Start by marking “The Mongrel” as Want to Read:
The Mongrel

The Mongrel

NOMINATED FOR 2019 SPLATTERPUNK AWARD

Stranded deep in the mountains, Erin Greene finds herself in a battle for survival against the extreme cold. Heavily pregnant and alone, the clock is ticking and giving birth isn’t her only fear, for there is something sinister lurking in the dark hills...

And it is hungry…
Paperback, Second Edition, 183 pages
Published June 5th 2020 by Uafás Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mongrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mongrel

Start your review of The Mongrel
Sadie Hartmann
2.5 stars! (rounded up for Goodreads)
Thank you so much to the author for sending all 7 of us Night Worms copies of this book all the way from Ireland to read & review honestly.
Something about O'Connor's natural storytelling ability is extremely compelling. This novella is about 150 pages long and I'd say for the first 75 pages or so, I was hooked in and swept up in such a way that doesn't happen very often. I'd even go as far as to describe it as having the words on the page almost completely me
Johann (jobis89)
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following yet another argument, Erin and Philip decide to go on a drive up to Erin's favourite place as a child, the Wicklow Mountains. With a blizzard on the way, the couple are left with no fuel and so Philip heads off for help, leaving his pregnant fiancee alone.

This was such a compelling novella! O’Connor’s writing is very engaging and his dialogue between the characters felt very real – especially the different phrases used by the Irish characters (I would know *smug face*). I really want
Mindi
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was sent to the Night Worms review group by the author in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars

There are parts of this novella that really worked for me, and then there were parts that had me scratching my head. Trigger warnings for domestic abuse of a pregnant woman. Those parts were hard to read, but realistic, and necessary to establish the characters. Once the two main characters, Erin and Philip, find themselves stuck in a blizzard, the story really picked up for me and I couldn
Cody | CodysBookshelf
My thanks to the author for hooking the NightWorms up with copies of this novella in exchange for honest reviews. This is mine.

The Mongrel is really a mixed bag, but I did enjoy reading it. I dig wintertime horror stories, and I dig stories in which a character gets stranded, and this is both of those things.

This short tale is divided into three parts, and part two — in which a pregnant Erin Greene is stuck waiting in the car while her fiancé Phillip goes for help — is the best part. It’s tense,
Alex | | findingmontauk1
4 stars! Had my heart racing a few times. Full review to come!
Emily
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Under a full moon, man can be driven to lunacy."

The Mongrel is the debut novella from Sean O'Connor, and I received a copy to review for Nightworms. I had some mixed feelings on it, but I felt pretty positive overall by the end.

It was difficult to read some of the gaslighting and abuse scenes, particularly abuse of a pregnant woman, so just a warning that it's a factor in this book. I felt like there was a lot of focus on it for such a short novella, and that we could have still grasped the c
books1001
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
📚 BOOK REVIEW 📚
The Mongrel - Sean O’Connor 🤝
First and foremost a Massive thank you to Sean for sending over the signed copy for a honest review! Legend!! 🙌🏼
The Mongrel follows the story of Pregnant Erin and Phillip a married couple living in the outskirts of the city due to Money Stuggles, The marriage is not all that it seems as you learn straight away the toxic relationship that Erin is living.
Due to events that happen Erin and Phillip decide to go for a drive to clear their heads, upon driv
Alex | | findingmontauk1
I have not read many werewolf/wolf books. I need and want to add more creature features to my 2019 reading list; that is definitely a goal of mine! And if the rest are anything like The Mongrel then I know I am in for quite a treat! While this book/novella was short in pages, it was packed with some intense scenes. The isolation, entrapment, and claustrophobia elements were all too real for me here. There are some modern day Cujo vibes here and I am loving it!

There are only a few characters in t
Audra (ouija.reads)
The short page count is perfect for this book—it gets right into the action and doesn't relent. I found the beginning of the story fairly obvious and falling into well-worn story patterns (pregnant girl, abusive guy), so for me, it worked that it moved along quickly and didn't spend too much time digging into cliche.

Where this book really excels is the action in the middle. A woman is alone and enormously pregnant, trapped in a snow storm in a car, and there's something in the woods, watching he
Leah
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I’d like to thank the author for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review. I really loved this novella. It was very original and like nothing I’ve read before. I can’t say too much about that aspect cause it could spoil the story. Sean has a fantastic way with words! The writing was amazing. I would have loved a little more background story about Erin’s father and his business. But that didn’t take anything away from the story. This a great quick read just in time for Halloween ...more
Ashley (spookishmommy)
Thank you, Sean O'Connor for the free copy of The Mongrel in exchange for an honest review!

