Start by marking “The Vampire's Familiar (Familiar Mates, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire's Familiar (Familiar Mates, #2)

The Vampire's Familiar

(Familiar Mates #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  201 ratings  ·  52 reviews
He came looking for revenge. Will he walk away from love?

Twenty years after fleeing Madison Gully as a scared sixteen-year-old, after witnessing his sister’s murder, Kirk Gracewell returns as a powerful energy vampire. He wants to find the cougar shifter who killed her and make them pay.

Every ten years, the Madison cougars get together. It’s a time of celebration to meet
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 195 pages
Published May 28th 2020 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire's Familiar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampire's Familiar

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Vampire's Familiar (Familiar Mates, #2)
W.
3.5 Stars for a Fantastic Continuation

Reviewed on May 28, 2020

I liked The Vampire's Familiar a lot and I think it's a great addition to the Familiar Mates series.

Recommend: Yes
Re-read: No

#ReadOn2020 #KU #GRR #Amazon #KindleFire
Lori S.
Just the kind of mate story I was looking for - two people drawn together by fate and working to catch a killer. It is a little on the insta-lurve end of the pool, but it oddly felt right for this particular story.

Not a bad read, though it could have done with another round of edits to catch misspellings and double words.
Joyfully Jay
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

The Vampire’s Familiar is the second book in T.J. Nichols’ Familiar Mates series. While it is set in the same world as The Witch’s Familiar, the story stands alone completely. We get some mentions of the Coven, and Jude makes a cameo at the end, but otherwise, this book stands apart so much from the first it doesn’t always feel like part of the same series. The tone felt different, and the first book has a darker, more intense suspense feel. But what ties things tog
Amanda
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5⭐

The Vampires familiar
is the second stand-alone in TJ Nicholas Familiar Mates series. A mating bond romance between a cougar shifter and a vampire witch.

"This was his mate, and no one - not even the seer - could tell him it wasn't right."/em>

Kirk is a vampire witch who returns to his hometown to avenge the murder of his sister that happened when he was young. He witnessed her death at the hands of a cougar shifter, and he's determined to find out who. Sage is a member of the cougar pack th
Amanda
Oooh I liked this better than the first one and now I’m really into this series. I feel like here we got a better look at the familiar bond, and more information on all the magical people. The world building is still expanding and I am into it. The mystery in this one was a little more obvious, but I think the romance was better and for me that’s always gonna be the more important of the two lol. I loved that a vampire isn’t at all what we would expect, and how it was a completely new take. The ...more
Ali
Shelves: reviewed
This is great continuation of this series and I loved seeing Jules at the end. Kirk has not been dealt the best hand in life but returns to at least get justice for his sister’s murder years earlier. Sage has been the odd man out for a long time and while he loves working on his family’s farm, it’s starting to drain him. These two are pushed together by fate but it goes even farther than anyone ever thought. I loved their pull to each other and even once they are accidently tied together they do ...more
Tina
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Vampire’s Familiar is the second book in the Familiar Mates series by author TJ Nichols. I loved this story. I cannot get enough of this series. Each book keeps getting better and better.
Kirk in this story he is a vampire. He is a powerful magic user and has been through hell and back. He is a kind, thoughtful, and loyal person. These things have served him well, and chain him to a past that haunts him. He is a deep character with many layers.
Sage has a sad back story too. But he is a much l
Diane Dannenfeldt
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this series. This can be read as a stand-a-lone. Kirk is an energy vampire who takes from others by touch. He can't be in contact for any length of time as he could kill someone. Years ago his sister was killed and the only thing he knows is that it was a Cougar shifter. Sage is a cougar shifter and was raised by the Madison's. There are relations that are not very nice and feel that they are owed things. The clan returns every 10 years so that the Seer can name who is next t ...more
Calila
*Received A Copy To Review From The Author*

Good read. You get what you expect to get. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a nice story with good characters. I liked them together and I liked their connection to each other. There were some nice surprises, I like that at one point Sage says he's glad Kirk is a bit uncomfortable by their bond because that's normal instead of him being all insecure over it. Kirk's self sacrificing martyrdom is a bit much, and I don't know why it took so long for someon
Kaila
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i really liked this one.. it was well written.. good storyline.. awesome characters.. all together just alot of fun to read and action packed. i liked it a lot.
MariF
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked that one better than the first books. Both MCs were more in sync with each other and nothing was truly guaranteed until they worked hard for their HEA.
A wonderful concoction of magic and shifter genres and interesting twist on fated relationships.
Katherine
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Between taking and giving

This was another story of two men who have a place in the world, but not happiness or a home, and have the chance to find it together. With a shifter who believes he can't be a familiar being of the wrong blood and a vampire who only sees years of hopelessness ahead of him it seems there is no good way through but it supporting each other more can be done than expected.

