Start by marking “TUYO (Tuyo, #1)” as Want to Read:
TUYO (Tuyo, #1)

TUYO (Tuyo, #1)

Raised a warrior in the harsh winter country, Ryo inGara has always been willing to die for his family and his tribe. When war erupts against the summer country, the prospect of death in battle seems imminent. But when his warleader leaves Ryo as a sacrifice -- a tuyo -- to die at the hands of their enemies, he faces a fate he never imagined.

Ryo's captor, a lord of the sum
Published May 22nd 2020 by Rachel Neumeier

To ask other readers questions about TUYO, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about TUYO

Start your review of TUYO (Tuyo, #1)
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book literally ticked every box I can think of in an epic fantasy.  Strong character arcs, detailed setting and world building, culture, enemies to friends, family bonds, political motivations, military strategy, magic, and even one super snarky stallion.

Ryo is left as a sacrifice and ends up a captive, guest, translator, of the warlord for which he was left.  Ryo experiences a massive amount of culture shock when he is thrown into life with the Lau.  So much of the narrative is Ryo compari
sigaloenta
A very typical Neumeier novel: extremely enjoyable, comforting, "old-school" fantasy. It's marketed as an adult fantasy novel, but -- except for the length -- it feels more like older juvenile-fiction novels from the 70s and 80s, the oddball obscure books I searched out as kid by browsing row by row on the library shelves and took home in stacks and devoured.

Neumeier's forte is an interesting worldbuilding premise that is entirely secondary to the characters, to the point that the details are o
Debbie Gascoyne
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, fantasy
If Rachel Neumeier chose to self-publish this lovely novel because no publisher wanted it, shame on them. That would be a sad commentary on the state of the publishing industry and its demand for works that push certain popular buttons: Romance!! even better, a love TRIANGLE!!, homo-erotic tension!, dark and bloody!! Present tense! Short chapters! multiple points of view. ETC ETC ETC.

I'm happy to report that with the possible exception of bloody and a wee bit of darkness, this novel contains non
Saphirablue
S.J. Higbee
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Right from the start of this engrossing story, I was pulled right into the middle of Ryo’s plight. He has been left as a sacrifice in the hopes that their enemy will exact his revenge upon the young warrior, allowing the rest of the warband to escape into the wilds of the forest. So we start with Ryo waiting for his fate and wishing he could take back his angry words to his older brother, who’d made the painful decision to leave him. While also hoping that he doesn’t disgrace himself by buckling ...more
Charlotte
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
mesmerizingly immersive. If you love cross-cultural conflict building to the hope of understanding, with magic, this is one for you!
Kim Aippersbach
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryo captured my heart from the moment we meet him kneeling in the snow tied to a stake, and I was unable to put the book down after that. I'm a huge Rachel Neumeier fan, so I was excited about the book and predisposed to like it, but I was surprised by the intensity of my feelings about it. The relationship between Ryo and (view spoiler) just got me where it hurts, I guess. If you're a fan of heroes with integrity, if you like exploring what honour is and the conflict of cha ...more
Julie Davis
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I loved this book so much that I read it during every spare moment. The book description tells just enough without spoiling it.
Dorothy Winsor
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because one of Neumeier’s previous books (The Floating Islands) is one of my favorite books. Neumeier is very good at creating characters who come alive and keep a reader engaged in their story. In this one, Ryo is left as a sacrifice meant to make an enemy leave his people’s warband alone. Instead of killing him, Aras, the enemy’s leader, decided to use Ryo as a translator of language and culture as he tries to defuse a border war between their two peoples. There’s lots of ac ...more
Malorie
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first experience with Neumeier's work, and I am so happy to have come across this book! Tuyo is an adult fantasy novel, and while the length is true to this description, it does have the feel of the classic epic fantasy that I grew up reading. The language, tone, and overall progression of the characters lend itself to more of a NA categorization, but this was not a detractor by any stretch.

Character is the primary focus of this work—we follow Ryo inGara after he is left as a sacrifi
Matthew Galloway
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a very strong character and culture based fantasy with a bit of an old school feel. There are parts that are a bit darker than what I expect from this author, but as a whole it still remains a hopeful novel that believes that the world can be good.

