Start by marking “Oil and Water” as Want to Read:
Oil and Water

Oil and Water

Elsie Taylor is smart, sexy, and well connected to life she has with her friends and family. She also happens to be obsessed with vampire romance fiction. It's part of why, at twenty-eight years old, she hasn't settled down- she always craves something more from life. But when she meets Cy, who is new to town, her desire for excitement and danger falls by the wayside in fa ...more
ebook, First Ebook Edition
Published May 21st 2020

To ask other readers questions about Oil and Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oil and Water

Start your review of Oil and Water
SA Krishnan
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the story

The vampire system of the book stunned me first.
Elsie with all her innocence is just an ordinary person working in a children’s day care centre.
Opal seemed to be a complete antithesis to Elsie in every single way. A vampire and pretty strong one, Opal was cold, calculative and ruthless. She does not have a single memory of her human days.
The two people are nothing alike and yet the story is weaved around the two of them bringing them together and forcing them to work together.
En
Eva Alton
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. Oil and Water is a novel written from two points of view: one of them is Elsie, an ordinary, sweet girl who works in a children day care center; the other is Opal, a young and bloodthirsty vampire with no memories of her human life, which makes her completely ruthless and cold-blooded.
Those two women don't know each other at the beginning of the story, but end up having more in common than they think.
All characters are well-rounded, with vampire Cy as a charming love inter
J.L. Rothstein
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a 5 Star Highly Entertaining Debut Novel by Lara Ann Dominick providing an Exciting Spin on the Vampire Lore

Oil and Water is the gripping story of two women coming from vastly different backgrounds. Elsie is a struggling millennial living at home re-reading old YA vampire novels and longing for them to hold the same meaning they once did. Opal is a powerful, calculating vampire with no empathy, nor connection to humanity. With underlying themes of consent, mental illness, and toxic relat
Thais • tata.lifepages •
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oil and water is a paranormal adult romance that also has thriller and suspense elements mixed in to the plot. The world-building of the vampire society was amazing, I really enjoyed reading about the entire levels of hierarchy between vampires and their rules. It follows the story of two women; Opal, a seductive and dangerous vampire who also happens to be one of the strongest vampires alive, and Elsie, a ordinary human girl who loves reading about vampires.

The story has some strong elements su
Annekje
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

I read A LOT. I hate when I can see through a book. Well this one took me on twists and turns that I never expected. What an amazing story!! Thoroughly engaging and entertaining! Not just any old vampire story and definitely for a more mature (college and up) audience. I am hoping for more by the author!!
Judy Ferrell
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vampire schizophrenia.

Wow! This is the most unusual book. I've never read anything like it. I never thought about what would happen if a vampire might have a mental illness. Ms. Dominick explores the concept with enthusiasm in this book. I really enjoyed it. This is also a romance of unbelievable proportions.
Scribbles
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oil and Water had me right from the very beginning, when the protagonist spoke to my heart as a prolific reader, detailing how she burns through entire series’ of vampire paranormal books - It’s so easily done.

This is a strong debut novel by a truly exciting writer, and I’m not surprised it’s already had so many five star reviews. Offering a unique twist on our favourite vampire tales, Oil and Water has much in common with Anne Rice’s work, with characters reminiscent of Lestat and an overall th
Ashley Nicole
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fresh new vampire story that doesn't disappoint!

Oil and Water, to me, is all the good things about vampire books. I was hooked at the beginning when the main character talked about wishing she was in a vampire romance novel. Little did she know where she was headed

I loved the twists the author took and was so happy I didn't see them all coming. The plot was well done and gave me only the amount of info I needed until the rest was revealed.

Characterization was very strong. I enjoyed watching wh
Elizabeth Holland
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oil and Water was certainly one of those books that once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. There are no words that I can express in this review that will tell you how amazing this book is - you have to read it for yourself.

I'm usually good at spotting twists but each one caught me by surprise and had me on the edge of my seat.

