Start by marking “Blue Fingers: A Ninja's Tale” as Want to Read:
Blue Fingers: A Ninja's Tale

Blue Fingers: A Ninja's Tale

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  458 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
The power and prowess of ninja never seem to lose their appeal to young readers, especially boys. Blue Fingers, a suspenseful, action-packed coming-of-age story set in feudal Japan, offers an up-close look at this noble, fierce way of life.
Through an odd twist of fate, a stubborn twelve-year-old boy named Koji is kidnapped by a secret ninja clan and taken to its hidden cam
Published March 22nd 2004 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Blue Fingers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Fingers

Sully
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, favs
I love it beacuse I like ninjas.A farm boy gets lost in the woods after he ran away from his training to be a dye maker and is captured by ninjas they train him to becum a ninja.After his training samurai burn down his old villge and his father died he later seeks his revenge
Bethany Huang
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Anakin Paez
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book involved a smooth story line that the readers can imagine what the main character went through to. This book involved a character named Koji who was sent away to be an apprentice, but escaping the apprentice life he ran away and hid in the forbidden forest where ninja kidnapped him and made him become one of them, he would then be put through a physical and emotional journey that only a down to earth person would understand. This book shows that anything is possible through determinati ...more
Liora
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a book that I read in my search for books that my 13 year old reluctant reader son might like. It is set in 16th century Japan at a time when the Samurai clans ruled the country. Twelve year old Koji, one of twin boys in a poor peasant family, is captured by a secretive Ninja clan who live in the remote mountains. His life is changed as he is forced to participate in mysterious ninja training. Slowly, he turns from his clumsy and lazy ways, and also mistrust and thoughts of escape, to on ...more
Sylvia
Aug 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Koji sangat tidak beruntung. Dia anak kembar dan di jaman feodal Jepang saat itu anak kembar dianggap pembawa sial. Koji dan Taro, meskipun identik, namun mereka sangat berbeda. Taro dengan mudah melakukan apa yang dilakukan Koji dengan lebih baik.

Suatu hari Koji diperintahkan ayahnya untuk pergi, karena mereka tak ingin ketahuan memiliki anak kembar. Koji disuruh pergi ke gunung. Tapi Koji menolak. Namun karena paksaan ayahnya, akhirnya Koji pergi juga.

Di hutan menuju gunung, Koji bertemu denga
Katie Sorensen
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-chapter
Valerie L
Reading about Ninjas and Samuris in old Japan was very fun. The author tells a great story and teaches you without a lesosn. I enjoyed learning a bit more of the history and the difference between the two. Koji is 12, a twin, and given a chance of a lifetime as an apprentice to a dye maker. Yet, he only discovers his real potential when he runs away and is lost in the bamboo mountain of iga. Kidnapped, forced to accept a new life, Koji begins to learn what he wants, who he is, and who he can bec ...more
Jasmine P
Apr 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people that love a good ninja book and culture
Shelves: greatbooks
this is such a good book it's funny and it teaches you a lot of how the society was way back then some of the stuff you read is really weird like how they dislcoate their joints and their bones it's a little odd but it really is good you fall in love with the main character Koji. You see him go from a farm boy to a great ninja and how he goes from being a koji to being a blue fingers. its such a great story that i recomment

from this book i learnedthat you should not compare yourself to others it
Miss Amanda
gr 5-9 244 pgs

1545, Japan. 12 year old Koji doesn't understand why his parents insisted he take credit after his twin brother Taro saves the life of a rich dye merchant. As a dye merchant's apprentice, Koji is miserable and just wants to go home. Koji is sent home in disgrace, but cannot face his family and tell him he failed. When he heads off into the woods, he becomes lost. Found by a ninja boy, Koji is taken to their camp and held prisoner. Unable to return home, Koji must decide whether or
DAL R A
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I learned that those metal disc that have sharp things that stick out are called shuriken. I thought this book was exciting. I didn't know anything about ninja's before I read this book. I liked the glossary in the back of the book that explained everything I didn't know. The main character became strong and he was good. Spider teased Koji just like I tease my sister, but he really cared about him. I thought this was better than the 2nd Harry Potter.
Ms. Heres
Koji never seems to do anything right while his twin brother can do no wrong. After messing up an opportunity to help his family, Koji runs away and becomes lost in the woods. His worst fear is realized when he is kidnapped by ninjas! What will they do to him? Will he ever see his family again?
During the time of Japanese Samurai, ninjas are feared because they are so secretive...and no one thinks they can be trusted.
Jenny
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, historical
Koji is so homesick as a dye maker's apprentice he is sent home in shame. He runs away into the forest and is captured by a ninja clan. He must train in their ways, but can't return to his family farm. He is angry until the samurai warlord burned his village and killed his father. Now Koji must help the ninja and earn his new name.
Moira
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-himself
Finnian's review at 7 (though we read it some time ago)

This was the best Ninja book! It wasn't just facts about ninjas, though, it was a story about a boy who becomes a ninja. The ninjas lived in secret and used to be poor farmers, but they wanted to defend people from the Samurai lords who are rich and lazy and greedy.