The world itself was fascinating and I certainly hope we get to explore more of it — whether with these characters or new ones. I especially enjoyed the depth used to explore the two conflicting cultures. As mentioned, it gives the novel a mor
Kristi Thompson
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am generally a fan of Neumeier's and this is one of her best - I have already read it twice. Ryo, the first-person viewpoint, is a wonderful character - a loyal and honest (and polite!) young man caught up in a complex war. His voice is perfect, and I loved watching his relationships with the people around him evolve as he navigates an alien and perplexing culture. Some nice twists in the plot as well.

The core of the novel is relationships. Not romance, but between people and between clashing
Joel Dane
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I noticed this book mentioned on Twitter the other day, I wasn't that interested. I haven't been reading much fantasy lately. Also, I got burned by self-published stuff a few times, so I strongly tend toward gatekeeper-approved books.

Still, I needed something to read. And I always enjoy Neumiere's command of the craft. So I figured, what the hell.

Well. This oughtta teach me to prejudge a book. TUYO is a gem. It's beautifully-imagined and utterly satisfying. Neumeier portrays a depth of cu
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love Ryo and Aras.
Interesting to see the split of duties based on gender in the winter lands.

Models how 2 VERY different societies can communicate and interact when there is a high possibility of misunderstanding because of cultural and language differences. And how misunderstandings can still happen and the kind of extra patience and understanding and lack-of-taking-insult that is needed.

Love that idea that your body knows the truth even if your mind has been altered and that the ponies aren't
Kathryn McConaughy
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was so happy when I saw that this had come out! When Ryo is left as a sacrifice for his clan's enemies he expects to be put to death, but his new master has other ideas... Great friendships, politics and strategy, and intriguing cultures form the backdrop for Ryo's struggle to find the right thing to do in an ever-more complicated situation. As usual in RN's books, all the characters seem like real people who are each up to things of their own. While the basic beats of the plot aren't a surpri ...more
Estelle Bowie
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy I gave it a shot!

When I first read the description of this book, I was ambivalent. I don’t usually get into stories that focus on men at war. However, after reading the reviews, I decided to give it a chance. I read it in one day. The world building is phenomenal, and the cultures are fascinating. I really cared about the characters, and was emotionally invested in the story. I hope to read more about this world.
candel
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerfully written

This author can write! A young man is staked out as a sacrifice to save a war party - by his brother - from a supposedly vicious army. The best he can hope for is a quick death. But the leader of the enemy army sees him as valuable - takes his oath rather than torture or kill him. But it gradually becomes clear that his new lord is a sorcerer... Great editing. Such interesting cultures & strong relationships grow from these beginnings.
Sarahz
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great characters, well paced, and a really interesting world. There's a more traditional fantasy villain to defeat, but outside of that a lot of the plot resolves around people from very different cultures trying to understand each other. There are some minor aspects of the ending that turn out a little too well to be entirely plausible, given the culture that's been established, but I don't mind some optimism in my reading right now :) Overall a really interesting read, and pretty different fro ...more
scarlettraces
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5
Jenny Schwartz
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Great coming of age fantasy novel with clash of cultures and magic.
Hess
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I savored this one

There are some books you rush through but this is not one. I look forward to more in this series
Garrett Olinde
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting if a bit talky at times. I hope the sequel is not delayed long.
Claire
rose ferry
Jul 04, 2020
Maria
Oct 03, 2020

• The Physicians of Vilnoc (Penric and Desdemona, #8)
  • Storm Forged (Death Before Dragons #6)
  • False Security (Death Before Dragons #5)
  • The House That Walked Between Worlds (Uncertain Sanctuary Book 1)
  • A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking
  • Masquerade in Lodi (Penric & Desdemona)
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales #1)
  • The Wizard's Butler
  • Beach Read
  • Elven Doom (Death Before Dragons, #4)
  • Emergency Skin
  • Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1)
  • The Lasaran (Aldebarian Alliance, #1)
  • Mexican Gothic
  • Mist and Magic (Death Before Dragons #0.5)
  • The Lord of Stariel (Stariel, #1)
  • Three Charms for Murder (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #5)
Rachel Neumeier started writing fiction to relax when she was a graduate student and needed a hobby unrelated to her research. Prior to selling her first fantasy novel, she had published only a few articles in venues such as The American Journal of Botany. However, finding that her interests did not lie in research, Rachel left academia and began to let her hobbies take over her life instead.

She n