Start by marking “How to Get Ideas” as Want to Read:
How to Get Ideas

How to Get Ideas

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,220 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Written by Jack Foster, a creative director for various advertising agencies with more than 40 years experience, How to Get Ideas (over 90,000 copies sold and translated into 15 languages) is a fun, accessible, and practical guide that takes the mystery and confusion out of developing new ideas.
Published June 1st 2007 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published September 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Ideas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Ideas

Sebah Al-Ali
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Inspiring. Enjoyable. I really wished there were more chapters/pages to read.

It's THE book to read when you feel demotivated or are looking for a new start.

I LEARNED:
Quoting Young, to generate creative ideas:
1. "Gather its raw materials"
2. "masticate those materials.”
3. "You drop the whole subject and put the problem out of your mind as completely as you can"
4. "Out of nowhere the idea will appear"
5. "“take your little newborn idea out into the world of reality" and watch it grow

Quo
Rosie Nguyễn
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
An easy to read, funny, and good book. Highly recommended for those whose work needs creativity.

It took Jack Foster 3 years to finish this book. I think it's worth it. Being a writer continuously seeking for new ideas, I have applied some of the techniques in this book through my writing unconsciously. But this book collects all the methods to find new ideas systematically, with witty quotes and stories, it reminds all the creators that: ideas are like love, they are all around. All we need to
Anh Ngọc Vũ
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anh Ngọc by: Phương Phạm
Từ tiêu đề đã khiến cho người đọc tò mò. Tại sao một nửa của 13 lại là 8? Đó chính là vẻ đẹp và nét hấp dẫn khó cưỡng của ý tưởng sáng tạo khi được cơi nới khỏi những bó buộc của nguyên tắc.
Cuốn sách bàn về bản chất của ý tưởng, chúng là kết tinh của những liên kết từ những ý tưởng và concept khác nhau trong cuộc sống. Tìm ra ý tưởng chính là hành trình tìm ra mối liên kết vô hình và hữu hình đó.
5 điều quan trọng nhất để tìm ra ý tưởng:
- Biết cách đặt ra câu hỏi: đừng đặt những câu hỏi vô ích, h
Amna
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أملك هذا الكتاب منذ مدة طويلة ولا أدري حقا لم أجلت قراءته حتى هذه اللحظة، ربما لخشيتي أن تكون الترجمة دون المستوى وذلك لمروري بتجربة سابقة سيئة لقراءة كتاب من نفس النوعية أصابتني ترجمته المريعة بعقدة زالت أخيرا بعد قراءتي لهذا الكتاب.

الكتاب رائع بكل المقاييس .. أفكاره سلسة ومرتبة وأسلوبه شائق .. مفيد وملهم جدا .. خرجت منه بأفكار واقتباسات ومعرفة لا بأس بها .. وبحماس إضافي لالتقاط تلك الأفكار الطائرة التي تحوم حولنا في كل وقت .. الترجمة جاءت جيدة وأوصلت المضمون ببساطة ويسر وبدون فذلكة ..
أسجل إعجا

لتخرج بفكرة جديدة ؟؟!!!

لا تفوتوا فرصة قرائته

Nitish
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tell me why do people often read Self Help when they can read this book.
رباح حسن
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جميل وسهل وممتلئ بالافكار الرائعة لا يستغرق اكثر من جلستين لقراءته
وهو اضافة جديدة لكل قارئ
انصح بقراءته
Ryan Lackey
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good, short book on the creative process, from an advertising person (although the examples as well as applicability are much broader). Essentially condenses the knowledge from a lot of other books and sources, and uses quotes liberally throughout to reference other work. Volume of ideas, use of constraints while avoiding being constrained, and the flow of the creative process are all described.
Çağatay
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dusunebildigimiz kadar variz. ve dusunme eylemini gerceklestirmek icin, cogunlukla kafamizda bir fikir olmasi gerekir. Fikirsiz bir zihin benzinsiz arabaya benzer. Yazar kitabinda "alin size fikir" diye bir sey vaadetmiyor. Fikir edinme konusunda adilmasi gereken adimlari bir bir siraliyor. Bu adimlar hayat boyu uygulanirsa, bireyin etrafinda olup biten olaylara bakis acisinin degisecegi asikar.
Sessiz olun ve odanizin kapisini kapatin, aradiginiz fikir havada ucusuyor, onu illa yakalayacaksiniz
Quỳnh Anh
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. It's amazing how lessons come into your mind naturally. The author easily captures readers with his wisdom, experience and sense of humor. My God! Just simply "To do is to be" and "To be is to do" become "Do be do be do" in Frank Sinatra's song =)) I can't help laughing but at the same time, I realize the power of creative combination. Ideas doesn't have to be big and serious. They are all around and we just have to pay attention. Great content written in a few words. Inspiring! ...more
Ransom
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: about-writing
I'm glad I chose to practice my speed-reading on this book. It's interesting, and if someone has a lot of trouble getting ideas it might be worth looking into.

