Start by marking “Godless Lands” as Want to Read:
Godless Lands

Godless Lands

In a plague-ravaged world, humanity struggles to recognize itself. The Blight, a vicious disease that decimated mankind, beasts, and even plant life has left its crippling mark on the world. Isolated havens, once prosperous cities, selfishly hoard what little food remains.

Yet, hope lives on where least expected.

Wandering the Godless Lands between the havens, Ferris, an ag
Kindle Edition
Published May 20th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Godless Lands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Godless Lands

Start your review of Godless Lands
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Without hope, people became ugly things.'

I picked this up randomly because of the cover and wasn't disappointed. The Godless Lands is one hell of a read!

Dark, grim and downright brutal, this is one of those books that bring to the forefront the lowest levels human beings can sink to.

In a plague-ravaged world, humanity struggles to recognize itself. And the question - Is the world you're fighting for even worth saving? - carries a deep meaning.
Mankind is left decimated by a vicious dise
Mark
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well worth the read.

This one caught my eye, in the spfbo Facebook group in a post by the author. Liked the cover, and the fact it was in a sale.

I was concerned with the length of the book, was it going to be worth reading. I like long books which are well written with good story flow.

Well I can say this is excellent, well written, good world building and good solid interesting characters both male and female Who do grow on you and you get involved in the storyline.

Even the 2 villains are well f
Jack
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Set in a world ravaged by a disease known as the Blight, Godless Lands is a gritty, post-apocalyptic fantasy that packs a huge amount of character and world-building into just over 200 pages. The story revolves around Ferris, an aged and Blight-scarred traveller who finds himself thrown into the role of guardian for two strangers, a young woman and her daughter, on the run. Hounded from one of the few surviving havens of humanity left in the world, he leads them deep into the wilds of the desola
Levi Wiseman
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
An engaging read that I couldn't put down. Character development was creative, story kept pace throughout, never lagging. ...more
Erin
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s really quite unbelievable that this is Crow’s debut novel. I tend to stay away from fantasy but wanted to support a local author. Not only did it not disappoint, I will anticipate more!
Keith Warren
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short but masterfully told tale full of despair and glimmers of hope.

Each character has a backstory told naturally by dialogue or internal monologue. From Ferris who seems without a purpose, Igs who is by nature violent and struggles to express his feelings, Bethany who is wanting to give her daughter a better life, Sir Arlo who is stuck honour bound to a mad Baron, or even the Butcher who's a clever bastard of a cannibal.

Top notch characters, I'm very impressed that I grew to care ab
John
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Medieval fantasy plus zombies and a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Crow tells a decent story with a few nice twists, and he’s not overly sentimental, killing off characters left and right, even some you might have expected to make it.

But the characters fell a bit flat for me. As a collection of characteristics, many of the characters had solid potential, but I think it came down to two things for me: 1) too much telling vs showing and 2) motivations across the board that were too straightforward an
Emily
I really loved this book and I read it in one day! It’s a gritty and somewhat dark tale of humanity and survival, but there is also a glimmer of hope which I liked. It showcases all sides of humanity, from the honourable and good, to the downright depraved and evil. The characters were the driving force of the story to me, although there’s plenty of action as well. I particularly loved Ferris, who chose to help Bethany and Katrina even though it put himself at risk. I also really liked the commu ...more
Claire
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good read. I found it hard to put this book down – read it all in 2 sittings. This book’s harsh post-plague world depicts a bleak desperate existence for its inhabitants…but there is always hope. Crow describes a very interesting world - how the post-plague havens survive, the impact that the plague had on all living things, the very different belief systems of the various characters, etc. The characters themselves are strong, varied and believable - the marked difference between the two ...more
John Pepe
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I thought that it was well written and well thought out. It has a dystopian setting and the Blight felt VERY real. The characters were well developed and had depth, the fight scences were very realisitc, and the pacing was spot on. I hit about half way through the book and found myself not wanting to put it down and powered though this to get to the end to see what transpires...it was a great ending by the way. I would definately recommend this work by Sean Crow to an ...more
Robert von Garrett
I did enjoy this book and the plot. However, it didn’t quite satisfy me as a fantasy reader. Not because it lacked magic or magical creatures (both true), but its lack of world building. There is no real sense of the world being particularly old, which is something I love about fantasy: being immersed in a world with a rich in history.

