Start by marking “The Destiny of the Sword (The Seventh Sword, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Destiny of the Sword (The Seventh Sword, #3)

The Destiny of the Sword (The Seventh Sword #3)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  2,367 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
The Riddle of the Goddess

Wallie Smith had been dying on another world when the Goddess transferred his mind to the body of the barbarian swordsman Shonsu. Then She gave him the great, magical Sapphire Sword of Chioxin and sent him on a mission.

All he had to do was to lead the arrogant band of swordsmen to destroy the sorcerers and their Fire God.

Now Wallie discovered that
Published November 13th 1988 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about The Destiny of the Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Destiny of the Sword

Algernon
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013

This is the third and final book in the original storyline (there's a fourth book published recently) of Wally Smith, alias Shonshu, a chemical engineer magically teleported to a fantasy World ruled by the number seven : seven ranks of skill in any given profession, seven cities ruled by swordsmen, other seven cities ruled by sorcerers, seven companions to form a fellowship for Wally, seven legendary swords created by master artisan Ciuxin, seven top swordsmen to lead the tryst (a sort of crusad
Brian
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Series:
7/17/10 - 7/10
The Seventh Sword series starts off really well. The first two books are very readable, with interesting characters in an interesting world. It's actually better than the description makes it sound. It's a real page turner that keeps you guessing. Unfortunately, the third book was a big let down. I felt that the characters weren't at all true to themselves and the plotting didn't make sense in the context of the story. First 2 books were 9/10, last was 6/10 - series 7/10.
Kathleen
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Swords versus sorcery, but what looks like magic is only technology. It's time to usher out the Age of Legend and move the World along, driven by the will of the Endless River, the goddess herself.
The original trilogy ends here. I admit, I got suds in my eye. Poignant, but happy. Suspenseful. Duncan is a masterful story teller, using no coy tricks or communications slips to create a solid plot and vivid characters.
I will go on to the additional book, Death of Nnanji, written years layer.
Metaphorosis

reviews.metaphorosis.com

Wallie Smith, reincarnated as Shonsu of the Seventh Sword, and struggling to fulfill the Goddess' mandate, has gathered a small group of talented supporters, but ruined his reputation in the process. Now, he has to recruit an army composed of fellow swordsmen - who all despise him.

I don't recall why I didn't pick the Seventh Sword series up when I first saw it years ago. Possibly because of its 'sidewise' concept, but more likely due that that bane of youth - la
Brett
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The conclusion of the Seventh Sword Trilogy is both satisfying and well wrought. It is also rife with a number of twists that further elevate the tension and recast parts of the story in fresh light.

The natures of the sorcerers and the swordsmen will be further examined and their relationship will be pondered as well. As matters come to a head, Wallie recedes a bit and Shonsu returns center stage giving the reader some interesting contrasts between ideals, pragmatism, and ambition. Nnanji contin
Marko
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third and final book in the Seventh Sword trilogy. I read the entire trilogy over the past couple of weeks and I take that as proof that it had gripping power and was well enough written to keep me hooked until I had finished all the books. While trying not to spoil anything, the story is about a swordsman who is given a task in the form of a riddle and who then ventures to explore the world and finds love, power and sadness on the way.

Overall, the first and second books are the stro
Robert Runte
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian-sf-f
Re-read this 2012 after nearly 25 years and it stands up (like the rest of the series) very well. If anything, I appreciated the writing more this time around as I've since become an editor and most recently a novelist myself. I was particularly impressed by how Duncan handles the body/mind interface in this novel, and how he is able to have a character who is both completely consistent and emotionally divided. Just enough flaws for the character to be well rounded and human (rather than too obv ...more
Sean Randall
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
what an absolutely perfect end to such an enjoyable series. I will concede that at times the religion was a stretch for me, but the debate of whether or not a miracle could be expected was certainly eagerly anticipated. This really is alternate-universe fantasy of a high order, and although it's a little early in the year for such statements, this series is certainly my high point of 2009. What shall top it? Bring 'em on!
Sbuchler
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sbuchler by: Sabrina
Genre: High Fantasy

Third and final book in the _Seventh Sword_ series. Wonderful!! End is somewhat bitter-sweet, as I'm starting to expect from Duncan's series ... but well worth the trip, and it has certainly been sticking with me. :-D
Marc
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This trilogy is the best treatment I have seen of the clash of cultures and the coming of technology.
astaliegurec
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Duncan's "The Destiny of the Sword (The Seventh Sword Book 3)" was the original end to his "The Seventh Sword" trilogy (circa 1988). In 2012, he published a 4th book, but since this book ties things up nicely, I'm not sure why he did that. Anyway, if you liked the previous two books, you'll like this one. They flow one to the next and are written in almost the exact same style. My only complaint is that the solution he has his characters come up with (which I did NOT see coming (though I sh ...more
Lianne Pheno
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chronique tirée de mon blog :

Une très bonne conclusion d'une trilogie différente !

Dans ce tome Wallie dit trouver la solution aux deux derniers mystère de la prophétie : trouve un moyen de contrôler les guerriers et trouver quoi faire de l'épée qu'il a reçue en cadeau au début du premier tome.
Encore une fois c'est l’expérience de Wallie dans notre monde qui va l'aider à accomplir ses taches. Mais plus le temps passe plus il se sent déconnecté de la tache qu'il lui reste à accomplir.

Il se sent
Ian Armstrong
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final instalment in this trilogy does not disappoint, it beautifully wraps up the character development and brings the tale to an intriguing conclusion. Perhaps a little slower in pace and action than the first two books it nicely sets up the slow realisation of the secret nature of the World.

