Start by marking “Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)” as Want to Read:
Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)

Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower #4)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  123,801 Ratings  ·  4,274 Reviews
Fourth in the Epic Dark Tower Series…
Wizard and Glass

In 1978, Stephen King introduced the world to the last gunslinger, Roland of Gilead.  Nothing has been the same since. More than twenty years later, the quest for the Dark Tower continues to take readers on a wildly epic ride. Through parallel worlds and across time, Roland must brave desolate wastelands and endless dese
Mass Market Paperback, Revised Edition, 700 pages
Published October 7th 2003 by Signet (first published November 4th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard and Glass, please sign up.

Brian Hepburn I completely disagree with people saying no. I used to keep a bookmark at the end of the first section when Roland starts his story (about 15 percent…moreI completely disagree with people saying no. I used to keep a bookmark at the end of the first section when Roland starts his story (about 15 percent into the book) and another one at the end of his story (about 90 percent through) and tell people what falls in between is quite simply, the most amazing stand-alone story I've ever read. To sum it up, I don't care for the beginning or the ending of that book (The Train part was incredibly frustrating) but this book is still my all-time favorite.

The other books will help reference a few names and vocabulary but Roland's backstory in itself is perfection. (less)

Stephen
In the immortal words of The Queen
Photobucket
SimplytheBEST.

And yet I seem to be the only person who feels that way about this 4th installment of the Dark Tower series. Can you please riddle me why that is, sais? It’s not that fans of the series dislike this novel, but I often see it cited as their least favorite. I find that stunning and I don’t ken it. I don’t ken it a bit.

While I love the entire series, this one is easily my favorite. My gushing was so torrential when I read this that I was on an IV
Mark Lawrence
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There seem to be two distinct schools of Dark Tower readers. One school consider this the weakest of the seven volumes. They can't see what the point is. A huge flashback - stuff that has already happened - how does that advance the plot? I call these people the Rolands. The other school considers this to be the finest book of the series, they loved every page of the thing. They think the huge flash-back was a wonderful story in itself which develops a greater understanding of what motivates the ...more
Kemper
Stephen King ended the third book in the Dark Tower series on a wicked cliffhanger in 1991. By 1994 my patience had grown thin, especially after King had delivered 787 pages of pure crap with Insomnia. Even worse was that he actually had the nerve to tease some of the DT stuff in that overstuffed abomination. I was relatively sure that King was sitting on pile of money somewhere and laughing at me as he wrote page after page that was NOT the fourth DT book.

So in October of ‘94 when I read that K
Delee
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This buddy-read has been long- Some of our ka-tet have fallen...some have been left behind in the dust. We have picked up a few new members along the way- but only the strongest and most cunning will survive the whole journey to The Daaaaark Tooooooower.

photo d4a2346f-b680-4982-b649-c1467dfd426f_zpsqav0bzkm.jpg

Buddy-read with our fearless leader- Quick Draw Stepheny, Jumpin' Jeff, Calamity Bev, Welcome- Kid Colt Karly, and Dastardly Dan...and let us have a moment of silence for our fallen members- Bronco Bustin' Black Jackin' Jason- Jason's perverted n
Emma
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! Fascinating to finally get some backstory for Roland and what a story! Loved it. I would say it's my favourite so far, but I also thought the Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three were 5 stars!
Will M.
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Giving a Stephen King book 2 stars pains me a lot, but I can't bump it up to 3 stars just because he's my favorite author. This book was awful, and 500 pages longer than it should've been.

I get everyone's opinion that we need that backstory of Roland, but in my opinion, King could've just considered this a novella. Something that could be read if the reader wanted to. He made this the fourth novel, so that means the readers are obliged to read this if they want to continue on with the series. H
Jeff
As Rhea of Coos hobbled over to her table, she gave Musty, her foul smelling mutant cat, a swift kick.

"I'll give ya a tongue bath later"!

Rhea was anxious to examine the contents of the bag the silver headed stranger had just dropped off. In the bag were two glass balls; both the size of grapefruits. One was shaded pink, the other a bright purple. She grasped the pink orb and immediately felt a warm tingling between her legs. Ermot dropped down the floor from beneath her skirt and crawled over t
Markus
There is a kind of echo in the bright air, a yearning for other places in the blood, a loneliness in the heart that sings like the wind.

Who is Roland?

What secrets are hidden in the past of the last gunslinger of Gilead?

The questions are stuck in your mind from the very moment you open the first book in the series and read the best opening sentence ever written. The enigmatic nature of Roland’s character is part of what made him one of my favourite protagonists of all time and one of the saving
Dan Schwent
After a riddle contest with Blaine the Mono, Roland and his ka-tet continue on their quest for the Dark Tower. While camping, Roland reveals the story of his youth and his first love.

The best part of this was Roland's backstory. You see that he wasn't always the killing machine he's become and learn a lot more of the backstory of the series as well. Astute Stephen King readers will appreciate the world they go through after entering the thinny.

