Start by marking “The Buccaneers” as Want to Read:
The Buccaneers

The Buccaneers

Nan and Jinny St George have both wealth and beauty in generous supply. In the New York society of the 1870s, however, only those with old money can achieve the status of the elite, and it is here that the sisters seem doomed to failure.

Nan's new governess, Laura Testvalley, herself an outsider, takes pity on their plight and launches them instead on the unsuspecting Briti
Paperback, TV Series Tie-In Edition, 414 pages
Published January 26th 1995 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about The Buccaneers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buccaneers

Candi
"First, the Romans had come. Then the Angles, Jutes, and Saxons. Then the Danes terrorized England for three centuries. Norman pirates took the country over in 1066. Five centuries later Turks raided the Thames and took prisoners to sell in the Libyan slave-market… But never had there been any phenomenon to match this… – this ‘invasion of England by American women and their chiefs of commissariat, the silent American men’…"

This is by no means a high seas adventure story and you won’t find any sw
Sara
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Buccaneers is Edith Wharton’s last and uncompleted novel. She had written approximately 89,000 words before her death and the novel was printed in its incomplete form by her publisher. In 1993 Marion Mainwaring, a noted Wharton scholar, completed the story, in line with notes that Wharton had left behind. She did a good job, since there is no obvious break in the voice between the beginning of the book and the end, but it seems clear to me that no one, even a great scholar, could ever know e ...more
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've fallen in love, readers!

It took me about 12 hours from start to finish to read the last of Wharton's novels, left unfinished for decades and then completed in Wharton's style by scholar Marion Mainwaring. As I mentioned earlier, I've watched the PBS series three times now and there's something about it that gets to me. Perhaps because it's sexier and funnier and looser than what one would expect from the era, and because [SPOILER ALERT:] its ending which actually arises from Wharton's notes
Madeline
I found a copy of this book in a used bookstore, and hesitated before finally caving and buying it. I loved The Age of Innocence, but (as I learned from reading the book jacket while in the store) The Buccaneers is unfinished. Wharton wrote about 89,000 words of the story before dying in 1937, and Wharton scholar Marion Mainwaring picked up where the book left off and finished the novel. There's a note at the end about how Mainwaring made some changes to Wharton's draft to account for later chan ...more
Misfit
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The St. George and Elmsworth families are *new money* and looking for brighter prospects for their daughters in the marriage market so they hie off to England looking for Dukes and Earl with aging homes in need repairs that only cold hard cash can bring them. The young ladies make their splash, make their marriages and then no surprise, have to lie in those beds that they've made for themselves. Some are successful, others not so - despite a very promising beginning.

"But it's rather lonely some
Brian Poole
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Buccaneers proved to be an interesting bookend for the career of Edith Wharton.

Wharton had completed about two-thirds of The Buccaneers when she died in 1937. For decades, it appeared in “unfinished” form. But in the early ‘90s, Wharton expert Marion Mainwaring completed the book, based on Wharton’s own high level synopsis.

The Buccaneers proved to be an apt companion piece to Wharton’s most famous novel, The Age of Innocence. Set in the same time period, it focused on a group of “new money”
Elizabeth (Alaska)
This seemed a bit lighter than others by Wharton that I've read. Perhaps that is because this was her last novel, and unfinished. She didn't live to revise, and I think this simply her first draft. It was completed by another author. Mainwaring did a good job of this as the transition was seamless, and it wasn't until I'd read the last page that I knew where Wharton left off and Mainwaring began.

That said, the ending is weaker than what I might expect from Wharton. As with other authors I've co
Jessica
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 18+
Shelves: classics, fiction
Susan
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Buccaneers is a romantic anti-romance novel, if that makes any sense. Five young American daughters of fortunate financial speculators, finding themselves excluded from the crustiest New York society, begin to marry into an extended family of English nobility. As attractive as marrying into the top tier of society initially seems, navigating their responsibilities to ancestral mansions, families and tenants brings unhappiness, particularly for the youngest, Nan, who has married a duke who wa ...more
Dawn
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The synopsis for this 1938 edition for The Buccaneers (appearing above) is completely wrong! Who wrote that?! No swashbuckling pirates, here! Edith Wharton's "novel" was published as a lightly edited, incomplete manuscript in the year following her death. It was sure to have been her masterpiece!
The "Buccaneers" are 5 nouveau riche American girls who, steered by an English-Italian (cousin to artist/poet D.G. Rosetti) governess, "invade" the Bristish peerage in the 'seventies (1870's).
While later
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
See discussion in the Reading for Pleasure group/Buddy Reads/July 2016
Nancy Oakes
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-fiction
After reading The House of Mirth I was so depressed that I promised myself I'd never read another book by Edith Wharton, but this one turned out differently (thank god) and I couldn't put it down.

