Start by marking “The Ickabog” as Want to Read:
The Ickabog

The Ickabog

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  23,281 ratings  ·  3,880 reviews
Once upon a time there was a tiny kingdom called Cornucopia, as rich in happiness as it was in gold, and famous for its food. From the delicate cream cheeses of Kurdsburg to the Hopes-of-Heaven pastries of Chouxville, each was so delicious that people wept with joy as they ate them.

But even in this happy kingdom, a monster lurks. Legend tells of a fearsome creature living
Published November 20th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published November 10th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Ickabog, please sign up.

·  23,281 ratings  ·  3,880 reviews

Start your review of The Ickabog
HERALD
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely disgusted by these comments.
I am LGBTQ myself and I find nothing offensive. Do you people READ?
J.K.ROWLING is not Transphobic. How Can anyone even be offended by...Sorry...PERIODS.
What an insanely stupid topic. GROW THE F..K UP.

She didn't say anything Anti Trans or Anti LGBTQ. What the HELL happened to the FREE-SPEECH?
You took all her words out of context to create your TOXIC Narrative for your TOXIC Activism.
Our community is literally finished. We do not tarnish an Author's Ima
Leon Lee
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a member of the LGBTQ community myself I don't see anything wrong with JK Rowling's comments and I agree with her! She didn't say anything harmful at all. People are just SO freaking sensitive these days. This ''cancel-culture'' thing is so tiring. As she said herself, there's opinions & there's FACTS, it isn't hate to speak the truth. Also, you can simply disagree with her and move on. You feel offended? Fine. You boycott her work because you're so ''woke'', fine. We don't care! No one does! ...more
VOLDEMORT
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"SOCIAL MEDIA MADE YOU ALL TOO COMFORTABLE WITH DISRESPECTING PEOPLE AND NOT GETTING PUNCHED IN FACE FOR IT."

UNDERSTAND THIS: THERE IS NO WOKE ARMY TO DESTROY SOLID WORKS OF ART.
HOGWARTS IS TOO BIG TO GO DOWN...THE ONLY THING THAT IS GOING DOWN IS THE "TITANIC" OF THE TOXIC ACTIVISTS...
PREPARE FOR A REAL ..."CAREER OF EVIL"

Melinda Borie
Jun 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Yeah, on reflection I’m not going to be able to keep reading this. The author keeps doubling down on transphobic rhetoric that’s harmful and I can’t in good conscience enjoy a lighthearted children’s story in that context.
HECATE
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
J.K.ROWLING literally awakened an entire generation into reading...This is not how you Repay her.

J.K.ROWLING could never, even in the vivid imagination that brought us Hogwarts and Harry Potter, have expected the savagery of the woke.

Jayson
(B+) 76% | Good
Notes: Downright Grimm, it's a song of scams and scheming, too on-the-nose and twee for me but teeming deeper meaning.
Tatevik
I don't even know what would be my response for readers who rate the book without reading it and just saying that they started to hate Rowling for her behaviour. I didn't read the latest news about her, as I didn't want anything to have even a little influence on my feelings towards the writer who created my escape world. I love her as an author not because of HP, but for being the contemporary author I read, no matter it's crime fiction or children's literature.
This book was a little surprise a
Samia
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m currently on chapter 20, and while I usually refrain from rating a book till I’ve finished it, “The Ickabog” really is that good: despite being a fairytale aimed for younger children, it has not failed to capture my imagination.
I loved the detailed and fascinating descriptions of the Kingdom of Cornucopia, as well as the flaws in the characters which are portrayed as though through the eyes of a child. I love how simplistic and no nonsense the plot is, yet it’s so twisted that it keeps you
Radina ☕ Ravenclaw
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
Once again Rowling did it, never afraid to write about grown-up problems and serious themes for children. I've never expected any less from her. Can't wait to get my physical copy! Hatred brings only more hatred - a lesson everyone should've learnt as a child but unfortunately many grown-ups can benefit from this book's lessons. ...more
Samantha Thompson
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is supposed to be a reviewing site of the BOOKS!! Not a political platform for ppl who don't support women's rights.

As always JK has done a magical job of drawing you into this fantasy world. Love, love, LOVED IT and will be buying it to read over n over again. This was the smile in my endless days of lockdown n for that I thank u. 💛

#istandwithjkrowling, like millions of others and if you don't like that keep scrolling, coz no damn is given.
Rheanna
Jun 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, middle-grade
After everything JK Rowling has said I couldn't bring myself to finish this. And the story was boring anyway. ...more
Miranda Reads
Oh. My. Sweet Jesus.

She's written another.
Mariah
Sep 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fvck-transphobes

I solemly swear to never again give JKR a single cent of my hard earned money.

EDIT - JAN/27/2021:
This video by a trans woman was published just yesterday and it is fantastic. I don't expect the people who create fake accounts just so they can troll anonymously to really watch it or understand it, but it's a great resource if you're actually looking for a in-depth and authentic overview on this whole mess

Honestly, the amount of trolls this review is drawing i
Siwa
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I all ready know that this is a new bestseller in making. The Ickabog captured me right from the first sentence, just as all J. K. Rowling’s books have the tendency to do.
Daniel
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
It is not a bad book but it is written by a transphobic author so I advise you not to read this book.
Not support this person.
And don't forget, trans women are women.
Disha Rs
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t care if it’s a children’s book, I am going to read it!! 😍
Ava • That One Sapphic Writer °• Happy Pride Month! •°
I DID NOT ACTUALLY READ THIS!!!! Boycott JKR, no transphobia!!! We stand by our trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming siblings!!!!!