I wanted to want more. It’s a very human tale, of survival in the aftermath of the collapse of civilisation, and it was interesting to see it set in a different t
Petar P
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the book in two days. Perfect passing and amazing story.

The characters are interesting and feel very real. The portrait of the butcher really made me love how deprived and horrible as a human being he is. One of my favorite villains in fantasy.

I recommend the book to everyone that likes low gritty fantasy, dark settings and serious, well developed characters. If that's book one I really wonder how good will the next books be!?
Cody Rickert
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This debut book has me hooked and anticipating what Sean has in store for us yet. This book is very easy to read and very hard to put down.

Sean has a way of painting the picture in your head rather than telling you what is going on. It's basically a movie constantly playing with the hope of no distractions. If you do have to put it down, you are wondering all day about it.

Thank you Sean for showing a glimpse of the beauty you can create with your words.
Amy
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant debut novel

This novel is a promising start for a new author. It is packed full of interesting characters- one of them utterly detestable- and the writing technique coupled with honed word choice makes it a delightfully engaging read. I would like to meet these characters again on another adventure, see what becomes of them. Well done!
Orange Mchaddad
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stellar debut novel. Crow’s remarkable storytelling and Duchek’s convivial artwork bring this gritty tale of human survival in the face of impossible odds to life. Hope is earned in this world, never given. The fantasy is driven by medieval understand of science and an undercurrent of magical realism that just might be true enchantment. Grimdark has a new player in the game!
sayer bartlett
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
An epic story that I truly enjoyed! However, there were many editing errors (Kindle version) that often distracted me from the flow of the story. I hope to see more from this author. Great work!
Joe Peppard
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent fast past novel from a first time author. Vibrant relatable characters and a villain that’ll send a shiver up your spine. I can’t wait for more from this author.

Eric Bearden
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

Well written. Compelling characters. Among the best of dark fantasy that I have read. I am looking forward to reading more from Sean Crow.
Mert
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It managed to be everything I expected and not at all what I expected at the same time. Good job.

The writing itself was quite good. Nice style and flow.
Dean Osborne
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Godless Lands by Sean Crow

This is the post-apocalyptic fantasy that I didn’t know I needed.

In a plague-ravaged world, humanity struggles to recognise itself. The Blight, a vicious disease that decimated mankind, beasts, and even plant life has left its crippling mark on the world. Isolated havens, once prosperous cities, selfishly hoard what little food remains.

Yet, hope lives on where least expected.

Wandering the Godless Lands between the havens, Ferris, an aged and Blight scarred soldier tur
George
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not very good in transferring my thoughts on paper (or screen as it is) but will try this once.
Going through a tough time (reading wise) for some unknown reason, during which I take way longer than usual for most books.
Well this one i finished in just a few days (although it still was longer than my usual old self).
Enjoyed the characters and the story greatly and am waiting for the next book ( I hope it does have a next installment )
gary may
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Breakout success

I give this book a 5 rating as it is not my normal reading genre , however the characters quickly came to life for me and the book has great flow to it .
I can't wait to see what Mr.Crow puts out next
Dani
Jun 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spfbo6
Find my full review of Godless Lands here: https://critiquingchemist.com/2020/07...
jayne miskiewicz
rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2020
David
Feb 09, 2021

• Paternus: War of Gods (The Paternus Trilogy, #3)
  • Sharp Ends (First Law World, #7)
  • The Colour of Vengeance (The Ties that Bind, #2)
  • The Combat Codes (The Combat Codes Saga #1)
  • The Price of Faith (The Ties that Bind, #3)
  • Fatemarked (The Fatemarked Epic, #1)
  • From Cold Ashes Risen (The War Eternal, #3)
  • The Lessons Never Learned (The War Eternal, #2)
  • Paternus: Rise of Gods (The Paternus Trilogy, #1)
  • The Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Whiter Than Snow: Meditations on Sin and Mercy
  • The Memory Police
  • The Emperor's Exile
  • Shadows Linger (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #2)
  • The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind, #1)
  • The White Rose (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3)