Sage runs a ranch in a small town that has always been in his family. The problem is that the family is
Debbie
Independent reviewer for Gay Romance Reviews, I was gifted my copy of this book.

20 years after his sister was killed, Kirk returns to get justice for her death. Sage's family is gathering, and Kirk is certain one of the Madison cougar clan killed her. The Seer sends Sage to keep an eye on Kirk, and it all spirals out from then!

I really enjoyed book one, in this series, The Witch's Familiar, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one too!

Kirk is called a vampire, but he doesn't bite, he TOUCHES. He feed
Anne Barwell
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, m-m
I enjoyed this 2nd book in the Familiar Mates series as much as book 1. The world building is fabulous, and I loved the references to the first book in the series, and that one of the characters showed up. Although it does take place in the same world, this one explored shifters in more detail, including seers, and the flip side of a familiar using a witch.

I liked the concept behind energy vampires, how dark magic could warp who someone was supposed to be, and the different take on who vampires
Cat
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TJ Nichols' The Vampire Familiar was a riveting mystery thriller with suspense elements and hurt/comfort. The author's excellent writing had my heart gripped with sorrow for Kirk, had my stomach in knots when I thought Kirk would be in danger, and had my whole body on pins and needles with the mystery of who done it - who killed Abby and who kidnapped Sage.

So why not 5 stars? Why only 4 stars? The book needed better editing for timeline errors. For example, The blurb stated that Kirk was sixteen
Tam
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. Kirk considers himself a vampire (he takes people's life energy by touch) so has to avoid touching people. His sister was killed by a cougar shifter 20 years ago in their small town during the big family reunion of the big shifter clan. 20 years later he feels called back to find her killer. The family seer sets Sage the task to watch the vampire and then eventually help him find the truth.

What I liked is that while Kirk is kind of broody with a difficult background, he's
Dixiecowgirl
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magic, familiars, witches, vicious plots and redeeming love are the components of this story.  I enjoyed the complex plot and the family relationships that were interesting.  My heart really hurt for Kirk and the loss of his family.   I wanted to know more about Sage and his complex family and how what his brothers did, especially Stone.  I enjoyed the plot and thought the characters really made it an enjoyable and interesting story.  I read it though in one sitting and really enjoyed it.

Sage a
Robyn
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Drawn back to his hometown to find out who murdered his sister, Kirk, a powerful energy vampire makes plans to infiltrate the Madison cougar family gathering, an event that happens every ten years. Kirk knows that his sister’s killer will be among those at the gathering and as he plans on how to catch them, he soon finds himself aligned with Sage, a member of the Madison clan. Will the two be able to work together and discover who the real murder is, and will they be able to stay safe while they ...more
Fran
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vampire Kirk Gracewell is travelling the path or revenge seeking justice for the violent death of his sister Abigail. The Madison cougar clan is harboring the killer and Kirk plans to enter the clan's 10-year celebration of finding a familiar to pair with a witch and discover the ID of the one person who killed her. The clan's seer Violet knows Kirk's intent and she tasks Sage with the duty of shadowing Kirk to discover his intentions. What Violet doesn't tell Sage is that he, the family outside ...more
Patricia Hoffstaetter
This is an intriguing MM paranormal romance & I enjoyed reading it. It is the second book in the “Familiar Mates” series & can be read as a standalone. The plot is well-written with good world building & is quite suspenseful at times. The characters are well-developed & complement each other although in the beginning they each had an ulterior motive. There is good support from the secondary characters.
It is about: a male energy vampire/witch (Kirk) with vengeful feelings comes into contact with
Rachwithheadinabook
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The second book in the series is good if not better than the first, I thought this was the more complete story. It was a decently paced dual POV story that had me guessing for a fair way into it. Kirk is scared of himself, his abilities and is so touch starved it is sad. Sage feels slightly and has been told repeatedly by others that he is unworthy of being in the family, when they finally meet the connection and attraction between Kirk and Sage is instantaneous. The formation of the Familia bon ...more
Shannon
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, arc, para
This second book in the Familiar series was interesting because of the vampire twist.
Kirk truly believes that he is destined to be alone because of the energy he takes.
When he returns home, he meets Sage, a member of the local cougar pack, and learns that there might be a possibility.
The story of searching for justice and finding love is sweet and endearing. Kirk’s need to wrap himself and Sage’s desire to have a mate twist as they hunt for the person who killed Kirk’s sister.
I enjoyed these
Ivy
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirk is a vampire who seek revenge for his sister brutal murder by a Madison.. A clan of cougar shifters.
Sage is ones of them. Violet, the seer of the clan, asks him to follow Kirk.

a little game of Cat and Mouse starts between them, but when the threats against them start to be too close , choice will need to be made for both of them.

