Start by marking “I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1)

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  157,833 Ratings  ·  6,716 Reviews
The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women is a fairly typical all-girls school—that is, it would be if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class. The Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses, but it’s really a school for ...more
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published April 25th 2006 by Brilliance Audio

Bella The Mortal Instruments are my definite favorite series. I couldn't put the books down until I finished all six books! It's prequel The Infernal…moreThe Mortal Instruments are my definite favorite series. I couldn't put the books down until I finished all six books! It's prequel The Infernal Devices is also great and definitely worth reading as well. I would super recommend both of them. (less)
Anne I was reading this when I was 10/11. It's fine. It's a good series to start with for your child to slowly start to ease into the YA section. (Which I…moreI was reading this when I was 10/11. It's fine. It's a good series to start with for your child to slowly start to ease into the YA section. (Which I did not "ease into the YA section" and just read whatever I wanted, sometimes not even understanding what was happening.)(less)

Lola  Reviewer

Yesterday, I was in a book slump. I hadn’t been in a book slump for years. To cure myself, I decided to reread a favourite series of mine—The Gallagher Girls.

The key to loving this series is to not take it too seriously. It’s a series that explores the idea of being a teenage spy going to a boarding school that teaches spies how to neutralize an enemy, dozen of foreign languages, to unravel a bomb and other kickass things necessary for teenage spies to know.

It’s up to the readers to decide if t
Steph (Reviewer X)
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I picked this book up because of all the media hyper surrounding it—the Disney option and the New York Times bestseller status, not to mention the cute cover and interesting premise. Who hasn’t found themselves imagining what it would be like to be a secret government operative during an especially boring Physics lecture? Behold: the appeal of this book (to me, at least).

With all this in mind, why oh why was I so disappointed upon finishing it?

Because this book was subpar to its media attention.
Giselle
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc
Yes. I'm a full grown adult. Yes, I thought this was pretty freaking awesome! Don't laugh at me!! *scowls*

These are the kinds of books I turn to when I want something fun and silly; a change of pace. A high-school-drama-filled book that I can read and enjoy without the need to use my brain a whole lot. It doesn't claim to be a deeply significant story that will blow your mind with its complexity. It's a relatively straightforward plot, but with all kinds of shameless fun, plenty of humor, an ado
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Welcome to The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, an all-girls school located just outside of Roseville, Virginia. Anyone looking at this elite private boarding school would see just what The Gallagher Academy wants you to see--a preppy school for privileged girls, complete with a guardhouse and stone wall to keep the curious away from their precious charges. And they'd be right, of course, and yet they would be so very, very wrong!

Because The Gall
Leanna
Sep 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a daydreamer—I think most readers are. As a freshman in high school, I had a recurring fantasy about being a spy. At the time, I was taking Russian classes (back when the Cold War was a recent memory) and spent hours imagining what life would be like if I’d been bred for espionage. What if I were fluent in fourteen languages? What if I could kill a man (or woman) with a ketchup bottle?

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter is my teenage fantasy come to life.

Ca
maybelline ⚓
This whole book was a buzzkill. I came for spies and bada*sery and instead got soul mates and puke-inducing cliches

description

I would most definitely consider this as middle school genre rather than YA bc it really lacks in the writing, the plot, and the characters. The writing is so juvenile and the humour is so forced im still cringing from exposure

The characters are annoying as frick man. I’d like to propose a new rule, the first being that a 14 year old should not refer to their spy teacher as ‘sexy’ o
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
REREAD: July 2015

Since, I finished Gallagher Girls recently, certain things has been bugging. I simply have to read it. All I can say is I love it so much better now. And I could help but to chuckle darkly at what's about to come for them. Oh my sweet summer children.

Initial reading date: January 20, 2015

Gallagher Girls has been sitting in my kindle for a while and I actually tried reading it before, but I wasn't impressed with the writing.

The funny thing about it, I talk like the protagonist
Caryn
I liked this book in the same way that I like the Princess Diaries movies (1 and 2). It's cute. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I giggle when it's witty. And when the lights come up (or I reach the back cover), there's a smile on my face.

Cammie "The Chameleon" goes to a spy school. I mean, how cool is that! Yes, at times, the plot is cringe-worthy (I mean, the basic conflict is the fact that she can't tell the perfect boy that she can throw him to the pavement from six different positions), but
Zoha
description

“I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear. Well, that's me—Cammie, the Chameleon. But I'm luckier than most because, at my school, that's considered cool.-I go to a school for spies.”

description

"Learn Her Skills, Honor Her Sword, Keep Her Secrets"

Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women is an all-girls school. To the outsiders, it is an elite school for spoiled snobs; to the insiders, a spy-school for the genius girls. The school trains its students in diffe
Jasprit

Ally Carter was an author who I came across last year when I picked up her Heist society series. It was a series which was cleverly written, humorous and a lot of fun. After thoroughly enjoying it, I thought I would check out her Gallagher girls series.

