Start by marking “Love That Dog (Jack, #1)” as Want to Read:

look like a poem
when you see it
typed up
like that."

Jack hates poetry. Only girls write it and every time he tries to, his brain feels empty. But his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, won't stop giving her class poetry assignments -- and Jack can't avoid them. But then something amazing happens. The more he writes, the more he learns he does have something to say.
Published April 8th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Love That Dog, please sign up.
Jennifer My kids were 7 and 9 when I read it to them. They totally got it and loved it. Me too.
Crank by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen HopkinsGlass by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen Hopkins
Novels in Verse
284 books — 679 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books That Made You Cry
1,474 books — 3,130 voters

More lists with this book...

·  35,179 ratings  ·  4,205 reviews

I hope not
but I
Understand,
if it does.

Love That Dog takes less than 3 minutes to read. Okay, maybe a bit more if you’re on your 4th glass of Sangria (but who’s counting) and you linger on phrases. Phrases like:

‘and jumping on me
his shaggy straggly paws
on my chest
like he was trying
to hug the inside
right out of me’

Poems, PO-EMS. They
[Shai] Bibliophage
I like how Jack and his dad adopt a dog from a shelter/dog pound. Jack and his dog both had a great time together. It's really heartbreaking when his dog died and Jack no longer wants to have another pet because of the trauma he got from losing one. The short and bittersweet poem he wrote, in the end, is like a memorial for his dog.
Hayat
Before reading, take a quick look at the short poems at the back of this book because the story will make more sense if you do.

I saw this book at my local library and couldn't resist the bright cover, the fact that it won multiple awards, was short-listed for the 2001 Carnegie medal and that the Guardian called it quirky, original and 'defies categorisations' sealed the deal. I later found out (after looking it up on GR) that Ms Creech also wrote Walk Two Moons, my favourite book growing up whi
✘Tabby✘
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
THE REVIEW

Why this book?
My cousin wanted to reminisce

What I thought

My Cousin actually read it to me. She used to read this to her baby girl who died of Cancer when she was 3. Today she just wanted to do something that reminded her of Anna. It was a a really cute book and I know why Anna loved it so much.
Eliece
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites -- the SWEETEST little story written in journal format as a little boy learns to love poetry with the help of his teacher. It is cleverly written and fun to read. A good read-a-loud with your kids. warning -- you might cry!
Ethan H
Nov 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I wasted 20 min of my life on this piece of garbage. Thanks Creech.
Leigh Collazo
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
More reviews at MrsReaderPants.

I don’t get it
Why this book is so beloved
But then I read some reviews
And tried to write a poem
Myself
And while I still don’t really get the appeal
I almost cried
When the sweet dog died.

So I guess that’s
Something.

I read it in about 20 minutes.
Which is great
Because
I’m 10 books behind
And my students are like
“Gosh, Mrs. Collazo,

Teach
Maha
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-and-prose
A very very short book full of simple poems written from a 7 y/o's POV. I came across this book one day when I was really bored and had nothing to read. Reluctant to pick it up as it's a children's book, I didn't read it until I was desperate for something to do to past time.
This is a quick book that can also help you accomplish your Reading Challenge. Aside from that, it was fun to return to simple language and just enjoy it.
The poems were short but beautiful. However, it can let you feel. Su
Max
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, favorites
This was a very quick read even for poems. But it could invoke so much emotion. It also ended up tying things that made no sense. This made it my favorite read of a poem book so far.
Kallie.C
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love that dog was a great poetry book. It would be a good poetry read for people who don't read poetry a lot or don't like poetry because it has an easy concept. It was easy to follow along with and it was a great read for me. I normally don't like poetry book and I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. The story to this book was very simple but it was fun to follow along with and was easy to keep track of.
Margaret
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents, kids, teachers
Recommended to Margaret by: Jackie, a great fourth grade teacher
This is a second read-through of an entertaining and educational little book for children about writing poetry. It’s set in an elementary school classroom and begins with Jack writing a complaining note to his teacher that “boys / don’t write poetry. / / Girls do.” But, of course, it is no surprise that this boy will write poetry and at least some of it will be about a much-loved dog.

Apart from the relatively thin storyline, this book makes its point about the power of poetry (and of persisten
Lisa
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Love that Book!

What a beautiful way to show how a child may slowly start to appreciate poetry by trying it out himself. The development is subtle, starting with aversion (I don't want to because boys don't write poetry. Girls do.), then copying of form, rhythm, meaningful lines from famous poets, finally first own authorship and proud signing of a poem: BY JACK!
I love the fact that Jack's first poem has a secret meaning we can't grasp until he has told the story of his beloved dog at the end of
Jacob_Tyler
Oct 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was probably the worst book I have ever read. So sorry if you liked it and found it emotional or something, but it was honestly terrible. The only good part about it was that it was short so I didn't have to stick with it that long. My biggest problem with this book was that it was set up funny and I couldn't stand it. You might like it if you really like poetry.
Gaby

this
book.
Hailey
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was, ok? I think. It definitely derived emotion in some parts, then in others it was kind of bland. Not saying it was bad or anything, just not a lot of flavor.
Paige
Oct 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
it was a super easy read although i wouldn't recommend it because it was not very interesting and it got really sad at the end.
Roya
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was neither good story telling, nor good poetry writing.
The poems mentioned, though, were great. (Robert Frost! Love him)
Bea Haase
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, re-read
This was a book I read when I was in Elementary School. I forgot about how much I loved it!