more soon but for now, it was a solidly good read.
classic reverie
An unfinished work finished with class.

I was wondering how this unfinished novel of Wharton would read with a modern writer taking up the task & I was pleased with it but kept wondering how Edith would have ended it. I loved this story & found the governess a memorable character not soon to be forgotten. The Buccaneers is an unfinished work by Edith Wharton (1862-1937) which was published as that in 1938 by her publisher. That version is not at this time available on Kindle but I would b
Janez
The content of The Buccaneers could well and wholly be summed up by the French proverb "L'argent ne fait pas le bonheur." Neither do the titles of nobility and everything that goes with it.
Wharton's choice of theme for this novel is twofold. First, it shows the collision of two civilisations, where the world of the blase British nobility, considered by itself to be the pinnacle of the excellence, is invaded by the American parvenus. This would be of no importance if the American intruders weren'
Judy
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this novel is unfinished and Wharton would have done a lot of revision, there is still a lot of her wonderful prose and it is very interesting to see her looking back at the 1870s from the 1930s, which in places allow her to be sexually franker than she could in her earlier works. The novel centres on a group of young American women who marry British men and struggle to fit into British high society, and there are some powerfully-drawn characters, including the heroine, Annabel ("Nan"), ...more
RunRachelRun
Oh my God, if someone could resurrect the dead and had enough magic potion for one person, I would choose Madame Wharton. It devastates me that even if I visit the "W" shelf at the library a million times over, as if I were a pilgrim visiting a holy shrine, on my bleeding and torn knees, there will never be a new Wharton book propped there for me to read for the very first time. I guess I should be grateful that there are authors out there who inspire such devotion, dead or otherwise.
Eliza
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ce roman riche et foisonnant reprend le thème très prisé par Henry James de la rencontre entre la nouvelle Amérique et la vieille Europe. Cette opposition est encore renforcée par le choix de personnages féminins pour les Américains et de personnages presque exclusivement masculins pour les Anglais. Edith Wharton ne s’intéresse d’ailleurs que peu aux hommes dans ce récit, excepté les Thwarte, père et fils, confidents et amis respectifs de Miss Testvalley et d’Annabelle. Le roman se divise en qua ...more
Lobstergirl
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: plovers
Shelves: fiction, own

It's the 1870s, and the daughters of New York City's nouveau riche are being scorned by their social superiors. They are forced to vacation at Saratoga because they haven't gotten invitations to Newport. A clueless father humiliates his family by ensconcing them in a house on shlubby Madison Avenue rather than chic Fifth. Rejected at home, the four daughters set out for England to snare them some aristocratic husbands. They are the buccaneers.

Four stars for the portion Wharton wrote, which co-au
Jenn "JR"
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book and found it to be a very fast read. I was interested in it because I watched the BBC dramatization - which was heavily Americanized & modernized as it turns out. My chief exposure to Edith Wharton was the very short and quite depressing "Ethan Frome." I found that to be written in quite an impenetrable style and was turned off of her for years - until I saw the film and came across a copy of the book in a used bookstore.

The way she writes in "The Buccaneer
eghzarw
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Отличная книга, тот самый Толстый Роман для зимних вечеров, не очень быстрый, не очень медленный. Мог бы быть и толще, но, как известно, закончить его не успели. Ужасно жаль (по ощущениям, там не хватает еще примерно трети), но лучше уж так, чем с переработками и домыслами эпигонов. Оказалось, что единственным способом добыть оригинальный текст является покупка раннего издания конца 30х.

