Start by marking “Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)” as Want to Read:
Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)

Wizard and Glass

(The Dark Tower #4)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  146,480 ratings  ·  5,308 reviews
Part IV of an epic quest. Roland the Gunslinger and his followers have to contend with a sentient monorail intent on killing itself and taking them with it. While seeking to return to the Path of the Beam that will lead them to the Dark Tower, Roland tells his friends a story about the tragic loss of his first love, Susan Delgado.
--stephenking.com
Mass Market Paperback, US/CAN, 700 pages
Published 2004 by Signet (first published November 4th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard and Glass, please sign up.
Brian Hepburn I completely disagree with people saying no. I used to keep a bookmark at the end of the first section when Roland starts his story (about 15 percent…moreI completely disagree with people saying no. I used to keep a bookmark at the end of the first section when Roland starts his story (about 15 percent into the book) and another one at the end of his story (about 90 percent through) and tell people what falls in between is quite simply, the most amazing stand-alone story I've ever read. To sum it up, I don't care for the beginning or the ending of that book (The Train part was incredibly frustrating) but this book is still my all-time favorite.

The other books will help reference a few names and vocabulary but Roland's backstory in itself is perfection. (less)
Tyler Disclaimer: Wind Through the Keyhole was the first Dark Tower book I read because I found it for cheap. I'm currently reading them in order and just…moreDisclaimer: Wind Through the Keyhole was the first Dark Tower book I read because I found it for cheap. I'm currently reading them in order and just finished Wizard and Glass (haven't read the last 3 yet).

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule to this question. WttK is much like WaG in that it tells a story within a story and doesn't service the overall plot of the Dark Tower series. If you loved the character development and getting to know the world in WaG then read WttK next. However, if you're like me and felt like WaG was a bit tiresome and just want to get back on the quest for the Dark Tower I'd skip WttK and read it last, it has a good story in and of itself but doesn't service the plot of the series. (less)

·  146,480 ratings  ·  5,308 reviews

Stephen
In the immortal words of The Queen
Photobucket
SimplytheBEST.

And yet I seem to be the only person who feels that way about this 4th installment of the Dark Tower series. Can you please riddle me why that is, sais? It’s not that fans of the series dislike this novel, but I often see it cited as their least favorite. I find that stunning and I don’t ken it. I don’t ken it a bit.

While I love the entire series, this one is easily my favorite. My gushing was so torrential when I read this that I was on an IV
Mark Lawrence
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There seem to be two distinct schools of Dark Tower readers. One school consider this the weakest of the seven volumes. They can't see what the point is. A huge flashback - stuff that has already happened - how does that advance the plot? I call these people the Rolands. The other school considers this to be the finest book of the series, they loved every page of the thing. They think the huge flash-back was a wonderful story in itself which develops a greater understanding of what motivates the ...more
Jayson
(A-) 84% | Very Good
Notes: A slow, but never dull, build to a thrilling climax, it provides the sorely needed back-story lacking in previous books.
Kemper
Stephen King ended the third book in the Dark Tower series on a wicked cliffhanger in 1991. By 1994 my patience had grown thin, especially after King had delivered 787 pages of pure crap with Insomnia. Even worse was that he actually had the nerve to tease some of the DT stuff in that overstuffed abomination. I was relatively sure that King was sitting on pile of money somewhere and laughing at me as he wrote page after page that was NOT the fourth DT book.

So in October of ‘94 when I read that K
Delee
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This buddy-read has been long- Some of our ka-tet have fallen...some have been left behind in the dust. We have picked up a few new members along the way- but only the strongest and most cunning will survive the whole journey to The Daaaaark Tooooooower.

photo d4a2346f-b680-4982-b649-c1467dfd426f_zpsqav0bzkm.jpg

Buddy-read with our fearless leader- Quick Draw Stepheny, Jumpin' Jeff, Calamity Bev, Welcome- Kid Colt Karly, and Dastardly Dan...and let us have a moment of silence for our fallen members- Bronco Bustin' Black Jackin' Jason- Jason's perverted n
Adina
I think I might be done with this series. Wizard and Glass was a dissapointment for me, unfortunately, despite looking forward to reading Roland’s backstory. The book’s main problem was that it was BORING as hell. I struggled for two months to finish and I started to skip at the end. I did not like the beggining as I am not a fan of riddles and, unexepectedly, Roland’s story was even worse.

By the end of this novel I realize I don’t like the characters too much ( except for Jake), I actually des
Emma
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! Fascinating to finally get some backstory for Roland and what a story! Loved it. I would say it's my favourite so far, but I also thought the Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three were 5 stars!
Will M.
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Giving a Stephen King book 2 stars pains me a lot, but I can't bump it up to 3 stars just because he's my favorite author. This book was awful, and 500 pages longer than it should've been.

