Start by marking “Unwritten (The Zweeshen Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unwritten (The Zweeshen Chronicles, #1)

Unwritten

(The Zweeshen Chronicles #1)

Books whisper to Beatrix Alba. But they aren’t the reason she has never fit in. Bullied at home and school, she keeps a secret—a power of violence and darkness.

When the spell that keeps her hidden fails, she’s catapulted into the Zweeshen, a realm where all tales live, and her dream of meeting her favorite characters comes true. But wishes are tricky, and behind its wonder
Published May 8th 2021 by INtense Publications

To ask other readers questions about Unwritten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unwritten

Start your review of Unwritten (The Zweeshen Chronicles, #1)
Toni
Apr 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
This has got to be one of the most beautiful book covers I have seen this year!

Unwritten is one of those books I never wanted to end. The story was riveting, the world was fully-developed without stifling your ability to see it in your own unique way, and the characters...well. they just jumped off the page and took on a life of their own.

16-year-old Beatrix Alba lost her mother when she was seven. She is devoted to her wonderful grandfather who is teaching her how to control the magic that live
Dex
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been truly lucky to get an early read of this amazing book! The world-building was breathtaking and left you with the desire to see it for yourself. It takes you through the adventure as if it is your own. It also parallels some of today's important issues but balances it with fun and discovery. The heroine teaches you that strength and courage come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, and looks. It teaches a single voice, a single selfless act no matter how small or quiet it is could change th ...more
♠ Tabi⁷ ♠
Jun 19, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
that is . . . one of . . . the BEST covers I've ever seen ...more
Renaissance Kate
Feb 22, 2021 marked it as to-read
Shelves: v, fantasy-reads, arc
ARC received!!✒️✨

Thank you to Intense Publications/ Xpresso Book Tours via Netgalley for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Sarah Anderson-Pagal
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I recieved an e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Oh my gosh thank you! I adored this book. The world building was fantastic. I really enjoyed her descriptions and being able to picture everything.

I was invested in the characters. I rooted for William to be a good guy from the start. I loved Emma's quirks, Beatrix's sheer willpower was amazing.

I look forward to reading more of their adventures!!
Meghan
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an eARC for an honest review.

Beatrix can hear books. They whisper to her and when she suddenly finds herself in the Zweeshen, the realm of books, she finds a world in turmoil. Someone is burning book worlds and all the characters with them. Beatrix holds the riddle that may bring peace to the Zweeshen, but in order to save the realm of books, she will first have to confront the monster inside.

Let me start by saying, when this book comes to print, I will be purchasing a copy. What a br
Shannon
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is simply gorgeous from the very beginning. The illustrations and cover are swoon-worthy. The main character, Beatrix, can hear the whispers of books. It's an interesting concept, something I know most book-lovers would greatly enjoy.

"In her library, she sat in the middle of infinity."

Beatrix has a strong magic inside her that she struggles to keep under control, to keep locked away in a cage within herself. Bullied at school and unhappy at home, books are a huge part of Beatrix's lif
Vachara
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I had such an wonderful time reading UNWRITTEN by Alicia J. Novo
The world building is simply beautiful: Pangea, Zweeshen, Eisid Naraid, these places are so of full of colors and life you can project yourself when you read the lines.

Beatrix, our main character, has always been different: she has a ‘monster’ inside of her waiting any chance to manifest itself.
Her grandfather had protected her by cloaking her magic and showing her how to control her inner-beast, but his recent death left her defens
Elizabeth
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC from the author for my honest opinion, so here goes.

I LOVED IT. I cannot wait for book two to come out, or even for this one to release for real so I can have a physical copy. If you like the hate to like/love trope, this one is for you.

To start with the heroine annoyed that absolute crap out of me. She was clueless about what was going on, but flat out refused to listen to certain people. I mean, I get it...she had some serious reasons why not to listen to people,
shecreatesreadsandwritesxo
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received a e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Where do I begin? Going into reading this I had no idea what to expect except a good fantasy filled with magic and a unique, mysterious world. That’s exactly what I got. This book follows a young teen named Beatrix who has a dangerous source of power she tries to keep concealed. Once “the monster” is unleashed, horrible things can happen like taking the life of another. She lives alone with her cruel father and is bullied on schoo
Carly
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an eARC of Unwritten in exchange for an honest review.

