Start by marking “The Pearl King (Crow Investigations, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Pearl King (Crow Investigations, #4)

The Pearl King

(Crow Investigations #4)

Tradition. Loyalty. Respect. Murder. Normal Family stuff…

Lydia is pulled into the Crow Family business by her shady Uncle Charlie. He has decided that Lydia needs to learn the truth about her infamous Family and to step into her role within it – whether she likes it or not.

After Lydia’s wrongful arrest, her relationship with DCI Fleet is decidedly rocky, but when a teenage
Published June 25th 2020 by Siskin Press

Start your review of The Pearl King (Crow Investigations, #4)
shelly north
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

I just finished the entire series this week. I am already suffering from withdrawals and can’t wait for book 5. This is hands down one of the most unique and mesmerizing takes on urban fantasy that I have read in a while. It’s a quiet read that slowly sucks you into an alternate London. No explosions, but a few dead bodies. Mystery and plot twists and hard decisions. Read it. You will like it.
Myra Ball
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

Wow, this book was so good. I'm not sure when I've read a series that I've loved more and the fourth book was amazing. Many of the series questions were revealed with lots of twist that I never saw coming. I'm so glad the author is continuing this series because I'm a huge fan. Lydia is a complex character that's grown and matured especially in the fourth book. I highly recommend this series but start with book one because the series builds incredibly well to this fourth installment.
Karen Heenan
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've read all four of the Crow Investigations books and they just keep getting better. This time around, the Crow family is woven into the Pearl-centered plot and I really enjoyed reading more about Uncle Charlie (and what I hope to read on book 5). Character development is fine so well - I love watching Lydia grow in strength and confidence. Sarah Painter has much in common with Lydia, as her writing continues to gain confidence with each book.
Asia
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Launching straight back into it, Lydia isn't short on cases in this book; a missing person, an amnesiac, murders in the family and still JRB floating around. On top of all of that, she has to contend with Charlie, who shows his true colours in this book.
It was a little longer than the others - no longer stuck to 300 pages! - but still felt like the cases where wrapped up too quickly and neatly within the last 20% of the book. Oh, and the grammar errors are back.
Also, have you ever felt like shak
Jensen Smith
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Definitely the best book in the series so far. I went back and forth between wanting to continue with them and just skipping out, but I'm glad I didn't! It had a lot of intrigue and I loved the introduction of the Pearl family. I also loved that (view spoiler). Overall, I think the writing and the plot line was definitely at its strongest in this one. I also loved the cliffhanger. ...more
Angelnet
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-kindle, arcs
The Crow Family saga continues immediately after Lydia’s arrest at the end of book four. The price to be paid is a high one and Lydia has to consent to be pulled into official Crow family business by her uncle Charlie. Something that her parents had desperately tried to keep her away from. Charlie’s methods and practices are becoming increasingly extreme and outlandish – something that Lydia is not at all comfortable with.

In this fourth instalment tensions are brewing between the four magical fa
Amanda Jane
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Still so vague

It's like she hasn't fully formed her characters, is still 4 books in unable to verbalise anything concrete beyond coin spinning and mild hypnosis as a Crow power.

There's plenty of points where she contradicts earlier books..

Lydia can't get a hangover.. she's had them before in book 1.

Lydia can't get drunk.. yet she's also been drunk in previous books.. notably when she got together with Fleet.

Lydia drinks whiskey like it's pepsi.. just ridiculous how often she "drinks herself int
Elena Geesey
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Series just keeps getting better

Lydia’s backstory sucked in me in at the beginning of the first book, and watching her character arc has been completely enjoyable. I read through all four books in a matter of days, and I’m particularly impressed with the plotting in this one~especially when I read the afterword that this book was written during Pandemic 2020. Absolutely bang up job and canNOT wait to read the next. Signed up for email updates on the author’s website so I’ll know as soon as it’s
Áine
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lydia stepping up

This book really makes me believe that there can be a bit of longevity to the series. I don’t want to spoil for anyone but Lydia accepts that she is more powerful than she thought. There is a bit of a shift in the characters we’ve met before but it works well. Finding out a bit more about the families works well but is crucial to the story. Can’t wait for the next book. So far I think this is the strongest one of the series.

And Fleet. I always enjoy him!
R.J. Corgan
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely new entry to the Crow Investigation series. Lydia is forced to finally make decisions regarding her own involvement with the Crow family and closes the door on some of the mysteries from the earlier books, while leaving open new tales for future books. Devoured the book in one afternoon, so definitely falls under the category of could-not-put-it-down books. Hope she continues to expand her urban fantasy, and hope she keeps the movie rights!
Lisa Culligan
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A nice easy read without two much suspense or too many surprises. I've read all four of the Lydia Crow books so far and this one is more far fetched than the others but that is what the stories are about. I did enjoy it though and will get the next one that I understand is in the process of being written.
I am also going to look out for the other books by Sarah Painter because it is good to have an unchallenging read to mix up with the classic that I also like to read.
Felicia
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful scary book, I couldn’t put it down and maybe read it again. Thanks for your writing, I always enjoy your books. It’s a treat when you publish a new and once in a while I find one I haven’t read.

