Start by marking “Rough Justice” as Want to Read:

(Sean Dillon #15)

Dispatched by the President to report on the state of troubled Kosovo, his trusted agent Blake Johnson runs into a military man there named Harry Miller, who has the same task from the British Prime Minister. They band together just in time to stop a Russian officer from torching a mosque -- or rather, Miller stops him, with a bullet to the forehead.

This action will have c
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published August 19th 2008 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Rough Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rough Justice

Start your review of Rough Justice
==Anne==
Apr 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to give anything a one star rating but I had such a difficult time with this book. There were just WAY too many characters introduced. It was like walking down a busy street and meeting every single person and learning at least two things about them. The problem is after meeting them and thinking ok, here's where the book gets going - no, it didn't. Just kept meeting character after character and then not seeing them in the story again. Just get on with the plot - enough with the 2100 cha ...more
Diane Large
Jun 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book. Too many characters, very confusing, and all over the place.
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rating says it all, really.
Sam
This is a rather complicated but still enjoyable thriller that is packed with action, conspiracy and dirty dealings as Sean Dillon is called in to help with the aftermath of Blake Johnson;s and Major Harry Miller's interference in Kosovo, interference the Russians didn't take kindly to at all. And so begins a traditional battle of good versus evil, a battle fought in the shadows but with civilian casualties that leads to a quest for revenge like none other.
Steve
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
July 2018 I was surprised to see that I'm one of the few Goodreaders to give ***** on this story. I had mentally told myself that I should back off on anymore ***** for Jack Higgins but this story was such a page turner and the new characters were quite likable that I gave *****. This is escape writing at its BEST!!! (Well, as far as I'm concerned.) I would have thought that most Higgins followers would have loved this story as I did!
Manogna
Apr 24, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hands down one of the worst experiences reading a book. There were far too many characters and I cared for none. There was no clear flow in the story and too many jump points. The reader is bombarded with so much information that he just cant register it and ends up not understanding one bit. The writing style was horrible in my opinion, not something written with a reader's perspective in mind. This book gave me a headache.
Donn Lorber
Sean Dillon, a really easy read, very well done.
Tom Tischler
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While checking up on a volatile situation in Kosovo the U S Presidents right hand man Blake
Johnson meets Major Harry Miller a member of the British cabinet. Miller is there doing
his own checkup for the British Prime Minister. Both men get involved with a group of
Russian soldiers about to commit an atrocity. Miller ends the scuffle by shooting the ring
leader. This action has dire consequences not only for Miller and Johnson but also their
associates including Sean Dillon and all the way to the t
Will
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Action adventure junkies
John
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Higgins fans
Shelves: novels
I am a sucker for a Higgins novel about Sean Dillon. I would love to see him serialized in movies much like James Bond was.
The problem is that after a dozen or so novels revolving around a character, or in this case a group of characters, it becomes hard to write anything innovative.
Enter Harry Miller, MP, Prine Minister's right hand man, and deadly killer.
As much a match for Dillon as ever existed, it is a shame that he only now appears in a book where Charles Ferguson's gang of theives and
Bryan Higgs
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I decided it was time for me to read a "trashy novel", had a bunch of Jack Higgins novels lying around, and picked this one up. It is certainly a trashy novel. The characters were shallow and black-and-white, the dialog was completely off for the situation, and the plot (so-called) was a complete disaster. I actually made it to the end, but that was surprising.

This is the second Jack Higgins novel I've read in the past month or two, and neither of them was worth the time to read. I just get the
Leo
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mi6
Starts out with Harry Miller, retired Major member of parliament,meeting with his counterpart Blake Johnson, who works in the basement of the White House hookd up together in Kosovo where Harry shot a Russian Captain who had cross boundaries and was abusing some of the Muslim pesants. Once back in London the Prime Minister asked Harry to join forces with Gen. Fergusons group (Roper,the Salters,Dillon) The action goes back and forth from the Al Quaida to the Russians in their interest to become a ...more
Craig Leimkuehler
For a high school freshman this was an ambitious novel....but wait this was written by a middle aged man with multiple degrees and a successful track record. For me this was so badly written it almost a parody. The characters are one dimensional and unbelieveable. A member of the British Parliment is a spy in his spare time who kills evil doers while his wife is an acclaimed actress and the press doesn't notice. Villains fold with a stern warning and an angry glare or they are shot between the e ...more
Anie
I hadn't read any Jack Higgins novels since I was about 14, and I'm not certain if either this was a poorer novel than those I had read then, or if my critical faculties have grown that much since, but I was not particularly satisfied with this novel. It's an easy read, to its detriment; the political intriguing is shallow, the prose is not particularly good, and it goes far too fast for its own good. I felt like I was reading a decent fanfiction, not a published novel. Disappointing, in that I ...more
Henri Moreaux
If you haven't given up already on the Sean Dillon series due to the lacklustre writing then you might be surprised to find the franchise is refreshed in this novel with the entry of a new character - Harry Miller.

