Start by marking “Our Search for Happiness: An Invitation to Understand the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” as Want to Read:

This book has Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
ACE #1

In this, the most recent addition to the approved missionary personal library, Elder M. Russell Ballard explains the Church and LDS beliefs in a clear and inoffensive way. Elder Ballard discusses the Apostasy, the need for the Restoration, the Book of Mormon, the priesthood, the plan of salvation, the Articl
Published September 1st 2001 by Deseret Book Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Our Search for Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Search for Happiness

Kimberly Walsh
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it gave me food for thought. It was recommended to me by some Mormon friends as I was interested in their religion. It has led me to explore the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day-Saints in more depth. There were places where I had to stop reading in order to contemplate what I read and times when I thought I was not going to finish because of what I read, however it would nag at me and I had to pick it up again. Powerful.
Jamie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy learning about different Faiths. Over the last couple of years I have made many friends who are Mormon. I admittedly do not know very much about the Mormon faith. A dear friend who is LDS has been answering my questions and sent me this book. It has been a great help in understanding her beliefs and the religion better.
Scott
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
My absolute favorite part in this is Ballard's recounting of his father's sacred experience of being visited by the Savior. Although I know these experiences are usually too sacred to be shared, it was comforting as a young missionary to be reminded that modern prophets do have these visits, such as the one the David B. Haight recollected in General Conference back in 1991 or '92. Since then I have realized that many of the members of the church have these experiences--mission presidents, instit ...more
Patrascu Mihai
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy to understand why we feel sometimes unhappy! :)
James Van Leeuwen
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really good overview of the restored church and the ultimate search towards happiness.
K.Q.  Webster
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has been on my to-read-eventually-when-I-feel-like-it shelf. Three days ago I saw it sitting there and had the prompting to pick it up and start reading. It was a quick yet powerful read. I am currently waiting on my mission call and doing everything I can to be prepared to serve. I can say this book has been a wonderful preparational tool and I'd advise anyone preparing for a mission to read this.
It is written especially for those who aren't members whether they are interested in the
Jessica (Books: A true story)
I really liked that it presented the basic beliefs of the Mormon church to someone who didn't know anything about it. It was a great reminder to me of the basic doctrines and how important it is to share what I believe in a loving way with others. My favorite quote is from page 3: "Our tendency is to mistrust anything that departs from our own perception of normalcy, focusing so much attention on the things that divide us that we lose track of the many things we hold in common that should unite ...more
Tyler
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: This book serves as an introduction to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, written by an apostle of that Church. Elder Ballard discusses the beliefs that members of the Mormon Church have in regards to the apostasy, the restoration of the Gospel, the Book of Mormon, the plan of salvation, the Articles of Faith and missionary work.

My Review: This book is a near perfect introduction to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It should be required reading for member
Linda Hart
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A basic practical introduction to the beliefs and practices of the LDS church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, aka the Mormons), for members and nonmembers alike. A quick, pleasant read with some stories and principles that will stick with you regardless of your religious persuasion. A good book for non-Mormons who only want to know what we believe but have no particular interest in converting. Easy read.
LeeAnn
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctrinal
Next to the scriptures, this little gem of a book is probably the most profound and concise explanation of beliefs held by Latter-Day Saints. It's explanations are simple, clear, and carry with them a unique sense of truth. I recommend this to everyone, whether they only seek to understand their Mormon neighbors, coworkers, and friends or are struggling to find the meaning to life.
Robert Snyder
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great read for both those who do and do not belong to the LDS religion. Elder M. Russell Ballard does a marvelous job of explaining the doctrines of the LDS religion so that one who has never heard of the faith can understand its many intricacies. On the other hand, one who is a life-long member can still learn things that they did not know about before.
Katy
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Not what I was expecting from the title (though, the subtitle clued me in, so it wasn't a total surprise as I read it). However, I found the text a short and simple, yet powerful overview of my faith.

I particularly enjoyed the examples from Elder Ballard's own life and his ending testimony.
Brig
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for someone trying to get a basic understanding of Mormon beliefs. Written for individuals who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the Mormons), the book does a good job of summing up our beliefs and explaining why we believe what we do.
Tiffany
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone wondering about the basic beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. If you are to study a faith, it is best to learn about it from its' members, rather than those who mock it.
Addy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book portraying why members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believe what they believe in a way that is understandable to the general public. I like how it doesn't push the readers to believe what we believe, but simply increases understanding, thus promoting peace and love between different belief systems.
Wanyou Israel
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book about the fundamentals of the gospel
Sunny Leete
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for someone looking to understand the Mormon Faith.
Benjamin
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides fair insight into what makes the LDS church different from others. Highly recommended for anyone to read, LDS or not.
Stephen Greco
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a great book and a very quick and easy read. I would recommend anyone who in curious about the LDS faith, or who recently join the LDS faith, to read this book.
Cameron
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really like this book for a few reasons.

