Start by marking “Love Your Life” as Want to Read:
Love Your Life

Love Your Life

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  20,891 ratings  ·  2,697 reviews
14 hours, 45 minutes

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of I Owe You One, an utterly delightful novel about a young woman who ditches her dating app for a writer's retreat in Italy—only to find that real love comes with its own filters.

Call Ava romantic, but she thinks love should be found in the real world, not on apps that filter men by height, job, or astrolog
Published October 27th 2020 by Dial Press

To ask other readers questions about Love Your Life, please sign up.
Julie Ounanian Me too, when I was younger. Now at 71 I like reading about more mature women, mysteries or something with a little history.

·  20,891 ratings  ·  2,697 reviews

Start your review of Love Your Life
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Yes! This is hilarious, humorous, entertaining, heartwarming! This is a real winner!

I’m a big fan of author’s works and her last two books “ I owe you one” and “ Surprise me” were a little disappointing for me. ( Actually since I’ve read “ I’ve got your name”, I haven’t found any of her books so much adorable. I truly missed her optimistic, clumsy but likable heroines and smart,funny, feel good stories like first books of Shopaholic series and “ Can you keep a secret”, “Twenties girl”)

But here
Sheyla ✎
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it

Love Your Life or Ava-Land and Matt-Land was quite an entertaining and sweet novel. The end of the book left me with a big smile on my face.

Yet, the beginning of the book didn’t do it for me. I thought "oh no, this is an insta-love story" which is my least favorite. How wrong was I? Very. I ended up liking it quite a bit more than I thought.

Most surprisingly was that I liked all the main character's friends too. There is Nell who has some serious health issues but she doesn't play the martyr
Irena BookDustMagic
Dec 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 2,5

Ever since I started reading for pleasure, I consider Sophie Kinsella one of my favourite authors. After all, her book (Shopaholic) is the one that showed me how fun reading can be.

Today, Kinsella is still on top (somewhat because I'm nostalgic, but also because her writing style is simply amazing), even though I don't think Love Your Life was a masterpiece I hoped it would be.

I still had lots of fun while reading it, and laughed at some scenes, but I really disliked the charac
Tina
This is a romance/contemporary book. I have read mixed reviews about this book, and I was getting scared to read this book because I really have been looking forward to this book. I have to say I loved this book so much. The beginning was a little slow and I really did not love how fast the characters fell in love, but then the book token a 180 turn. This book is so different then most chick-lit or women's fiction. This book had a real feel after the first a little bit. I have to say the charact ...more
Jen
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed out loud at so many parts and I also got teary and warmhearted at others (I am sappy though..) and I loved it!!! 4.5⭐ rounded up to 5 just because I needed this fun, couldn't put down read and it made me feel all the things I wanted it to💖

To note, I did listen to the audiobook and loved the narrator, Fiona Hardingham, she gave both Ava and Matt the perfect voices and I was done this in one day! I am mentioning this because in my post finishing joy, I went to see what others had to say
Katie B
I am a big Sophie Kinsella fan and have read the majority of her books. I actually prefer her standalone novels over the Shopaholic series. So of course I was excited to get my hands on a copy of this book. Unfortunately I wouldn't place this one among my favorites but everything came together quite nicely by the end so at least I finished it on a positive note.

Ava lives in London, and signs up for a remote writers' retreat in Italy. Attendees are encouraged to not share their real names with th
Sheena
Oct 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, romance
Love your life by Sophie Kinsella made me absolutely hate my life every time I had to pick this book up. This was my first novel of hers and quite possibly my last. Ava goes to Italy for a writing retreat to help inspire finishing her novel. She meets a man on this retreat and they instantly fall in love and she basically blows off her expensive writing course. The love was so cheesy, unrealistic, and my eyes rolled so hard that my eyes almost got stuck that way. The pacing was extremely fast in ...more
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Love Your Life is an entertaining book. It is a typical Sophie Kinsella book with a cute story line, fun characters, romance, and laughs. Sophie Kinsella's books always make me happy and this is no exception. Love Your Life is a perfect book for something lighter during 2020.

I highly recommend Love Your Life to all Sophie Kinsella fans and anyone looking for a cute fun story. Anyone looking for a happy story Love Your Life is for you. This book will make you laugh and you will feel like the char
Terrie Robinson
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love Rom-Com's
Recommended to Terrie by: Goodreads Giveaways
"Love Your Life" by Sophie Kinsella was a cute-quirky-fun read!

Ava, wanting to finish that novel she's been working on for a bit too long, goes to a writer's retreat at a monastery in Italy where the participants are not allowed to know each other's real name or identity. The focus, after all is on writing, not who you are or what you have done, right? Ava takes the name of Aria and "cute guy" calls himself Dutch! Aria and Dutch definitely notice each other and ditch class for an afternoon at th
Susanne  Strong
Sappy, Sweet, and Funny too!

