Start by marking “The Lord God Made Them All” as Want to Read:
The Lord God Made Them All

The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small #7)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  16,665 Ratings  ·  348 Reviews
The triumphant conclusion to the legendary series
With each book more engaging than the last, James Herriot once again brings us the magical beauty of Yorkshire through his uplifting experiences as a country veterinarian. These stories provide a grand finale to the wonderful books that began with "All Creatures Great and Small" and continued in "All Things Bright and Beaut
Published April 1st 1982 by Bantam Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Lord God Made Them All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord God Made Them All

Brittany
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Herriot never disappoints. If I had to choose one of his books that is the weakest, it would be this one. The stories and characters are not quite as memorable as in his other books, and there are some rather off-topic chapters (more about that in a bit). But even if it is the weakest of the five, it is still a touching, engaging, funny, and perceptive book.

It picks up right where All Things Wise and Wonderful left off, with Herriot coming home from the RAF. It chronicles life post-war, and the
Valerie Kyriosity
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I was supposed to have devoted my day to Bill Bryson's At Home today, since I've got about 450 pages to get through between now and when my book group meets on Monday, but Christoper Timothy reading James Herriot is just too addicting. Herriot's hundredth birthday was this week, so I had to mark the occasion by indulging in this volume. No regerts! ;-)
Chana
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
James Herriot is one of the few authors that I will read repeatedly. I mean I will pick up a copy of one of his books that I have read before and read it again as I know those same stories will again make me laugh and cry and feel positive about the human race. I love animals, the real gift here is making me love people too. My James Herriot books are precious to me.
Alexandra
5/21/17 Kindle Daily Deal $1.99
nur'aini  tri wahyuni
om James ini kisah hidupnya benerbener menarik, yaa. keliling pertanian pertanian, nyembuhin berbagai macam jenis hewan. sampe operasi cesar sapi! astaga.

semua kisah beliau bersama hewan sangat menyenangkan. yg rada kurang sreg pas jalanjalan ke Rusia dan Turki aja.
Jenny
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic group of stories James Herriot shares in this collection. Best of all, you don’t have to read them straight through. Each one stands independently, with the exception of his travel chapters. Pick up and read when and where you like. Each chapter takes only 10-20 minutes to read. Perfect leisure reading with big rewards for the spirit, both laughter and tears to be expected.

I love the beginning story describing the 7 gates of hell Herriot had to pass through before he got to this
Pamela Shropshire
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 4th book written by the Yorkshire veterinary surgeon, James Herriot (real name: Alf Wight). Most of the stories - like the birth of his daughter - took place just after the end of WW2. An exception, is the recounting of him sailing about a cattle ship with a cargo of pedigree sheep bound for the USSR.

Although it never occurred to me previously, I was struck by the mention of German soldiers/sailors that he encountered. The last book was set during WW2 and yet merely 20 years later,
Chris
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Of the 4 books that I have read in the All Creatures series, this one was by far the weakest. The stories don't have the same charm as his first 2 books. One of the things that detracts from this one is the telling of his trip to Russia. He alternates chapters, moving from his Russia adventure in one chapter back to Darrowby in the next, which disrupts the overall flow. The Russia story-line is very mediocre - no humor or charm in it at all. Plus, this story-line randomly switches between past a ...more
Anwen
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The joy of Herriot's writing is that he can bring the reader to laughter or tears, effortlessly. In the same way, whilst the focus remains on his animal patients, he has an abiding and clear-eyed affection for the humans he encounters too. Every budding writer should be made to read his prose to realise that economy and richness can go hand in hand to devestatingly good effect. Please read!
Pujiyanto stiffy
Ini penutup kisah James Herriot yang sempurna. Kisahnya lebih variatif dengan masih mempertahankan humor-humor khas Herriot yang penuh kehangatan.
Favoritku adalah kisah tentang si Jimmy anaknya saat maju di pertunjukan piano. Dan ada lagi kisah si dokter hewan ini dalam perjalanannya ke Rusia!! Duh, pinter banget sih nulis pengalaman hidup, jadi asyik seperti novel!!
Sue
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, england
The fourth installment of his experiences as a vet working in Yorkshire. Like the other three, this is the sort of book that you could dip into at various points and have a self-contained tidbit of his joys and struggles. I think I've said with the others, and it's true here too: it's good that he's not afraid to tell some tales on himself. An enjoyable, light read.
Primadonna
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full with emotions. Sometimes, after reading a chapter, I found my eyes wet, and I gazed at nothing for a while. Sometimes, it made me chuckle and even laugh.

