Start by marking “The Untied States of America: Polarization, Fracturing, and Our Future” as Want to Read:
The Untied States of America: Polarization, Fracturing, and Our Future

The Untied States of America: Polarization, Fracturing, and Our Future

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Can a country be like a marriage that has run out of cash and steam, resulting in the inevitable frank discussions about just who is pulling his or her own weight? Eventually, even those who love each other sometimes conclude they cannot stay together.

Juan Enriquez’s unique insights into the financial, political, and cultural issues we face will provoke shock and surprise
Published November 22nd 2005 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about The Untied States of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Untied States of America

Nicholas
A very interesting approach to presenting an argument. it's not as literary as it is visual. Lots of graphs, charts, and statistical data.
Harry H.
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enriquez's clear-headed thinking is always a pleasure.
Brian
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe now even more prescient.
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: politics
I had three major problems with this book.

1). The format is so precious that it draws attention to itself and away from the material, as if the author knows the material is too thin and manipulated to stand on its own. The jumbled format also helps to disguise the fact that some of his boldest assertions of "fact"--for example that human beings are evolved from various pre-human marker species--are unsupported by evidence in either text or notes.

2). The falsehoods he deploys in his argument are
Salena
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
The premise of this book, that America may break up into smaller parts or get new states at some point in the future, is convincing, and perhaps seems more probable now than when it was written pre-real estate crash, pre-Obama. It mainly argues this by showing that many other countries have broken up recently and enumerating some of the serious difficulties America is having with Native American relations, immigrant relations, red state vs. blue state stuff, etc.

However, the book reads like a se
Zeb
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
As I sometimes do, I just grabbed this book off a shelf in the library - I liked the cover and the word play - to find out at home if it's worth my time. Initially, I wanted to bring it straight back, unread, as I found the formatting like reading all the different posts on face book - for hours ... except, after a while I got it there was coherence to it, and the points being made are really interesting, namely, that countries and nations evolve and change, and what possible future scenarios fo ...more
Jonathan
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the premise of this book of America breaking up into different parts and what would happen.
Jake
May 04, 2013 rated it liked it
pretty quick read, somewhat disturbingly plausible.
Tasha
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Eh. Mostly a lot of facts, and not very well organized. He had some good things to say, but I think he could've found a more coherent way to present them.
Lawson
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I hate reading non-fiction, but I loved this book and its format. I may reread it now as the election looms.
Jamin Batman
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enriquez's overview of treaties with Indian tribes, er, nations...and the implications for the United States forms the most interesting aspect of this book.
Susan
Feb 15, 2013 added it
A must read
Doug Pfeffer
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Bunch of interesting ideas and facts scattered around an oddly formatted book.
Libero
Nov 28, 2014
Keith
rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2014
Ryan Reid
May 10, 2014
Melinda
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Continuing with my goal of 2017 to read one non-fiction book a month, 'Untied States of America' was interesting and unsettling. Published in 2005, some of the observations about the housing bubble were spooky.

Not written in a traditional narrative style, the book is a series of statistics and observations presented in different sized fonts with changing alignment. I found this arrangement graphically interesting and it helped make the book a quicker read for me, but no doubt some readers will f
Noura Noman
May 17, 2016
Jim Young
Jul 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Juan Enríquez Cabot is a Mexican-American academic, businessman, speaker and best selling author.
More about Juan Enriquez
“As religion starts to mix with politics, we have a culture that allows us to fall behind what were previously third world nations, because we are now treating science the way we did sex in the 1950s, banning or burying evolution theories and research into promising lifesaving areas such as stem-cell research.” 0 likes