Start by marking “Five Steps Ahead (Dark Shadows, #1)” as Want to Read:
Five Steps Ahead (Dark Shadows, #1)

Five Steps Ahead

(Dark Shadows #1)

How do you stop a killer who is always five steps ahead?

I had one job.
One responsibility.
Protect Hannah from the obsessed stalker who was determined to have her.
When my sister went missing, I got even more distracted.
Nothing could have prepared me for what was about to happen.
I wasn’t supposed to fall for the beautiful girl who was too young for me.
But I did.
And that one m
Paperback, 1st Edition, 361 pages
Published July 9th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Five Steps Ahead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Steps Ahead

Start your review of Five Steps Ahead (Dark Shadows, #1)
MarvelUsReads
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Captivating! Nail-Biting! Jaw-Dropping! Samantha Baca’s Five Steps Ahead is a page-turning read, guaranteed to keep you at the edge of your seat!

Hannah, a homesick college student still mourning the death of her father, decides to circumvent her sense of loneliness by utilizing a dating app. Unfortunately, to her dismay what was intended to be a search for happiness, ends up being a nightmare leaving her fending for her life. Someone is watching her...and will stop at nothing to make her his!

H
Sarah Fischer
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m a big fan of romantic suspense and an even bigger fan of NA books so this one seemed straight up my alley. I also studied criminal justice when I was in school so I’m a bit critical of law enforcement involvement. I’m happy to say this book didn’t let me down. I read it over three days and when I wasn’t reading I was thinking about it. There’s good chemistry between the main characters and the pacing is quick. Definitely worth the read.
Jun 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
A thrilling romantic suspense that's bound to get you hooked from the very first page.

Hannah Anderson is the quiet good girl minding her studies at NYU with very few friends and no steady boyfriend in sight. The online dating apps she is introduced to seems to provide an opportunity to at least get to know someone but the very first online date Hannah chooses to go to ends with her drugged and unconscious and, to top it off, mysterious notes start appearing in her apartment.

Hannah has a stalker
Karen's Utterly Unashamed
That good old elementary school roses are red violets are blue poem might give you the chills after reading this one.

Hannah has lost a lot in the last few years and is trying to make something of herself while she navigates college at NYU. Her friend Amber tells her she should try a dating site and her life begins to spiral downward in the worst way. But is her date the only bad guy???

Now, the target of a stalker, possible killer, Hannah meets NYC detective Max who she needs to rely on to protec
Ashlee Wahl
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five Steps Ahead is Samantha Baca’s second book. After reading her first one, I knew that she would be a new author that I would enjoy. I enjoyed her first book, and was ready to dive into book two. The two books are not connected and each is a standalone, so no need to worry about reading one before the other. Five Steps ahead starts with Hannah attending college. She spends her time in a study group and her best friend encourages her to date. What Hannah doesn’t realize until it is too late, i ...more
Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads
Five "loved it" stars!

Coming in August 2020 from author Samantha Baca- her newest romantic suspense: Five Steps Ahead!

Heart-pounding. Intense. Thrilling.

This romantic suspense kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I couldn't put it down. I fought sleep to keep reading it, and woke up sleeping on top of my dead phone (true story). I had to know what would happen next. There were no lulls, no slow parts- the pacing was on-point to keep me interested, but not exhausted.

The layout of the b
Allison Benavidez
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a well written book! I enjoyed the different perspectives of the characters. It challenged my imagination to ponder what lay ahead in the plot with ever so subtle hints. Never a dull moment in this book, it kept me engaged throughout and captured within! I loved the ending. Samantha Baca’s books have helped me to renew my love for reading.
Book Estuary
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Book Estuary Review

Dark Shadow, Five Steps Ahead Summary

Five Steps Ahead is the username of the antagonist in this book by Samantha Baca. It tells the story of Hannah who is a NYU student and Max who is a detective in NYPD. Hannah and Max’s lives were entangled when a case involving Hannah and Max’s sister, Elena, was brought to the attention of NYPD. In this story, we see Hannah and Max fell in love in the midst of a thrilling situation involving a mad serial killer.