The only complaint I have about this one is that I c
seak
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a sentence: Stephen King does Tombstone (the movie) to great effect.

With only about 25% of actual series plot development (or 500 pages sandwiched between plot development), you'd think I would hate this book. Had I not known about this beforehand or had I waited 6 years for more Dark Tower, I'd probably be singing a different tune.

Then again, I love me a western and to call them Gunslingers on top of it all (such a cool word), I'm pretty sure I would have loved Wizard and Glass no matter wha
♛Tash
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

It pains me to give this book just 2 stars but I skimmed more than a quarter of it, because I just want to get to the goddamned tower, take a selfie, then go home.
sj
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drunk-review
September, 2012:

All right.  I've had a few glasses of wine, and I finally feel ready to talk about why I so very much HATE THIS FUCKING BOOK.

Please, don't get me wrong.  I'm a HUGE Tower Junkie.  By the time I got this book, I'd already read and re-read the first three more times than I could count, and even though it was only 6 years after TWL, I'd really been waiting 9 years total.

15 years after this book came out (and I've probably read the whole thing 5 or 6 times, and skimmed it many more t
Mark
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fiction
At the end of book three Roland and his followers finally escaped the terrors of Lud and Blaine the train and set their eyes, once again, on following the beam to the Dark Tower. I rated book three a five star rating as it was my favourite up until then.

Wizard and Glass gets a four star rating from me. Again an excellent and exciting piece of the Dark Tower series but it interrupted the journey in a major way, just when it REALLY started to jump forward. For those of you that are about to start
Ɗắɳ  2.☊
“Kill if you will, but command me nothing!” the gunslinger roared. “You have forgotten the faces of those who made you! Now either kill us or be silent and listen to me, Roland of Gilead, son of Steven, gunslinger, and lord of ancient lands! I have not come across all the miles and all the years to listen to your childish prating! Do you understand? Now you will listen to ME!”

I hear you brother. In fact, it felt as though I’ve been listening to you ramble for days on end. Damn buddy, I honestly
Vane J.
DNF at 55%

Yoo hoo! You know what this is? This is me abandoning the fourth book in the Dark Tower series:

Well, metaphorically.

It is so frustrating to feel myself forced to abandon this book, especially since things were getting better in the previous one. You see, I thought book 1 was okay, 2 was better, but book 3 was great. I really liked it, so I expected this one to be better, or at least as good as the other ones had been. But no, it was bad.

See, the thing is that after the horrible cliffha
Stepheny

We are Ka-Tet, we are one from many. We have shared khef. We have travelled alongside one another. We have lost a few of our tet along the way, but we have also gained a few. There’s Jumpin' Jeff (Only the man Jesus knows where he's at!), Rootin' Tootin' Pistol Packin' Ass Whuppin’ Virgin Blood Drinkin' Delee, Calamity Bev who is still plugging along, Kid Colt Karly, Bloody Black Kit Kat (who was sorely missed for this read!), Bronco Bustin Black Jack(in') Jason who was fashionably late, Dastard
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*
Category: A book with more than 500 pages

3 Stars

Unfortunately Kat could not join me on this journey, but keep heart…. Jeff, Stepheny, Dan 2.0 and Delee all ventured along.

King’s Wizard and Glass is a great example of when a story within a story gets really carried away with itself. About 500 of the 718 pages are Roland’s backstory rather than present day story of the search for the elusive ‘dark tower’. This is the story of Susan…. And Cuthbert… and Alain. This is the story of how Roland became
Kyriakos Sorokkou
DTProject2017 | Book 4

What a ride

The 2nd longest book in the series, after the last one, and my favourite; the last one comes next.

This book starts exactly where the 3rd book stopped, a massive cliffhanger.
And everything that happens in it takes place in less than 1-2 days.
Out of the 845 pages, 219 of them (25.91%) are the actual story and
out of the 845 pages, 626 of them (74.08%) are the (story within a story), the tale of Roland's youth, the one he narrates to them in the course of one nigh
Jason Parent
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, fantasy
The Wizard and the Glass had to piss a lot of people off when it came out. The book is 95% a story from Roland's past - a tale the intertwines several genres including western, romance, and fantasy. And it proves Stephen King can do it all.

This backstory is in many ways far better than the main plot line. It had suspense, excellent plotting and pacing, a plethora of well-developed characters - everything about it was perfect... well, except my only complaint about the book (view spoiler)
R.K. Gold
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, it's happening, finally finished. It's funny I got halfway through this book in like a day then it took me over a week to read the second half, not due to a lack of interest, more the world around me suddenly got more exciting. See this is why friends suck, they get in the way of reading phenomenal books by making you have a life.