The Vampire's Familiar by T.J. Nichols is book 2 of the Familiar Mates Series and can be read as a standalone.

I Liked Sage and Kirk, especially Sage, he's smart and
John-Torleif  Harris
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

I was a bit surprised that this book was simply in the same world as the first one, but almost wholly separate from it.

Why was Sage so sure that he would never get to be a familiar? Was it because he was gay? Or because he wasn't a Madison by blood? I never clearly understood that.

How did Kirk not get corrupted by his mentor? Wouldn't he systematically break down Kirk's morals and work to force Kirk to his way of thinking? Why wouldn't his mentor have cut his losses when he saw that K
Síne
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute

Disclaimer: Getting a 5 star rating out of me is extremely difficult. I don't often go over a 4, so they really need to give the ability for half stars. While I can't fully rate this a 4 it's also definitely above a 3.

This was a sweet little story. I really liked the twist on the traditional Vampire lore. It's refreshing seeing something new. The murderer was fairly predictable but that didn't take away any of the enjoyment for me. I kind of like that at times actually. Convoluted plots wit
Lillian Francis
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: filed
This is another solid tale in the his series.
There is no need to read book one first as this stands quite nicely on its own. Excellent interpretation of vampires, I really liked that aspect of this story and the world-building flows on well from the previous story.
Despite the 20 years cold case murder this didn't have the same sense of 'other' as the first, maybe because we know from the outset that the murderer is one of Sage's extended family. In fact I had it narrowed down to 2 shifters str
Devoted❤️Reader
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first bite

“What is chemistry if not a little magic that smooths the bumps in relationships?” Kirk and Sage have oodles of chemistry (and magic) when they’re around each other. Kirk is a most interesting vampire with a painful past and Sage is just the shifter he needs to help him heal and grow. In fact, I want a Sage of my own but maybe with a slow introduction to his family as they are entirely too “helpful.” Sage and Kirk complement each other wonderfully and I hope we see them again. This
Anabela.M.
Kirk hated cougar shifters, and wasn't it the ultimate joke from the fates that his mate was precisely a cougar?

Not a funny joke, though, because it seemed like all the odds were against Kirk, Sage and their happiness. I liked their connection and the build up of feelings between them, how they slowly began to trust one another until they eventually fell in love.

The mystery of who has killed Kirk's sister was intriguing, and the story as a whole kept me on my toes up until the ending.

I really
Georgiana
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story a little more than the first one. I really liked the idea of an energy vampire/witch and that Kirk couldn’t touch others with out draining them and possibly killing them. It made for an interesting start with the intimacy between him and Sage.

Both Sage and Kirk are likeable and sweet characters. I liked the fated mates aspect and watching the attraction and even insecurities between the two.

This is a quick read with nice world building and a bit of mystery. I was easily dr
Violet  Marshall
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in The Familiar Mates Series. I would read the first book before this one for the fullest enjoyment of this book. The world building is better in this book than the first book. There is a little confusion on the ages of the characters but otherwise the characters were developed and thought out. Kirk an energy vampire and Sage a shifter are the MC’s of this book and fated mates. I can recommend this book as a good read. I voluntarily read an advance copy of this book for a ...more

• Forbidden Magic (Magic and Claws, #1)
  • Captive Mate (Mismatched Mates #2)
  • Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • Diagnosis Wolf
  • Concealed Magic (Magic and Claws, #2)
  • Deven and the Dragon
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • The Second and His Bonded (Kincaid Pack, #2)
  • Magic Touch
  • Convincing Conrad (Bodyguard Pack, #1)
  • Wolfsbane (Werewolves of Boston #1)
  • Smash & Grab (RELIC #1)
  • All Kidding Aside (Magical Mates #1)
  • How to Lure a Hunter (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #3)
  • The Reluctant Alpha (West Coast Wolves, #1)
  • Illuminate (The Magic Users of Greenford #1)
  • Huntsman (Fox Hollow Zodiac, #1)
  • The Soldati Prince (Soldati Hearts, #1)
TJ Nichols is the best selling author of the Studies in Demonology and Familiar Mates series. They write mostly gay fantasy and paranormal romance, but sometimes gay action/horror as Toby J. Nichols.

After traveling all over the world and Australia, TJ now lives in Perth, Western Australia.

You can find TJ on
twitter @TobyJNichols
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TJNichols.au...
Newsletter: http://e

Familiar Mates (5 books)
  • The Witch's Familiar (Familiar Mates #1)
  • The Rock Star's Familiar (Familiar Mates, #3)
  • The Vet's Christmas Familiar (Familiar Mates, #4)
  • The Detective's Familiar