Every aspect of the story was well-thought-through, effectively conveyed and most of all EXCITING. I've never read a book like this one (and I read many vampire
A.C. Merkel
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Whoah!
Especially the first half of this book. It’s all good but that mid point break is on fire. 🔥 and while I had guessed before I was straight up told. It was just a little before I was told and still wasn’t completely sure that what I thought would come to pass. The timing of the clues clicking was just close enough to the reveal for me to feel smart and get the actual reveal as I was still reeling with the emotion from it.

A few things I can say without spoilers. Because there’s no way I’m s
Cix Zander
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Story as Alluring as the Beautiful Cover

Oil and Water is a fresh take on vampires as well as a refreshingly sincere romance story. A few poignant messages are held within the pages of this book and are well worth reading for anyone. The scenery is beautifully detailed and gives the reader the chance to become really submerged in the Florida nightlife.

The action will get you hooked in deep, sometimes enticing you to turn the page, sometimes daring you to. Either way, that page must be turned!

La
ReadBetweenTheWines
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A newbie to Vampire Romance, I wasn't too sure what I was going to make of Oil and Water but I went in with an open mind and I'm so glad I did. It was something totally different for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The characterisation is great from the beginning - Elsie is interesting but I loved Opal from the outset - sassy, fiery and a God-damn independent vampire who does not follow no rules!

The novel is full of little surprises here and there which makes you want to keep reading. At times
Britt Weisrock
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Without spoilers...I wanna say Oil and Water started off casual but quickly morphed info a vampire story I hadn’t read before and really sucked me me in! Cy is the dreamy guy you want and Opal is the badass you need.
Can’t wait for book two!
Ginger Lee
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yes, it’s that good

Can I give Oil and Water six stars? This was unlike any other vampire tale told. Twists and turns kept me wanting more and I finished in two days. Wow! What a thrilling ride!
nick ✦ readbyray
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Going into Oil and Water I wasn’t really expecting much, because I really had no clue what I would think, as I don’t read Paranormal Romance very often – but this one stood out to me. I really liked the mood the beginning set. It really showed us who our main character Elsie was. It showed us her love or books, her insecurities, and who she really was in a non-info-dumpy way, which was really nice.

Lara Ann Dominick has a very smart way of writing. She kept having little surprises everywhere, mix
Jewel Hart
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A spellbindingly scrumptious paranormal love story, Oil and Water by Lara Ann Dominick is slick, sophisticated and gritty. A real Vampire masterpiece! Fully captivating from start to finish – I absolutely loved Oil and Water!

Normally, I like to start with the characters but… the plot – wow, I loved it! The twist wasn’t obvious and when I saw it coming, I sighed with satisfaction. Ancient vampires move in the shadows, mixing with humans but keeping their identity hidden, well most of the time! Th
Ella James
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read!!!! Highly recommended for paranormal
romance and vampires lovers!! Recommended to me by CLC.
Alma Luz  Garcia
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A compelling and modern vampire story, with some traditional elements of vampire lore. I truly enjoyed the imagery, plot twists, as well as the overall plot. The story starts off kind of sweet with Elsie’s life on display but quickly pulls you into some very complex ideas as it moves along with Opal’s emergence. The sensual scenes are so vivid and fulfilling that my body physically reacts to them. Truly exciting to read.
Sarah Vail
Aug 20, 2020 rated it liked it
When I picked up this book, I realized it was not my genre! But that it’s probably a great read if you follow the vampire scene. The author is good, has a good way of describing settings and such. I’m not a fan of the point of view character switch by using names at the head of the chapter and using first person for all main characters, though I’ve seen it a lot.
The thing I disliked most was the extreme overuse of profanity. It was off-putting. But I suppose this is how people talk these days.
Victoria Marswell
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance Readers
Lara Ann Dominick draws in the reader with believable and relatable characters, which is difficult to do in paranormal/supernatural stories! Dominick even manages to write her characters well enough to gain a little sympathy for the villain's. Not an easy task!
I enjoyed the development of Elsie and Opal as their individual strengths played out, revealing a surprising twist in the story. Although I was able to guess what was coming early on in the book it was wonderful and satisfying to read as
Rita Rana
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, very entertaining book with unexpected twists and turns, i loved the Character development and writing style. An amazing and fresh Vampire story. I highly recommend this book.
Ooha Biddala
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: aty-2020
It was a mixed bag for me.

