Start by marking “In the Wake of Gods” as Want to Read:
In the Wake of Gods

In the Wake of Gods

Two women. Opposites in personality and status. Divided by the breadth of the world. Identical in appearance.

Vale, bastard daughter and officer of the Helmsguard is trapped within the machinery of her father's Empire. Elyn, a fearful young woman from a remote corner of the Outer Wild, lives an insular and lonely life.

Over centuries, the gods have slowly abandoned their peo
Published June 25th 2020 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about In the Wake of Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Wake of Gods

Start your review of In the Wake of Gods
Jeremiah Seyrak
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read by an up and coming Author. Hope to see more work from him as he builds on his debut novel.
Sandra
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review and I'm very glad I did. This is an excellent story about two women that had me engaged from the very beginning. Elyn and Vale both go through some challenges that felt very familiar to me - despite taking place in a fantasy setting. They both feel like outsiders in their worlds for different reasons, they're both manipulated and controlled and I loved the story that slowly unfolded around them.
I won't spoil anything here, bu
Amie Whittington
In a world where "fantasy novel" has become ubiquitous with drab medieval politics and bloated worldbuilding, it was downright refreshing to read a story that focuses on strong characterisation and follows a bright, exciting narrative. With that said, the world is replete with history and culture: people, places and events in the story are given significance based on their context, and are explored by us - the readers - through the eyes of Elyn and Vale as strangers in their own right. Like so m ...more
A.K. Alliss
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to receive an early copy for a fair an honest review. I was also a beta reader of early drafts and saw the story develop as it was written.

The author's writing style is strong and took me back to the time honoured classics of my youth. Maintaining a firm grip on the here and now, nevertheless, this story managed to capture concepts I'd not seen before.

The tale itself is a clever and twisting thing, revolving around two sisters, separated by the breadth of the world and ab
Rowan
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an e-arc of this book! My opinions are my own.

This is the story of Elyn and Vale: two young women with a totally different life. Elyn lives a quiet life alone with her father in a small town, Vale is the daughter of a God and commander in his army. When she attacks the town where Elyn lives, both of them are in for a big surprise: they look exactly alike.

I was intrigued by this and couldn't wait to find out why!
While I liked the eventu
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the start, you can see the care with which the world has been constructed, and the characters grown from. The two women the heart of it, Elyn and Vale, are a breath of fresh air for fantasy. The story takes its time getting to know these characters, and what makes them tick as people. There are some interesting world mechanics at play, but even with that, I really enjoyed the book's focus on character, over usual fantasy cliches. There are some get twists and turns right at the end of the b ...more
Anna
I got this book at Comic-Con this year -
had a chance to speak to the author.

The book is captivating and easy to read, I finished it over the weekend. It is a good story, with believable characters and well-written dialogue. The story is character driven, which is refreshing. The author has built an interesting world of gods and war, but made it the background not the focus, in order to focus instead on the two women at the heart of the story.

The book resonated with me, especially Elyn’s journey
Barb Wild
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
To start off the book with two female characters fighting to make things better for the world was the positive for me. Easy read, and enjoyed the difference between characters. Bold and dynamic and thought provoking. Would like for this to turn in to a series!
Zandt McCue
My Mother told me there isn't enough time in the world to waste on reading a bad book. If I hadn't received a review copy of this book I would have heeded her advice and not forced myself through this.

There were times when I had to remind myself that this was a review copy and not a finished product even if I'm reading it on it's supposed date of publication. It was riddled with errors. Particularly grating was when the "two" girls are communicating mentally and the writer manages to lose track
Richard Larraga
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was an enjoyable and satisfying read. Unlike the typical fantasy, this one doesn't have a protagonist who is, potentially, the greatest mage ever, seeking his rightful ownership of some title, going on a quest with a hearty band of followers to face the oh-so-terrible evil wizard. I really get tired of that oft repeated trope.

