Start by marking “Freddie Mercury” as Want to Read:
Freddie Mercury

Freddie Mercury

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  539 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Peter Freestone was Freddie Mercury's personal assistant for the last 12 years of his life. He lived with Mercury in London, Munich, and New York, and was with him when he died. This is the most intimate account of Mercury's life ever written.
Published October 1st 2001 by Omnibus Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Freddie Mercury, please sign up.

Ben Klenke Freddie Mercury by Peter Freestone is excellent, probably my favorite.

Freddie Mercury by Peter Freestone is excellent, probably my favorite.

Mercury and Me by Jim Hutton is good but has upset some because of the level of personal detail it includes, especially when he describes Freddie's death. Some have called his accuracy in some matters into question, but I found it very interesting.(less)
Quicksilver by Neal StephensonLucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury by Isaac AsimovFreddie Mercury by Peter FreestoneMercury by Ben BovaMercure by Amélie Nothomb
Mercury Rising
6 books — 9 voters
Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha ChristieMonk's Hood by Ellis PetersHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha ChristieStrong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers
Poison
138 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Etsudo
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have very mixed feelings towards "Freddie Mercury". Ultimately, this is a book worth reading if you are a Queen fan. It is barely a 2/5, however.

First of all, Peter is no writer. This book is a complete mess. We got 5 chapters (beautifully named Chapter 1 - Chapter 5), each containing random and unorganized thoughts. Topic 1. Topic 5. Topic 14. Back to topic 1. And so it goes... Few hours of organizing all the anecdotes could make a decently planned book. Someone wasn't in the mood for too muc
Annie
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Freestone (or "Phoebe" as he was nicknamed by Freddie) was Freddies assistant who lived in-house and went on tours, making arrangements, buying and preparing clothes and costumes for the band, arranging refreshments etc. So it comes as no surprise that this man has been given an insight into this incredibly talented mans life that not many can boast. I have known Queen from very young as I have an older brother who was a big fan in the 80s, so I knew their stuff really well before I was really o ...more
Sheri Gill
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this about a year ago and just bought it to re-read using Kindle apps on my Ipad. I love Freddie and this book was very informative about his 'famous years'. I didn't want to read too much about his childhood or before the band, so this was wonderful in that respect. It did, however, have a bit too much of the author's life it, it was pretty 'I did this for Freddie and when I went to Freddie's..." kind of thing. Yet, if you look at it as a first-hand account of the time spent with Freddie ...more
Pietro
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm going slightly mad

Penso che i libri pubblicati sulla figura di Freddie Mercury rendano un pessimo servizio alla sua memoria. Passino le memorie bislacche del suo ultimo compagno, che non erano altro che un resoconto delle spese del cantante; mi aspettavo sicuramente qualcosa di più pregnante da una persona che ha lavorato per lui notte e giorno per dodici anni, come l'autore di questo libro.
Mi è andata male, perché dell'Artista non si parla se non da lontanissimo. In compenso preparatevi a
Sandeep
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
What I liked -

- Could get to know about Freddie Mercury as a person.
- What made him perform better or with more zeal, was it confrontation?
- Got to know about Queen concerts/gigs which happened and the years.
- How the band used to prepare/rehearse, what went into the song writing.
- Where the songs were recorded.
- How Freddie spent his time after concerts, breaks, was it shopping or was it partying?

What I disliked -

- There was way too much information, on tour dates, places, concerts.
- Many of
Marija S.
Dojmu zbrkanog i nekoheretnog pisanja osobe koja za to nema talent nije pomogao niti osrednji/loš prijevod. Da se nije radilo o kome se radilo, ne vjerujem da bi knjigu bila pročitala do kraja.
Zauberlehrling!
Oct 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
The most boring book I have ever read.
Frankie
Recensione: http://thereadingpal.blogspot.it/2017...

"Ma Freddie che tipo era in realtà?"

Chi non conosce i Queen? (*ahem* Mia madre, con mio sommo rammarico...) Più che altro, il membro che è più conosciuto è Freddie Mercury, di cui ci parla Peter Freestone, una delle persone più vicine al cantante durante gli ultimi anni della sua vita. Peter era infatti l'assistente di Freddie Mercury, e gli è rimasto vicino fino all'ultimo.
Adoro le canzoni dei Queen, anche se devo essere in un certo "mood" pe
Un libro e una tazza di tè
Per colpa mia che non ho letto bene la sinossi dando per scontato di cosa parlasse una biografia, sono rimasta un pò delusa dalla prima metà del libro. Pensavo che ci venisse presentata la storia di Freddie dall'infazia a come era diventato famoso invece ci troviamo subito nel vivo della carriera del cantante showman. L'amico, collega e manager di Freddie ci parla specialmente del lavoro che è stato fatto dai Queen analizzando come vennero scritti i testi e poi girati i video delle canzoni. Nell ...more
Jeanette
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of a kind...

So talented, so artistic. Peter freestone has given us a glimpse of freddie's life. It was interesting to read about Freddie's home. His appreciation of art and antiques was something I didn't know. His love of cats? I appreciate that as I am a cat lover myself.
Never got to see Queen in person. My loss..super talented, easily one of the best bands ever.
You are missed...😢
Irene Mallory
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-written biography

Very big thanks to Peter for making this book happen. A well-written insight into Freddie's life from the perspective of a man who truly loved and respected him. Although the style is generally lighthearted (with some really funny moments at times!), the last chapters were heartbreaking. And those small details...like places Freddie would go to or perfumes he would usually wear, make him so much closer than ever before.
Adam
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite an interesting read and well written too. For those of us not around when all this was going on, being clearer on the dates would've helped.
Eleonora
Mar 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written and awfully boring. Are we sure this guy was actually so close to Freddie? This book is more a Peter Freestone’s than a Freddie Mercury’s biography.
Elaf Sabah
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
when i first started this book; i was afraid i would be stuck with useless information since the first chapter was basically about places he traveled too, the tours, the boy friends in very random way but most of all i was afraid that the author is someone who didn't know freddie well. but with the next chapters i started to love it since he is "the author" a very honest man, he never claimed to know everything but he always told things the way they were.. and as i started to see that freddie on ...more
Carolyn
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Informative !

