Start by marking “The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)” as Want to Read:
The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)

The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)

This collection of original papers on the special and general theories of relativity is an unabridged translation of the 4th edition of Das Relativitatsprinzip, together with a revised edition of an additional paper by H.A. Lorentz.
Published June 1st 1952 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Principle of Relativity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Principle of Relativity

Start your review of The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)
Nitu Ushi
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I was floored by this work. If taken slow I feel that any person of reasonable intelligence can understand the concepts that Prof. Einstein puts forth on the laws that govern time and space. This monumental work is, to me, less like science and more like poetry.
Daniel
Dec 08, 2007 added it
This is IT!
Erik
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The beautiful thing about science in the original is that, while the results may not always be correct or as clearly expressed as they might be, you do get the original philosophical arguments that led to the theory in the first place. This is especially true of Einstein. To me, he is clearly a philosopher in his original papers, both in his unifying view of things and also the argumentative techniques he uses.
Bob Finch
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Reading the original papers that made Einstein famous is a treat. His remarkable concision is especially inspiring.
Woflmao
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, reviewed
This book is a collection of papers by Lorentz, Einstein, Minkowski and Weyl that laid the foundation of the Special and General Theory of Relativity.
Collecting these papers in a book give the reader an appreciation from what problems and ideas the theory developed, instead of getting it ready-made in a modern textbook.
For Special Relativity, this works fine. Though Lorentz paper is barely readable, Einstein writes very elegantly and explains in very simple term his ideas. In fact, today's textb
Mafalda
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mafalda by: The best teacher ever
In 1990 I had to write a paper about time travel. Reading this book was a must.
I got so excited about the subject that in the end I wrote two. One on multiple universes and the other on tachyons* (kind of an mental experiment). The latter one was directly inspired by this book, my conversations about it and deep thinking/lots of fun at home.

If you really love physics, reading, thinking, and are not scared at some of the maths involved (I still can't grasp half of it) this book is pure joy.

*A tac
Conrad
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-physics
The Principle of Relativity is a tough read of a concept that is difficult to grasp. I had the benefit of help and insights from my classmates over the few months we wrestled with Einstein. I admit I experienced several false 'Aha!' moments along the way. Eventually I did manage to successfully conceptualize the fundamentals of the theory before my class moved on, but I had to revisit Einstein's work several times on my own to gain a deeper and more useful understanding of relativity.
Ibrahim Magdy
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Include an intro to minkowski space time coordinates
Petra Hermans
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You call it telepathy.
The strategy of Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
made him a good student.
Vicki
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As an Einstein groupie I loved this book, well written for the masses to understand the most important theory that was ever developed which changed the world.
Paul Vittay
Yashwanth Manivannan
Feb 08, 2016

• A Briefer History of Time
  • The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of the Universe
  • Parallel Worlds: A Journey through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos
  • The Illustrated A Brief History of Time/The Universe in a Nutshell
  • Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays
  • Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension
  • Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life
  • A Brief History of Time
  • The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science and What Comes Next
  • Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality
  • The Universe in a Nutshell
  • The Principia: Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy
  • The Grand Design
  • A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing
  • In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality
  • Why Evolution Is True
  • Your Inner Fish: A Journey Into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body
  • Three Roads To Quantum Gravity
In 1879, Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, Germany. He completed his Ph.D. at the University of Zurich by 1909. His 1905 paper explaining the photoelectric effect, the basis of electronics, earned him the Nobel Prize in 1921. His first paper on Special Relativity Theory, also published in 1905, changed the world. After the rise of the Nazi party, Einstein made Princeton his permanent home, becoming ...more