Anyway, what I thought of this book. Well, FINALLY I learned about Roland's history. I mean sure I knew about Martin and his mother, and how he originally became
Char
I am ditching this audio re-read of Wizard and Glass. This narrator is just not for me. I'm going to go ahead and reserve the next book in the series, because the narration goes back to George Guidall. He did the audiobook of The Gunslinger and I just loved it.
I will leave my rating as it stands, as I did so love this book.
Ashley Daviau
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly love this book more and more each time I read it. When I started my Dark Tower journey for the first time as a teen, I was constantly wondering through books 1-3 what had happened to Susan and Alain and Cuthbert and so when this book came along, I was provided with such a feeling of satisfaction.

I know we don't get the full story on all three characters yet, but Susan was always the one I was most curious about as she's still so present in Roland's life many years later. And since it
Andre Gonzalez
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Tower 4 continues Roland's journey in an unexpected way, taking us back to the main character's youth. 90% of the book takes place in this "flashback" story that Roland is telling to his ka-tet. While some parts seemed to be overly drawn out, it ultimately gives us insight into what is really driving Roland in his quest for the Dark Tower.

The story-telling is incredible as Stephen King weaves different universes into one story and setting up what is sure to be an epic second half to his
Brian
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
King may be the master of horror and suspense, but his work as a romance novelist is a failure.

The main story of The Dark Tower goes off the rails (yes, pun intended for those who have read this) and wallows in 500 pages of Roland's backstory - a young-love yarn with a sprinkling of occasional action that just didn't work on any level. King wrote like he was getting paid by the word (He was very frightened. Very frightened indeed.) - and the whole ridiculous Wizard of Oz story tie-in just smack
Jennifer Parr
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was by far the best, in my opinion. I loved the story of fourteen-year-old Roland and his love Susan. As mush as King says he struggles to write romance, I saw no evidence of that here. It was both beautiful and heartbreaking.
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
It hurt a bit to say that this one is probably one of my least favourite book in The Dark Tower series. With King, I have come to expect the flood of backstories. So yes, I was very much prepared when I picked this up.

Roland Deschain's recollections of his past did not bother me (I've always been curious about his Life Before) so it's not the backstories that made me knock out the stars, but rather it is the missing ka-tet I am more familiar with. I missed Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy - they w
Edward Lorn
Cindy Newton
I see that the ratings on this book vary among my friends. Some gave it an enthusiastic five stars, others, two or three resentful stars. I am reading this book years after original publication, so I am not a victim of the anguish suffered by those who did endure the wait. I can imagine their disappointment, though. Even without my emotions and anticipation raised to a fever pitch by years of waiting, I was disappointed.

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

Okay, so SK felt that the story of Roland's past need
Richard
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, western, sci-fi
8.5/10

I can understand why people didn’t get a kick out of waiting a number of years for the conclusion of The Waste Lands to then be presented with this massive book of, primarily, back-story. I on the other hand thought this was one of the best in the series. Yes, it was bloated and didn’t progress the story of Roland and his ka-tet’s quest to the dark tower but what it did add was an incredible amount of depth to Roland’s character.

The first section concludes the riddling contest with Blaine
Brandon
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking up where The Wastelands left off, the Wizard and Glass takes us back to the ka-tet's excruciating marathon riddle session with Blaine the Mono. Shortly thereafter, Eddie, Suzannah and Jake are told a crucial story of Roland's youth during his formative years as a young gunslinger.

This was a really hard one to rate. While I loved the first three books, this one abandons the story that King has been building up since the beginning in favor of a long, drawn out back story. I'm not saying th
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong page number for "The Dark Tower" 7 20 Aug 12, 2017 09:13AM
Book Club: Wizard and Glass 1 5 May 22, 2017 06:05PM
Around the Year i...: Wizard and Glass, by Stephen King 9 39 May 22, 2017 02:25PM
2017 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower #4) 25 165 Apr 28, 2017 10:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect page count 3 15 Mar 16, 2017 06:03AM
#RetoTorreOscura: La Torre Oscura IV: Mago y Cristal 1 9 Jan 29, 2017 01:12PM
Challenge: 50 Books: November Group Read: Wizard and Glass 2 7 Nov 03, 2016 12:57PM
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little Sisters of Eluria
  • The Regulators
  • Everville (Book of the Art #2)
  • The Hand of Oberon (The Chronicles of Amber #4)
  • The White Rose (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3)
  • Reaper's Gale (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)
  • Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, #3)
  • Mr. Murder
More about Stephen King...

The Dark Tower (8 books)
  • The Gunslinger
  • The Drawing of the Three
  • The Waste Lands
  • Wolves of the Calla
  • Song of Susannah
  • The Dark Tower
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole
“True love, like any other strong and addicting drug, is boring — once the tale of encounter and discovery is told, kisses quickly grow stale and caresses tiresome… except, of course, to those who share the kisses, who give and take the caresses while every sound and color of the world seems to deepen and brighten around them. As with any other strong drug, true first love is really only interesting to those who have become its prisoners.
And, as is true of any other strong and addicting drug, true first love is dangerous.”
245 likes
“If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone” 138 likes