The Author of Freddie Mercury was excellent,truthful and very Kind! To all people he has mentioned. Freddie Mercury was a True Genius and HIS MUSIC WILL LIVE ON.
Leah Rubke
Feb 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Thought it would be way more compelling but was the worst biography I have ever read.
Nancy
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book starts out very mundane and list-y; Peter Freestone spends the first half of the book listing various roles he filled for Freddie as his PA, lists events, etc. The second half, however, is very compelling. It is a combination of the everyday life and very banal existence of Freddie et al at Garden Lodge and the the extremely poignant final weeks of Freddie's life. On the one hand, it was a little uncomfortable for me to read about some of these very private moments. I believe that Fred ...more
Deia Skitalica
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
The details of this book are excruciating, and, as much as I wanted to know more about Freddie behind the scenes, I found reading about all the particulars tedious. However, what seems very clear is that Freestone immensely cared about Freddie and it's good that Freddie had someone like him around all those years.
From the many interviews available on youtube and his Ask Phoebe blog, Peter seems to be a positive individual whom Freddie trusted and, despite the very intimate points made in differe
Tinka Pavlovic
Moram priznati da sam od ove knjige ocekivala mnogo vise. Autor nedovoljno vesto barata recima i ne uspeva da svoje misli i osecanja prenese citaocu. Cesto prelazi sa jednog dogadjaja na drugi, bez vremensko odredjenja, pa to deluje prilicno haoticno. Prevod je cini mi se jos slabija karika jer sam naisla na pregrst gramatickih gresaka, a prevodilac u nekim trenucima kao da ne zna tacno o cemu se radi
Bez obzira na velike nedostatke, knjigu sam brzo procitala i uspela sam da saznam neke pojedinos
Joy
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have heard mixed reviews about this book and some stated that it didn't put Freddie Mercury in the best light. I disagree. It put him in an honest light. Not everything in life is peaches and cream. Nor are relationships. They are messy, complicated and tough. This book expresses the view of one person that knew Freddie. One person that had a relationship with Freddie, an honest, complicated, messy and tough relationship with him. It's a great read for someone that wanted to know the real side ...more
Sophia
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not at all what I was expecting in a Freddie Mercury biography. It's more of a Peter Freestone memoir that reads like diaries entries exclusively from the 10-15-ish years that he knew Freddie. Very poorly written and offered very little analysis or thoughtful insight into the details of Freddie's personality and relationships. It was a book more of who/what/where/when, rather than "why?". I still enjoyed reading about his day to day life and his creative process, but I honestly don't feel like I ...more
ida
I'd heard so much about this book and was looking forward to reading it, but unfortunately wasn't very impressed with it. I wanted to like it more than I actually did, I think. Content wise, it was pretty interesting and I liked the details that the author provided us with. You could tell he really loved Freddie. However, you could also tell that Peter's no writer. I thought this book was unorganized and a bit all over the place, to the point where it was difficult to read even.
Suzie
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Knížka, kterou napsal někdo, kdo Freddieho fakt dobře znal. Je tam spousta zajímavostí z Freddieho běžnýho života, ale na druhou stranu pětistránkovej popis Freddieho domu nebyl zrovna zábavnej. Knížka je psaná trochu nelogicky (nejde chronologicky), v kapitolách skáče z jedný věci na druhý, ale dozvěděla jsem se spoustu zajímavejch věcí. Takže určitě doporučuju, ale spíš pro lidi, co už o Queenech a Freddiem něco vědi a chtěj se dozvědět víc.
vmad7
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
so after watching a Queen doco i wanted to read a Freddie bio and this was OK for some extra info but this dude is clearly not a writer (he was Freddie's PA) so you can imagine not a very exciting read. the worst part was the 30 or so pages devoted entirely to every detail of all his home furnishings in each of his houses...who cares dude???
Kojo Baffoe
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
While Freestone doesn't give much in terms of Freddie Mercury's background - in particular pre-Queen - he does give a poignant account of Mercury's life from the time he started working for him. While an employee, he also had unprecedented insight into Mercury's life right up till the end. It is a warm account although there were a couple of points that I found tedious. Definitely worth the read.
JerJe
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: true-stories
Sad how he just went into his room, resigned maybe to the tune of "I get lonely, so lonely, living on my own".. I wish someone had told him about Dr. Ann Wigmore's cure of cancer and Raw Foodism. :-/
Mandy
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
As other reviewers have said, this book was written by someone on the fringe of Freddy's world, not a friend or confidante. Reading this book doesn't give the reader a real sense of who Freddy was. It was a disorganized collection of observations with few illuminating moments.
Paolo Rinco
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Mi incuriosiva la vita di questa rock star. Un tipo interessante che non ha mai dimenticato le sue umili origini. Amato e mai veramente ricambiato. Molto generoso. Un grande talento. Molti dei locali e luoghi di Londra menzionati nel libro mi hanno riportato alla mente bei ricordi!
linda sweeney
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative

Very informative

I found this book to be very informative. I learned a lot about Freddie. He was a great musician and will always live on in our lives through his music.

• Freddie Mercury: His Life in His Own Words

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99