This book has a number of interesting characters who are well fleshed out. There are some yummy twists and turns in the plot and the end doesn't leave you hanging.

Ove
Helena
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is about two young beautiful women who look almost the same way. The colour of their eyes differs though. They have to survive the war and chaos around them. And they are desperate to solve the mystery why they are so similar and why their paths have crossed...

I enjoyed reading this fantasy novel. It would be interesting what will happen next.
Julie Taylor
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Very believable characters. I really felt for both Elyn and Vale as they both go through their journeys. Both of them are trying to understand who they are, while everyone else is just interested in keeping them subjugated. There's no good guys or bad guys, just people motivated by power for different reasons. This is an interesting book because I felt like it took a street-level view of a fantasy world which, was a nice change. It raises a lot of questions for me about the history ...more
Max Hansford
2.75/5 stars
I really liked the characters. Elyn and Vale are easy to root for with cunning villains in a place where no one is fully good. Everyone has ulterior motives and it's up to Vale to teach Elyn that. The two have an interesting bond that feels a little forced. Maybe it's because they met and all of a sudden get a bond and then there's a time jump to where they are talking in each other's minds and know each other better than anyone else. That, paired with the fact that they're on opposi
Rowena Andrews
This was a book that I really wanted to love, as I really liked the cover and premise. Gods in fantasy is something I enjoy, especially when paired with female main characters, unfortunately I felt that there was something missing. I will say that the characterization for the most part was great, I liked both Elyn and Vale as characters and found it easy to emphasize and get into their story, even when in places their relationship felt a little rushed of forced. The world building was interestin ...more
Natalia
Jul 09, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF @ 49%

*I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

I'm not feeling it. It's been very predictable so far. I was expecting this to be an adult story but it feels more like a young adult. I don't think this book is for me and I rather put it down than push through it and give it a terrible rating only because I don't seem to be the right audience for it.

The chapter in the bar got me eye rolling so hard... and that's when I decided to put it down. The
Jessie Eaker
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The world building was great and loved the characters.
Luke Swanson
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
"In the Wake of Gods" has great leads, interesting world-building, imaginative prose, and more than a few narrative twists that honestly made me gasp. I'm excited to read the next book.
All that being said...
I don't typically make a fuss about typos, missing and/or unneeded commas, and the like. I get that no editing process is perfect. But, when it came to grammatical issues, this book felt like a first draft. It wasn't just one or two sentences either. Commas that shouldn't be there were there,
Mel D'Abella
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this.
The world building and mythology were original and immersive, and the character dynamics were believable and engaging. To me, it feels like this book has set the scene for an ongoing saga; at least I hope so!
There are a few marvelous treats peppered throughout the book; I won't spoil them but you'll know them when you find them.
Rowena Andrews
Netanella
Jul 10, 2020
Angie Lisle
Jul 29, 2020

• Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1)
  • Down Comes the Night
  • Lazarus Rising
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Umbral: Vol. 1: Out of the Shadows
  • Lovely War
  • Fates of Ruin (The Ardentia Saga, Book #1)
  • The Breast Defense is a Good Offense: Facing Life and Breast Cancer with an Infusion of Humor and Attitude
  • Sacrifices (The Plan #4)
  • Stranded Coil
  • Out-Innovate: How Global Entrepreneurs--from Delhi to Detroit--Are Rewriting the Rules of Silicon Valley
  • In a Holidaze
  • How to Break an Evil Curse (Chronicles of Fritillary, #1)
  • The Days the Lord Made
  • The Midnight Bargain
  • Dragon in the Mirror: Into Canonsland
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • The Year Shakespeare Ruined My Life
Christopher Monteagle is a lifelong fantasy reader and writer of fiction in various forms. Growing up in outback Australia with no running water, electricity, or - needless to say - television, Christopher was introduced to books by Tolkien and Herbert to pass the time. He soon began writing his own stories and became immersed in the worlds of fantasy and fiction.
Christopher lives in Melbourne, V