Start by marking “Fakers (Licking Thicket, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fakers (Licking Thicket, #1)

Fakers

(Licking Thicket #1)

Brooks Johnson’s Words To Live By:

When returning to Licking Thicket, TN, for the first time in ten years to reunite with your nosy neighbors, heart-broken ex-girlfriend, and matchmaking mama who never quite believed you were gay, it’s best to bring a fake boyfriend as backup...

Just don’t be surprised when your ex-girlfriend does the same.

And when her incredibly hot fake
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 334 pages
Published June 30th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Fakers, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Fakers (Licking Thicket, #1)
☆ Todd

Wow, I actually enjoyed this story way more than I'd thought I would.

Yes, it was a complete over-the-top RomCom, with a lot of super-sappy, overly-sweet, wacky-assed situations; however, it somehow all just worked -- without making me crazy or causing me to eye-roll my ass into another dimension.

I loved both Brooks and Mal, how their chemistry was immediate, but the romance was full-on slow burn. They were insanely cute together, without it feeling forced or trying too hard.

I loved Ava and Paul
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Fakers is a stand alone M/M romance by Lucy Lennox and May Archer. This is my second book by Lucy and my very first by May. First, just let me get this out of the way: I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH!! I want to move to this crazy town and live there forever. I want to be besties with all of these characters.

cows - Google Search

Brooks Johnson left Licking Thicket, Tennessee ten years ago right after high school, and has not gone back. He ran away after breaking his girlfriend’s heart when he came out as gay. She has nev
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I have to admit, I was leery heading in. Small town shenanigans and hokey puns? Not really my thing. Then I found out the name of the small town in question is Licking Thicket and rolled my eyes until I sprained my eyeballs.

But, much to my shock, I actually enjoyed this story, right down to the ridiculous puns about being the head licker and lickin' ... well, everything. The trick is to just go with it and accept the silliness. That's what the characters in the story do.

It helped that I liked
Shile
Audiobook - 4 Stars

Story -3 Stars

This was okay, nothing special, with some sprinkled drama, insta and the infamous miscommunication towards the end, reunion and grand gesture. 😁
Bhavya Marya
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
“You’re so fucking beautiful. I lose all of my brain cells when you’re around.”

I loved the ensemble cast this book had. The one thing I love about small town romances are all the nosy and "meddling in each other's businesses" characters and this book delivered !!

I loved the way the MCs saw each other like no one else had before. They didn't have to pretend to be anything other than themselves when they were together. I was really enjoying reading Brooks' possesive side.
The premise
Susan
Jul 05, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF at 9%

I know I've been DNF-ing books left and right lately, but apparently I'm harder and harder to please these days. :(

I've read some reviews of this book and did it really bother no one how Brooks' mother treated him?

I only read 9%, but her dismissing he is gay, her dismissing he has an important job, her basically dismissing his entire life does not scream I LOVE YOU to me. It screams, I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS OR YOUR LIFE to me.

And that is supposed to be funny?

I got to the part
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

I don't always love the fake boyfriend trope but I think it 100% helped that Brooks doesn't end up with the one he was faking with.

Loved the town of Licking Thicket and all of its residents.
Loved Brooks and Mal. So much.
Loved the banter.

It was such a fun read. I will definitely be on the lookout for more from this duo.
Cadiva
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my lord this book was hysterical at times, it would make the absolute best Rom Com.

I keep saying this about Lucy Lennox's books, but she has such a way of creating her worlds, this time blending in the skills of another master at it, May Archer.

This book felt like a true marriage between authors, with the loving and madly interfering family of Lucy's books perfectly melded into the vibe of May's small town romances.

There are so many wonderful characters in Fakers that if they did make a fil
Jilly
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So funny! This book has a really cute romance between two guys that are faking relationships with other people in a small town that totally took the spotlight away from the couple because of its craziness. I mean, if a town like this actually existed I would need to move there immediately.

Can't forget my bird!

The town is called "Lickin' Thicket" and apparently that has to do with a salt lick or something. And they have an annual "Lickin' Festival" to celebrate their.... cultural heritage.

"Li
haletostilinski
What a fun, interesting and unique twist on the fake relationship trope. I'm not sure if I've read one quite like this, and that's a definite plus.