I cant recall if I've ever read a werewolf horror story before but this was a good start! It had just enough foreboding and cringy parts that of course I loved even though they made my stomach churn a bit. Some of the dialog was a bit awkward to me but O'Connor sure knows how to write a villain. I certainly hated Philip.
Red Lace Reviews
Erin Greene's relationship with her partner could be better, yet despite the many arguments and physical altercations, she's determined to make it work with the father of her unborn child. Going out on a drive with the intention of quality time to themselves, Erin and Phil are left stranded in a snowstorm, yet the cold's not the only thing to worry about. It's possible they just might be surrounded by wolves.

(WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers.)

Despite being just over a hundred pages,
FanFiAddict
6.5/10

Full review to come
Lisa Whelan
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so before I tell you about this book..... If a book has wolves in it I’m probably going to like it, if it’s a scary story I’m probably going to like it and if it’s set somewhere I recognize and can relate to I’m probably going to enjoy it..... TICK TICK TICK this did not disappoint!

Stranded deep in the mountains,
Erin Greene finds herself in a battle for survival against the extreme cold.
Heavily pregnant and alone, the clock is ticking and giving birth isn't her only fear,
for there is some
Steve Stred
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews!**

I’m going to shout this from the rooftop from now until I lose my voice; I LOVE WEREWOLVES!! In books, movies, real life (they exist right?), everywhere! I absolutely love all things Were. Why? Because they scare the crap out of me.

The Mongrel has been on my periphery of ‘must-reads’ but I simply haven’t gotten around to it. When it was offered up as a potential for review, I jumped at the chance. Wouldn’t you? Ok, so maybe you don’t like werew
Jamie
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars, Rounded up for GoodReads

THE MONGREL was a fast-paced read that drew me in rather quickly. Once I started reading it, I found myself flipping the pages continuously to find out what came next. (Had I not been interrupted by the anxiety and stress surrounding current events, it’s likely I’d have finished this book in one sitting). Prior to this novella, I’d only read one of Seán’s short stories. After reading two pieces now, I can tell you that I enjoy his storytelling style and look fo
Stephen
3 1/2 out of 5

*Review taken from my blog, The Horror Club.*

I’ve always said that reading and reviewing debut works can be tricky. The reason is that the author intends to focus on being over-decriptive (style over substance) in the way that they tell the story, and as a result, the core essence can get lost. It’s something they learn to master as their career progresses. When it comes to Sean O’Connor’s The Mongrel, it’s no different, but only to a certain point, thankfully.

The novella tells the
Jackie Cowgill (LanternsJourney)
The Mongrel is a novella that starts off with a rough relationship and a road trip. It is my third werewolf read of the year and I loved it! It was so well written, even though it started off similar to many other horror stories, that I kept turning the pages. It's split into three parts and the second part blew me away. I dont want to go into details.

It was into the third part when I started to panic- I wanted more werewolves. I wanted more background information. I understand it's a novella,
J.D Wheeldon
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally picked up this book after seeing it fluttering around Instagram. I have to say the scene building is excellent here, without drivelling on, the author builds a brilliant picture of each scene and fills it with tense, graphic imagery and high strung action. The characters are very well fleshed out for a short novella and, as a reader, you have a clear idea of each ones motivations, drives and personality. This book reads well and I devoured it in less than 3 days (I'm normally a painful ...more
Jessica
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stranded in the Wicklow mountains after their car runs out of fuel, Philip leaves his pregnant fiancée Erin to go in search of a service station. A blizzard warning becomes a reality and Erin finds herself alone with a dead phone and no food. Her worst fears happen when she goes in to labour. She is injured, isolated but not alone as a sinister hungry wolf is keeping watch.
This dark novella is intense! The birthing scene is so real and had me holding my breath! I was really rooting for Erin
The Horror Club
*3 1/2 out of 5.*

The novella tells the story of Erin Greene, who finds herself t
Siân Plummer (plumreads__s)
This review first appeared on scifiandscary.com

A fast-paced novella about survival, with themes of domestic abuse.

