Start by marking “The Going to Bed Book” as Want to Read:
The Going to Bed Book

The Going to Bed Book

Getting ready for sleep is tons of fun in this special anniversary edition of a Sandra Boynton classic.

The sun has set not long ago.
Now everybody goes below
to take a bath in one big tub
with soap all over—SCRUB SCRUB SCRUB!

This classic bedtime story is just right for winding down the day as a joyful, silly group of animals scrub scrub scrub in the tub, brush and brush and
Board Book, 14 pages
Published November 30th 1982 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about The Going to Bed Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Going to Bed Book

Pooja
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Getting a nap in the morning is more adventurous than going to bed in the night!
Valerie
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-boys
I should pass these along to another parent, but I am hopeful I will have a chance to read them to another generation of children.
Alicia
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
I don’t generally add the books I read to Owen as part of my challenge, but I think I’ve read this at least 50 times this year, so on it goes. Plus, he loves it.
Karawan
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love the silliness of this book. Maybe it's the French literature major in me, recalling Ionesco and the theater of the absurd....

I love that the animals are on a boat. As random as it seems, it kind of makes me think of Noah's ark (even though they aren't in pairs). I love that when you think they're going upstairs to bed, they're really going up to exercise. Just something about the fact that you assume you know what's coming, only to turn the page and see something completely different! I c
Chris
May 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
My two-year-old son and I have settled into a bedtime routine where we read Goodnight Moon and then we read this book. He loves when the animals brush and brush and brush their teeth and he loves when the boat rocks and rocks and rocks the animals to sleep but his favorite part is when they all go up...to exercise! That page never fails to get a belly laugh out of him.
Stephanie
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"And when the moon is on the rise,
they all go up to exercise!"

Really fun bedtime book! I love the funny illustrations and rhyming text. My favorite illustrations are the exercising ones... although like many others, I wonder why they are exercising right before bed; I think it makes the book even funnier though. This is definitely one that is worth being read again and again!

First read: 8/24/15
midnightfaerie
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
We can't get enough of Sandra Boynton's illustrations. Just so cute with the different animals that my kids like to guess and the rhyming is fun too. A little silly with the animals doing things like exercising before bed, but it just adds to the allure. My 5 yr old is a little past it, but enjoyed it immensely when he was younger, and now enjoys reading it to his younger brothers. A must have for any Boynton fan!
Anittah
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Penny
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids
A must for every new parent. Our family has it memorized. We love this book!
Kerry Baker
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sandra Boynton is always fun to read to my daughter.
Anna
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one is a gem, and probably more complex than the title would make you believe. In this book, the animals go downstairs to exercise shortly after taking their baths and brushing their teeth. Some guy from the New Yorker said this was a commentary on the upside down world your life turns into post-parenthood; to me, it sounded a bit closer to my teenage bouts of compulsive overexercise. Either way, this is a dark one -- also, George likes it.
Lara
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The pages were quite thick and durable and there were pictures and rhymes. It encouraged going to bed, of which I am a fan.
Sara
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grey-baby
One of our favorite bedtime books.
Marissa
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wish it were a little bit longer!
Carly Wesley
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story is about various animals that watch the sunset, brush teeth, take bathes before going to sleep. They do this with the light of the moon. it shows things that kids can do before going to sleep. It can help with children's routines before going to sleep by watching the animals do things like scrub the tub and so on. It is simple and quick to read making it perfect for a bed time story to read to children that are hard to put to sleep.

The illustrations are silly and funny showing the ani
Erica Nicol
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My mother bought this board book for my son a few days before he was born and I'll never be able to review it with even the pretense of objectivity because of that. He was never able to read it, but it was the first book his little sister fell in love with (admittedly, she was most interested in it as something to chew on at first). The rhyming text and animal illustrations are great attention-holders, and it is now one of the books that she likes to "read" by herself. The size is perfect for li ...more
Sarah Sammis
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Sandra Boynton has written and illustrated around thirty children's books in her career. The Going to Bed Book is set on an ark (no sign of Noah, though) and follows the animals' bed time routine.

The animals watch the sunset before deciding to go to bed. Along with the usual things of taking a bath and brushing teeth, there is also night time exercise under the light of the moon.

Of course the book has Boynton's unique illustrations. Harriet and Sean enjoy her silly looking animals doing the same
Zethu
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd like to think I was sleep deprived when I read this, that's the only reason I laughed so hard when I read the exercise bit. It's fun book to read and the absurdity should also entertain the older reader long enough for the little one to calm down and sleep... Unless they're like my nephew and get up to join the animals in exercise! It's sweatier book than I first thought and any kid would love it.
Autumn
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book at my baby shower from my husband's godmother who is very special to us both. My sister told me her daughter loves any book by Sandra Boynton, so I was thrilled to have received one of her books. I had been reading to my baby bump and discovered what a sweet book this is about bedtime routines. I believe my baby is going to love this book once he/she is here in less then 10 weeks!
Susan
Aug 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, no-no-no, storybook
This one came up on my GR recommendations. I followed-up because I have enjoyed some of Sandra Boynton's other books. But NOT this one.

They all took a bath together in one big tub?!? And no one finds that even a little bit creepy? Also, why are they exercising after they bathe? Should they not exercise first? And why exercise right before bed? That seems to make no sense, exercising immediately before bed but after bathing in the creepy everyone in it together tub.

Yick.
Brandon Buskirk
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My one-year-old son loves this book. Every night we read him several books before bedtime and he often chooses this book as his last book. It's got silly characters and it's pretty fun and whimsical. Many children's books try to be poetic with silly little rhymes and a predictably rigid structure, but I find very few of them to actually be poetic. This book is the exception.
SaraLaLa
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another cute Sandra Boynton book, which include rhyme, rhythm, and bedtime procedures. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that the author has the character's exercising after their bath and before bed. Who does that?!?
Aneesa
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We also do our exercises in our pajamas.
Alicia
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is simple and quick book, but he loves the ending and asks to read it over and over and over....he likes several of Sandra Boynton books.
gina
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-book
My son LOVED this book. It's been a bedtime staple for at least a year now :) Cute.
Darinda
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Read: board book (owned)

I've read this book approximately 138,426 times to my son. Needless to say, it's a favorite Sandra Boynton book. It's a cute story about getting ready for bed.
Kimberly
BUT WHY DO THEY EXERCISE?!

Sandra Boynton is trying to sow the seeds of bedtime anarchy.
Cole Schoolland
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-books
Takee Jobe
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton is a children’s picture book. This book is intended for children ages 2-5. This is a silly rhyme book with goofy animals on their way to bed. It is the perfect quick silly story just before you put your little one to bed. I rated this book 5 stars, and so does my 2 year old son! It’s one of his favorite bedtime books and I usually read it 3 or 4 times before I put it away to tuck him in. I love the story because although I usually read it 3-4 times, it onl ...more
Susan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Our family loves this book and it's regularly used as part of the bedtime reading routine (and is my husband's favorite to read). I would read it to my son when he was pretty small (four or five months old) and it's still held up now that he's 1 1/2. Considering the amount of use it's gotten, the book is well worth the (pretty low) price and I highly recommend for anyone with infants and young toddlers. (This is our most worn out board book and we got it new.)

Why do we like it so much? It's got
  • Yummy Yucky
  • That's Not My Monkey...
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Black on White
  • Tails
  • Good Morning, Good Night!: A Touch & Feel Bedtime Book
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • Hug
  • Gossie
  • Trucks Board Book
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • My Very First Book Of Numbers
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • B Is for Bear: A Very First Book for the Baby You Love
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more