Start by marking “Horton Hatches the Egg” as Want to Read:
Horton Hatches the Egg

Horton Hatches the Egg

(Horton the Elephant)

Illus. in color by the author. It's the talk of the jungle when an elephant
hatches an egg. Extravagant nonsense and rollicking verse.
Published October 12th 1940 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Horton Hatches the Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horton Hatches the Egg

Archit Ojha
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Archit by: Pooja
Shelves: ebooks

They say an elephant's word is the most trustworthy word in the world.

Horton, our gigantic animal, agrees to hatch the lazy bird's egg. Zany it might seem but he manages to prop himself up and come what may, does not leave the fort.

Not until the bird will return.

Only that the bird does not return until very long. Until it's too late and a new mutated being is born.

Dr. Seuss and his imaginations run at a berserk pace.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Horton Hatches the Egg, Dr. Seuss
The book tells the story of Horton the Elephant, who is tricked into sitting on a bird's egg while its mother, Mayzie, takes a permanent vacation to Palm Beach. The book centers on Horton, a genial elephant, who is convinced by Mayzie, a lazy, irresponsible bird, to sit on her egg while she takes a short "break", which turns into her permanent relocation to Palm Beach. Horton Hatches the Egg is a children's book written and illustrated by Theodor Geisel under the
[Shai] Bibliophage
This is my favorite story of Dr. Seuss because it teaches young readers and reminds adults to be true to one's word. A very simple lesson to learn or to keep in mind, but the impact of not remembering is tremendous.

Rachel Maniacup
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Anne

Oooh! I love this book 100%! I love the writing and the rhyming, I love the picture graphics, I love the story,and I love how it gives you a moral lesson. And I sure am gonna read this over and over to my cute little boy!^^

Many thanks to Anne,who inspired me to read this and who is celebrating her birthday tomorrow( October 26)! HAPPY BIRTHDAY,my friend! Miss you,sweetie!^^

[image error]friend birthday photo: Happy Birthday 6.gif
Pooja
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
In Horton Hatches the Egg, this lazy bird has got nothing to think about except how to plan and enjoy the vacations and holidays!

So she finds someone who can do hatching for her, and then our immense, mighty, kind and faithful elephant, Horton comes into picture and agrees to help her go on holidays, by sitting on her egg on the top of a tree.

He bears all the hateful comments and mockery of other animals. Hunters try to take him down the tree and all the other tormenting things happen to him.

Bu
E
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
It's impossible for me to have a favorite Dr. Seuss book, but this one gives some stiff competition. Whenever I read it to my nursery school English classes, I ask the kids to whom the egg ultimately belongs right before the baby hatches. The younger kids in the class (2 to 3 years old) almost always say the egg belongs to the bird because eggs belong with birds. The older kids (4 to 5) say the egg belongs to the elephant because he took care of it. An interesting revelation as to how kids appro ...more
Mariah Roze
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading a lot of Dr. Seus books. They enjoyed this book.

"Everyone laughs when Horton the Elephant offers to sit on Mayzie bird's egg while she goes on holiday. Horton's kindness and faithfulness are sorely tested when he, and the egg, are kidnapped and sold to a circus - but his reward for being faithful is more wonderful than he could ever have dreamed!"
Ronyell
Horton

"Horton Hatches the Egg" is one of Dr. Seuss' most memorable classics as it stars everyone's favorite elephant, Horton! This time, Horton has his hands full as he tries his best to take care of a lazy bird named Mayzie's egg while she goes off to take a vacation. Unfortunately, hunters come in the jungle and they got Horton trapped! Will Horton get out of this dangerous predicament and still protect Mayzie's egg? Read the story to find out!

Dr. Seuss had done a great job at both illustrating and
Glire
Muchas reseñas hablan mal de Mayzie por haber abandonado su huevo ("es egoísta, irresponsable"), pero NADIE menciona a los tres humanos que apuntaron a Horton con escopetas, cortaron el árbol donde se encontraba, lo encerraron en una jaula, lo sometieron a semanas de navegación y luego lo vendieron a un circo... por diversión!!! ¿Dónde está el reproche de estas acciones? ¿Dónde están las consecuencias?

