Start by marking “Edwina the Emu” as Want to Read:
Edwina the Emu

Edwina the Emu

In this sequel to the popular Edward the Emu, Edward and his mate Edwina are the proud parents of ten little emu eggs. "Don't get depressed. I'll find a job, you stay on the nest," says Edwina to her stunned mate. And so Edwina sets out to find a job in this lighthearted offering from down under. Rhythmic, rhyming verse by Sheena Knowles and hilarious illustrations by Rod ...more
Published April 25th 1997 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Edwina the Emu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edwina the Emu

Start your review of Edwina the Emu
Kitty
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm really just confused about this whole thing. This book is a huge mess from start finish - and slightly offensive to boot.

So here we have two emus - Edward and Edwina. One day Edwina's like yo! Edward get it in gear because I just laid ten, count 'em, TEN EGGS. Edward starts to freak out, but Edwina's got in under control. Why? Because she's a woman on the fast track of life, that's why. Stay here and look after the eggs Edward, mamas gonna go out and get a job.

And so Edwina goes out and int
Susan
Aug 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, storybook, no-no-no
This one totally did not work for me. It seemed that the entire point of the story was to teach children that a woman's place is in the home (no matter how hard she tries to do something else). There is nothing at all wrong with a mother or father choosing to stay home with her/his children. But there is definitely something wrong with a message that a woman ought to stay home even if there is something else she would also like to be doing with her life.
Tiffany Smith
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkably funny children's book that will become an adult favorite. Although this book is intended for children ages 3 to 6, it will have must adults laughing. Edwina feels that she must get a job after laying ten new eggs. Her husband is terrified because he doesn't know how they are going to support ten emu chicks. Edward becomes a stay-at-home father while Edwina searches for the perfect job. This is a must read!
Bec
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Edwina and Edward suddenly have 10 eggs so Edwina decides she will go out and get a job - with hilarous results. Anothing rhyming treasure from Sheena Knowles. I read this to a group of "special" kids the other day and they loved it. It does have some tounge twisters so if your going to read it out loud you might want to practice it first.
Stacey Lowe
Jun 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Beautifully illustrated but the message is bizarre. Edwina, though energetic and talented, finds the only job society will allow her to have is that of Mother. So disappointing, especially after the delight of Edward the Emu.
Lisa
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute sequel to Edward the Emu, in which he and Edwina have had 10 little eggs! Edwina decides she needs a job to support their little ones, but has trouble finding the right job for her.
Audrey Galiardi
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a great book for teaching/introducing vowel sounds and identifying long and short voewls. I read the book stop on a word say it, have the kids try to spell it on marker boards or at least write the vowel sound they hear. They love it and its a good quick assessment to see who is understanding the vowel concepts or not.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Edwina and Edward Emu have 10 eggs. Edwina immediately feels the urge to go get a job so she can take care of the eggs properly, thusly leaving Edward to fend for himself and the eggs while she's gone. Every job she encounters isn't quite right, but Edwina is undaunted. In the end, Edwina realizes the perfect job for her is back with Edward and the eggs.

Lovely illustrations.
Keegan
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So delightful! My husband prefers this one of the two (its companion Edward the Emu). My favorite is the conclusion when you meet the ten little emus. What a delight! My husband didn't expect to like these as much as he did.
Suzette
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Yeek! A fabulous picture book.
Alan
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Great pictures, feel free to laugh. I like the shoes.
Amy
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nothing wrong with just being a "mom".
Cheryl
We LOVED Edward the Emu so I naturally thought that we would love this one as well. This one had the rhyming verses, but this one just wasn't as enjoyable.
Teri
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia
Fun--interesting to note that male emu's incubate the eggs and care for the young.
Larry Verstraete
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A follow-up to Edward the Emu, this book has the same captivating rhyme and rhythm patterns, but the story line is a bit more forced. Still, a great book to read aloud to young ones.
Kathryn
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Edwina is just as cute as she can be. She and Edward had 10 babies - Sniffly-Sneeze being my favorite!
Taylor Phillips
Edwina the Emu is a sequel to Edward the Emu. They meet in Edward the Emu and in Edwina, they have little babies. They are so proud, but need money to support their family. Edwina sets out to find a job. She tries to be a ballerina and a few other things, but each place kept rejecting her. She finally had to go back to the house to stay with her babies.

I thought this book was ok. Some people think that it is offensive and the message is wrong because no one will hire the woman bird and it teach
Avonlea Rose
Not my cuppa tea. I suppose it is supposed to be funny, because an emu working as a chimney sweep might be a bit daft? But I was waiting for the drum roll at the end. It didn't entertain my daughter much either. I'm not sure, in fact, how children are expected to understand the "joke" of parents scrambling for jobs when they're expecting. That's rather adult humour, isn't it? And you end up with a rather convoluted message that's a bit hard to decipher: don't lady emus usually carry on and start ...more
Anthony
Edwina and her mate Edward are about to be parents of ten little emu's. Edwina convinces Edward to sit on the eggs while she goes out in search of a job. During her job search, she finds out a startling discovery, and she returns home to share the nesting duties with Edward until the eggs are hatched adding to their family.
Elise Evans
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book had lots of rhythmic wording which will help young readers. The one thing about the book that seemed off was the ending. the mother emu never ended up getting a job, and the baby emu's were all hatched. It is a fun book to read due to the fact that an emu is looking for a job.
Mella
I enjoyed Edward the Emu but I love Edwina the Emu! The rhyming was fun and the illustrations were gorgeous. It was a sweet little story. ...more
Ardyth
The moral of this story is that a woman's place is in the home, looking after children. Nobody wants her in any other job, she's not cut out for it and thinking she might be is ridiculous.

Three stars for artwork, minus 1000 stars for messaging.
Milli
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book you can read to kids over and over without going crazy!! The rhyme scheme in this book is SO FUN! YEEK!!
Mariah
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
My kids especially love the names of the babies.
Casandria
Edwina the Emu tries to get a human job to support her growing family. Silliness ensues
Tonya Shaw
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
“YEEK!” Another favorite of my quirky daughter. Edwina the emu looks for work in some unusual places.
Jenn
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Straight up nostalgia read.
Freddie D
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian, rhyme, classic
I'm sure Edwina could find fulfilling work as a waitress in a vegan cafe! :)
Maki
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super cute story about an emu trying to find a job to support her ten little egg babies.
Kest Schwartzman
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not as strong as the prequal, but still a good read-aloud
Goodreads Librari...: please combine 3 14 Oct 29, 2018 05:11AM

• Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge
  • Duck on a Bike
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Diary of a Wombat
  • Where Is the Green Sheep?
  • Love Makes a Family
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Who Sank the Boat?
  • Hunwick's Egg
  • The Rabbits
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?