Start by marking “The Great Book of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #1-10)” as Want to Read:
The Great Book of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #1-10)

The Great Book of Amber

(The Chronicles of Amber #1-10 )

Alternate cover edition can be found here

Roger Zelazny's chronicles of Amber have earned their place as all-time classics of imaginative literature. Now, here are all ten novels, together in one magnificent omnibus volume. Witness the titanic battle for supremacy waged on Earth, in the Courts of Chaos, and on a magical world of mystery, adventure and romance.
--back
Paperback, US / CAN Edition, 1258 pages
Published December 1999 by Avon-Eos

To ask other readers questions about The Great Book of Amber, please sign up.
Grimread Considering how it ends there should be. -.-

If possible just read the first five from this book and save yourself the trouble.

Lasairfiona Smith
Aug 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in an epic story that doesn't feel dry
I adore this series. I have read and re-read this book since high school. What can I say? It captured my imagination and has kept ahold of it for years. This was the work that Zelazny worked on through his career. I think it is what he wrote for fun. It isn't complicated but it is epic.

Imagine that there is only one true world and it casts "shadows" that make up the rest of the worlds. All are variations of that true world, Amber. Or are they? Another order vs chaos though this story
Graeme Rodaughan
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves exceptionally well written fantasy.
I'm going to read the whole of this book in 2019, in order (most recently read at top.)

nn/Aug/19: 6. The Trumps of Doom: - Up next. Pending other BRs beginning in July/19.

14/Jun/19: 5. The Courts of Chaos: - First duty, then liberty shall be the whole of the law.

Corwin, prince of Amber rises to face the threat of existential obliteration of all he holds dear. In the process discovering that his most defining characteristic is duty to others.

Surrounded by tragedy, insanity, and a philosophi/>14/Jun/19:/>nn/Aug/19:
Evgeny
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This book has a special place on my bookshelf. It was the second fantasy series I read after LotR. These two are the reasons I love fantasy genre. Since that time no other books forced me to use my imagination to the same extent as Amber. Each book (there are 10) completely changed how I thought Amber world works. Some people feel the last five books are weaker than the first five, but they are still very entertaining (my feeling - Corwin is better storyteller than Merlin).

For those curious how
Whitaker
Update (Please read this first before complaining about my rating)

People keep complaining that my 1 star is unfair because some books were better than others. Here's how I see this work. I don't see it as different books the way one would read say an Agatha Christie novel. Each Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple mystery is a stand alone even if characters recur from book to book. They are meant to be read as stand alone novels and should be treated as such.

This book, on the other hand, is clearly
Ana Tijanić
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Corwin Cycle - 5
The Merlin Cycle - 4
Elena C.
Nine Princes in Amber: ★★★✰✰
The Guns of Avalon: ★★✰✰✰

Such a hard couple of books to give a rating for. The worldbuilding is spectacular. The overall story arc of the series is truly ambitious in its epic scope: Zelazny's writing serves such a vast narrative well - dry and to the point, sometimes witty, other times quietly poetic. I find the pace to be a bit unbalanced in places, but even in their slower moments, both Nine Princes in Amber and Guns of Avalon make up for the lack of action thanks to t
Mayim de Vries
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Please note: this review applies only to the Corwin Cycle as I have never particularly liked Dara or cared about Merlin.

Can you imagine a world without fantasy books? Can you remember your world before you had read your first one?*

I can.

I snatched the Nine Princes in Amber from my Father’s shelf and read it during one afternoon. Then I returned to him – seated in his usual armchair – and asked him breathlessly: “Dad, are there more books like this one?” When he nodded, I knew my world is about to chanone?
Bradley
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was still new to fantasy, having been a hardcore horror and sci-fi fan, then going through all of Zelazny's other works, when I decided to sit down to these stories.
Seriously, I was impressed with the easy progression into a multi-universe view delineated between ultimate order and ultimate chaos. Gorgeous magic system where you follow mandalas, epic battles, and the almost requisite tripe of amnesia. (Oh, sorry, i meant trope.) I loved the first 5 books better than the second 5, but Mer
Manuel Antão
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1980
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Magic Undercover: "The Amber Series" by Roger Zelazny

(Original Review, 1980)

1 - The Amber series has had a great impact on the field they say.

I have serious doubts about whether that is true. I will leave someone else to develop those arguments. However, in any case Farmer's WORLD OF TIERS series does NOT support this contention. The AMBER series is derived from the WORLD OF
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is all 10 books of the Amber series, but is not complete. It is nice to have them all in one place, but the book is a paperback & a bit delicate due to the size. Unless you're extremely careful, you'll only get a few reads out of this & it's a doorstop to put most others to shame. I prefer the smaller paperbacks for normal reading.