Lindas rimas y dibujos, pero me molesta que el mensaje refleje que está mal renunciar a una res
Hirdesh
Great to be reading."
Kelley
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Read to a classroom of first graders

The kids knew all about "Horton Hears a Who" but they didn't know "Horton Hatches the Egg". This is still one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. Maisy talks Horton the Elephant into sitting on her egg because it's just too much work. Of course, Maisy flies away and doesn't intend to come back. Meanwhile, Horton sits on her egg for 51 weeks because, "I meant what a said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100 percent". The kids love that no matter what
Virginia Messina
One of Dr Seuss's earliest books, and for me, his all-time best. I adore Horton! His determined goodness and those wonderful expressions on his dear face. I still read this several times a year and never fail to be pleased that things work out well for Horton in the end. And clearly Dr Seuss was ahead of his time; as it turns out, research into their lives in the wild reveals that elephants are indeed faithful (one hundred percent).

monica ♪
Cute and beautiful story that will teach the children to be a faithful person, just like Horton. Love it ♥
Sandra Bašić
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute story in rhyme, how Horton the elephant sit on the egg :)
Kate
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun and quirky typical Dr. Seuss book, focusing on themes of determination and sticking to one’s word.
Kara Roberts
Poor Horton. Dr. Seuss's kindly elephant is persuaded to sit on an egg while its mother, the good-for-nothing bird lazy Maysie, takes a break. Little does Horton know that Maysie is setting off for a permanent vacation in Palm Springs. He waits, and waits, never leaving his precarious branch, even through a freezing winter and a spring that's punctuated by the insults of his friends. ("They taunted. They teased him. They yelled 'How Absurd! Old Horton the Elephant thinks he's a bird!'") Further ...more
Gerry
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can one not like Dr Seuss?

In this typically zany tale, Horton the elephant agrees to look after lazy Mayzie's egg and once Horton has committed to a task, he sticks to it - come what may.

Once Mayzie has persuaded Horton to sit on the egg in the nest at the top of the tree, she departs for a holiday in Palm Beach where she is pictured soaking up the sun, having a wonderful rest and determined never to go back to her nest.

So that leaves Horton trying to overcome all obstacles, including some h
Lorraine Ryan
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an exciting book to capture a child’s imagination and is written by the great Dr. Seuss. I would recommend it for children aged 4-7 years as it would teach them in a fun way, the importance of keeping your word and looking out for people who are in need. Mayzie, a very lazy bird persuades Horton, an elephant, to sit on her egg to help her hatch it, while she takes a well earned rest . But what Horton doesn’t know is she is headed for a very long break to the Palm Springs. I loved the fac ...more
Cynthia
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It is an all time favorite for me. This book conveys the importance of integratiy if the face of adversity. This book shows that different isn't bad and despite the challenge of being or doing something that is outside the relms of what is expected that the result of doing this with integrity and dilligence should result in the new beginings of acceptance. It should be...It should be..... It should be like that....but it is classified as a children's story.
Muriel
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-eris
On the eve of the 8th month since my father's death, my partner read this book aloud to our 12-week-old daughter. He didn't know this, perhaps, but I did. I remember every month and the day goes by very slowly.

I can still recite the intro to this book as I did with my dad when I was a kid. He would prompt me with the first line, and off I would go - "I'm tired and I'm bored, and I've got kinks in my legs!" We would do this until I thought I was too old, too cool, too annoyed by my father.

Now, I
Bwmurf
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Grandmother would always tell me this story when I was little and staying with her. I always thought she made it up herself, until I got older. I just saw a Dumbo commercial that made me search for this and add to my read list so the next time I can’t remember the name I can find it. This book will always be a favorite just for the memories it brings.
Matthew
While reading this book I could have sworn that I read this book but could never find a memory of the book or even opening it until I realized that I saw the short film version created by Warner Bros. I loved watching that cartoon and now I realize that its based off from none other than Dr. Seuss.

This book receives all the stars it deserves because the storyline was adorable, the illustrations were on point, and the rhyming scheme was perfect. I believe Dr. Seuss is one of the best ways of intr
Kathy Davie
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, fantasy
Horton Hatches the Egg was the first Horton written by Dr. Seuss and won the Lewis Carroll Shelf Award in 1958.

My Take
Horton Hatches the Egg was the first Horton written, and I can thoroughly understand why this is considered a classic. The rhythm of reading perked me up no end, and I adored the illustrations. Simple, spare, with lots of humor.