For me, this novella was a mix of positive and negatives, and overall, I liked the idea of the story.

Erin, a heavily pregnant woman on the verge of giving birth, and boyfriend Phillip, go for a drive to the Wicklow Mountains following yet another argument. The sense of foreboding and foreshadowing is great here and Erin’s ‘nags’ about having enough petrol in the car just make you ins
Carissa Lynn Reads
On the outskirts of Dublin City, a young couple's relationship hangs by a thread. Isolated and stressed, disputes turn physical, leaving a pregnant Erin Greene in a poor state of mental health, and Philip Montague wanting an escape. They decide to go on a drive and head for Erin's favorite place as a child, the Wicklow Mountains.
However, a simple oversight leaves them both stranded, with no fuel and a blizzard due.
With no other choice, Philip heads off to the nearest town in search of help, le
Kia
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2019
I’ve wanted to read The Mongrel since @jobis89 first posted about it, so when @soconnorauthor posted that only a few first edition paperback copies were still available, I officially broke my self-imposed book buying ban for the first time this year. It came in today’s mail, and as soon as my tiny human was in bed, I started reading and didn’t move until I finished.

It was a very quick read, due only in part to the actual length of the novella. The pace is perfect, jumping into the meat of the s
lee_readsbooks
This book was such a strong starter.
The protagonists being Erin Greene and Philip Montague. I was unsure if we, the reader, were supposed to dislike Philip in the beginning but he definitely came off extremely aggressive and immediately the toxicity of their relationship is quite obvious.

They transition to a different location quite quickly as they have been traveling in a car but here is where there are just too many coincidences for me. I started to predict things before they happened.

I see wh
Gloria
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's great to read a book with a real female protagonist in it. Erin Greene is a character with substance and depth, a confused young woman trapped between her over protective father and over bearing boyfriend, trying to do the best for her unborn child in the midst of ever mounting danger.

O'Connors prose is suspenseful and engaging, you are with Erin through every moment, every twists - and there are a few. A surreal novella that can easily be devoured in one sitting. I look forward to seeing
jude_reads_books
This book is a debut novella from Irish author. And wow!! For a debut it’s an amazing story. I read it in one sitting as it had me gripped from start to finish. This is the ultimate story of survival. A woman left stranded in a snow storm....pregnant.....in the mountains, what a hero that woman is! But you have to read the story to really find out how heroic she is. The mother in me is not ok 😭😭
Amazing!!
Sarah Granger
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book....till the very end of it. I was a tad disappointed by the end of it but on a whole I would recommend it, it kept me hooked throughout, always excited to see what happened next.
Liz Sanchez
Just finished The Mongrel. I loved it, if you enjoy werewolf books I definitely recommend this one. I'm looking forward on to reading more of Sean's work ...more
Ayden Perry
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
🐺 review of The Mongrel by @__seanoconnor 🐺
“𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚍𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚟𝚎𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚘𝚜𝚝 𝚋𝚎𝚊𝚞𝚝𝚒𝚏𝚞𝚕 𝚖𝚞𝚜𝚒𝚌 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚙 𝚞𝚜𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚘𝚜𝚝 𝚜𝚘𝚞𝚕 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚎𝚡𝚝 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍.”
Thank you so much for this gifted copy (new cover + added bonus) @__seanoconnor ! You’ve definitely gained a new fan with this writing and I’ve already ordered the weeping season! 😍
You know those books where you see your fears and you pat it on the head like “oh hello dear, there you are”. I think back to th

• Devil's Creek
  • Subhuman (Unit 51 #1)
  • Night of the Mannequins
  • Dead Stripper Storage
  • The Soul Stealer
  • Burning Angel (Dave Robicheaux, #8)
  • Highways to Hell
  • The Lightning Rod (Escape Artist, #2)
  • Movieland (Eve Ronin, #4)
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • Come with Me
  • When it Rains
  • Under Orders (Sid Halley, #4)
  • Fate of the Jedi: Outcast (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #1)
  • Determined to Stand and Fight: The Battle of Monocacy, July 9, 1864 (Emerging Civil War Series)
  • Lowland Rider
  • Dark Factory
SEÁN O’CONNOR is an award-nominated author, primarily known for his work in Horror and Dark Fiction. He and his family currently reside in Dublin, Ireland.

News & Interviews

This is a fun one: For the collection below, we decided to take a long-arc overview and try to identify the most popular books published over...