Start by marking “Companions of Paradise” as Want to Read:
Companions of Paradise

Companions of Paradise (Mariana Givens #3)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  302 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In A Singular Hostage and A Beggar at the Gate, Thalassa Ali introduced us to the lush, intriguing world of nineteenth-century British India—and to Mariana Givens, a brave, beautiful Englishwoman. Now, as vengeful Afghan tribesmen close in, Mariana must face the repercussions of her marriage to a Punjabi Muslim, and choose between the people she calls her own—and the life ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Bantam (first published December 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Companions of Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Companions of Paradise

Jana
I liked the trilogy overall but by the end, the main character really annoyed me. The British were ridiculous with their costly arrogance. I really liked her husband and his family though.
Karen Lovell
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Last book of the trilogy and I was just as captivated as the previous two. I love the mingle of history, mystism and the journey for peace that Mariana faces. The British aristocracy at the time gossiped about Mariana, she certainly raised a few eyebrows and I like the fact she feels so strongly and differently from the other mensahibs. The heroine is way before her time in the acceptance of other cultures and religions unconditionally. Very cleverly written and I just wish there were more as I ...more
Donna
I learned much about Afghanistan around 1878 - 1880 when the British invaded from India and made fools of themselves and were slaughtered by the Ghilzai. And I learned more of the ways of the Followers of the Path at that time too. My Pakistani friends assure me that the history in this novel is accurate. If I make it to the British Museum some day, I'll defintely look for letters from some of the British who were in Kabul during this time.
Karen
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this book down! It was such an interesting description of history! The details are exciting! It was also interesting to read some things about the Islamic religion and their beliefs and traditions. And there's a little romance, which is always nice. I liked the whole series.
Jenifer
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Maybe 2 stars is a bit harsh. As is the case with most book series, it looses steam and there isn't much that can save it. Ending just didn't work for me.
Kb
Maybe it was the hopelessness of the historical situation (which the author could do nothing about), but I was not as happy with this book as a finale to Mariana's trilogy. The character of the dancing boy was delightful, but I did not like the way he and Mariana parted company at the end. One thing I did like was Mariana's struggle to comprehend -- that is, to absorb into her world view -- that Christianity, Islam, and Judaism share the same roots, so that it was not blasphemous to recite a Mus ...more
Susanne
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the third and final book in Thalassa Ali's romantic historical fiction series that began with "A Singular Hostage" and continued with "A Beggar at the Gate." I LOVED these books. What a fascinating look at the history of Pakistan, and the misguided arrogance of the British in 19th century India. The heroine, Mariana Givens, is most appealing, an awkward young woman sent to India in the hope that she'll finally find a husband, but who continues to be inappropriately interested in military ...more
Emily
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved it till about the last ten or so pages. You feel the character grow in in this book and then at the end she reverts to her weaknesses as if she hadn't learned anything after all. Plus, it feels like the author didn't want to write the last chapter. Just as everything starts to resolve, it ends. I like my happy endings!!! Let me enjoy it for a few minutes!
Margaret
Dec 05, 2008 rated it liked it
I love historical fiction - so this was fascinating. It relates the epic, nineteeth-century struggle between Britain and Russia for control of Central Asia. For all its remoteness and high, inaccessible mountains, Afghanistan ( think silk route) played an important role in this Great Game. I gave it a 3 because the love story was a little weird - but the history wonderful.
Jen Evans
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. I loved the fact that it was historical fiction about an area of the world I know nothing about and a time period that fascinates me. I looked up some of the characters on Wikipedia and from what I learned on there the author is right on in how she developed them through the story. Wonderful ending to a wonderful journey.
Kelly
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Third in the series. I ordered this book and the second one from Amazon UK because I couldn't wait long enough for it to come out in the US! A satisfying conclusion to Mariana and Hassan's story, though I still wish for more!
Kara
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series. It was a random find at the library and since I love a good historical romance, these were a nice surprise.
Leslie
May 08, 2008 rated it liked it
book three
Jenny Jeffries
Jul 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, it is a fitting end to the series. Not what I expected - more to do with our heroine's struggle than the emerging relationship, which I hoped for. Ne'er mind. A good yarn.
Maria
Nov 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
The best of the trilogy. Just a touch of romance, but mostly very interesting historical fiction. Fantastic descriptions of India/Afghanistan with a very helpful glossary.
Abeer Abdulrehman
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the trilogy but I thought the end was abrupt. I would have loved a bit more detail on Mariana and Hassan's meeting at the end. I am a romantic at heart so I'd have loved to read something about the reunion their feelings etc.
I felt like I was cheated out of that. Other than that I loved it. As someone who grew up in Pakistan it was fun to rehash the history. The history of the Indian sub continent is long and I have never read the details of this time period so thoroughly enjoyed that.
Patty
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Marianna Givens travels with the Britsh army to Afghanistan and to their disastrous defeat in the mid 1880's. Her spiritualism grows as she accepts that she belongs with her Muslim husband's mystical family.
TienvoorNegen
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
The last part of three.
Liked it for the memories of my travels through India and the great 19th century India feel it gave me.
It won't replace the far pavilions though.. That one was much much better ..
Marie80
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Конечно, ја комплетирав трилогијата!Не очекував баш така да заврши,да бидам искрена малку се разочарав бидејќи поинаку го замислував крајот, но сепак задоволна сум од сите три дела.И благодарам на мојата драга пријателка Вики од која ја добив книгата како подарок.
Tmny
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I never felt quite invested in this book.

3 stars for beautiful descriptions and language, but the protagonist became way too annoying in the end to be able to hold the threads of the story together.
Ivana
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Exellent, Strong Characters and exellent plot. A suiting ending!
Jozo Mandić
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Ne razumim, ovo e kraj?!? Kakav je ovo kraj?!?! Nakon jako dobrog uvoda i odlične druge knjige dobijem ovakav kraj?!?!? Veliko razočarenje. Stvarno veliko!!!
Taya
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slabija od prethodna dva nastavka.
Ayni
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
No words can describe my anguish as I finished this tale. Utterly in love with the trilogy and sad to say goodbye to the characters
L F
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite trilogies
Anne
  • Incidents of Travel in Yucatan, Vol 1
  • رحلات داوتي في الجزيرة العربية
  • Flowers in the Blood
  • Ashes for the Elephant God
  • Forbidden Jewel of India (Herriard, #1)
  • Greenbanks
  • Catherine's Heart (Tales of London #2)
  • Veiled Seduction (Veiled, #2)
  • The Malhotra Bride
  • The Unexpected Miss Bennet
  • Second Daughter (Royals of Dharia, #2)
  • Hester
  • The Collected Novels: Train To Pakistan, I Shall Not Hear The Nightingale, Delhi
  • Rsvp
  • Monsoon Wedding Fever
  • The Curse of the Brimstone Contract (The Steampunk Detectives, #1)
  • Greh njene majke