Start by marking “The New Typography” as Want to Read:
The New Typography

The New Typography

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  680 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Since its initial publication in Berlin in 1928, Jan Tschichold's The New Typography has been recognized as the definitive treatise on book and graphic design in the machine age. At once a key theoretical document of Central European modernism between the world wars and an invaluable source of working principles for the practicing designer, this classic work enjoys the rep ...more
Published November 10th 1995 by University of California Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The New Typography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Typography

Erik
May 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graphic designers, anthropologists.
Like many folks who have read this book, I was simultaneously impressed with the intellect and repulsed by the arrogance Mr. Tschichold. This book is enlightening and maddeningly annoying. Nonetheless, it's essential reading to anyone who studies graphic design.

Feel free to skip the DIN charts in the back. Yeesh.
Azamat
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: designers
Что можно сказать? Книга написана в далекие 20-е годы, поэтому обладает как минусами, так и плюсами.

Плохого в ней то, что знания не достаточно прикладные. Т.е. прочитав книгу, вы не станете внезапно разбираться в типографике и шрифтах, потому что Чихольд много пишет о том, что гротеск заруливает и не нужно делать симметричный дизайн. Но в наше время, технологии ушли далеко вперед, поэтому нам нет смысла ограничивать себя одной рубленой гарнитурой.

Из хорошего можно узнать как зарождался практичн
Missy J
Between 2.5 and 3 stars.

Out of curiosity I picked this book. What is typography?

Jan Tschichold published this book in 1920 (almost a hundred years ago!) during a time when most of the newspapers, business letters, business cards... basically any printed form of text was wild and not standardized. For instance, the first letter of headlines would be ridiculously decorated and centered (instead of placed to the left). Business cards would appear in all types of different sizes instead of the now c
Erik
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting from a historical perspective.
Design|declan|hackett
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: typographers, graphic designers, web designers
If you have any interest in typography or graphic design, then this is one book you must read.

Tschoichold is the originator of almost all the principles of modern type layout, heavily influenced by the Constructivist art of Kandinsky and Moholy-Nagy. The famed "Swiss Movement" merely implemented the guidelines he sets out in this book. Any yet, he was largely written out of typographic history, because he later recanted and returned to more traditional centered layouts and serif fonts. He descri
Chris
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-design
This book is an interesting read from a design history standpoint. It was originally written in 1928, by a 26 year old designer who abandoned many of the edicts within the following 5 years. However, some of his ideas still hold true - we should indeed design for today's technology rather than trying to force all that we can do today into yesterday's rigid confines. Tschichold argued in favor of standardized paper sizes and using photos in design. It's mind-boggling in our time to think those th ...more
Tony
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Graphic Designers, Typographers, Design Historians
Shelves: own
The 1928 classic on modern typography is worth reading for those who are interested in the historical jump from classic book typography and advertising typography to how we think about type today. Much of the book still hold relevance for typographers today, but the last part is a little dated. It is more of a manifesto to printers to standardize page and paper sizes which has already happened.

03.16.08
Chris Beiser
Clearly dated. Tschichold's acting as a partisan here (he later said he regretted his vehemence), and it doesn't age well, but an interesting typographic curiosity. That said, it's not bad, and there's some valuable tidbits. Really more like 3.5 stars.
Mariana
Three stars for being a classic, and a stepping stone to many (better) works that came afterwards. One star for Tschichold's contributions to the design cosmos. Minus 1 star for it being dated, arrogant, and sometimes full of shit--pretty, well-designed shit is still shit.
Ninakix
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2014
Interesting explanation of how early modern typographers were thinking about how to use type. Mirrors a lot of architectural thinking of the time, I think. In general, this reminds me a lot of flat design, and this question of what "natural" means in new mediums.
Erdem Tasdelen
Jan 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masr520
The guy's a great graphic designer but I couldn't help laughing all the way through. I know I'm supposed to see this in its historical context but it's just absolutely ridiculous, and him being the most arrogant person ever doesn't help at all.
Josh Stabler
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Groundbreaking for the time period.
I didn't sense quite as much arrogance from the author as some reviewers.
The author believed in his own ideas (at least at the time the book was written).
Rosebud
Oct 17, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for Sabon, Jan.

" We do not need pretentious books for the wealthy we need more really well made ordinary books. "- Jan Tschichold
Kim M-M
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art_craft_design
From my schooling, this is one of the best books ever made about graphic design. He is one of the masters of the art, and anything you can glean from his book will benefit your design sense.
David Blinn
Recommended. Didn't read everything in detail, but bold design, extremely helpful in understanding principles of Tschichold's typography.
Carlos
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is to a typographer, what Corbu's Towards A New Architecture is to an architect.
Gerardo Vargas
Jun 14, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-design
Very good work. I wish I had this back when I made my BFA.
Widgets &
A bit dogmatic, but helpful in gaining insight into the mindset of what led to Modernist typography.
Paul
  • Typographie =: Typography
  • Design Literacy: Understanding Graphic Design
  • Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
  • Detail In Typography
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Essay on Typography