When Brooks, a 28-year-old ad exec living in New York gets a call from his small Tennessee hometown called Licking Thicket (yUP) and it's his mother, he's worried, and he has a right to be because it turns out his father had heart problems - not quite a heart attack, but maybe? I'm not sure - and had to have stints put in, and he is in no shape to be
Eugenia
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Audiobook - Nov 2020: FABULOUS performance by Michael Dean! He turned Mal into a sexy, metal-sculpting, pierced beast!

Original ebook review - July 2020:
***3.5 Stars***

A funny and cute double fake boyfriend story!

Was it perfect? No.
Did it matter? Not at all!

This is a perfect fluff story with the necessary angst/conflict to make us cheer for our HEA.

These days I need stories like these:

Small-town boy is now an advertising VP in a NY firm.
Small-town boy is a metal sculptor in LA.
Strangers to e
Lianne
Aug 21, 2020 added it
Dnf at 70%. Not working for me
Ariana
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved the puns. A lot. (okay they were my favourite, I admit it! It was really 'licking' hilarious!)
Loved the small-town mentality and the positive vibes that came with that.
Loved the whole idea about the double-fakers and how it is executed.

Also really liked Brooks and Mal, and the main secondary characters of Paul and Ava.
The banter is chuckle-worthy, and all in all this a huge slice of FUN!

However, there are a couple of things that made me momentarily hold my breath like (view spoiler)
Leslie
I’m putting this firmly in the like but not love category.

Lucy Lennox is the reigning queen of both insta-love and quirky towns with meddling side characters. Neither are my thing most of the time. I knew this going in. I’ve read quite a few of her books. Out of all of those, I have only really liked a few. But I pick hers up from time to time because they are fun when they don’t go totally small town crazy and/or zero to love in sixty seconds.

May Archer is also no stranger to small town shena
Renée
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super cute and even better than I thought it would be. All of the puns and other jokes, based off the town name, were awesome :)
Ele
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*

Way better than I expected. And so funny and sexy. Good stuff
Denise H.
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 people who try to fake relationships, get something unexpected !
A topsey-turvey tale with a wild small town festival, and lots of action. There is abundant laughs, confusion and switcheros that will keep you thinking.
Brooks, 28, goes to his hometown celebration,

in Licking Thicket, TN., because it’s been a family tradition, plus he can still work on the important ad campaign. There’s lots of history in this event filled week. He’s gay, and brings his assistant, Paul, who is straight, as his
Vanna
4 Licking-Thicketing-Starry Stars!! 😍💘🤩 This was a funny often punny, a little homey but still an incredibly romantic story with a double fake-boyfriend-story-trope..😳🤪
Brooks has not been back to his hometown of Licking Thicket, Tennessee in a decade. He didn't come out to his family and small-town till he graduated and left for college but the guilt of having broken his ex-girlfriend's heart when he so publicly came out has haunted him forever. As much as he tried to avoid coming home, this tim
Jennifer☠Pher☠
description

Sigh. I've been trying to decide if I read this at the wrong time, hurricane, no power, or if I've just outgrown this type of story. I think, I just didn't like a lot of the parts of the story so it made it difficult to like the whole story. I’m positive I’ll be in the minority with this review so just ignore me.

First, I feel like I missed a story. There was so much mention of Mal's visit to his hometown, with names of people I have no idea who they were, that I felt like I missed a story. It wa
Rin
Jul 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute, humorous and easy read. Nothing spectacular, but overall enjoyable.

The good:
- the premise was interesting: Fake boyfriend trope times two? Count me in!
- the MCs were adorable together
- the innuendos and jokes were (mostly) quite fun
- the small town was really endearing; a tight-knit community with charming characters
- the epilogue was cute, and honestly made me like the book more (and I was very much on the fence about it halfway through)

The not so good:
- It took me some time to warm up
Lelyana's Reviews

Fakers was hilarious, and romantic at the same time. I really enjoyed Brooke and Mal's (struggles) to stay and enjoying the Licking Thicket, a small town in Tennessee, where everything is everyone's business. Started to cringed to be back to the town he left ten years ago for Brooks and tried to tolerate it for Mal, Brooke and Mal never expected that they're actually enjoying the situation, the people and started to fall for each other.
The problem was, that Mal was Ava's (fake) boyfriend, and Br
Debra
I liked but didn't love this one. I loved the double fake boyfriend set-up and Mal and Brooks were adorable and I did like their relationship. There was just a bit too much extraneous nonsense that took away from the two MCs getting together.