The final enlightenment of the main character as to the true strands of destiny that entwine him and the others to the sword along with his reward and the exposition of the god's scheme's that define hi
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
As a review for the series, I liked it but omg detail detail detail detail - SO MUCH DETAIL. If you like Robert Jordan, or Raymond E Feist, you'll probably like this series. The story flows and the characters are likeable, it's not hard to read and I read 3 books in a few days (haven't got my hands on #4 yet). I found myself skipping paragraphs and getting annoyed simply because everyone was so hung up on How.Things.Are. Even saying Hello to someone is ridiculously formal. The series centres aro ...more
Kurtis Story
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
Along the same lines as the previous books in the saga, this was good but not great. However, the ending made up for some of its failures, in that it surprised me and was a well thought out ending for the series - not what I would have chosen, but a fitting ending nonetheless. This book saw a lot more come into play from the main character's "past", which I thought made the story more interesting as well. As far as the ending, the twist is well planned and thought out, and I appreciated its uniq ...more
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A tryst of swordsmen has been convened to fight the sorcerers, and Wallie Smith has been commanded by the Goddess to lead them. Unfortunately, his alter ego Shonsu already failed that task quite emphatically, Wallie's newfangled ways freak out the other warriors, and his knowledge of Earth's history makes him doubt he's on the right side of the conflict. Wallie must channel MacGyver and George Washington to win a war unlike anything the World has ever seen. A cast of flawed but likeable characte ...more
Leon Aldrich
May 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wally Smith, having died on Earth, finds himself reincarnated as a swordsman in another world and entrusted by the presiding goddess with a mission that has no appeal for him at all. Can he bring together all the swordsmen to finally defeat the Sorcerors and their terrible technology? Wally isn't quite convinced he should, but Goddesses can be very persuasive... This is the third and final exciting book, after THE RELUCTANT SWORDSMAN and THE COMING OF WISDOM in THE SEVENTH SWORD TRILOGY.

Long liv
Hrishabh
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It is the destiny of Book 2 of trilogies to fall short so Book 3s are considered amazing. That said, Book 3 of the series is actually very good. Having heard someone mention that it has an amazing finale, I raised my expectations and was still rewarded with something better. Without giving away any spoilers, I would still mention that you will only feel satisfied at the end of the epilogue. But seriously, well done, Mr. Duncan!
Kevin
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Dave Duncan is one of my favorite authors, but this book and this series is not the one to start with if you are just reading him for the first time. It is probably more me than the series but the main character did things that didn't seem to follow who he was and that drove me to put the book down on more than one occasion.
Cal
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice finish to the trilogy. The emergence of culture shifting technology in a primitive world was well done - noting that there is pain in the birth of change. The author pays homage to Mark Twain (A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court). Not sure why there is a fourth book - but, I'll read it.

It was clear that Wallie was never going to war. Many good minor characters.
James Glenn
Outstanding

Long loved this series, and this author. Having read it multiple times, it effects me much the same each time. Outdated? Yes. Overly simple in its judgements? Perhaps. But still a masterwork of world building and a nuanced evolution of hero depiction.
Alan
I was gonna give this book only 3 stars because it was basically same as the 1st 2 books, and then Shonsu started doing stupid stuff toward the end. But then the epilogue just blew me, it was a great ending and I didn't see it at all. I'm a sucker for a happy ending, hence the 4 stars.
KD Mackintosh
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
As the final book to a trilogy I found that this book was well rounded and had good answers to the questions the earlier books posed. Although these books were not ground breaking I did find them a fully enjoyable read.
Steve Markham
So, I admit that I got addicted to this trilogy and I am glad I did. This is all though I found the religion a bit too hard to swallow all the time is or was a great way to end the set of three.

Relationships built up over the three books brought to a climax by a master story teller.
Eilis
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, to-read-2016
It took me sooooo long to finish this book, which is crazy because I loved it! A very detailed Universe, great characters and a complex adventure. One of the fantasy books I prefered... and I've read a lot!
David Shaffer
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This series is a great example of doing something new in fantasy Sci-Fi. We have tattoos today, but having them on your eyelids... to identify what station you have in life... that is cool. This series is easy to fall in love with. Swords, a touch of romance, and overthrowing the "man".
David Korinetz
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Worth reading.
Amanda
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Augh, there's something in my eye. Dust, maybe.
Tishangela
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars really - great entertainment.
David
Sep 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Good, fun travel reading. Also a little surprising -- the latter half of the book did not at all progress as I expected from the first part.
  • Der Thron der Libelle (Drachen-Zyklus, #2)
  • Six of Swords
  • The Horse Lord (Book of Years, # 1)
  • The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight, #2)
  • The Spell of the Black Dagger (Ethshar, #6)
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • The Fifth Book of Lost Swords: Coinspinner's Story (Lost Swords, #5)
  • The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5)
  • My Son, the Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #5)
  • Dragonstar (Winterlands, #4)
  • The Serpent Mage
  • The Prophet of Lamath (Pelman the Powershaper #1)
  • Choose Your Enemies Carefully (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #2)
  • The Sorcerer's Lady (Sorcerer, #1)

The Seventh Sword (4 books)
  • The Reluctant Swordsman (The Seventh Sword, #1)
  • The Coming of Wisdom (The Seventh Sword, #2)
  • The Death of Nnanji (The Seventh Sword, #4)

“L’écriture permettait d’accumuler les connaissances,” 0 likes
“Après l'âge des légendes vient l'âge des ténèbres. Comme un fœtus qui évolue. Puis vient l'âge de la sagesse – bien que certains mondes ne parviennent jamais à sortir de l'âge des ténèbres.” 0 likes