After meeting at a writer's retreat under fake names, “Aria” and “Dutch” (Ava and Matt) fall head over heels for each other, even though they aren’t able to divulge anything about their true selves.

Their whirlwind romance sweeps both of them away, faster than a ride down a roller coaster, that is until they head back into the real world as Ava and Matt and realize they don’t actually have anything in common.

Is it even remotely possible that Ava and Matt’s love story
Ashley Dang
Jul 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was a hot mess of a book and sadly it did not work for me. Initially I was hooked by the premise and I had really liked a lot of Sophie Kinsella's other works, so I thought that this would be right up my ally, but oh boy how wrong I was. Reading this was like watching a reality tv show where two people hook up and then immediately date, aka: red flags everywhere. Barely spending a week together, they both decide they love each other without knowing anything about the other person. Once they ...more
Eva 🌻
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
1.5 ⭐️

I want to start this off by saying I am a huge Sophie Kinsella fan. I own and love all of her books, that's why I was beyond excited when I received this ARC, especially since Ava is my name too (spelt differently, ha)! So it greatly disappoints me to say I could barely make it through this book, I strongly disliked every single character. Everything about this book felt amateurish and if Kinsella hadn't written it, I would've dropped out very early on.

Ava, a writer who strongly believes
Theresa Alan
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

One of my common complaints with romances and women’s fiction with romantic elements (this novel is the latter), is that I don’t fall in love with the hero. In this book, I liked the hero just fine, but found the heroine insufferable. She’s relentlessly upbeat, and it got exhausting. She keeps trying to ignore all the ways she and Matt aren’t actually compatible, and her mantra is essentially, “Stay positive! Look at it this way and not the way it actually is!”

Ava and Matt meet at a writing retr
Lacey
Sep 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Despite being more predictable than a virgin's period, Love Your Life was, at its core, a pretty fuckin' hilarious and über cute read. Without a doubt, it was a step up from Sophie Kinsella's last novel, I Owe You One, which was uncharacteristically lacking the signature spark that I've come to expect from her books. Thankfully, with the publication of Love Your Life (which I'd argue is her funniest book yet), it would seem that Ms. Kinsella has reclaimed her mojo and laid the fears to rest that ...more
Caitlin Reads
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have always loved Sophie Kinsella’s books! Can You Keep A Secret and I’ve Got Your Number are two of my favorite books. However, I had felt it hard to connect with her last couple books and was questioning whether she would remain an auto-read author for me. I am happy to see Love Your Life redeemed her for me and I really enjoyed the book. It features romantic and whimsical Ava who is an aspiring writer that attends a writing retreat in Italy where you have to call everyone by an alias. Ava w ...more
Christina
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I always love Sophie Kinsella’s warmth and sense of humor, and both are on full display in this sweet book. I love Kinsella, so I didn’t read the blurb and just dove in, which I think is a good way to go with this book because it doesn’t take the expected chick-lit path. In the beginning, our heroine is at a writer’s retreat in Italy where no one gives their real name. She goes by “Aria” and meets a gorgeous man named “Dutch.” They have a whirlwind romance but come to an agreement not to ask eac ...more
Raquel Silva
Nov 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF. I am so upset right now. I am a big kinsella fan. I’ve been looking forward to this book as a 2020 bright light. However, I just can’t finish because Ava was just too annoying for me to continue to read. Dutch went from fun to Dull Matt and I don’t blame the guy since he had to deal with Ava. This was just another reason why 2020 sucks.
Kirsty
Sep 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Special thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review

I really wanted to like this book. The premise is fun - a woman meets a man on an anonymous writing retreat, they fall in love without knowing the personal baggage they bring to the table, and then they try to make it work outside of the writing retreat. Fun, right? But no. Not fun.

I just truly didn't like the main characters at all. There was no chemistry between them. They weren't comp
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

No one is more surprised than me when it comes to the fact that I rated this book 2.5 stars. Sophie Kinsella is historically one of my favourite authors but this book....was not a favourite.

The story started out so promising and I really was loving it, until the characters returned from Italy. Even at that point, I started getting an inkling that the tides were turning for my love of the novel when there was such quick declarations of love from the characters.

When the main characters
Antonella
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, audiobook
Sophie Kinsella has written some of my favorite chick-lit books ;
Can You Keep a Secret?
The Undomestic Goddess
I've Got Your Number

this got that delightful feel of it & humor that I appreciate in her books
I love the premise of this book...two people meet on holiday, being their best self & having a great time..of course when they return to real life all the drama ensues because this stranger doesn't look so perfect anymore...
the ratio of fiction and realism was just perfect..
completely enjoyabl
Lucy
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, rom-com
Oh how I loved learning about Ava-land and Matt-land 💕. This is a funny and entertaining story with all the happy feels. It's a story about love, friendship, and compromise. A story about being brave enough to do what you love and standing up for yourself.