I get everyone's opinion that we need that backstory of Roland, but in my opinion, King could've just considered this a novella. Something that could be read if the reader wanted to. He made this the fourth novel, so that means the readers are obliged to read this if they want to continue on with the series. H
Jeff
As Rhea of Coos hobbled over to her table, she gave Musty, her foul smelling mutant cat, a swift kick.

"I'll give ya a tongue bath later"!

Rhea was anxious to examine the contents of the bag the silver headed stranger had just dropped off. In the bag were two glass balls; both the size of grapefruits. One was shaded pink, the other a bright purple. She grasped the pink orb and immediately felt a warm tingling between her legs. Ermot dropped down the floor from beneath her skirt and crawled over t
megs_bookrack
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wizard and Glass.

What do I even say about this book?

This book is an immense, epic, beautifully told story of love and loss.

If you are reading this, you are most likely aware that Wizard and Glass is the fourth installment in Stephen King's epic fantasy series, The Dark Tower.

In this book we hear an incredible tale of the early life of Roland of Gilead.
We learn all about his life shortly after becoming a Gunslinger. He has been sent from home to the Barony of Mejis with two of his closest com
Markus
There is a kind of echo in the bright air, a yearning for other places in the blood, a loneliness in the heart that sings like the wind.

Who is Roland?

What secrets are hidden in the past of the last gunslinger of Gilead?

The questions are stuck in your mind from the very moment you open the first book in the series and read the best opening sentence ever written. The enigmatic nature of Roland’s character is part of what made him one of my favourite protagonists of all time and one of the saving
Lyn
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At a crossroads in rural Maine in early 1970, a young Stephen King meets with The Dark Man and discusses his future in writing and specifically a forthcoming book called Wizard and Glass.

DM: So we gonna close this deal or what? I got people waiting –

SK: I dunno, Mr. – what do I call you again?

DM: Friend, you call me friend, right? Come on Stevie, I thought we’d been through this, you came to meet with me and I’m acting in good faith here, you got some other agenda? Something I should know about
♛Tash
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

It pains me to give this book just 2 stars but I skimmed more than a quarter of it, because I just want to get to the goddamned tower, take a selfie, then go home.
Dan Schwent
After a riddle contest with Blaine the Mono, Roland and his ka-tet continue on their quest for the Dark Tower. While camping, Roland reveals the story of his youth and his first love.

The best part of this was Roland's backstory. You see that he wasn't always the killing machine he's become and learn a lot more of the backstory of the series as well. Astute Stephen King readers will appreciate the world they go through after entering the thinny.

The only complaint I have about this one is that I c
Johann (jobis89)
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Up there as one of my all time favourite King books. LOVE. Full review to come.
seak
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a sentence: Stephen King does Tombstone (the movie) to great effect.

With only about 25% of actual series plot development (or 500 pages sandwiched between plot development), you'd think I would hate this book. Had I not known about this beforehand or had I waited 6 years for more Dark Tower, I'd probably be singing a different tune.

Then again, I love me a western and to call them Gunslingers on top of it all (such a cool word), I'm pretty sure I would have loved Wizard and Glass no matter wha
sj
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drunk-review
September, 2012:

All right.  I've had a few glasses of wine, and I finally feel ready to talk about why I so very much HATE THIS FUCKING BOOK.

Please, don't get me wrong.  I'm a HUGE Tower Junkie.  By the time I got this book, I'd already read and re-read the first three more times than I could count, and even though it was only 6 years after TWL, I'd really been waiting 9 years total.

15 years after this book came out (and I've probably read the whole thing 5 or 6 times, and skimmed it many more t
Vanessa J.
DNF at 55%

Yoo hoo! You know what this is? This is me abandoning the fourth book in the Dark Tower series:

Well, metaphorically.

It is so frustrating to feel myself forced to abandon this book, especially since things were getting better in the previous one. You see, I thought book 1 was okay, 2 was better, but book 3 was great. I really liked it, so I expected this one to be better, or at least as good as the other ones had been. But no, it was bad.

See, the thing is that after the horrible cliffha
R.K. Gold
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, it's happening, finally finished. It's funny I got halfway through this book in like a day then it took me over a week to read the second half, not due to a lack of interest, more the world around me suddenly got more exciting. See this is why friends suck, they get in the way of reading phenomenal books by making you have a life.

Anyway, what I thought of this book. Well, FINALLY I learned about Roland's history. I mean sure I knew about Martin and his mother, and how he originally became
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
“Kill if you will, but command me nothing!” the gunslinger roared. “You have forgotten the faces of those who made you! Now either kill us or be silent and listen to me, Roland of Gilead, son of Steven, gunslinger, and lord of ancient lands! I have not come across all the miles and all the years to listen to your childish prating! Do you understand? Now you will listen to ME!”