I enjoyed the quotes to begin each chapter, but it seemed almost like it was too drawn out with examples. The author does well illustrating his points, but I could have gotten most of the information from his chapters and headings without reading.
Kony
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
An amusing little manual about the creative process. Written in a warm, funny, no-nonsense, encouraging tone.

Pulls examples and anecdotes from a rich variety of fields, ranging from product design to evolutionary biology to social reform movements. Opens each chapter with pithy quotes from witty minds. Distills the elements of creative thinking into simple steps that anyone can apply.

Good for restoring faith in your own imagination and motivating you to keep plugging away at projects.
Hoang Anh Tran
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nothing in the World
Takes the Place of Persistence

Talent doesn’t—
nothing is more common than
unsuccessful men with talent.
Wealth doesn’t—
the born-rich who die poor are legion.
Genius doesn’t—
unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education doesn’t—
the world is full of educated derelicts.
Luck doesn’t—
her fickleness has toppled kings.

Persistence and Determination
Alone Are Omnipotent
Kathrynn
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and felt it had some great ideas. Easy to read and comprehend and the author and a nice sense of humor.
The table of contents:
14. Put the idea into action
Hân
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lent
Hai tuần chăm cậu ốm ở BV Nhiệt đới, trưa nào cũng đọc cuốn này từ 12h40 đến 13h40. Đọc thật chậm, hiểu thật sâu. Một nửa của 13 là 8. Một nửa của tớ là cậu. Đơn giản vậy thôi.
غيث حسن
ممتع
WAAD AL SHIDDI
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
ممتع.. بسيط.. واحيانا أشعر ان يتحدث إلي مباشرة ..
امثلة مختلفة وطريق بسيطة..

احببته وقرأته باستمتاع :)
Fayafi M
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أحب الكتب الذكية والكتاب الأذكياء. الترجمة مرة كويسة تخوفت منها في البداية.
Baraa Barakat
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب رائع جدا وبسيط فيه قصص رائعة .......♥♥♥
An Võ
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many of us study in college/ university and have basic knowledge and skills. Then, what makes us stand out from everyone else? That's idea. And Jack Foster told us how to get ideas.
***** 5 STEPS TO GET IDEAS *****
11. Use right questions. --> Aware of the ideas.
12. More information --> more ideas.
13. Be patient. The best way to get an idea is to get ideas.
14. If you feel stuck, forget it for a while. And come back later.
15. Do it right away. Set deadlines. List what to do. Delete reaso
Cory
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is a review on the back of this book that reads "If I had money enough to buy only one book, it would be HOW TO GET IDEAS." I wasn't even done with the book before I realized I couldn't disagree (though I'm grateful I've endured no such restriction).

I think young people could be much better prepared for success if this was mandatory high school freshman reading--for everybody, not just creatives; everyone has problems to solve. My children will read this book and I will reread it.