Your surprise however is quickly subdued upon the realisation that other than a new character the plot line and characters are still one dimensional and dull. Witty "off the cuff" remarks suddenly seem not so witty and off the cuff when you can remember them being used in prior novels
Jeanie
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: higgins_jack
Unless you're inclined to go all the way back to the first appearance of Sean Dillon as Higgins' protagonist, this is a good place to jump in (it's #15) as a couple of new characters are introduced giving Ferguson's British group a bit more depth and adding another link to their connection to the US President. I read the next in the series before reading this one without losing much in the way of the backstory but hope to proceed through the series in order.... oh to live in a place with a huge ...more
John
Jun 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first time reading Jack Higgins. It was interesting, not great, but the pace was fast and the dialogue flowed quickly. The whiskey flowed too -- these guys drink so much I felt lightheaded sometimes. I would have liked more character development -- by the halfway point, I couldn't keep them all straight. Some of the characters seemed like cardboard cutouts. But, all in all, a good read for a vacation.
Mark
An introduction to a new character to Ferguson's group...as they confront a threat to the new character and the group themselves...enemies from all side including radical Jihadists, old Irish revolutionaries and the rising Russians...I think I've read this one earlier in one of my reading flurries & forgot to include it in Goodreads...really not my fault...keeping track of Jack Higgin's titles is as troubling as keeping track of Dick Francis' titles ...more
Ed
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#15 in the Sean Dillon series.

Sean Dillon and the Prime Ministers secret force are joined by Harry Miller, an MP who has performed delicate missions for the PM. With assistance from Blake Johnson, the team tackles the Islamists, Russians and ex-IRA terrorists whose common link is The Broker. Miller's actress wife is killed in an attempt to assassinate him and his sister Monica is attracted to Dillon.
Angie
I have read almost everything written by Jack aka Harry Patterson and I must say the last few books have been disappointing. NOT THIS ONE!!! I loved it! From the very first page to the last. Sean Dillon is one of my all time favorite characters. I know this was not about him persay, but I loved the twists and turns. It is about time!
Ginny
Same old same old, with Higgins, why do I think each book just might be different. If you have read any of his Sean Dillion books you have read this one, a new character, or rather a new name, but not really, is it really necessary to have 2 Harry's and 2 Monica's. I think this time I will mean it when I say I am done with HIggins.
Carrol
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out slowly but did pick up about halfway through. As with many of Higgins books this one had Sean Dillon, former IRA assassin now British agent as one of the main characters. There is international intrigue and a bit of a love story. It was interesting but to me a lot of Higgins books are pretty similar....
Tim Dudek
Read this while on a series of flights across the country. The guy in front of me left it on his seat. Not a great read by any stretch, but it contained enough action and interest to fill the time on the plane and the layovers in between. Shallow characters and unrealistic plot development abound.
Cheeky
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was my first Jack Higgins' book and I was looking forward to it. However I couldn't even finished it because the introduction of characters were confusing. Maybe if I choose another book to be introduced to Sean Dillon and find him more compelling. I'll definitely try another one of his books again since his style of writing is wonderful and compelling.
Bruce
I enjoyed the book, but, then again, I enjoy all the books of this series. This is another one in the Sean Dillon series. This time, however, he introduces a new character, Major Harry Miller, and this creates a new dynamic. For anyone reading Jack Higgins or this series, you will find this a great read.
Marcia
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It took me forever to get all of the characters straight as they weren't introduced to the story very carefully. Too, Mr. Higgins' writing style is mediocre. To give an example, one of his lines in the story was "A good time was had by all." I just think a well known author should avoid common sayings that one might read in a letter from a friend or a family member.
James Saunders
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rough Justice

When I started to read this book I haven't stopped till I finished the book. Some action thrillers I can read some, do something else, read some more,read the newspaper and finish the book. With Jack Higgins' books the first time through I read till it's finished. Most certainly I recommend the book.
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was glad Sean Dillon actually played the hero in this book. In the previous two or three books he hardly had any scenes...almost like it wasn't the same series. Honestly, I was kind of getting a bit bored even though the stories were still very good. Anyway, he saved the day again and now he's in love? Hmmm, I'll keep reading to find out what happens between Sean and Monica!
Jack
Oct 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have almost always enjoyed the adventure/spy novels written by Jack Higgins, but there was a disappointment to this - all action and little delving into motivations. It really did hinge upon one having read many of his previous novels to create a deeper perspective of the main characters.
Joyce
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Higgins on and off for years. This was one of his better ones. The protagonists are all old "friends" (with friends like this you really don't need any enemies.) The villains are all believable and credible. The plot ran true and it was a great read.
« previous 1 3 next »
Harry Miller 1 3 Apr 15, 2012 09:29PM

• The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)
  • Year of the Tiger (Paul Chavasse #2)
  • Dark Side of the Street (Paul Chavasse #5, Simon Vaughn #1)
  • Bloody Passage
  • The Graveyard Shift
  • The Zebra-Striped Hearse
  • The Officers' Club
  • A Fine Night for Dying (Paul Chavasse #6)
  • The Monarchy: A Critique of Britain's Favourite Fetish (Counterblasts #10)
  • For the Sake of Argument: Essays and Minority Reports
  • Traitor
  • A Long Short War: The Postponed Liberation of Iraq
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
  • Pay The Devil
  • The Way Some People Die
  • History and Utopia
  • The New Class War: Saving Democracy from the Managerial Elite
  • The Man Who Counts
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the best known of the many pseudonyms of Henry Patterson. (See also Martin Fallon, Harry Patterson, Hugh Marlowe and James Graham.)

He is the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Midnight Runner (Sean Dillon, #10)

News & Interviews

“THERE IS an old saying that in Belfast it rains five days out” 0 likes
“up to fifty thousand pounds for Miller’s death.”     VOLKOV OBVIOUSLY CALLED the Broker about it, too, because it wasn’t much more” 0 likes