Эдит Уортон пишет о британской аристократии очень похоже на Исигуро: с уважением и порой восхищением, но все-
Galileosong
I have mixed feelings about this book. Edith Wharton is exceptionally skilled in describing interactions with people. She could write about the most boring subjects and still keep you enchanted with her writing.

The story in itself is not that thrilling or exciting, but I could not put the book down because of of how well it was written. However, near the last third of the book, completed by a different author, this changes. Gone are the beautiful descriptions and the story turns into some kind
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, american-lit
Lots of fun and often overlooked, this chronicles the marriage prospects of four daughters of nouveau riche Americans who hope to land cash-poor English aristocrats. After all, new fortunes can’t buy entrance to New York society, but the doors have to swing wide open if the families can boast a duke for an in-law. But can a titled marriage bring happiness? Of course not (at least not always), but the individual journeys make for great reading.
Annette
This book was finished by another author and frankly I just skimmed at end. I love Edith Wharton's writing but I think it was a mistake to let someone else finish this book. I thought the difference in writing styles was very obvious and it was a big let-down. The writing that I take to be Mainwaring's reads like a bad period romance.
skein
I hardly feel this book can be classified as an Edith Wharton -- she died before it was completed, and apparently even before it was fleshed out. The complete-r, one Marion Mainwaring (writing in 1993), stews the final chapters with injudicious parentheses, romance-novel prose (Nan is "a flower unfolding ... a rose in bloom") and exclamation points galore. God help us all.
Hilary Hicklin
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is quite often the case, Wharton's later work doesn't quite measure up to her earlier masterpieces, such as Ethan Frome, which is what I would recommend to anyone new to this writer, and being her last (unfinished) novel it lacks the polish of her other books. Marion Mainwaring has done a pretty good job of completing it though.

Wharton has fun exposing the petty snobberies of New York society as well as the pointless traditions of the British class system, as when the Dowager Duchess of Tint
Ariel
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I couldn't put this down last night; review to come.
Emilia Barnes
This might be an odd start to Wharton, but the subject matter intrigued me after having read a non-fiction book about the very phenomenon Wharton talks of here (American heiresses who, finding no entrance into the very rigid New York social scene, instead invaded the British aristocracy). The Buccaneers is unfinished, but Wharton reads like a Victorian Austen, fully as knowing about human nature, and almost as ready to take the piss out of everybody though not quite. I really enjoyed it and it i ...more
Margaret
Not my favorite setting or era, but a very engaging exploration of human nature - the nature of one young American girl in particular. Its fairytale-ish ending is flimsy and transparent, further commentary on the story as a whole. Disillusionment and fantasy exist side-by-side in Wharton's world, and they don't get along very smoothly. One can imagine that reality came crashing in just after the curtain fell.
Lisa
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The BBC did a much better mini series adaptation than the author did of writing it. I understand that she didn't finish and it was completed by a second author. Well that was the end of that. The delineation of character happened the same time as the new author started dabbling, if you will. Not great.
Jane
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I'm afraid that the book lost steam about 2/3 of the way through. For me, it became turgid and the and lost its magic. This is the second time I have read it and, sorry to say, I didn't like it any better the second time.
  • The Glitter and the Gold
  • The Edwardians
  • The Europeans
  • Miss Marjoribanks (Chronicles of Carlingford, #5)
  • Edith Wharton
  • Habits of the House (Love & Inheritance Trilogy, #1)
  • Inheritance: The Story of Knole and the Sackvilles
  • The Making of a Marchioness, Part I and II (Emily Fox-Seton #1-2)
  • The Last Summer
  • The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3)
  • The Cranford Chronicles
  • The Decline and Fall of the British Aristocracy
  • The Shooting Party
  • Aurora Floyd
  • The Brontës Went to Woolworths
  • My Mortal Enemy
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a ...more
“The greatest mistake is to think that we ever know why we do things...I suppose the nearest we can ever come to it is by getting what old people call 'experience.' But by the time we've got that we're no longer the persons who did the things we no longer understand. The trouble is, I suppose, that we change every moment; and the things we did stay.” 16 likes
“And for a long while they stood side by side without speaking, each seeing the other in every line of the landscape.” 10 likes