What did I like about Dark S
Janine - The World Was Hers for the Reading
Hannah, a college freshman at NYU is ready to start her life as an adult and explore who she is. She may be on the shy and quiet side, but she has a job, a small apartment, and has started making friends. What she wasn't expecting however, was to become the object of a stalker’s deadly obsession.

Max is a police detective. When his sister goes missing he is desperate to help find her, but not allowed to work the case. Instead, he is put on the case of a young college woman who was drugged at a co
Gsmitty
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, Samantha Baca has taken me on a whirlwind emotional rollercoaster ride of a journey with Five Steps Ahead! From the very first chapter, the descriptions had me enthralled as I lived the experiences and met and fell in love with the characters. The drama is gripping, and as everything unfolds, you simply can't guess what comes next!
Hannah is so strong. Forced to grow up from a young age, focused on what she wants, yearning for something she doesn't or can't have, at least not right now. Yet
Patricia G.
Apr 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh.My.GOD.

I need the next book immediately!!!! My ovaries shall not survive it!

The plot is suspenseful, well-written & intriguing with interesting characters that have good chemistry & as they grow emotional closer they begin to complement each other.

Five Steps Ahead is not what I expected; it’s so much more. Their story is chaotic and messy. We read their journey of trying to move forward and healing, which is a rough, painful ride. It’s raw.

It was quite an emotional read to be honest. Their
Lusine
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After reading Samantha Baca's debut novel, I was beyond excited to get into her second romantic suspense.
Five Steps Ahead is another page-turner with wonderful characters and heart-pounding and steamy scenes that hooks you up from the first chapter.
After my first experience with her book, I was really cautious not to read it late at night to avoid feeling anxious and creepy with the unpredictable and suspenseful scenes. I was particularly impressed by the spine-chilling poems the stalker would s
Lorena
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!

This is the second book I've read by Samantha and definitely not the last!! Such an amazing and keep you on the edge of your seat or in my case on the edge of your bed kind of book!! (P.s. When you start this book do it an appropriate time in the day, not at night or you'll end up still awake at 6am because it's impossible to put it down! Thank you coffee!) Amazing story and as good as if not better than her first book 'Til Death Do Us Part. Cannot wait for more to come!
Adrienne
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great book by Samantha Baca!! I got hooked from pretty much the beginning and just kept wanting to read more! Loved how this book had action, mystery, and romance pretty much from the start. Oh yes, there is always that one male character with sex appeal that catches my attention and wants me wanting to know more! In this book, that would be Max. I definitely recommend this read and look forward to more books from Samantha.
Jessica Aiken-Hall
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Five Steps Ahead had me hooked from the first page and kept me engaged until the last. Samantha Baca is a talented writer who does a great job at getting inside the characters’ heads. It was a suspenseful read that kept me up later than I should have been to see what happens next. If you enjoy suspenseful romance novels, this book is for you.
Saundra Fulford
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book

This book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. If you like thrileswith doe romance this I for you.
Bookshelf Obsessions
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Omg this book!! If you love romantic suspense, you need this book! There were so many twists and I was seriously n the edge of my seat.

Max is a detective and when his sister goes missing, he is pulling out all the stops to find her. Hannah is thrust into his life when she was drugged while on a date. When she thinks she has a stalker, Max starts noticing the similarities between the two cases. When things heat up in the case and with their growing relationship, can Max catch the stalker and pos
Kristina
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Hannah is a college student who is used to putting the needs of others before her own.  At the coaxing of a friend she decides to branch out and meet new people. Unfortunately she's caught the eye of a stalker who is determined to have her.

Max works in law enforcement and is desperate to keep Hannah safe from a madman who is connected to the  disappearance of his sister.