I hear you brother. In fact, it felt as though I’ve been listening to you ramble for days on end. Damn buddy, I honestly
Stepheny

We are Ka-Tet, we are one from many. We have shared khef. We have travelled alongside one another. We have lost a few of our tet along the way, but we have also gained a few. There’s Jumpin' Jeff (Only the man Jesus knows where he's at!), Rootin' Tootin' Pistol Packin' Ass Whuppin’ Virgin Blood Drinkin' Delee, Calamity Bev who is still plugging along, Kid Colt Karly, Bloody Black Kit Kat (who was sorely missed for this read!), Bronco Bustin Black Jack(in') Jason who was fashionably late, Dastard
Category: A book with more than 500 pages

3 Stars

Unfortunately Kat could not join me on this journey, but keep heart…. Jeff, Stepheny, Dan 2.0 and Delee all ventured along.

King’s Wizard and Glass is a great example of when a story within a story gets really carried away with itself. About 500 of the 718 pages are Roland’s backstory rather than present day story of the search for the elusive ‘dark tower’. This is the story of Susan…. And Cuthbert… and Alain. This is the story of how Roland became
Kyriakos Sorokkou
DTProject2017 | Book 4

What a ride

The 2nd longest book in the series, after the last one, and my favourite; the last one comes next.

This book starts exactly where the 3rd book stopped, a massive cliffhanger.
And everything that happens in it takes place in less than 1-2 days.
Out of the 845 pages, 219 of them (25.91%) are the actual story and
out of the 845 pages, 626 of them (74.08%) are the (story within a story), the tale of Roland's youth, the one he narrates to them in the course of one nigh
Leo .
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this series years ago, great books. Just watched the film with Idris Alba too.

The film is actually quite good. 🐯👍
Jason Parent
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, fantasy
The Wizard and the Glass had to piss a lot of people off when it came out. The book is 95% a story from Roland's past - a tale the intertwines several genres including western, romance, and fantasy. And it proves Stephen King can do it all.

This backstory is in many ways far better than the main plot line. It had suspense, excellent plotting and pacing, a plethora of well-developed characters - everything about it was perfect... well, except my only complaint about the book (view spoiler)
Edward Lorn
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Char
I am ditching this audio re-read of Wizard and Glass. This narrator is just not for me. I'm going to go ahead and reserve the next book in the series, because the narration goes back to George Guidall. He did the audiobook of The Gunslinger and I just loved it.
I will leave my rating as it stands, as I did so love this book.
Ashley Daviau
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly love this book more and more each time I read it. When I started my Dark Tower journey for the first time as a teen, I was constantly wondering through books 1-3 what had happened to Susan and Alain and Cuthbert and so when this book came along, I was provided with such a feeling of satisfaction.

I know we don't get the full story on all three characters yet, but Susan was always the one I was most curious about as she's still so present in Roland's life many years later. And since it
Cindy Newton
I see that the ratings on this book vary among my friends. Some gave it an enthusiastic five stars, others, two or three resentful stars. I am reading this book years after original publication, so I am not a victim of the anguish suffered by those who did endure the wait. I can imagine their disappointment, though. Even without my emotions and anticipation raised to a fever pitch by years of waiting, I was disappointed.

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

Okay, so SK felt that the story of Roland's past need
Brian
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
King may be the master of horror and suspense, but his work as a romance novelist is a failure.

The main story of The Dark Tower goes off the rails (yes, pun intended for those who have read this) and wallows in 500 pages of Roland's backstory - a young-love yarn with a sprinkling of occasional action that just didn't work on any level. King wrote like he was getting paid by the word (He was very frightened. Very frightened indeed.) - and the whole ridiculous Wizard of Oz story tie-in just smack

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Dark Tower: Treachery
  • Roadwork
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, #3)
  • Charlie the Choo-Choo
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Dreamsongs, Volume II
  • Everville (Book of the Art #2)
  • The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide
  • Night Visions 5
  • Prentice Alvin (Tales of Alvin Maker, #3)

The Dark Tower (8 books)
  • The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
  • The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)
“True love, like any other strong and addicting drug, is boring — once the tale of encounter and discovery is told, kisses quickly grow stale and caresses tiresome… except, of course, to those who share the kisses, who give and take the caresses while every sound and color of the world seems to deepen and brighten around them. As with any other strong drug, true first love is really only interesting to those who have become its prisoners.
And, as is true of any other strong and addicting drug, true first love is dangerous.”
275 likes
“If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone” 160 likes