I'd tell you that I love you but then I’d have to kill you follows the story of Cammie who was bought up into a family of spies; not much is known about Cammie’s dad other than he lost his life at doing something that he enjoyed and had
Megan
Just realized I never reviewed this one! Well, here it is....

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You is fluff. Pure brain candy fluffy fluff. It would be so easy to knock so many aspects of this novel but I won't because there is one thing which I absolutely loved about it ~ the girls in Ally Carter's spy school actually value academics and when the going gets tough, they choose integrity and personal values over boys. Admittedly, if the market was flooded with this type of YA lit
✞кεℓℓү cσsтιgαη✞
“The time for crying with your girlfriends about a broken heart is over chocolate ice cream and chick flicks—not stun guns and bulletproof vests.”
Review

description

You know those books that are quirky, a little simple, maybe even childish, but you just can't help falling in love with? Well ladies and gentlemen, this is one of those books. I adored it! I admit, I was a bit skeptical over the cheesy title and cliché synopsis, but I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You was clever, cute
Marketa
Průměrná jednohubka, tak akorát napsaná pro mladší dívky (13-15 let) nebo pro nečtenářky. Zabavilo mě to, účel splnilo. :)
Morgan F
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tween girls who watch the Disney Channel
Okay, I was never expecting much from this book, especially after I saw that it had been optioned for a film by Disney. But I was hoping for some James Bond/Cody Banks/Spy Kids action.

This book is about Cammie Morgan, a student at the elite Gallagher Academy, which is essentially an all-girl school for spies. Cammie is a pretty normal student at Gallagher, besides the fact that her mother is the headmistress, and she has a reputation for being "the Chameleon." Cammie knows fourteen languages and
Courtney
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
It is actually really good. Not Twilight good, but it has a good story to it.
Crystal Alexander

Author: Ally Carter
Publisher: First Hyperion Paperbacks Year: 2006
# of pages: 284 Genre: Romance
Reading level Interest level: 8th or 9th Grade
Potential hot lava: Has some references to violence but, not used as a weapon used as protection

General response/reaction: I love romance novels so I was really exited to read this book. I fi
Katherine
VÍTEJTE V TAJNÝCH SLUŽBÁCH.
Tam, kde se Mission Impossible potkává s Barbie a Školou pro princezny.

No... NEKECÁM.
Přestože o tom v knize nepadlo ani slůvko, podezírám školu Gi Ga, že má růžové zdi a krajkové ubrusy na stolech. O načechraných peřinkách nepochybuji. Ta škola bude místem, kde hlasitým prdem porušíte řád. Fakt tomu věřím. Smrdělo to kudrlinkama, pudlíkama a Hříšným tancem (ten myslím naprosto vážně). Ale špionážní machřinou ani náhodou.

CO JSEM OČEKÁVALA?
Bandu naštvaných coolovních h
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You was cheesy in the best way! I was really intrigued when I read the blurb and it was about teenage girls attending spy school! How cool! The book was light and fun, and was exactly what I wanted. There was action, romance, and friendship, and I felt like all of those things were done really well. When I picked up the book, I wasn't sure that I'd want to read the rest of the series, but now I definitely want to find out what happens next!
Kimberley doruyter
i was amazed at how much i liked this book.
it was eciting and funny i just the right combo.
i loved it enough that i have already bought most of the series, and that's saying something i mostly read fantasy.
Bark's Book Nonsense
Was a free audiobook download via SYNC .

I tried but I am just not in the mood to listen to this narrator. Her "teen" voice sounds childish and forced and more like a tween and it is grating on every single one of my frayed nerves.

I may get back to this some day when I'm less grouchy. But probably not.

The book may be fab, nothing against the book, but I just can't do it right now.

Linnea Karlberg
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger I loved "Totally Spies" and "Spy kids". Having these shows combined with a teenage girl going to boarding school? Pretty awesome.
Lola
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and entertaining
Cait (Paper Fury)
Idea of spies? Awesome. Idea of a forbidden romance? Not so much. In the end, the idea of spies won out and I read the book that I'd been staring at on the library shelf for a while. Verdict? I am so glad I did.