There is non stop action throughout this book. I was not able to put it down- it is  addictively readable.  There is conflict
Christy Mccallister
Mar 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
Max is devastated by the disappearance of his sister Elena. He does everything in his power to find her. He end up crossing paths with Hannah, and he feels a need to protect her from the same date as his sister. I loved their relationship, as well as Trevor as a side character. If he got his own book, I would read it lol As far as plot it was kind of predictable, but otherwise amazing! I was hooked all the way through.Overall, I loved the characters and their relationships. I also love a good my ...more
Whitney
Five Steps Ahead is a romantic suspense that is super fast-paced and thrilling! Max, a New York detective, is protecting Hannah from a stalker while also trying to find his missing sister. The cases are somehow linked but his team can’t catch a break to figure out who is behind all of it.

Even though he’s determined to find his sister, being near Hannah 24/7 is driving him crazy, and it’s only a matter of time before they act on their feelings. The chemistry build up between these two was so stea
Courtney Giardina
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I’ve read by Samantha. I enjoyed Til Death Do Us part, but this one was such a thriller! It had me on my toes the whole time. So many twists and turns and in the middle of it all was an adoring romance. The setup of this book was genius! The first chapter opens with such drama and then the book rewinds to show how the character got there. I thought the dynamic between the characters was well-written and could picture every scene so vividly. I don’t normally read suspense, ...more
Alyssa
Jun 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was an intriguing romantic suspense. Hannah’s story is what I tended to lean towards as I went through the book, and her desire for independence was so clearly shown. It’s just sad that the chance she gets for it comes with a dangerous stalker. I will say that despite the age difference, her and Max have SO much chemistry between them and you almost expect it to be lit on fire. As he works to protect her, can he also find his sister?

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am
Brooke Conklin
Mar 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
When it say I devoured this book I mean it!! I read the whole thing in less than a day!! It was so damn good!!
I loved the different POVs and all the guessing and wondering what the hell was going on.
Multiple times I said "WTF" and other times I had to walk away from the book to gain my composure.

Such a good, page turning book. Gahhh!!!

@author_samantha_baca holy hell you write some amazing romace thriller/suspense!!! Damn!!
Renee
Feb 17, 2021 rated it liked it
I have many thoughts, most of them not great. Hannah was annoying the hell out of me, and Max was getting there. This book had quite a few inconsistencies and a few times the dialog didn't feel like natural dialog like when they're interviewing about what just happened..and sigh. I had such high hopes for this book.

HOWEVER, the villain parts were great! Idk maybe it's the sicko in me but I really liked those parts they were creepy.
Sandra Mae
Mar 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Officially amending my stance on Stalker books!

I’m normally not a stalker book fan but after reading this one I am amending my stance. Great book, worth the read. There is a lot of character development that is revealed during the course of the book much like relationships. You don’t start with all the facts but discover them over time.
Peaceful
Apr 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I got this book in one of reveal romance book boxes and oh boy!!

I could not put this gem down. It has romance but it is almost secondary. It is a thriller that keeps you on your toes, on the edge of your seat, and turning the next page.
DPOUCH
Janet Lopez
Apr 30, 2021

• Pants On Fire
  • Still Beating
  • The Glass Slipper (Cinderella, #3)
  • Mail-Order Brit (The Wayward Brits #1)
  • The Best of Us (Love in Isolation, #2)
  • Gold Mine (Diamond, #2)
  • Still Standing (Wild West MC, #1)
  • Forevermore
  • Worth the Risk (A Southern Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Not What I Expected
  • Diamond in the Rough (Diamond, #1)
  • Law & Disorder
  • My Favorite Souvenir
  • Reckless Reunion (The Reckless Rockstar #3)
  • Reckless Invitation (The Reckless Rockstar #2)
  • Wild Wind (Chaos, #6.6)
  • No Mercy (Black Ops MMA, #1; The Everyday Heroes World)
  • Don't Kiss the Bride
Samantha lives in the southwest with her husband and two small children after abandoning her childhood dream of living in a cabin in Colorado when she found that she couldn’t afford to live there and was deathly allergic to the woods.

When she’s not writing she’s usually spouting off sarcastic remarks while drinking wine out of a coffee mug to look like a functional adult while chasing down her tod

News & Interviews