There wa
Khoản Huỳnh
Ấy chà... Nghe nói cuốn này là cẩm nang gối đầu giường của ai muốn hoạt động trong lĩnh vực liên quan đến ý tưởng... Ầy, nói chung là cũng không có ý muốn đọc cuốn này lắm nhưng mà chiều thi trong khi chẳng có chữ nào trong đầu nên cũng lười học, vậy là lấy sách ra đọc... Cuốn này phải nói sao nhỉ? Nói thật là mình thấy nó giống như là đọc mấy câu truyện cười thôi, mới đọc thì tưởng như hay ho lắm nhưng ngẫm lại chẳng thấy có chút ý nghĩa gì cả... Hay là có lẽ mình vẫn chưa đủ trình để đọc hiểu ...more
Nazareth Sanchez Vega
Soy estudiante de primer año de Publicidad y Multimedia, este libro no sólo es uno de los primeros que leo en relación a mi carrera (Usualmente sólo leo novelas, poesía y biografías) Sino también el primer libro que me impulsa a hacer cosas reales en el momento de la lectura.
Ofrece un millón de consejos y te propone cada tres líneas HACER ALGO.
Se lee muy rápido, pero estoy segura que tardaré mucho en quitármelo de la cabeza ...si es que alguna vez puedo.
John Britto
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How to get Ideas by Jack Foster. It'a book with full of real stories/illustrations on whatever insight the author wanna convey to the world through this book.
It contains about 15 short lessons I would say, It's just 15 key points to get a rich idea to conceive a solution to great problem. I really liked the three stories whatever he said for three types of thinking vertical thinking, lateral thinking, logical thinking.
overall it was a good book.
Ned
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read_again
Great little book that outlines some of the steps to getting in the mode of generating ideas. The principles do seem simple and thinking back to my childhood they were all there thus having some crazy ideas non stop. When people grow up they lose touch with this side of them and thus the amount of ideas decrease. The book gives you the framework to start operating in and if nothing worse you will enjoy your day more as there will be more fun.
Mickes
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Helt OK bok och framför allt om man vill lära sig tänka kreativt. Många bra exempel, humoristisk skriven, fylld med roliga citat och med massor av personliga anekdoter. Men samtidigt ingen bok jag numera skulle rekommendera någon annan att läsa. Inte för att den är dålig utan för att det helt enkelt finns så många andra bra att läsa före. Men gillar du Edward de Bonos tankar och Henrik Fexeus och bröderna Häréns kreativitets tänkande och vill ha något lättläst att läsa passar den bra.
Trần Chi
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Với phương châm sáng tạo không phải do bẩm sinh, tác giả hướng dẫn người đọc cách tư duy và đánh giá về một vấn đề, một sự vật. Luôn giữ đầu óc mở rộng hết mức có thể, tư duy vượt khỏi các rào cản thông thường, khi đó bạn sẽ biết tại sao “một nửa của 13 là 8”.
Stamen Stoev
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Изключително приятно четиво. Вдъхновяващо и забавно. Чете се със скоростта на светлината!
Đậu Hồng
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuốn sách hay lắm luôn đặc biệt là với những ai đang đi tìm nguồn cảm hứng sáng tạo thì đừng có bỏ qua, phí lắm nhé!
مساعدة 1 4 Sep 16, 2013 06:09AM
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
  • A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
  • Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain
  • Idea Index
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More, and Achieve Success in Business
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • Take Back Your Life!: Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 to Get Organized and Stay Organized
  • Getting the Words Right
  • The Accidental Creative: How to Be Brilliant at a Moment's Notice
  • Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking
  • The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen
  • Word Hero: A Fiendishly Clever Guide to Crafting the Lines that Get Laughs, Go Viral, and Live Forever
  • The Secrets of Facilitation: The S.M.A.R.T. Guide to Getting Results with Groups
  • Telling Ain't Training
  •  أفضل الخطط العفوية
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • The Book of Doing: Everyday Activities to Unlock Your Creativity and Joy
Jack Foster spent 35 years working in the creative departments of major advertising agencies; the first ten as a writer, the last 25 as a creative director. He won dozens of advertising awards, including being named "Creative Person of the Year" by the Los Angeles Creative Club.
More about Jack Foster...
“Rules are a great way to get ideas. All you have to do is break them.” 14 likes
“Henry Ford agreed: “Whether you think you can or can’t, you’re right.” 0 likes