Wow — where do I even start? The Zweeshen is a world where all the characters you have read about are alive, and it’s a world that one of my new favorite heroines, Beatrix, finds herself thrown into. Tasked with decoding a letter from her mom to unlock hidden secrets and working against the dark forces of those out to destroy biblioworlds, Beatrix works with her new character friends to learn more about herself and the world she u
Celia McMahon
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for providing me with a free copy to review!

First thing I noticed about this book was the writing. World-building is key in every book, fantasy especially, but this book does not suffer from "blank world" syndrome. Novo has a way with words that has me grasping for her deep dark secrets. Did she sell her soul for writing skills? How can I do the same?

Honestly, I did not know what to expect when I opened this book. The cover promises a fascinating story, but covers can be
Helen&Books
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an eARC in exchanged for an honest review.

I loved, loved, loved this book. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect but the world blew me away. I totally want to move in :-) And Beatrix! I enjoyed her so much as a protagonist. In a lot of the novels I've read lately the main character is often really harsh, which is fun, but it is nice to have a change. And as a bit of bookworm myself, I could relate to Beatrix. I loved how she is challenged: like after always having been rejected in the
Evelyn Burgess
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the publisher and the author for this ebook in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this story so much. I can't even decide what was my favorite part. I loved the world and the characters and I really liked the plot too. I felt like someone went into my wishlist and created the world any booklover will fall for. The Zweeshen is so fun and there are so many details and quirks. I had no problem seeing it all in my mind.
Also, I have serious gooey eyes for William. I liked that he is supp
laur gluchie
Feb 23, 2021 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
I have received a digital Advance Reader’s Copy of this book through NetGalley. This has not affected my rating in any way.
Alicia Novo
Mar 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi everyone, I will not write a review of my own book, even though I love it dearly, but I wanted to share a couple of things.

First, here is the link to the Unwritten Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsW2... in case any of you want to watch it.

Second, we have a preorder offer going on. You can get an exclusive enamel pin of the winged dagger with purchase! For more information check: https://www.alicianovo.com/incentiver...

Also, there will be a few interactive companion experiences unve
Ariel
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Alicia J. Novo for giving me an E-ARC of this book to read & review. I will be striving to make this a spoiler-free review.

Unwritten follows the story of Beatrix Alba. A girl who faces abuse from everywhere in her her life it seems except for the books that whisper to her. When she inherits a box of odd collectibles, and a letter addressed to her from her long-deceased mother, it sets her on a course to The Zweeshen a land made for book characters known as Taelimns.

I found
Rhys
Mar 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Thank you to Netgalley and Intense Publications for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Unwritten took me by surprise. The premise sounded so cool, and I was excited to read it. But I felt going in I was not going to like it as much, but I did!

Unwritten follows Beatrix, who is able to hear books whisper to her. However, books are not the reason she has never fit in; bullied at school and home, she keeps a secret-a power of violence and darkness. When the spell that keeps her hidden fails,
Christine
Feb 16, 2021 rated it liked it
“Readers become part of stories themselves. Everything is connected, and without readers to inspire, stories would lose all meaning.”

Our protagonist, Beatrix, is tricked by Evanzaar, the Librarian and a ruler, who tells her she belongs in the land of Zweeshen. Beatrix, desperate to find answers, follows this man. This lie results in Beatrix finding various clues about her mother's whereabouts in the mystical Zweeshen.

The things I like:
I do love this premise that characters live outside of thei
ʙᴇʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
books about books are my soft spot. I just really love when everything is fantasy and magic and bookish, so adding this to TBR with all the love~
Deekay
Apr 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book basically shows every bookworms dream. Imagine being able to get into a book world and become a character in the said world. Imagine being able to travel to many book worlds. Imagine being able to communicate and meet with other book characters from many books worlds. Imagine being able to meet your favorite characters from your favorite books. Just imagine it all, what a great life that is.