Update 11/11/16: still such a great book. I love reading it and it is super quick.

xoxo,
Bebe
Chloe Heins
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As I start my poetry unit with my high schoolers, this book seems to emulate all the negative feelings about poetry that my students have expressed already. As the main character gets more immersed in poetry and positive feedback on his writing, the more he learns to enjoy poetry — an outcome I am hoping my students will have too! There is a lot that could be discussed with this book (character development, imagery, form) and I think it would be a great book to start out a poetry unit.

I loved i
Jake Miller
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, it could be a great book to read before starting a poetry unit to get out all those frustrations and worries. Love the plot, the format, the messages, love it all. More like love that book... right...?
Missy Kutyla
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I am so happy Dr. Junko Yokota suggested this novel to read because it is one of her favorites. I feel Sharon Creech , winner of the Newbery Medal for Walk Two Moons, took me to a place that was full of sounds, images, and forms. This short novel is a weekly journal entry from the point of view of Jack, a young student, initially appalled at the suggestions to read, let alone, write a poem. Each week a poem was recited to the class and his journaling about the assignment showed a progression of ...more
Joanna
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, young-adult
I love love love this book! It was my favorite by Sharon Creech until she published Heartbeat , and now I can't say which I like more. It is written entirely in free verse written in the school notebook of a boy who is a reluctant poetry pupil. The poetic form, believability of Jack (the main character), and the story he ultimately tells are simply smashing. This book would also be a great way to introduce young people to poetry; Jack's responses to a few well-known poems are written in his not ...more
Natalie
Review #3 - January 10, 2018

I love poetry and I love this book. I read it to my students every year and I never get tired of it. (It also makes me cry every freaking time.)

In my class, we look at one or two famous poems each week. This year, before I read the book, I made sure we'd looked at every poem Creech mentions. We even wrote some "inspired by" poems of our own. It was a lot of fun and it helped A LOT when we read the book. I think the kids enjoyed the book a lot more.

Will continue read
Mariah Roze
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I young my reading teacher read this book to the class and I did not appreciate the story. I thought it was a weird way for us to get into writing poetry. However, as an adult I read it to one of my students and really enjoyed it. I don't think my student understood the book or liked it as much as I did, but I found this to be a great read.

The main character, Jack, hates poetry, but when his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, won't stop giving her class poetry assignments Jack had to do them. When
Jamie Forrest
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: december-2010, poetry
I was completely unprepared for the emotional toll this lovely book had on me. I had tears running down my face... I giggled... I held my breath... This was an absolutely eye-opening reading experience for me. I wish that I had had a Miss Stretchberry to teach me to love and write poetry as Jack does during this book.

Since I didn't have that opportunity, it makes me want to learn to be a bit more like Miss S. for my own students... If you have any other books I should read to inspire this kind o
Devon
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Usually when I think of poems, I think of deep meaning text that has a secret behind the words. I liked this book, but I dont think it made those expectations. However, it was still a great book that I recommend to most!
Beth
Apr 05, 2009 added it
Love this book
Nolan Mitchell
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought Love that Dog was a poetry book that I could tolerate. Not because it was short and quick and high on lexile, but because it wasn't like other poems where it a bunch of words that rhyme and don't really make any sense. It is about a boy named Jack who doesn't really think he is good at poetry and isn't for boys like him. As the book goes on he figures out that he is actually ok at poetry just like his idol Mr. Walter Dean Myers. Jack sees that he can write about his everyday things and ...more
Allison
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
really cool
Jamey
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was AMAZING!! I love this book, so much. This book told the story of Jack and how he basically became a poet. He wrote poems as what I think as homework or some kind of mandate given from the teacher. He wrote about his dog and how he "Love That Dog":), and it was just a cute story as he grows from not knowing anything about poetry. He try different methods of poetry and how he loved this author and how he admired him. Overall this was awesome and it remember me of my yellow lab that died a ...more
Spring 2019, Wild...: Anna B Moore's Book Review 2 1 9 Jan 30, 2019 12:46PM
  • Words with Wings
  • Pearl Verses the World
  • Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku
  • A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams
I was born in South Euclid, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, and grew up there with my noisy and rowdy family: my parents (Ann and Arvel), my sister (Sandy), and my three brothers (Dennis, Doug and Tom).
For a fictional view of what it was like growing up in my family, see Absolutely Normal Chaos. (In that book, the brothers even have the same names as my own brothers.) Our house was not only full of

Jack (2 books)
  • Hate That Cat (Jack, #2)
“Sometimes
when you are trying
not to think about something
it keeps popping back in your head
you can't help it