Start by marking “The Nice Book” as Want to Read:
The Nice Book

The Nice Book

It's so nice to be nice! Cuddle
Nestle
Nuzzle
Don't tickle
. . . well, maybe a little.
Love was meant to be passed on.

An adorable menagerie of irrestible animals populate this gentle look at friendship. Getting close to someone is an art and these little creatures demonstrate the simple ways to show you care. David Ezra Stein's expressive illustrations ooze charm and will
Published October 16th 2008 by Putnam Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Nice Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nice Book

Maya
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
oh my goodness, my kids BOTH love this book! If you have 2 of something, share. give hugs! be nice!
Caitlinleah
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
2.5yo isn’t into new books right now, but he put up with this one. I like the gentle rhyme and the message. It does get a bit bossy at times, but is still a great explainer if what nice is for the toddler set.
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think we can use more books like this in our current state of affairs. Wonderful little board book about kindness, listening to others, and how to show compassion.
Brandy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Animals showing love with a word or phrase on each page. Some great vocabulary for kids and good for social emotional learning.
Peacegal
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet book about how to be kind to others.
Luke
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: being-polite
I wasn't too interested in this book.
Heydi Smith
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-one-on-one
A beautiful, sentimental read that can kids understand nice activities. It’s also fun to guess what animal is on the page.
Julie
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet concepts, simple pictures, very nice book!
Karen
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Tips on how to be nice.
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a nice book!
Sue Mosher
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this little book about love. "Love was meant to be passed on." Especially loved the endpapers covered in fun, loving words like "magnanimous monkeys" and "benevolent bunnies".
Emmett Griffo
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Theme: kindness, love, friendship, animals

This is a short, quick read but with powerful messages about how to treat others and good for all ages. This is one to own and read over and over again!
Mary Ann
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good gift for a toddler.
Los Gatos Library
Grownups will often say "Be nice!" but that can be a little vague. David Ezra Stein's book helps with the specifics. "When you get in a snit, don't hit -- say how you feel," and "Hear what someone has to say," are among some of the tried and true tips. Each of these guidelines is accompanied by an illustration of animals, done in acrylic paint, inks, china marker and digital techniques. The pictures look like finger paintings, with the details drawn in with ink. They are bold and colorful and fu ...more
Katie
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Stein is the author of one of my favorite picture books, _Leaves_, and has created another endearing book reminding readers that "love was meant to be passed on".

A variety of friendly animals (featuring kindhearted koalas, amiable alligators, and lovable lemurs)depict how to treat one another, while variations in font and text size reveal the rhyming advice:
"LOOK...but don't stare. If you have more than you need, SHARE."

The art is done in a combination of sketches and acrylic paint, and has a l
Susan
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
A sweet book that is elevated to terrific in a few places as in the two feisty red birds " when you get in a snit, don't hit", and the sweet blue mice with the great lines "Look after someone little, we're all little." While all the art is charming, the pages where it just reads "giggle" or "cuddle" don't work as well as where there is the simple one line thought about thoughtfulness. However, that is a minor crank in a book of major charm. Etiquette for the little ones in a most appealing forma ...more
Nielson
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is such a simple book (most pages only have one word) but it carries such a sweet and deep message. With beautifully painted illustrations, Stein, using animals, portrays different ways that we can be nice to those around us. This would be a great book to use when teaching kids the importance of being nice. And although it is probably more appropriate for the pre-K ages, I think that it would be appropriate in an elementary for K-3.
Kim Struyk
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Stein, D.E. (2008). The nice book. New York: Putnam Juvenile

Starred review by The Horn Book Guide & School Library Journal

Choice book

I love the easy, simple message in this story. It is a sweet book that can remind people of all ages to be kind. I would read this to my class on a regular basis, and perhaps before I give out "acts of kindness" awards in a Kindergarten or pre-school class.

Marc Noday
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Nice Book by David Ezra Stein was another one of my choces. To me the point of this book was to teach kids what type of behavior is acceptable in certain situations. I enjoyed how the illustrations in this book seemed as if a young child had drawn them. The coloring is out of the lines and the detail is erratic.
N
Dec 12, 2008 rated it liked it
I would totally be more into this book if the text didn't remind me of a bad cheerleading chant, "take time. get away. hear what someone has to say". GO TEAM!

I do have to adore the look though, great typesets and paint swipes with charcoal accents building the forms.
Ruth Ann
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Of course I loved the sentiment of this book, but I adored the artwork even more. The illustrations are embellished finger paintings. Kids would have a ball imitating the author's style and making their own "nice" book.
Bonnie
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
You can show your love in lots of nice ways.
Rachel
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Interestign "finger painted" illustrations. Text is simple, a little awkward in places but good
Crystal
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Just what the title says- a nice book about being nice with good examples.
Agnes
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Just like Monster Hug and Leaves this book has illustrations full of color and emotion with visible brushstrokes and poetry in sparse text on the page like "giggle" and "scratch."
kelly
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
A feel-good to-do book about love and kindess.
Jenny
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Use this book often to remind our little one to be nice & listen, behave, ect...bought it a year ago and it is still a fav. Highly recommend it
John
Mar 19, 2012 added it
Appears proper for toddler storytimes!
Jen
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The simplicity of the word choice makes this book tremendous! And so much fun to read aloud!
Danielle
Jun 10, 2013 added it
Shelves: picture-books
I especially like the middle section. Great advice in there for coping skills when mad/upset. Well put.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mean Soup
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • On the Farm
  • How Kind!
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Ten Tiny Babies
  • Who Made This Cake?
  • Rain
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • Ice
  • I Must Have Bobo!
David Ezra Stein is an author-illustrator whose previous books include LEAVES, winner of an Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Award. He lives in Kew Gardens, New York.