Looking at the world through Herriot's eyes, I sigh and wish that things would continue to be beautiful and bright.
Tanya W
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
As usual the gamut of emotions, laughter, joy, sadness, and so forth. James Herriott is an excellent writer. There aren't that many books I consider worth owning, but after reading James Herriot's first book, I purchased all his books. They are all a joy to read.
Lynne Stringer
I think this was the least of all the James Herriot books, but was still enjoyable in its own right. There was no doubt he knew how to tell a story in a wonderfully engaging manner.
Inder
Probably my least favorite of the series, but even not-so-great Herriot is an utter delight. I'm very sorry to be done.
Jade Lauron
Number 4 in the series, I read the first 3 awhile back and watched most of the BBS production (awesome, by the way). More good stories of a country vet.
Brenda
Non-fiction, I should have known it (? Definitely, not my genre.
Anj
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf
Reread in September 2016.
Quadragon27
This fourth James Herriot novel retains all the humor found in the earlier books of the series, and chronicles an interesting time in veterinary medicine - the introduction of antibiotics. As a veterinarian myself, it is fascinating to read about the early uses of medications I take for granted. There are also some cases Herriot describes that would never be seen nowadays. Demodectic mange, for instance, which was apparently almost a death sentence in the 1940's, is now easily treated with oral ...more
Trounin
Годы шли, менялась медицина, не менялись лишь животные и их хозяева. Если с животными Джеймс Хэрриот всегда находил общий язык, то с их хозяевами редко получалось наладить диалог. Отчего так? У знакомящегося с мемуарами ветеринара постоянно складывается впечатление, будто заботы о самочувствии братьев меньших лежат сугубо на чужих плечах, тогда как им достаточно постоянно требовать внимания к себе, более никак не проявляя заботу о собственном хозяйстве. Злость Хэрриота становится всё очевидней. ...more
Bella
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are places where I found this book not as compelling as the other books by Herriot, and I am not even trying to compare it with Herriot's Dog Stories and Herriot's Cat Stories (they are incomparable). However, Herriot depicts his characters' whims and quirks so well that I felt like it was a definitive farewell to these colourful characters, although it is not a sad, poignant one, but one with a reassuring sense that they would fare quite well on their own.

The thoughts that Herriot suffere
Evan Hays
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I expected this volume to tail off a bit compared to the others because I knew there wouldn't be as much Tristan and Sigfried, and that he had already gotten married and come through the war and everything, but this one was just as good as the others. I am pretty sure that Alf Wight could tell me a story about paint drying and I would be enraptured. That isn't to say the content in this book is boring at all--he had a lot of crazy and interesting experiences as a country vet even after he had se ...more
Charles Harrison
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is notable for two things; the longer format and the vet abroad stories. The longer format is nice, all the more endearing tales to tell. Some of the old narrative structure returns as well although there is still a bit of jumping around.
What really makes this one worth reading is the Russia and Turkey stories. They are an absolutely fascinating insight into a time largely forgotten now. How different those places must look today. They are also cracking adventures in their own right. Ti
Terri
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book by James Herriot, full of charming stories about a vet's life in the Yorkshire Dales. This one takes place after WW II.

Plenty of giggles like the other books in this series, but my only criticism is that the stories don't flow like the other books. They keep hopping around from one period (the late 40s) to the early 60s, when James took a trip to Russia and, later, to Turkey. Just not sure why the editors did things that way.

Still, this book made me smile and even laugh out loud at
Jodi
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why must I run out of tales from James Herriot? Excuse me while I lament.

Herriot's tales are family classics for us. It's a secret language to make each other laugh. Whenever we see a silly dog, he is a total cracker dog. If you have problems with your rear end, you have flop bot. If you need to cure racism in your world, don't forget that Tricky Woo saved his Chinese people from discrimination in Yorkshire, so anything is possible. If you fall in shit, you can still smell like roses--think of
Nicole Silver
This book was a significant change from the type of book I typically read. I struggled with some of the authors character descriptions. It was quite evident the author grew up in a different time, where women were not on the same level as men. Despite the title of the book god was not a prevailing theme in any of the stories much to my relief. The stories were very cute and light heart headed, I will read more of James Herriot but will need to remind myself that it was a different time back then ...more
Jan1243
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this audiobook narrated by the man who played Jim Herriot in the PBS adaptation, and it was magnificent. I was driving to D.C. and back, and I laughed aloud on many occasions (the artificial V!) and was moved to (almost) tears several times. Such a delight. 🐖🐐🐑🐕🐈❤ ...more
T. Giachetti
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top notch read! James Herriot brings the reader into his life of a veterinarian. The care and love he shows to his patient and their owners shows he loves his profession. I had read all is books, and each one is a gem of country get life.
Claire
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was good however it didn't live up to the former books in the series. I didn't feel very connected with the animals and James Herriot like I did before. The parts where James Herriot traveled were also just sort of thrown in and not as interesting. I'm very sad to give this four stars because of the amazing books in the series before this one.
Donna Riley-lein
We need books like this.

Don't get me wrong -- the "Great and Small" books will never be on any Great Books list. But there is a place for well written books that assure us life is good, that there are good people.
2015 Reading Chal...: The Lord God Made Them All by James Herriot 2 13 Mar 22, 2015 10:20AM
  • Forever Free: Elsa's Pride (Story of Elsa, #3)
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Gin O'Clock
  • The Whispering Land
  • Yuki Chan in Brontë Country
  • The Cat and the Curmudgeon
  • Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams (#2)
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
  • The Other Side of the Dale
  • The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5)
  • Of Sorrow and Such
  • Chicken Every Sunday: My Life with Mother's Boarders
  • All My Patients are Under the Bed: Memoirs of a Cat Doctor
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

All Creatures Great and Small (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • If Only They Could Talk
  • It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet
  • Let Sleeping Vets Lie
  • Vet in Harness
  • Vets Might Fly
  • Vet in a Spin
  • Every Living Thing
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • All Things Bright and Beautiful (All Creatures Great and Small)
  • All Things Wise and Wonderful