutely fell in love with and appre
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• No Place Too Far
  • The First to Lie
  • How to Save a Life
  • Chasing Melody
  • A Secret for a Secret (All In, #3)
  • The Run and Hide (The Brotherhood Chronicle, Volume 2)
  • Gone to Darkness (Sydney Rose Parnell, #4)
  • He Will Get You (Maddie Ives #5)
  • Frank Vaughn Killed by his Mom
  • The Second World Wars: How the First Global Conflict Was Fought and Won
  • The Brotherhood (The Brotherhood Chronicle Book 1)
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between