I love the way the story flows, it is written in a way you don’t lose the thread of the story even if you have to put it down.
Ptaylorwilliams
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In many ways I thought this was the best of the series. That said, I have enjoyed the whole series and found all 3 prior books worth reading. This one however, reached a new level in character development and pulled together threads from the last 3 books. The plot was solid and kept my interest and made me care about the characters and what would happen next.
Sue Gill
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it and seeing the characters grow. The mysteries where interesting and I wanted to see them solved, the family intreague was well done.
Overall fantastic, cant wait to read what happens next. I look forward to seeing more of Lydia's crow magic and her interactions tions with Jason and Fleet.
Debbie
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best so far

There is a lot happening in this story. We still have the overarching mystery about whose coming between the families but many other issues are resolved. Lydia is changing and I think I like the new Lydia better. I highly recommend this series and I’m looking forward to the next book.
Alicia
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
tracy
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The series

I loved these books and cannot wait for number 5. I enjoy fantasy books but these were extra special because I grew up in Camberwell. I didn't realise these books were set in Camberwell till a couple of pages in and I was hooked. The characters were/are intriguing. A great series. Roll on number 5.
K.A. Fox
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lydia overcomes a lot of barriers in this book and develops a much greater understanding of her true power. She also learns that doing what's right isn't always a clear choice. The weaving of myth and legend through the series is done well. Looking forward to the next book in the series. And more Fleet!
Melanie
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, covid-19-reads
I absolutely LOVED this book. I was so fortunate to receive an advance copy as part of Sarah’s Readers Club and I enjoyed every last word.

This series is going from strength to strength and even though I say this every time, this one was my favourite!
Michelle Johnson
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A touch of magic

Much anticipated fourth novel in the Crow series and wholly satisfied. Introduces the mysterious Pearl family who have been mentioned briefly in previous books. The family dynamics and dynasties are masterfully inspired and presented.
Teri Milner
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this series

Another page turner that didn't disappoint! Lydia works her magic to find lost people, right a big wrong and along the way maybe assures herself some love and happiness. Can't wait for the next book.
Marit Brock
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I did not see this coming!

Lydia is becoming more.comfortable with who she is and what she can do. This book is an important bridge to a new future for her and I can't wait see read the next book be see where she goes!
Jan Tucker
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finished it too soon

I love the crow investigations series, this one doesn't disappoint. Urban fantasy set in the UK with no werewolves or glittery vampires ( they have their place but it's good to have something different). Roll on number 5 - I am a greedy reader😊
Amberley Baker
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant - love this series!

Much darker than the first three - thoroughly enjoyed it. If you are looking through reviews before reading, I envy you the fact that you can read all four back to back. Thoroughly recommend this series, can’t wait for #5.
Lucy
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been following this series after the first book grabbed me. I can truly say it is getting better with each book. Lydia Crow is coming into her own and taking over the reins. I think this could still become a brilliant series.
Trish
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

I love this whole series!! Lydia Crow is getting better and braver with each book and I can't wait to read the next one! I finished it in two sittings. Thank you Sarah Painter !
Richard Rose
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent series

A very good story with a well rounded character and Melanie situations despite being set in a world of magic. Lydia reminds me a bit of Jasmine Sharpe with the same feisty attitude. Looking forward to more of the series.
Sofia Stanton
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Astonishingly Amazing!

I cannot quite explain why these books were so good but I have read all 4 books in 24 hours and oh my god I want more!

Please give these a try if you love urban fantasy!
Miss K A Price
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant as were the first 3

I have absolutely loved this series, the power struggles, the world hidden within our own but known about by rumour, the romantic connections and the character development of Jason the ghost and lydia. Really looking forward to the next one
Fey
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great paranormal mystery - HIGHLY RECOMMEND

I really love this series. The characters are so well-written, the magic is unfolding beautifully, and you really get a feel for their version of London.

« previous 1 3 next »

• French Leave (A King's Watch Story Book 4)
  • The Book of War (The Last Oracle, #8)
  • The Book of Harmony (The Last Oracle, #7)
  • The Seventh Star (The King's Watch #7)
  • Ring of Troth (A King's Watch Story #3)
  • The Book of Destiny (The Last Oracle 9)
  • Eight Kings (The King's Watch #6)
  • Wings over Water (A King's Watch Story #2)
  • The Book of Havoc (The Last Oracle, #6)
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
  • Phantom Stag (A King's Watch Story, #1)
  • Tenfold (The King's Watch #4)
  • Nine of Wands (The King's Watch #5)
  • The Book of Betrayal (The Last Oracle, #5)
  • The Eleventh Hour (The King's Watch #3)
  • The 12 Dragons of Albion (The King's Watch, #2)
  • The Quantum Curators and the Fabergé Egg: An alternate history, time-travel adventure.
  • The Book of Lies (The Last Oracle, #4)
Sarah Painter's novels span contemporary fiction with a touch of magic to historical fiction mixed with psychological thriller. Yes, she finds it difficult to stick to one genre!

Her bestselling debut novel, The Language of Spells, introduced the quirky town of Pendleford, and was followed by a sequel, The Secrets of Ghosts and a prequel novella, The Garden of Magic.

Sarah's latest novel, In The Li

Crow Investigations (4 books)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)