I've been a fan of Sophie Kinsella's books for years, so I always look forward to reading her latest book. I highly recommend this one to anyone looking for a fun and quirky love story. I hope you'll be entertained by Ava, Matt, and their eclec
Berit☀️✨
fun! Feel good! Fab! Sophie Kinsella is One of my favorite authors and never before has a year needed a SK book like 2020! Ava has had it, so she decides to do something for herself and heads to a writers retreat in Italy. At The retreat you are to forget about everything you left behind - you can’t talk about your past, you don’t even use your real name. while at the retreat Eva( going by the name aria) meets a boy who is going by the name Dutch. Aria and Dutch have an instant connection and fa ...more
Dianne
Sep 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
The premise of this book sounds interesting. It sounds like it should be an excellent relaxing pop-corn read, something that you breeze through quickly. Not for me. I was wondering why when I was reading this that my stomach was burning and in knots, I had a stress headache, and I felt depressed -now that I've finished this ARC, I know why.

It is said that a person's brain reaches its adult growth stage at 25. Now I don't know if that is true or not, but with these two characters, I would have t
Wendy W.
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love anything and everything by Sophie Kinsella, I am a big fan of her Shopaholic series and in my opinion, her books just get better and better, and her newest book, Love Your Life, does not disappoint.

My Review:
I sure enjoyed this book. Ava and Matt are away from home, with time on their hands, and romance blossoms. Then, comes the reality of back home, and life falls apart. The entire book is just delightful to read.

These characters are fun! And not only Matt and Ava, but Ava’s and Matt’
Rachel
Jan 05, 2021 rated it liked it
I had such high hopes for this one, and I liked the beginning a lot and found it hilarious. But then Ava and Matt’s terrible personalities quickly ruined everything. Even Ava’s dog is awful. How on earth do you make a beagle unlikeable? That part offends me the most, because normally protagonists with dogs are the best. Dogs can save a story and animals are often my favorite part of a book.
My second issue was the plot. For this genre you do have to suspend disbelief, but every component was bey
Kat
Jun 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-3
Ava goes to a writer’s retreat in Italy where she’s not allowed to reveal anything about herself. Not her name, where she’s from or her profession. Everyone takes on a fake name for the retreat. At the retreat, she meets “Dutch” and they have a passionate fling. I was LOLing so hard at some of the writing samples, especially the scene after they both got amorous and it snuck its way into their scene. SO FUNNY. When it’s time to go, they’re both seeing hearts and little Disney birds flying overhe ...more
Andrea Pole
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Love Your Life by Sophie Kinsella is another fun, lighthearted romp from the author of the beloved Shopaholic series, of which I am a huge fan. Ms Kinsella and I must share a similarly quirky sense of humour because I always find myself laughing out loud at many of the antics of her hapless heroines. This one will certainly make you smile as you embark on Ava's rocky road to romance.

Ava is on a writers' retreat in Italy when she meets 'Dutch', a pseudonym given the class rules of remaining anony
Judy
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've read several of Sophie Kinsella's books now, just because they are so fun! This one was fun too. I love her upbeat, contemporary writing style and her characters are quirky, amusing and entertaining. The main character in this one is Ava who has gone on a writing retreat in a monastery in Italy. At the retreat she meets a dreamy guy, but she doesn't know anything about him because at the retreat everyone uses a fictitious name and isn't supposed to reveal anything about their real life. 'Ar ...more
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-ebooks
4.5/ 5 stars

Sophie Kinsella is one of my favorite authors. I'm pretty sure that I've read every book that she has written. So I was beyond excited to read her newest book, Love Your Life.

This book is Chick Lit and takes place in London and Italy. The narrator is Ava (1st person POV).

Ava is quirky and funny and I loved her right from the start. She has a dog named Harold and best girlfriends named Nell, Maud and Sarika.

The book begins with Ava going on a writing retreat. I loved this part of the
Apoorva
Aug 13, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mng-shelf
I'm one of those who love chick lit. Plus I love this author. So, my fingers automatically added this one and they don't listen to my brain that says we've grown past the 15 year old who swoons over British girls falling for American guys (mostly).

And here you've seen the epic example of body betraying mind syndrome. No need to look for them in idiotic books.

• How to Be an Antiracist
  • The Last House Guest
  • Restore Me (Shatter Me, #4)
  • Home Before Dark
  • Carry: A Memoir of Survival on Stolen Land
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • All Adults Here
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Don't Hold My Head Down
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • Mexican Gothic
  • The Shadows
See top shelves…
Sophie Kinsella has sold over 40 million copies of her books in more than 60 countries, and she has been translated into over 40 languages.

Sophie Kinsella first hit the UK bestseller lists in September 2000 with her first novel in the Shopaholic series – The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic (also published as Confessions of a Shopaholic). The book’s heroine, Becky Bloomwood – a fun and feisty fin

Articles featuring this book

“One of my major rules of life is: You should listen to your body. Your body is wise. Your body knows.” 2 likes
“I look at the evidence. There’s a quote I like. ‘When the facts change, I change my mind.’ ” 0 likes