And don't forget...
Amy
Jun 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Did not finish.
In light of the anti-trans remarks that JK Rowling has not only made but doubled down on, we have decided as a family to put this the book down and not continue to read it. To: JK Rowling - children listen to your words. All of them. We are not going to continue to read your words.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
***Warning: Do Not Harm Yourself With Boring Books***

The writing tried too hard. The plot too desperate. The characters too flat. The storytelling too dramatic for nothing. And what's this "Ickabog"? Boo.

And yes, that 2 star rating is for the one who designed the book cover.

Seriously, is this meant to be a children's book?
Like the reading age group is 7 to 11 years. Not even meant to be a middle grade one. Like seriously?! Are you fking kidding me? With all those pretentious characters and dial
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Ko-fi

When I found out that J.K. Rowling is writing a story for children during lockdown, I didn’t really care. But they were releasing a new chapter each week, and I decided to give it a try and read the first few chapters. Maybe it was the beginning of The Ickabog, or perhaps it was J.K. Rowling’s writing that reminded me of my first time reading Harry Potter. Whatever it was, it hooked me to this story, and I kept coming back for more.

Syn
Somya Dixit
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have read all the 56 updates which have been uploaded by Rowling till now and I am absolutely loving the story so far. The book has a mesmerizing effect, it contains every single thing which a good book requires. I can't really call it a children's book considering the number of deaths that take place and the malice involved. However, it is a perfect representation of a state with a corrupt government and showcases abuse of power. It portrays how when the government is corrupt and the supervis ...more
Abbie
Jun 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
I'd bet you can find a children's story written by someone who isn't a transphobe; read that instead! ...more
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
What a fantastical and delightful world Rowling created once again! Around halfway through, I was feeling that the plot was a bit morbid and vicious to be a children’s book, but the ending was wonderful. She tied up all the loose ends perfectly! It’s no wonder this is such a popular new work.
Mohammed Arabey
Jun 01, 2020 is currently reading it
Welcome to Cornucopia..

Being quarantined sucks, but with the Queen for Magic telling a serialized story for 7 weeks is sure something to make you hold on..
First Chapter makes you travel without the precautions of "no travelling in the Corona Times", to Cronucopia, with a beautifully describing for this fictional country and its cities..
Second Chapter is where we learn about the Legend of the Ickabog...
Liz Curtz
Jun 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Found this a very poor choice as a read aloud for an 8 year old especially during the unsettling coronavirus shut down. Cleverly structured to make it hard to put down but lavish violence, cruelty and cavalier dispatching of good characters makes for a disturbing, anxious reading experience. Not at all what I had hoped for, and only wish I could interest my audience in abandoning the book. We did love My Father’s Dragon if you’re looking for an age appropriate fantasy with plenty of adventure.
Party Poison [Disco Freak Show]
Jan 27, 2021 marked it as reviews-of-the-year
I come with wisdom from the worm on a string.

Worm on a string dispenses threats.

Be ~SLITHERED~

Here is what the almighty worm on a string has to say about J.K Rowling

I hope you enjoyed the worm on a string. I am finished now.

And as you can see, I did not mark the book as read and I did not rate it, so don't come at me for giving ratings to books I haven't read because I didn't rate it.

That is all.
Sophia Triad
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
They lived in the happiest kingdom in the world. What harm could the Ickabog do?

I LOVED IT!
(Although I am not really sure that the target group is 7-9 years old. Death as a main subject is so cruel. I prefer children to be innocent and ignorant for as long as possible. On the other hand when children have to face a pandemic and their life is about to change for ever, it is good to be prepared. Still I wouldn't give it to my 9 year old daughter until I believe she can stomach the story...)
 eleanor*ೃ༄
Oct 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
J.K. Rowling TERF Controversies | Know Your Meme

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

and yet again J.K. Umbridge over here tries to make profit over a book about the wrongness of abusing power when she´s abusing her own powers. This book was free on the internet but taken down and physical copies were made to make profit. As a billionaire because of the HP series don´t you think asking for more profits is a little bit too much when writing this book?

-----------------------------------------------------

Edit:
J.k. Rowling being tran
Aishwarya
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't know how JKR comes up with such interesting ideas.
From publishing few chapters everyday to making another fairytale for kids, which even grown ups like me can enjoy, I enjoyed the ride throughout.
The cutest thing that I found in this book was "Bornding", which I don't wanna spoil for anyone so without giving the meaning away (do read the book though to find out what I am talking about!) I just want to say that the concept is so heart touching and interesting! Nobody is born a monster, th
Ceecee
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is aimed at younger readers and is an enjoyable read. The legend of the Ickabog takes on a life of its own thanks to King Fred the Fearless Of Cornucopia but especially his snake ministers Lords Spittleworth and Flapoon. I love Daisy Dovetail and Bert Beamish who are very smart kids. It’s dark in places but I think kids rather like dark! The hardback copy is beautifully presented and is high quality and would make a good present. The accompanying picture are drawn by children from all over ...more
2021 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Ickabog 16 76 Mar 04, 2021 10:44AM
Lakeland Public L...: JK Rowling's The Ickabog 1 54 May 27, 2020 02:04PM
Great Middle Grad...: NEW JK ROWLING book the ICKABOG 3 84 May 26, 2020 01:28PM

• The Tradition
  • Recycling Fun (Peppa Pig)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster
  • Peppa Goes on Holiday (Peppa Pig)
  • Nature Trail (Peppa Pig)
  • Millie's Marvellous Hat
  • Nobody Knows My Name
  • George's New Dinosaur (Peppa Pig)
  • Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone
  • Ne Ki Hiç - Haikular
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • Pippa Pepperkorn und die Tiere
  • Nurse Matilda
  • The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel, #3)
  • The Octonauts and the Great Ghost Reef