Likes:

1. It gives more of the LDS world view not just what we believe but why.

2. He gives a more detailed history not just of the Church but of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Even though the Church is only a hundred or so years old the teachings and authority are much older than that and this is why it is a "restored" Church and not just a regular church.

3. Even if you don't want to read it all the Chapter on the apostasy from Christ's time up until Josep
Daniel Impens
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In today's world many not of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints seem to be seeking for further light and knowledge even bits and pieces of faith related matters that will aid in their understanding of Gods will for us.

It is not uncommon that many of these beloved sons and daughters of God have an ever increasing desire to know in greater light what they may do to follow the example of the Savior in serving their families and friends while here in mortality. After all that is part o
Kimberly
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-nonfiction
To be honest, when I first started reading this book on my mission I thought it would be about learning how to have a better, more positive attitude and ways we could find happiness in this life. I was floored when I began reading and found out it was all about the church - how it came about, what our basic beliefs are, etc. I love it! The gospel really is the only way we find happiness in this life. I love the way Elder Ballard wrote it. It was very simple and clear - not to mention very warm a ...more
Julia
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great little book whose goal is to help you in the understanding of the beliefs of followers of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The author doesn't state he isn't seeking conversion of non-member readers but does ask them to take a moment at the end to seek God in the truth of the content provided.

The author has a wonderful way of combining personal experiences along with doctrine, which breaks up the dry tone at times. At the same time the reader receives his testimony and a
Katie
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
A pretty basic overview of the doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, written by one of its leaders. Elder Ballard tells anecdotes from his life and relates in very conversational terms some of the basic tenets of the church. As a member, I enjoyed getting back to basics and reaffirming my testimony in the Articles of Faith and other things I sometimes take for granted. For someone who isn't a member I think he does a great job of explaining us and our beliefs -- even clea ...more
Angela
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great read for anyone curious about LDS religious beliefs or current members. Brother Ballard says everything so eloquently. Some parts I loved...
I continue to believe that faith-real faith, whole-souled and unshakable-can be as important to a healthy, balanced life as a sturdy anchor to a ship bound for the open seas.
You can never look at yourself in the same way if you know that you are a child of God and that he knows you, loves you, and cares about you. And you can never look at othe
Heidi-Marie
A good book to explain some of the basic beliefs and practices of the LDS (aka Mormon) Church. I can see and I agree with why this is part of what we call the Missionary Reference Library. I think what I enjoyed most was listening to the audio, for it was read by the author and I never tire of listening to the prophets' and apostles' voices.

Definitely recommended to those (especially my friends) who are curious about my beliefs--reason being the point of the book: to help them understand more of
Kerri
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This book took me much too long to finish. It is a very basic, simple approach to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It fulfills it's purpose well, that of explaining basic tenants and beliefs. But because it was so basic, I was bored; it was all stuff I know already. Every story I have heard so many times, every example is well used. But I would recommend it to someone who knows nothing or little about the church. I wouldn't recommend it to people who have been active, faithful me ...more
Amanda
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading this book. While it was mostly written for the purpose of educating those not of our faith, I feel that I also gained much by reading it. Though I didn't necessarily learn anything new, I loved the sweet and simple testimony that Elder Ballard shared. I could feel the truth of his words and the Spirit that they brought with them.
This would be an excellent resource to share with anyone looking for more information on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Eld
Anita
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book to fulfill the goal "read a book about theology". Written by an apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ (my church) to non-members (and members) to help explain what we believe and why. It is one of the few books our missionaries can read while on their missions. this was my first time reading it, and i liked its clear way of expressing things. the only fault i had was at times the author talked directly to the reader and personally, i'm not a fan of that style of writing. the con ...more
Von Sowards
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, lds-author
In this world we live in, individuality is one of the largest and wide spread religions. Men and women spend much, if not most of their time learning about, shaping, presenting, and defending their own individuality. This often places people on a self-righteous moral high horse. This attitude amongst people dilapidates hundreds of year of trying to build human love and unity.

This is a book focuses on building cross cultural understanding and cooperation.
  • Our Heritage: A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Truth Restored
  • A Marvelous Work and a Wonder
  • Lectures on Faith
  • Mormon Doctrine
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • The Holy Temple
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
President M. Russell Ballard has served as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter–day Saints since October 6, 1985. He was set apart as Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles by President Russell M. Nelson on January 14, 2018.

He was born to Melvin R. and Geraldine Smith Ballard. He attended the University of Utah. He served as a counsel
“But when considered from the unique perspective of eternity, fame and popularity aren't nearly as important as loving and being loved; status doesn't mean much when compared to service; and acquiring spiritual knowledge is infinitely more meaningful than acquiring an excess of wealth.” 1 likes
“Honey, we may not have much money or the other things that some people think are so important. But I have a feeling that of the four men on that plane, I was the happiest and, in a way, the richest. I have blessings that money simply cannot buy. And I have the satisfaction of knowing that the things that are most important to me—you, our family, and my love of God—can endure forever.” 0 likes