Aww, I love it! I'm finally getting to the source of those quotes I've been hearing all my life!
"I meant what I said
And I said what I meant…
An elephant's
Aaron Campling
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a lovely book by Dr. Seuss.

Wanting to take a break, the lazy bird, Maysie convinces Horton to sit on her egg and wait for it to hatch. Unbeknown to Horton however, is that Maysie's 'break' consists of setting off for a permanent vacation in Palm Springs.

Horton waits and waits, sitting there through all sorts of weather. He is laughed at ("They taunted. They teased him. They yelled 'How Absurd! Old Horton the Elephant thinks he's a bird!'"), and is even shot at by hunters! Horton shows h
Julie
Feb 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
As an adoptive mom, I found the charge that the birth-mother was lazy and greedy difficult to stomach. In this case Maysie completely abandoned the egg to someone with no idea if it was a good caregiver and then takes off. Not a good parent, but certainly NOT representative of all parents who place their kids for adoption. I could see my son's questions forming as we read it: why would she abandon her egg? Why couldn't she take care of the egg? (in his head: why couldn't my mom take care of me? ...more
Brittany Young
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I opened the book, I immediately recognized it as a Dr. Seuss book. The cover is a bold green with a white Horton standing out. The thick black lines from the illustrations and the cover were also a traditional Seuss style. Inside on the pages, the images look like their drawn and shaded in with color pencils. The illustrations are teal and white, with accents of red. The red helps draw the viewer’s eye across the pages and deep into the drawings. The text is very lyrical and rhymes i ...more
Maria João Fernandes
"You've nothing to do and I do need a rest.
Would YOU like to sit on the egg in my nest?"

Esta é a história do ovo de um pássaro chamado Mayzie, que como muitas mãe está aborrecida de tomar conta do seu filho, que ainda não nasceu. Determinada a ir de férias para Palm Beach, Mayzie namorisca com Horton, um elefante simpático, que após os seus pedidos insistentes, toma o seu lugar em cima do pequeno ovo.

"Old Horton the Elephant
Thinks he's a bird!"

Horton é amoroso e de confiança, ao contrário de Ma
Daniel Bush
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Mayzie the lazy bird lays an egg on top of a tree, she really cannot be bothered to wait for it to hatch, so she convinces Horton the elephant to do the job for her. He sits there through all sorts of weather, gets laughed at by the other animals, survives being shot at by hunters, and then gets transported by cart and boat only to be sold to a circus (whilst all this time remaining on top of the egg on the tree).
During all of his sufferings, lazy Mayzie is relaxing on a beach oblivious to
Samantha
I have loved this book forever and forever. Horton the elephant, ever helpful, agrees to watch Mayzie the lazy bird's egg while she stretches her wings. That stretch becomes a semi-permanent vacation as Horton sits on the egg through all kinds of weather and even as hunters have him in their sights.

The greedy hunters sell Horton to a circus and he travels far and wide. One week shy of a year, Horton's egg begins to crack and wouldn't you know it? Old Mayzie the lazy bird is back to claim what's
John
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there is one go-to read-aloud, this is it for me. Perfect length. Perfectly paced. Perfectly dramatic. Permits vocal theatrics to your heart's content (at least the way I read it--from the flighty, high-pitched female voice of Mazy the lazy bird, to the derisive hoots of Horton's jungle "friends," to the gut-wrenching, depressed (or sea-sick!--therefore, about to vomit) groans of faithful Horton, to the vengeful, accusatory and wickedly self-righteous Mazy when it appears that faithful Horton ...more
Seuss Lovers: Horton Hatches the Egg 1 0 Dec 06, 2012 06:38PM
MCC Children's Li...: I meant what I said, I said what I meant. An elephants faithful 100% ! 1 1 Mar 06, 2012 01:23AM
MCC Children's Li...: NY top 100 2 4 Feb 10, 2012 08:48PM
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Mike Mulligan and More: A Virginia Lee Burton Treasury
  • Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent
  • The Very Quiet Cricket
  • Duck for President
  • Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • The Owl and the Pussycat

Horton the Elephant (2 books)
  • Horton Hears a Who!
“I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful one-hundred percent!” 3052 likes
“I meant what I said and I said what I meant.” 417 likes