Start by marking “The Guilty Die Twice: A Legal Thriller” as Want to Read:
The Guilty Die Twice: A Legal Thriller

The Guilty Die Twice: A Legal Thriller

Kindle Edition
Published March 1st 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Guilty Die Twice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guilty Die Twice

Start your review of The Guilty Die Twice: A Legal Thriller
Susan Hampson
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
There is no-one that fights more viciously then two feuding brothers and Travis and Jake Lynch have had the last ten years boiling and brewing for a real humdinger. Their mum hasn’t been able to bring them together or their sister. The wives have tried and failed too but the thing that drove them apart is the thing that at last makes them come face to face. The death penalty.
Travis and his wife live from month to month on his earnings as a public defender and pro-bona cases while older brother J
Julia
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Guilty Die Twice by Don Hartshorn is an intricate legal thriller set over two time periods – present day and ten years earlier in the form of flashbacks.
The whole novel surrounds the topic of the death penalty versus life imprisonment. There are some strong voices for both sides, both inside and outside the jail. For me, personally, the death penalty does not sit comfortably. Once done, you cannot undo it if a miscarriage of justice has occurred.
There is also the subject of the rich and the
Eric Farr
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for a potential review. This puts me in the uncomfortable position of writing a review that is ultimately unfavorable, even though it's more likely than usual that the publisher or, even worse, the author might read this. I don't think I was the target audience for this book after all. If you like legal thrillers or law dramas, I think you should stop right here. My review isn't going to do you any good! You might well enjoy this book, especially as a ...more
Vicky Lord
The Guilty Die Twice follows the Lynch brothers across two timelines; the primary timeline in the current day investigating the double murder case and you see their relationship breakdown by following the Sutton case ten years previously. Whereas their younger personalities are consumed by their actions, reactions and opinions relating to the Sutton case, current-day Travis and Jake Lynch are certainly distinctive. Hartshorn does an excellent job here depicting the evolution of the conflict betw ...more
Bethxdd
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t read many legal thrillers, but The Guilty Die Twice has definitely reignited my interest in this genre and I am eager to find other books like it. It’s filled with intricate plots that the author skilfully weaves together to create a compelling story with deeply complex characters and a family feud that had me rooting for a happy ending.

Split across two timelines, the story follows the capital murder case that ripped apart brothers Travis and Jake Lynch ten years ago and the present day
Carl Brookins
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An emotional, intense, persistent battle between attorneys who are brothers. Jake Lynch is the fictional District Attorney in Austin, Texas. His younger brother, Travis, also an attorney, struggles to make ends meet as the novel opens. Texas is a capital punishment state and part of the novel deals forcefully and thoughtfully with that issue.
The story is not, however a sociological or psychological treatise on the rights and wrongs nor on the social implications of an existing approach to capit
Darcia Helle
I was immediately intrigued by the premise of a "legal thriller" with two feuding lawyer brothers on opposing sides of a death penalty case. But, while the story mostly held my interest, for me it didn't live up to its promise.

First, this is absolutely not a thriller. What we have is a family drama, with the death penalty case being the divisive issue the brothers fight about. I'm not a big fan of drama.

My biggest problem is that I didn't like either brother. Jake is the typical, arrogant DA foc
David Klein
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This entertaining novel is difficult to categorize. It’s part family drama, part legal thriller, part crime story. But what may seem like disjointed genres comes together in a tight, well-paced story about two brothers—district attorney Jake Lynch and defender Travis Lynch—who have been estranged for ten years over the outcome of a previous case and are now matched against each other in a high-profile murder case.
The novel begins with a tense drug deal gone wrong, resulting in two dead and one s
Danielle Urban
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Guilty Die Twice by Don Hartshorn is an engaging thriller. Two brothers are fighting against each other and soon become embroiled in a dark crime investigation. The conversations and interactions between the brothers was entertaining to follow. I liked them both. Both have careers and wives. They want to succeed at their jobs. Only a particular case lays between them. I kept hoping things would go well for both. However, seeing how anger they were towards each other anything could happen. Th ...more
Grace J Reviewerlady
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a book which needs the reader's full attention - there's so much going on!

Travis and Jake Lynch are not only brothers, they are both lawyers. Ten years ago they were both involved in a capital case which caused a massive chasm in the family. Now they find themselves on opposing sides again - this time in a double murder case. With one brother choosing to always fight for the underdog and the other now occupying the office of District Attorney this promises to be quite a show - and in the
Namrata Ganti
Sep 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I was offered a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The premise of the book intrigued me and thus I picked it up to read. The story follows estranged lawyer brother's Travis and Jake Lynch as they navigate their separate worlds, having parted ways ten years ago. The story is told from each of their perspectives interspersed with flashbacks to the incident from ten years ago.