I think about this book a lot when I'm pretending to be a ninja.
Bethany
Some of the best books are those that appeal to a wide range of readers. It's always a good sign when I can enjoy the same book that my 12-year-old brother does!

That being said, this is a nice book that has adventure, historical fiction, and, above all, ninjas!
Melissa
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love reading about a topic that I know nothing about. All that I know about ninjas can be found on a lego ninjago box. I read this to see if it was something Paul might like, and I think he will in another couple of years.
Richard Staines
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a young persons book...well, I loved it. The titbits of Japanese. The plot, the ninja lifestyle, all wonderfully enjoyable.

We bought it for our kids but I think we enjoyed it more than they did.
Levi
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! I hade so much fun reading it. It was the perfect twist between historical fiction and fary tale. Anybody who likes historical fiction if you can get your hands on this book do it!!! Read it!!!
Ayanesea
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book a couple of years ago and found it to be quite an interesting take on ninja's. I'm not sure it's my favorite for its catagory but I do like it. All the different things that happen during the main story makes it hard to abandon.
Oakley.J
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book it has tons of adventure and courage. Also it talks about his family coming together.I love this book and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes ninjas and adventure books.
Mandy
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this in my search for good books for boys, and I think it will be right up their ally. It was interesting to learn more about Ninja. The book seems to be well-researched with a bibliography in the back. I did find some of the plot development to be a bit over-simplified.
Joe
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not exactly my favorite young adult novel, but my third graders absolutely love it. Each day I read a chapter aloud and without fail I'm greeted with genuine pleas to continue at the end of each chapter. Definitely a fan favorite amongst 8-9 year olds.
Joy Hwang
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was alright.... Although I started to want to get over with the book once Koji got his ninja name.
Ayla
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
i would recommend this kind of ninja book to younger kids. it has great morals and was somewhat childish on the fighting moves since ninja's are suppossed to be pretty much asian assasins.
Meghan
Oct 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, childrens
Read this for a summer reading program in elementary school and I really liked it. It was fun and clever and kept young me very entertained.
Tyler
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book about ninjas and Japan in the older days. It tells about conflicts with getting caught up in different groups of people. Some may be good for you and some may be bad.
Bela Gandhi
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Kind of slow but gets better at the end
Kaiya Edwards
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite books!
Vanessa
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute story. The author did a great job.
Nicole King
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. Good for people who are interested in ninjas.
Logan Hall
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
if you like a good ninja story this book is for you.it tells a story about a young ninja who gets kidnapped by a boy named spider
  • The Demon in the Teahouse (Samurai Detective, #2)
  • Moonshadow: Rise of the Ninja (Moonshadow, #1)
  • Gratefully Yours
  • Sisters of the Sword (Sisters of the Sword, #1)
  • Annie Oakley: Young Markswoman
  • The Dreamwalker's Child
  • Walk Across the Sea
  • The Stone Goddess
  • Fog Magic
  • Manga Shakespeare: Much Ado about Nothing
  • Chu Ju's House
  • Maggie's Door (Nory Ryan #2)
  • Blood Ninja (Blood Ninja, #1)
  • Dull Boy
  • The Legend of the King (The Squire's Tales, #10)
  • Greater Than Angels
  • Run Away Home
  • The Collected Works of G.K. Chesterton Volume 01: Heretics, Orthodoxy, the Blatchford Controversies (Collected Works of G. K. Chesterton)
Returning to her family's home in Chicago after living in Asia for twelve years, former attorney Cheryl Aylward Whitesel decided to share what she learned of Asian culture and history with American children.

Source: Cheryl Aylward Whitesel Biography - Personal, Addresses, Career, Member, Honors Awards, Writings, Sidelights
More about Cheryl Aylward Whitesel...
“Koji's mouth twitched in disgust. "Who are you people?" he asked, as he had before. "You're not..." But he didn't even dare say that dangerous word-- ninja.” 5 likes
“For Koji, the toughest training exercise was mudo, when for hours he must remain still in whatever position First Master chose. He kept a bit of cloth in his mouth so that even his breath would be deadened. First Master seemed to know when Koji's cramped muscles were screaming in silent agony. Then the training master would lean close and whisper in the boy's ear, "A ninja is a warrior-mystic. He is strong. He knows. He dares. He is silent." Somehow, the four directives gave Koji the courage to persist.” 0 likes