Those Gallagher Girls are cool. They're all geniuses. They're all trained in fighting defense. They have a screen program which tells them what languages they're allowed to speak during lunchtimes. And yet, they can do stupid things, too. I loved that.

The characters were really strong. W
Lara
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1st-nine-weeks
I'd Tell You But Then I'd Have To Kill You is a fascinating action and suspenseful novel told from a diary perspective of a young girl named Cameron Morgan.
She attends a prestigious and snobby private school for rich girls called The Ghallager Academy. Or so we think...... Cameron (who prefers to be called Cammie) is actually a teenage "spy in training" with the weight of a spy family legacy pressing down on her shoulders. Though now matter how trained and gifted she may be, there is one thin
Nicklein Mae
I've forgotten how addictive this series was! I'm so glad I decided to read this baby again. Everything about this felt really familiar. It's almost like coming home. Reading this the second time around didn't change how sassy and quirky everything was. I can't wait to meet Zach...again!

“Yes, my heart cried, but my brain spoke of a biochemistry midterm, seven chapters of COW reading, and two weeks' worth of lab reports for Dr. Fibs."

Legit proof that Cammie is my spirit animal!

Oh and I'm bump
Janette
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darling book. Made me wish I could go to spy school.
Annika
This cute teen novel was a nice start to the Gallagher Girl series. I thought it was cute, funny, and a great novel for ages.

More into detail....

I really loved how the girls weren't snotty despite their snotty reputation. They were truly strong, independent, caring, girls. I think this is great since young girls may read this, and they usually identify with the main character as their role model. The book was also written in a cute, juvenile way that most pre teens will adore. However, I felt li
Elise (thebookishactress on wordpress)
This is one of those nostalgia books. They're not exactly high-class literature, but the Ghallager Girls are great fun.

TOP FIVE REASONS TO LOVE THIS SERIES

It's about spies. Like that doesn't make everyone want to read a book. Yes, it's hokey and the concepts have slight wish-fulfillment going on. It's fun anyway.

Fast-paced and never boring. It's exactly the kind of fast-paced fun you need in your life. You'll never feel like putting this series down. It especially improves as it goes; this is
Rebecca T
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reread, 115-in-2015
This is one of those books that has sat on my TBR for practically years until I found it at a secondhand sale while travelling in London and I just had to get it. I can finally say I’ve read it. Not only that, but LOVED it.

Cammie “The Chameleon” Morgan goes to the Gallagher Academy. A boarding school for rich daddy’s girls to the world, in reality it’s a top secret school for spies-in-training. There’s no worrying about simple math and physics. Oh no, these girls go through Covert Operations, an
Mary
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had so much fun reading this! I already had the hugest smile on my face by page 2 and it didn’t leave until the very last page. It’s such a feel good, fluffy, downright hilarious book and I’m so upset right now that I don’t own the rest of the series. It’s the kind of book that can pull you out of a reading slump, that feels effortless to read and that just makes reading so much fun!

Cammie Morgan goes to the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, which sounds like a fancy school for ri
  • Killer Spirit (The Squad, #2)
  • Down to the Wire (The Specialists, #2)
  • My Fair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #1)
  • Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys
  • The Royal Treatment (Princess for Hire, #2)
  • Suite Scarlett (Scarlett, #1)
  • Broadway Lights (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #5)
  • A Girl Named Digit (Digit, #1)
  • Home for the Holidays (The Mother-Daughter Book Club, #5)
  • Brunettes Strike Back (Cheerleader Trilogy, #2)
  • Spells & Sleeping Bags (Magic in Manhattan, #3)
  • Also Known As (Also Known As, #1)
  • Goddess Boot Camp (Oh. My. Gods., #2)
  • Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2)
Ally Carter writes books about spies, thieves, and teenagers. She is the New York Times Best-selling author of the Gallagher Girls, Heist Society, and Embassy Row series. Her books have been published all over the world, in over twenty languages.

She encourages you to visit her online at allycarter.com and embassyrowbooks.com.
More about Ally Carter...

Gallagher Girls (6 books)
  • Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls, #2)
  • Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Gallagher Girls, #3)
  • Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls, #4)
  • Out of Sight, Out of Time (Gallagher Girls, #5)
  • United We Spy (Gallagher Girls, #6)

“I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear. Well, that's me—Cammie the Chameleon. But I'm luckier than most because, at my school, that's considered cool.

I go to a school for spies.”
557 likes
“I think it's kinda nice.' And I did. my mom isn't famous for her pies. No, she's famous for defusing a nuclear device in Brussels with only a pair of cuticle scissors and a ponytail holder. Somehow, at the moment, pies seemed cooler.” 451 likes