Start by marking “Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age” as Want to Read:
Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age

Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age

Keep your brain young, healthy, and sharp with this science-driven guide to protecting your mind from decline by neurosurgeon and CNN chief medical correspondent Sanjay Gupta.

Throughout our life, we look for ways to keep our mind sharp and effortlessly productive. Now, globetrotting neurosurgeon Dr. Sanjay Gupta offers insights from top scientists all over the world, whos
Kindle Edition
Published January 5th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Keep Sharp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep Sharp

Start your review of Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age
Elyse  Walters
Audiobook....read by the author: Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta is a respected well-known neurosurgeon, medical reporter, and writer. He has a well- deserved reputation. I like and respect him myself. I enjoy listening to him on CNN....etc.

I appreciated Sanjay’s journalism reporting following the attacks on 911.
That said....this book isn’t higher than 3 stars for me.
I revisited things I’ve learned from past years— dating back to 2010 when I read a book called “The Secret Life of the Grown-Up Brain”
Christina
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Dr. Sanjay Gupta for his intelligent science-based medical commentary on CNN, so I was excited to see if his writing was as interesting as his commentary. I was not disappointed! This book is not only informative about Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and other well-known illnesses of the brain, but also provides tools for sharpening your brain at any age. (Youngsters, listen up! Every time I lose my car keys I wish I’d started working on this sooner.)

I really enjoyed the straightforward an
Donna Hines
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What's the best way to keep the mind focused, sharp, alert and on track?
Sanjay Gupta gives us the tools to process the information and be successful with central focus upon food intake, drugs, supplements, vitamins, exercise, and more.
Did you know the brain is made up of seventy three percent water?
Ergo, why it's important to drink those 8oz of water per day to prevent dehydration.
Did you know dementia is related to the fat around the midsection?
It's questions such as these that truly get to the
Michael Payne
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Move. The key takeaway here is to move more, stress your body and cells with bloodflow, circulation and the oxygen that fuels your brain. Move, move & move.

Our brains are plastic: shape yours. Challenge yourself with new uncomfortable materials, new adventures, new social situations. Learn, learn, and learn.

Keep going. There is little need and little good data on retirement, don't stop. Possibly work a little less, but keep working, keep engaging and have a purpose and meaning in life. You can c
Jen
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books about the brain and neuroscience always interest me, and Sanjay Gupta's Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age qualifies because, while it is written for the lay person, it is a good combination of science and easy to understand examples. Well-documented with studies that explain the way the brain works and what we can do to keep our brains in the best condition possible, the book offers good advice and suggestions to keep our minds sharp.

A few excerpts and comments:

"But it important
Jessica Zu
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
insightful and full of concrete, easy to follow action items.
Christy  Martin
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sanjay Gupta gives a comprehensive view of all the currently known tricks and techniques to keep the brain healthy, with an emphasis on staving off the much feared dementia related illnesses. Gupta gives 5 specific goals for the reader to follow to maintain memory these include, diet, exercise, social inclusion, etc.. While Gupta's book is comprehensive on the methods of keeping good brain health unfortunately society and quarantine have made many of the suggestions difficult, if not impossible ...more
Linda Galella
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Debunks old adages, presents current research and gives HOPE for both now and the future of preparing for, maintaining and repairing your brain to be its most healthy.

“Keep Sharp”, by Sanjay Gupta, is a positive, motivating read and not the usual celeb-health, sell me stuff tome I’m used to finding. It’s got bits of biographical info that share his true motivation and stories of relevant experiences that give punctuated purpose to the data that’s been shared and it all flows together seamlessly.
Joy Lee
Rating: 5
Re-Read Factor: Yes

Memory loss is not a preordained part of aging.

Sanjay Gupta does an incredible job in relaying information about current developments in the realm of neurological research as well as explaining ways to combat memory loss at large. He untangles hard science while connecting it to our daily habits and beyond. Having read Chasing Life: New Discoveries in the Search for Immortality to Help You Age Less Today and Cheating Death: The Doctors and Medical Miracles that Ar
Nikki
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgally
Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age by Sanjay Gupta
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Genre: Health, Mind & Body
Release Date: January 5, 2021

Keep Sharp by Sanjay Gupta is an exceptional resource for someone interested in understanding brain decline and keeping your brain sharp at any age.

The writing is easy to understand and is written in a familiar tone. There is a quick quiz that helps you gauge your own personal risk of brain decline. I found the questions to be very interesting and my pers
Emily
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fortunately, at present, I don’t have any family members who have been diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease but I still found this book incredibly insightful. In the interest of my health and the health of my loved ones, I was fascinated to hear about the proven methods to promote brain health. This book taught me a lot about what can be done to prevent cognitive decline and what scientists have learned thus far.
Jesse Keljo
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a high quality, practical guide to improving brain health that is an easy recommendation to anyone who wants to care for their own brain and/or is caring for someone with any kind of cognitive decline. I appreciate that the author isn’t selling something (aside from the book itself of course) or saying there is a silver bullet.