The story started out rough for me with the introduction of Ava, Mal's best friend and Brooks' ex-girlfriend from high school. She comes on strongly, bitchy and extremely unlikable. Then there is Brooks' mother who, among other things, is pretty unaccepting
Jinx
Dnf. My mistake. I forgot who I was for a second, and who I am is someone who doesn’t particularly like L.L books. She’s just not for me and I allowed all the glowing reviews to cause me to misstep. I didn’t particularly like how everyone around Brooks kept telling him he wasn’t gay. There’s nothing amusing about constantly disregarding someone’s feelings especially about their sexuality. As if said person doesn’t know their own mind, body and soul. But I get it he was the high school quarterbac ...more
Sanaa
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

Cute read! It started off strong, got a little bored at the end, though.
Raphiae
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
please someone tell me it’s not standalone ... I want stories for Diesel & Parrish; Dunn with someone please🥺
True Loveislovereview
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, humor, lgbtq
4.5 stars Brooks and Mal

I loved the way this story started, it gave an impression about Brooks life in New York.
So different from where his roots are, the town where this story takes place.

Brooks Johnson, VP of Storms Marketing in New York is ‘forced’ by his mother to help out his father who is sick. He has to perform as the head Licker of the Great Centennial Lickin event in Licking Thicket, Tennessee.
The event will take a week, A WEEK. Horrible that’s what it is.
A decade ago he left home su
Levi
Jul 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
THE MOST HOMOPHOBIC MM I EVER READ!!!

DNF at 20% ... i can't anymore!!! There is nothing, absolutely nothing that could change my mind on this book, even if it's turns out that they went all Rambo on the other peoples asses!

The narrative: YOU ARE GAY, WHATEVER HAPPENS IS YOUR FAULT, DON'T YOU DARE PUT YOURSELF BEFORE OTHERS COMFORT!

The way the 2 gay MC is treated by family, friends colleague ... one was put on the sofa by his mother, who begged him to come home to do her a favor saying, the
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thank you for the gift, SmuttyElf!
Joseph
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was by far one of my favorite books of the year. I loved the story - and the twist on the “fake boyfriend”, the towns people, the supporting cast - for me, it all worked in this one. I absolutely loved Mal especially and the humor was laugh out loud funny at times. A great read!
Halle Reads
4.5 Stars 🌟

This was so much fun & super easy to read. Loved these boys so much.

Full review to come
Turning Pages At ...: Fakers (M/M Buddy Read) by Lucy Lennox 18 23 Sep 11, 2020 01:34PM

• High Heat (Hotshots, #2)
  • Hardwood (Four Bears Construction, #3)
  • Off Plan (Whispering Key, #1)
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey, #1)
  • Screwed (Four Bears Construction, #4)
  • On the Run (Whispering Key #2)
  • Lost in the Florist (Blooming Hearts, #1)
  • Hard Knox (Havenwood #3)
  • Spotlight (Famous, #2)
  • Face Offs & Cheap Shots (CU Hockey, #2)
  • Watch Me
  • After Felix (Close Proximity, #3)
  • Goal Lines & First Times (CU Hockey, #3)
  • Marry Me (Tattoos and Temptation #1)
  • Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
  • Griff's Place (Havenwood #4)
  • Fight for You (Beyond the Cove, #4)
  • Merry Measure
I only keep a small list of my very favorite books and series in my bookshelf here. I read A LOT and it's hard to keep the list updated! ...more

Licking Thicket (3 books)
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
  • Fools (Licking Thicket, #3)

News & Interviews

When it comes to the romance genre, second books can be a bit like second dates, can't they? You've had that great initial meet-cute with...
“It’s time for the Great Lickin’ Festival,” she said unnecessarily, “to celebrate our glorious agricultural heritage.” She sighed again. “And I don’t need to tell you how excited your daddy and the other men in the Thicket get at Lickin’ time.” 0 likes
“And it’s not just any Lickin’, Brooks. This is the Great Centennial Lickin’.” 0 likes