I liked how this book shows the good and bad things of being a character living in a book world.
Jordan Odom
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of receiving this e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

"May the words serve the light." - Unwritten by Alicia Novo

For Alicia's very first novel, I was so surprised by it. And I mean that in the very best way possible. It was fantastic! So creative, beautifully written, original, every page was a journey into this new world where all the stories ever created lived amongst each other.

Every twist and turn had me on my toes. The world was marvelously built and described with suc
rat
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Stories inspire readers. Readers become writers

I received an e-arc through netgalley much thanks ❤️❤️

This book is a huge slap in the face for every writer out there that hasn't finished their WIPs

I mean...a world where book characters exist and go on with their lives?????

What can I say?This book has a cast of likeable and great characters,a great atmosphere,mystery,a complicated yet fascinating story,a plot twist

Speaking of the plot twist,man,I never saw that coming.It definitely gave the "Rein
Zaynah Aboobaker
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to the author for sending me an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Unwritten follows Beatrice Alba, a teen who's never fit in, but finds solace within the pages of novels. Her world is upended when the magic that keeps her concealed fails, and she's thrust into a world where the characters from these novels exist in real life!

I enjoyed the concept of this world, The Zweeshen. It's every bookworm's dream to meet their favourite fictional characters in person! Beatrice's lov
Maplereads
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the author for sending me an early ARC in exchange for an honest review. The world building blew me away, it doesn’t happen often that a YA adult book is able to break through and create a recognizable world as Unwritten did. I can’t recommend this book enough for the diversity and originality of the world. I can’t wait to see what the author will do next :)
Kaeli
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
This story was magical all the way through. It was easy to read and easy to get lost in. I'd say it is a combination of Melissa Albert's "The Hazel Wood" and Erin Morgenstern's "The Starless Sea" for young adults. There are so many different worlds to get lost in all within one book. ...more
Irkalla Ethrinkah
First, thanks Alicia J Novo, Intense Publications, and Netgalley for the ARC.

This was an entertaining adventure, fantasy mystery. In a rarity for teen novels, the romance does not overshadow the main storyline, but is interwoven. I'll be checking out the next in this series.
Kassandra Martinez
OMG I got an advanced copy and i’m so honored to have the experience of reading this wonderful book, the world building was amazing, I want to visit every single place in this book, it’s so intricate in every way that blows my mind because often i get overwhelmed but this one gave me the right amount at the right time, you can see how in a way reflects problems in our world and you enjoy them by the way the author decides to put them , Bea it’s an amazing protagonist I adore her she’s so fierce ...more
Kristina
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have been given an eARC of Unwritten from author in exchange for a honest review. And I am so thankful that I have been chosen to do so.
This book is amazing, and I really loved it. It was a dream come true for any booklover. Its world is the one of all written charactes. Can you imagine how it would be to be a part of world where your favourite characters are casually walking down the street next to you? I know, it sounds great.
Book was intresting and quick to read. It
had amazing world buil

• The Stolen Kingdom
  • Sorrowland
  • Go the Distance
  • Mercurial
  • Magnified (Magnified, #1)
  • Malice (Malice Duology #1)
  • The House Swap
  • All the Murmuring Bones
  • Tools Of A Thief
  • The Ones We're Meant to Find
  • A Trial of Sorcerers (A Trial of Sorcerers, #1)
  • I Put a Spell On You
  • Tell Me When You Feel Something
  • The Shadow in the Glass
  • The Descent of the Drowned (The Descent of the Drowned, #1)
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Norwegian Wood
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
Alicia has a weak spot for happy endings and transformative journeys. She spent her teenage years in Argentina and Europe, speaks several languages and loves to travel.
Always an eclectic book lover, she's never been cured of reading a bit of everything and is as likely to geek out about Mr. Darcy as Dr. Who.
A big-city girl, she now lives in the Midwest, where she occasionally picks apples and pre

News & Interviews

“In her library, she sat in the middle of infinity.” 3 likes
“A guide. She smiled. This felt just like a book. Who hadn't wished for a mentor like heroes got all the time? 'What kind of guide.' Aestrer moved nearer, his hooves making no sound in the spongy forest floor. 'A guide helps you see what you dont. And walks by your side when you're lost.” 0 likes