His narration is sincere, and I appreciate his genuine care for those suffering from cognitive decline and those who care for them.
Fatimah Omar
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Insight

Worth knowing how to improve your mind before you lose it is invaluable. It’s never too late to start taking care of yourself it’s a gift to your family and loved ones. Good information.
Mariam
Good resource for caregivers who are bracing for the long the goodbye.
Zhuo Zhang
So still those factors are crucial to the sharpness of our brain: exercises, food and connection. Exercises include HIIT, strength training and cardio; food: do not follow any diet, but certain guidelines. The author provides a very generic guideline, such as no added sugar, etc. Human connection is the most important but hard one, in my opinion, because it is a little bit out of our control, unlike the other two factors.
Hillsullivan
Quick listen on audio. Just recemented what I knew. Which at New Years is not a bad thing.
Allison Hogan
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great nuggets in whole health- nutrition, exercise, sleep, along with medical information.
Runner10
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much information by reading Keep Sharp. Dr. Gupta is an expert in the medical community. I trust this source.
Lori
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating information and great advice for a healthy mind (and body).
Createpei
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Gupta has more than earned his stripes ***and our trust*** with the many detailed answers and background information on the latest health pandemic via CNN's COVID town halls. Now, Dr. Gupta has released this important book, "Keep Sharp." Think of it as a manual - that talks about your body's main computer - the human brain.

With tons of information of how the brain functions, how memories are made, how various diseases impact your mind. The best part of this book to me, however, was his guide
TEELOCK Mithilesh
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
With the world upside down indefinitely, it can be hard to stick to what used to be normal routines or even to stay focused these days. Although researched and written well before the current global dilemma, Dr. Sanjay Gupta’s latest work strives to serve as a manual toward maintaining and improving cognitive health, from debunking common myths about aging to prescribing which social interactions and games are actually beneficial.

Carolyn Amate
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed this book by Sanjay Gupta, Keep Sharp. The book was filled with alot of information about how the brain works, what helps and hurts the brain.
He goes alot into discussing memory loss and dementia as well as alzheimers, that disease we all fear. However he gives us hope as we can change our lifestyle and possibly avoid all this or push it back
In his book he will give specific things to do to make your brain healthier.
I found this very informative and want all my loved ones
Regina Mastrogiacomo
A thorough book about dementia and Alzheimer's that goes through what science thinks is occurring that creates the diseases and some of the current experiments they are trying to fix the problem.
However, the main point of the book is to live today to do what you can to help your brain stop or slow down the disease by Exercising, Eating better, Sleeping better and Reducing stress which will help a great deal with the progression of the disease.
There's also a chapter about some coping methods for
Paul
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is excellent. It's meant to bring together the best current info on brain health, and it does so in a friendly way including addressing some myths. Some of the suggestions seem obvious and the author is a little verbose occasionally, but that doesn't detract from the book's value. Recommended.

Thanks very much for the review copy!!
Karen Troutman
Simon & Schuster
You Like Them
Health, Mind & Body
Pub Date 05 Jan 2021 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2021

Loved this book by my favorite CNN doctor. I recommend this book to all adults who want to keep a sharp mind.
Thanks to Simon & Schuster and Netgalley for the ARC.

4 star
John Weiler
There are precious few people in the media I think of as highly as I do of Dr. Gupta. This book of his has many gems that significantly improved my understanding of, and my personal plan to deal with, my (and my loved ones’) mental health as we age.

A thorough and thoughtful book to which I assigned 3 stars. Why? I found the book ... wordy. Too often the Doctor took many words where he could have been more concise. Many times, concepts were repeated 2, 3, or more times. This does not make the boo
Trisha McGady
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was well-written. I enjoyed the tone of the book and the factual approach. Having a case of this in my own family has made me want to determine what i can/not control as well as if there is any research about how to prevent it. I am still not certain about getting the test, but at least know that some of the lifestyle habits I focus on are intended to assist in staving off the disease.
Ford
Jan 19, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess I will get Alzheimer's because I have no desire to follow his diet. I like cheese and sugar. I also find it interesting that he never will discuss how a spiritual belief and attending religious services are great ways to maintain mental health, social networking and staying active. ...more
Joanne
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keep Sharp was a good book on how to keep your mind active at any stage of life. It was well written with good examples about why the following is important: movement; learning; sleep and relaxation; food/nutrition; and protection. I really liked the 12 week plan for a Sharper mind.
Nancy
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book. You will learn so much about what you need to do to say healthy not only physically but mentally. This one is staying in my library for future reference.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Wife Upstairs
  • 28 Summers
  • The Girl Who Lived
  • Rosie’s Travelling Tea Shop
  • Troubles in Paradise (Paradise, #3)
  • Greenlights
  • The Good Sister
  • The Night Swim
  • The Law of Innocence (Mickey Haller, #7; Harry Bosch Universe #34)
  • One by One
  • Trust No One
  • The Book of Lost Names
  • Moonflower Murders (Susan Ryeland #2)
  • Leave the World Behind
  • Until It's Over
  • Pretty Little Wife
  • Spoiler Alert (Spoiler Alert #1)
  • Shadows of the Dead (Special Tracking Unit #3)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database
Sanjay Gupta is an American physician and a contributing CNN chief health correspondent based in Atlanta, Georgia. An assistant professor of neurosurgery at Emory University School of Medicine and associate chief of the neurosurgery service at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, he is also a frequent guest on the

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...
“serine,” 0 likes