Start by marking “All That Happened At Number 26” as Want to Read:
All That Happened At Number 26

All That Happened At Number 26

Heartwarming and written with the author’s trademark candor, this memoir reflects on a comedian’s decision to move into a new home with her husband, his circus equipment, a king-sized futon, no savings, and a newborn baby. Following the birth of the couple’s second child, this recollection details how the husband lost his eyebrows, the circus equipment multiplied, and the ...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Hardie Grant (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about All That Happened At Number 26, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All That Happened At Number 26

Start your review of All That Happened At Number 26
Lisa
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Allison
This really was a laugh out loud book. I had to keep apologising to people around me for laughing. I could hear Denise Scott's voice in my head and really enjoyed the journey she took me on with her family. This is a very honest and humorous reflection of Denise's life. I really enjoyed it. An easy read.
Maggie
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I have seen the author Denise Scott appear a number of times on various ABC TV shows, and generally find her quite appealing. Her form of comedy / stand up isn't offensive, more reflective on day to day events, a narrative of her life. The book is the same. I think it would be better to hear the stories as a stand up routine - there aren't many if any laugh out loud moments in the book, but I can imagine finding the tales funnier if she were to tell them herself.
Jacqui Gordon
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I keep seeing Denise Scott on Spicks & Specks and other comedy shows and I find her to be hilarious so I decided to read her biography. I found it to be very honest and funny account of her life and her family's. It was interesting to read how she put together her stand up acts and just how 'real' the antics were. The ups and downs of her relationships with her husband, her career and her life were described in unflinching and revealing ways and it was a very fascinating read!
Paul Hancock
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very like a chat with an old friend who is great storyteller. Denise takes through her life in a "warts and all" memoir. She never spares herself in this wickedly funny narrative.
Dar
Sep 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I love Denise Scott, this was a funny & pleasant insight into her personal life.
Lyn Ryan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Amusing.
Stacey
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Probably 3.5 stars! I did get a few giggles!
Karina
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very funny and honest, just what you would expect from Ms Scott.
Sally Nyaguy
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Laugh out loud material. A good read.
Caitlin
I love Denise Scott - I have done since I was a teenager and I was disappointed I couldn't make it to her show (of the same title) when it came to Adelaide.

This book charts Scott's family life from their early days with a brand new baby to their current situation with the full nest and wondering what's coming next.

The book is an addictive series of very short chapters - almost like the books you often find that are a collection of pieces by a regular columnist, where each snippet is relatively
Meg Dunley
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great light hearted read by Denise Scott that really could have been about what is happening in my house (except without Denise's great humour). A really well written and very funny book. The book is basically a memoir of her and her family's life whilst they lived at Number 26 and all of the goings on there. The ups and the downs, and the ins and the outs of life whilst they grew up. The crazy times of being with incredibly creative parents, but incredibly poor. Parents putting up with each ...more
Lee
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I unashamedly adore Denise Scott. Every appearance she makes on tv has me in hysterics. So I had high expectations for this book and was worried I might be disappointed. I needn't have worried. This book is a hilarious read. Denise's world is very typical Australian. Her trials and tribulations with her children, her marriage, her mother and her job seem so familiar (especially to this middle aged female Australian mother). My favourite section was where she 'gives up' smoking! So funny. There ...more
Whattheheckbec
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Denise Scott doesn't fail to crack me up. There's something so authentic about this Aussie comedian and so much I learnt about her including reflecting back on awful situations with a sprinkling of humour like being married to a professional clown on stilts, dealing with his infidelity and her eventual love of her house which she initially thought of as a bit of a derelict mess that's falling apart. Kind of a metaphor for her life but learning to see the beauty in the chaos of life.
Felicity
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Not knowing much about the author as a stand up comedian, I found her writing style friendly, happy, straight to the point, funny, witty, heartfelt and just the style of writing I like to read! I like conversational writing. I like easy to read writing. I like writing that reads as if the author were speaking to me, and me alone. Denise….I like your writing! Thank you for a wonderful book that let me into your life and family ...at No 26.
Elise
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, comedy
Hilarious and touching, Dennis Scott really captures her younger years of meeting her husband and the changes posed by family and long term relationship, the growing up of her kids, and how she fell into performing joining the circus and then on to stand up comedy. Her writing style is as dry and witty as she is in her stand up making truthful and funny observations about her life.
Sharon
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-this-one
OMG, you must read this book, for the laugh's and for seeing that this woman can write as amusingly as she can tell a story in her stand up routines.

Loved this book, so glad I spent the money to buy it, and will be pushing it onto my friends as a "you have to read this"

I loved her tales of being a parent, and the fact that I could so relate to them.

Great book!!
Katherine
Nov 08, 2011 rated it liked it
a very enjoyable, easy read. having heard denise doing stand up comedy its easy to imagine her voice telling the stories which she does with so much humour while not avoiding the difficult issues of her household. no flowery language just an entertaining way of looking at life & coping with the struggles. definitely recommend.
Sasha
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very honest account of life from dennis scott as wife mother and stand up comedian. Always entertaining but not always laugh out loud. With many moments that I'm sure stay at home mums can relate too
Sallyann Van leeuwen
Lighthearted amusing book from Denise, through all the highs and lows of family and gaining enough work to pay the bills. Loved reminiscing the glory days of the Big Gig and the other comedy shows that Denise was a part of.
Paula
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
very funny and down to earth
Leanne
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great, light, fast read.
KJ
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was so funny and heartfelt. I laughed out loud many times while reading it.
Christine
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
Angela
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A comedic tale of an eccentric family home. Very chuckle-worthy :)
Kylie H
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-read, humour
A very funny book, I quite often laughed out loud reading this. Denise Scott really knows how to tell a good yarn that is both funny and sometimes packed with emotion. I hope she writes more!
Amanda Page
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Denise Scott's voice rings through loud and clear; candid and funny and moving and hilarious.
Nettie
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny. When I read it I could hear her voice in my head.
Deb Short
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very funny, lots of laughing out loud. Def. up there with "Dear Fatty" (Dawn French).
Stefanie Rethus
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, actually had 'laugh out loud' moments
Judy Nickless
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Honestly funny and funnily honest

• Bridge Burning and Other Hobbies
  • Any Ordinary Day: Blindsides, Resilience and What Happens After the Worst Day of Your Life
  • Eggshell Skull: A Memoir About Standing Up, Speaking Out and Fighting Back
  • Dark Emu
  • Boy Swallows Universe
  • Flesh Wounds
  • Cute Poodles, Sweet Old Ladies and Hugs: Veterinary Tales
  • Wallis in Love: The Untold Life of the Duchess of Windsor, the Woman Who Changed the Monarchy
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)