The biggest lack in this book is it doesn't have the prologue to Trumps of Doom, but only the HB issued by the book club had that, I think. It's also in Manna
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Roger Zelazny's Amber series is one of the best sci-fi/fantasy epics ever written. Not only was it highly imaginative and original when it was published (in the 70s and 80s), but it remains so -- there's nothing else like it.

Corwin and his brothers and sisters are clever, sophisticated, sarcastic, and extremely ambitious. They constantly scheme and plot to outmaneuver each other as they vie for political power. If you knew these people in real li
Foomy
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
The name Zelazny is used in conjunction with words like "Classic" and "Quintessential" high fantasy. So I went into this dictionary-sized tome with high expectations of fantastic locations, rules, and characters. I got the first two.

The idea of Amber, being the only "real" world, with countless other "shadow" worlds branching off (think alternate universes, but not quite), is a great concept. Unfortunately, I'm a big fan of strong characters and their growth, and I just didn't find t
Danyell
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with a pulse
Recommended to Danyell by: Barry the magnificent
I read this book during huricane Ivan, when three of my four homes (My dorm, My Parent's house, and my boyfriend's house) were pretty much falling down around me. A very awesome guy named Barry lent me his battered copy...and by battered I mean well loved. This book filled a lot of space that could have been spent in what Floridians know as a huricane coma. No lights, no Phone, no tv, just snuggling,reading and occasional looting!
I't will definately take you at least a week to read this
Emily
agh, ten books 1200 pages i am obsessive and can't quit reading a book i have started even when i know it will be pointless to finish and i have already read 500 pages!
i do not know what these other people are talking about! the first i would say three books were pretty good, then it kind of lost its train of thought, hmmm really wish i had never started this epic tale i wouldnt have wasted three weeks (i mean three weeks!!!!) of my life. i could have read like six to twelve other books in the
Chris Gager
I rescued this monster some few years ago, probably from the local transfer station and have been eyeballing it ever since. My latest sci-fi read was less than 200 pages so I feel justified in re-visiting that part of my book shelves. I read "Damnation Alley' a while back and liked it a lot and have likely read at least some short stories by RZ as well. So here we go off to a good start as RZ gets the action started right away. He's a pretty straight-forward writer. Blunt even. The prose isn't w ...more
Chris
May 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Well, it took about two months, but I finished the "Great Book of Amber." I feel a little better knowing that it was technically TEN books in one, but only moderately better. It was partially due to things going on in the "real world", but for some reason this book was a fairly slow read for me.

My initial reactions after the first "book" were that:
1) I enjoyed the world/characters
2) I thought the author was very imaginative and had some cool ideas
3) I didn't like th
Kimberley doruyter
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
as a whole this series is the most fantastical fantasy world i have as yet come across.
i did like the first five a little better then the last five.
i loved the character of corwin, he was wonderful and unlike most of the rest of his family he seemed to have more good then bad.
his son has much the as history.
i recommend this book to all how have read fantasy before, it is something different from the mainstream of the genre.
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
Nine Princes of Amber: It was an ok story. Not great, but not bad. I sort of got annoyed with the faux-medieval language towards the end, and I didn't care that much about the characters, but the cliff-hanger ending did leave me curious and wanting to read the next in the series.

I was a bit annoyed that none of the sisters are relevant characters.

The Guns of Avalon: I just finished this yesterday, and had to think a minute to recall what happened. It was anti-climac
Milo
The Great Book of Amber is trippy people! Roger Zelazny is unlike any other author I have ever read before. He is disinterested in details and gives cursory descriptions of areas and people. Instead he focuses more closely on plot and the thoughts of the main character. The plot always centers around the search for answers. The setting is quite unique and interesting to learn about. Zelazny never makes his reader go through info-dumps and I found it interesting to puzzle out the workings of his ...more
Roger
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
4 stars is a misleading rating for this collection of 10 books. The first 5 (Corwin Books) deserve a full 5 stars. The Corwin books (1-5) are among my favorite fantasy books of all time. Thanks to fellow GoodReads member "I. Curmudgeon" for recommending them.