Starting off the story with a vampire fiction fanatic laughing at her own deranged ideas of romance set me up to expect a subversions of a well-loved trope. There were places where that expectation is well-met and then some where it's thrown into a ditch.

Elsie was very likable, but Opal came off inconsistent. Representation of friendship wins gold while family...eh, may be a bronze.

The pace was quick and easy to read; the dialogue and prose- a teensy bit amateurish.

Li
Jordan Holt
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elsie spends her days reading vampire novels, hoping for a sexy romance that she fetishizes to whisk her away from the monotony of her life. Then she meets Cyrus and everything she thought she knew about romance (and everything she thought she knew about him) crumbles away. Opal is the strongest vampire to exist, abnormally strong and a hatred for rules to boot. Then there's Amber, a vampire who has been weaving a plan that is going to tie Elsie and Opal together in ways neither of them imagined ...more
A.M. Gilliam
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read!

This book immediately grabbed my attention! There are a lot of twists and I loved everyone of this! I enjoyed the way this book was written and can’t wait to check out other books from this author ! ❤️❤️
Sarah Maxwell
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super entertaining book about vampires, love and powerful women. Lots of twists and turns that keep you guessing. Well worth a read!
Julie Marie
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I'm not a big reader BUT this book is amazing! It is a vampire book but NOT like Twilight or anything else. An amazing story line and character development. Twists and turns that leave you shocked!
Michael Dominick
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm not the hugest fan of Vampire novels other than say the classics such as Dracula, but I really loved Oil and Water. It takes the familiar themes of the Vampire romance (for lack of a better term) and adds an examination of psychological illness to it that make it less a romance and more a thrilling character study of two individuals who couldn't be psychology further from each other on the personality spectrum.
Diana G Miller
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A MUST read!

Alright, I almost never give 5 stars, but this one deserved it. I usually pride myself on always knowing where a twist or turn is going to happen; usually to the detriment of my reading experience. I NEVER saw this twist coming, and I doubt you will either! Well done and well crafted! Enjoyed this immensely.
Jordan Duncan
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Find the full Coffee, Book, & Candle review at: https://www.coffeebookandcandle.com/p....

Summary
Oil and Water follows the story of two women: Elsie, a human in her late twenties who is living with her parents while trying to pay back her student loans, and Opal, a ruthless vampire who uses seduction to feed when she wants and has no qualms about the humans she kills.

Characters
Elsie
Though I am far from an Elsie, I immediately clicked with this character. From the first page, her mental tangents e
Molly Faith
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!! After reading a couple other reviews, I knew I had to give this book a try for myself and I’m SO glad that I did! I was hooked from the very beginning and was thrilled to wake up hours before my kids so I could read! I wish I was a better writer and could give a better review on this book, but all these other reviews are totally on point and do the book so much justice! I loved diving into the lives of both Elsie (human) and Opal (vampire)! I truly felt like I was there with ...more

• The Vintage Bookshop of Memories
  • Stray Witch (The Vampires of Emberbury #1)
  • Atonement (Heaven Sent #1)
  • Mark of a Demon
  • The Tales of the Magic Piano
  • Dibs (The Bourbon Books, #1)
  • The Boy Who Ate America
  • A Night in Babylon
  • Bang to Begin
  • Nevada Noir : A Trilogy of Short Stories
  • Strong from the Heart (Caitlin Strong #11)
  • The Back Up Plan: Giving up? Or moving on?
  • The Space Pot
  • ONE (Sydney Jones Series #3)
  • The Knife Thrower’s Wife
  • Simone LaFray and the Chocolatiers' Ball (Simone LaFray, #1)
  • The Women of the South (The Voyage Book 1)
  • Need Of A Change
Lara Ann Dominick has spent most of her life enjoying supernatural and paranormal literature and is pleased to showcase her own take on the myths and legends. A graduate of Rider University, she now makes her home in the Tampa area. Her love of the Gulf Coast and its beauty inspired much of the imagery found in the novel. Lara is a fitness enthusiast whose love of running can be found in her work ...more

News & Interviews