Start by marking “Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!” as Want to Read:
Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!

Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!

Harriet doesn't mean to be pesky. Sometimes she just is. And her mother doesn't mean to lose her temper. Sometimes she just does.
But Harriet and her mother know that even when they do things they wish they hadn't, they still love each other very much.
Published May 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!

Start your review of Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!
Nicole Doerr
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
"Harriet You'll Drive Me Wild!" is a adorable book about a young girl name Harriet. This book is a contemporary realistic fiction aimed at preschool or school aged children. Throughout the book Harriet is being a handful for her mother. She breaks things and makes messes everywhere all day long.She is not doing thing intentionally but they are just happening. Her mother tried to remain calm and not yell. At the end of the book, her mother does yell at her. She quickly apologizes and says ...more
Cecilia
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mothers with daughters
I change Harriet's name to my daughter's name. It works better that way.
Rosa Cline
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
The illustrations of this book was very cute and I think the author had a good idea behind it. But I guess because I've never really believed in not disciplining your child when they do something wrong. Allow them to be a child but if they do something wrong tell them not just pat them on the head and say it's okay; until it builds up (like it did in this book) and you end up yelling at them. Then they don't understand why that was wrong but the other stuff wasn't.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Harriet doesn't really mean to drive her mother wild.... sometimes it just happens.
Beverly
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pbf-family
Perhaps some closer parental supervision might have prevented some of the messes described.
Jessica
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Children do not always purposely behave in a manner that drives adults crazy. Parents sometimes (ha!) lose their patience.
Cruth
Author: Mem Fox
Illustrator: Marla Frazee
First published: 2000

"Her mother didn't like to yell, so instead she said,
'Harriet, my darling child. Harriet, you'll drive me wild.
Harriet, sweetheart, what are we to do?
Harriet Harris, I'm talking to you.'
'I'm sorry,' said Harriet, and she was."

A day in the life of a toddler, with a Real Mum. She gardens, works on her computer, addresses envelopes. And every time Harriet has an accident "just like that", Mum gets progressively more frustrated.

Illustrated
Sandra
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Harriet is really trying not to misbehave, and her mom is really trying not to get mad at her. But sometimes both things happen. It's touching to see how both of them are trying hard. Mom doesn't like to yell. Harriet says she is sorry, and she means it. The best part is that they both can be forgiving, with themselves and with the other, and then try again.
It's a strong point of this story that both, mom and Harriet, have to effort to control themselves, this way parents and kids can relate
(NS) - Heather Hayman
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
In this charming story by Mem Fox, Harriet is the kind of kid that most people see as a handful. In just one day, she knocks over her juice, paints on the carpet and falls off her chair at lunch with the entire tablecloth. Harriet doesn't mean to be such a nuisance, and her mother tries to be as patient as possible. Things start to change after more mishaps occur as blood pressure starts to rise and her Mother explodes. Overall, it is a recommended story involving accidents that led to ...more
Sylvester
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5* art
5* story

Squirt asks for this one again and again. For some reason he is fascinated by the conflict between this mother and daughter (?!!!) When it comes to the part where the mother finally loses her temper and yells and yells and yells, he wants me to read it quietly, "Not too loud, Mommy." He could've written this book himself, he's been through it so many times. Including the part where Mommy has to apologize for yelling. What an awesome book! Kids need to understand these situations.
Emma
I don't know, it kind of leaves me cold. Kid likes it, but I think it's a bit earnest or dull or something. Even the illustration style.
Joyce Ellis
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mem Fox works long and hard to get just the right beginning of each picture book. And the premise of this book is one many young children can relate to. It comes through clearly with the first two sentences: "Harriet Harris was a pesky child. She didn't mean to be. She just was." The story unfolds with instance after instance of Harriet's "pesky" antics while Mom tries to handle everything "without yelling" until the story comes to a loving end. Charming illustrations bring additional story ...more
Suzanne Kunz Williams
I loved this book. I think most children want to be good and pleasant. And I think most mothers want to be patient and kind (I know I do). And yet sometimes we all make mistakes and need to ask for forgiveness. It's good when apologies come, when forgiveness if offered and when love grows again.

**Talking points - Do you have certain things that drive other people wild in negative ways? What are they? Do you want to change them? How can you change them? Do you sometimes lose your patience? What
Jennifer Strong
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2016, owned
Harriet is a "pesky" child and (accidentally) makes messes all day long. With each disaster her mother gets angrier and angrier. She doesn't like to yell, but when Harriet rips a pillow open and feathers go flying, mom loses it. They both calm down, hug, look around and realize how silly the massive feather mess is.

As a parent's I totally relate to this book. I try and try and try to be calm when he makes a mess or does something naughty. And sometimes I get to the point where I've had it! But
Abby Gallier
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-4, picture-books
I remember this book from when I was a kid, and would recommend it for ages 4-7. My mom would read it with plenty of emphasis to my sister and I. This book depicts a little girl who makes messes and gets into trouble, and her mother has an incredible amount of patience with her, but only to a certain point. This was my mom. She never raised her voice at us very often, but on the rare occasion that she did, we always knew we had gotten on her last nerve. It is a relatable story for children who ...more
Susan
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this up from a Scholastic book sale at a school where I used to teach because I recognized the author's name from Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge, which I think I read in the Writing Project. This was a simple story about a little girl being a little girl and the mom finally losing her patience but then apologizing. Just like little kids (sometimes) don't mean to make messes, we also don't mean to lose our patience with them.
Adriana Palencia
I wasn't too fond of the book, but I really enjoyed the ending of this book. The mother understands Harriet is sorry for what she has done and forgives her. Harriet and her mom work together to clean up the mess. This book could be used as a social and emotional book. The class could have a discussion about what Harriet could have done throughout the book to make her mom feel better.
Mella
See this review. Not the best. Bit slow. Bit bland. There's no rhyming and the message doesn't really impact very strongly.
Kimberly
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice repetitive story. The kindergarteners were getting a little bored of the repetitive language, but that is what makes it interactive. Better for first semester kindergarten and younger, with good attention span.
Steph
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
A book with multiple conversation directions to take: behavior, why we act the way we do, losing one's temper, regretting actions. I can see how this book could be a useful tool to try to explore why kids are acting the way they are, and what if anything can be done to help.
Susan
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I found this story of an accident-prone little girl and her frazzled mother to be so, so relatable and endearing. The detailed illustrations nicely add to the story and I especially like how Harriet's sidekick (a scruffy little dog) appears on every page.
Clarissa
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet story about how parents can get angry and yell, but apologize afterwards. Love the Marla Frazee illustrations!
Brooke
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-kid, own
Loved. So perfect.
Alicia
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. A favourite. Captures daily life with children. It's about love and relationships.
Mackinzey Warren
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Even though Harriet drives her nuts, her mother still loves her. A good book to have on hand when it comes to saying sorry!
Eve
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect to read to two young children who are both an awful lot like Harriet. Great for kids AND parents; completely recognizable and absolutely reassuring.
Barbara
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Probably closer to 3.5 stars. The story is kind of cute, and children will probably giggle. Will they want to reread it? I’m not sure. The illustrations are great, and really tell the story much more than the words.
Michelle Roberts
Very relatable.
Becky
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-youth
Every mother will adore this book! Charming, funny, and touching.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Boot & Shoe
  • The Relatives Came
  • The Library
  • Tops & Bottoms
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Llama Llama Home with Mama
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in