Books 6-10 (Merlin Books) deserve 4 stars each...not as good as their predecessors but still good books in their own right. Merlin, son of Corwin, is a much more sympathetic protagonist than his old man...and less interesting by
Kriss
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is in the top three of my favorite books (well the whole thing is how I read it) of all time! I LOVE LOVE LOVE these books, LOVE the world of Amber, LOVE everything about it. We are on copy number three in the house because we read it all the time, it is right next to my classics! The BEST epic fantasy novel(s) OUT THERE!Zelazny is one of my heros!~
Lori
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As a collected series on the whole, this is a wonderful group of novels; however, several are standouts, including the first three. Remember to try to pace yourself :)
Ross Kitson
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’ll readily confess that I’ve dipped in and out of Roger Zelazny’s Great Book of Amber for many months, partly because other books intruded, partly because of the natural break half way through the tome, and partly because no work since George RR Martin’s ongoing Song of Fire and Ice has generated such conflicting emotion within me.
Zelazny’s most famous work is a ten book series, which is divided into two five book story arcs. The first was released in the Seventies, and follows a Prince
J. McClain
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'd read the first series many years ago, that is to say the first five novels comprising the exploits of Corwin of Amber, and adored it. Much later I found out that he'd written a second set of five novels about Amber and Chaos, so I went ahead and bought The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles, 1-10. The first time around, in re-reading the first five and reading the second five for the first time, I felt somewhat disappointed in the latter half. I'm guessing part of it is becau ...more
Arthur
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, loved, re-read
A masterpiece
Clearly one of the best series I have read.

I read the first 5 books about 10 years ago (1995), however, I didn't like them.
A few month ago, I gave it another try and I just could not put the book down. I guess I was not ready for the The Great Book of Amber 10 years ago. Some of my friends kept on telling me that only the first 5 are interesting and then only the first 2 books, the rest are boring, especially the 5 last books. I must totally disagree with the
Soo
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
When I bought this book, I had no idea who Roger Zelazny was or a clue about Amber. I only picked it up because I couldn't find any new releases by Tad Williams, Michelle West, or Janny Wurts. The book was huge and the synopsis piqued my interest. I devoured the book in a handful of days and fell in love with Zelazny. I've read this series so often that I'm on my third copy of the book.

The story is about a powerful family who have the skills to travel between alternate realities. Of
MangoLoverReads
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25/5 — Series is fun, good stories. Also made me think about the deeper, conceptual sides of order and chaos. In fairness, some books in this series are better than others and it was a long time ago so I don’t remember which were which, but I’d say the series averages out to a bit over 4 stars for me.
Vicky
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
FINALLY finished this Goliath. Huge tome and was a little slow in parts. Overall it kept my interest and was a pretty good read. Didn't really care for the ending because after 1158 pages it was not solid and could have continued on lol. Won't be reading it again that is for sure!
Michael Drakich
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although listed as ten novels in one book, it really is only two. The first five follow the chronicles of Prince Corwin of Amber as he sets about the task of competing with his siblings to take the vacant crown. The second five follow the adventures of Prince Merlin, Prince Corwin's son. Despite the fact that the tales of Merlin follow chronologically, it is really stand alone from Corwin. Now that the division is clear, I have rated Corwin's saga differently than Merlin's.

In truth, I read the
Josh Bisker
Apr 06, 2011 is currently reading it
The start of this series is great, but jeezum crow, what was HarperCollins thinking with the format of this edition? They went through all the trouble of getting the rights and printing the thing, but the fifteen-pound tome is physically difficult to read, laughably inconvenient to transport, and inexcusably devoid of any kind of supportive structural writing--like an introduction, a foreword, an about the author, an about the series, or even a table of contents!

Wikipedia tells us th
SciFi and Fantasy...: 'Doh!' Moment 9 72 Mar 18, 2016 03:09PM
Sui Generis 2 29 Aug 15, 2014 11:08AM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny 19 97 Jul 21, 2013 01:38AM

• Five Novels of the 1960s & 70s: Martian Time-Slip / Dr. Bloodmoney / Now Wait for Last Year / Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said / A Scanner Darkly
  • Roger Zelazny's Chaos and Amber (The Dawn of Amber, #2)
  • Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • Press Enter
  • The Elric Saga Part II (Elric Saga, #4-6)
  • Sethra Lavode (Khaavren Romances, #3: The Viscount of Adrilankha, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Tales of the Dying Earth
  • Riddle-Master (Riddle-Master, #1-3)
  • Ill Met in Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #1-2)
  • Even the Queen, & Other Short Stories
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels deal, one way o ...more

The Chronicles of Amber (10 books)
  • Nine Princes in Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #1)
  • The Guns of Avalon (The Chronicles of Amber #2)
  • Sign of the Unicorn (The Chronicles of Amber #3)
  • The Hand of Oberon (The Chronicles of Amber #4)
  • The Courts of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #5)
  • Trumps of Doom (The Chronicles of Amber #6)
  • Blood of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #7)
  • Sign of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #8)
  • Knight of Shadows (The Chronicles of Amber #9)
  • Prince of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #10)
“There's no such thing as civilization. The word just means the art of living in cities.” 118 likes
“When I said I wanted to die in my sleep, I meant I wanted to be stepped on by an elephant while making love.” 52 likes