Though the book's premise seems to promise an interesting case involving a double murder and the brothe
Jacob Mohr
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don Hartshorn's THE GUILTY DIE TWICE has all the dark intrigue of Grisham with deeper subtext and thematic content than you'd expect from such a deep-in-its-genre pick. Because the plot tells the story from both of the dueling attorney brothers' perspectives, the novel never really materializes a true antagonist - and is all the better for it. The mystery itself, and the problem of how to handle race and class inequality in the complex, often muddy world of the legal system, becomes the focal ob ...more
Kindle Reader
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All Lives Matter

Well-written and paced. Tells us a story within a story and even a third story. Poverty, crime, how a young hood is looking for respect and recognition . The real story here isn't about the feud between two brothers in a close knit family, it's not about a kid trying for recognition, it's not about navigating politics. It's about the taking of a life for a life in the criminal justice system.This is a statement about how the system is, and that a good Christian needs to turn towa
Pam Cash
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book. Legal twists and turns and two lawyers, brothers, who have a conflicted past over a case 10 years in the past involving the death penalty. I found it to be a book that was easy to keep reading. Besides the resolution of the present case, another capital punishment trial, I wanted to find out about the past case that caused the rift between the brothers and if and how they might come together again. The conclusion was satisfying and the book provoked thoughts about the use of th ...more
Thomas R.
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review of "The Guilty Die Twice"

I enjoyed the storyline, The Death Penalty in this day and age is highly Political and usually very popular in Red Republican States such as Texas. The author makes you understand the Political Interests can influence the Legal System, especially if the District Attorney is interested in a Higher Office. The author also understands the rivalry between brothers and the burden carried by being born into a Rich and powerful family. I would hope the author would conti
Mitzi Moore
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Move over John Grisham, there’s a new guy writing page-turning legal thrillers. Don Hartshorn’s debut novel has it all: murder, politics, mystery, and family intrigue. Set in present-day Austin, with flashbacks to Ten Years Ago, the novel tells the unpredictable story of estranged brothers who practice law from different sides of the courtroom. The verdict is in—this book is highly entertaining.
Bob Williams
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A different type of legal story - refreshingly original, it holds your interest to the end.

I enjoy a well-written legal story that sounds autobiographical. The characters are believable and well fleshed-out. The previous book I read by a different author sounded like it was written by a teenager in comparison to this one. Good job, Mr. Hartshorn! Thanks for a good read.
Elizabeth Kitchen
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

I love finding new authors and this book was definitely not a disappointment. I totally recommend that you read it just know that you probably won’t be able to put it down!
Nan Christine  Borton-Smith
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

You never know what to expect when experiencing a new author for the first time — I’m ready for the next book already.
Well-written, interesting plot and great characters, you’ll love it!
This is the start of a series, if I’ve ever read one, hint hint
Dan Malkinski
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good read

I love legal thrillers of any kind. This was a well told story that kept you guessing as to what the outcome would be, as well as figuring out the animosity between the two brothers. I read it in 1 day......needless to say I really enjoyed it.
Paige Kolm
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Family ties and family breaks

This is a good story of brothers, each finding their own way. While their beginning story of the family unit was the same, the damages done had different results. I enjoyed this.
Ruth E. Roddick
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would have gone for death...

I was hoping that Travis would see the light on the death penalty issue. Good story, though. I liked the family dynamics. Kept my interest all the way to the end.
Vicki
Aug 29, 2020 added it
Read it twice!

Brother against brother! Then years! A case throws them together, on opposite sides of the courtroom. One is fighting for his clients life. The other wants to take it!
Frances Hathaway
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fran’s review

Well! That was a surprise, finding out that the author is not an attorney. This is a very good story, one that was difficult to put down. I’m looking forward to his next book.
Amanda Hodde
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful first book. Hoping the will become a series. I really enjoyed the family aspect of it.

Will definitely read more by this author.
Ann Ruple
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good

I didn't like the back and forth of the past. But, the style of the writing was very good, I will look for more from this author.
Stacey Gunkel
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Fantastic first book. I will definitely read his next one. Great characters and great flow. I hated to see it end. Bravo!
Carol Giannasi
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

This book was a page turner and had everything you like to read. ,I read till the end.lot of suspense and a good feeling to end it
Victoria Ross
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good summer read

Easy to follow. Kept me interested throughout. Usually do not review books. I will look out for more from this author.
RICHARD L CURL
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So do Readers

A truly good read that makes one think about not just the death penalty but also about family issues. Well crafted.

• I Swear To Tell (Cadence Elliott Legal Thriller Series Book 1)
  • True Intent (Nate Shephard Legal Thriller Book 2)
  • Lethal Defense (Nate Shepherd Legal Thriller Series Book 1)
  • Stolen Power (Jack Valentine Book 2)
  • Mob Lawyer: A Legal Thriller
  • Deadly Justice: A Legal Thriller (Tex Hunter Book 4)
  • Mob Lawyer 2: A Legal Thriller
  • Price of Justice (Mara Brent Legal Thriller #2)
  • Game of Justice (Brad Madison #3)
  • Imminent Harm (Cass Leary Legal Thriller Series Book 6)
  • Blind Conviction (Nate Shepherd Legal Thriller Series Book 3)
  • Divine Justice (Brad Madison #2)
  • Ripcord (Billy Beckett Book 3)
  • The District Attorney (Lettie Portman, #1)
  • Lethal Innocence (Jessie Black Legal Thrillers Book 7)
  • Gates of Power (Jack Valentine Book 1)
  • Corrupt Justice: A Legal Thriller (Tex Hunter Book 3)
  • Damaging Evidence: A Novel (Goodlove and Shek, #3

News & Interviews

“have something to back that up?” Travis stopped beside Carlisle and tapped him on the shoulder. “Excuse me, sir. I need to talk with you.” Carlisle turned around, his tired eyes narrowed and suspicious. It took him a moment, but he recoiled slightly when he made the connection. “You’re Travis Lynch.” “I am,” Travis replied, more a challenge than an affirmation. “Who the fuck do you think you” 0 likes