Start by marking “Once More Upon a Time” as Want to Read:
Once More Upon a Time

Once More Upon a Time

A dazzling fairy tale about falling in love again by the New York Times best-selling author of The Star-Touched Queen and The Gilded Wolves.

Once upon a time, there was a king and queen in a land called Love's Keep who once loved one another, but alas, no more. Without love, they were doomed to be ousted from their kingdom at the end of a year and a day.

A year and a day pas
Audible Audio, 4 pages
Published June 4th 2020 by Audible

To ask other readers questions about Once More Upon a Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once More Upon a Time

Start your review of Once More Upon a Time
Merphy Napier
Jun 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: three-stars, romance
It was fine. Everything went exactly as I expected it to. Sweet and a nice fun story but pretty formulaic and nothing surprising or new
Christy
I probably should have DNF'd this one... I usually like listening to audio over reading, but this one might have been better if I could have read it. Honestly, I was pretty bored. ...more
Alaina
This was pretty cute.

Once More Upon a Time definitely made me smile a lot. It was honestly a really cute book to listen to and I wanted to see where everything was going to go. If I could change one thing, it would be the length. With everything that was happening.. a longer book would've made me a lot happier. Not saying I didn't enjoy this book one bit - because I really did.

Imelda and Ambrose were really cute together. I mean these two went through a lot and their adventure, in a way, brought
aarya
2020 Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo: ‪Accidentally in Wilderness‬

This is delightful. Very fun and romantic fairytale novella about no-longer-in-love married royals falling in love on an enchanted road trip. There is an off-page sex scene and an on-page removing of a bodice before they jump into bed! Romance readers, what else do you need?

I'm struggling to categorize the genre. It's a fairytale/fantasy romance but it reads like YA (that bodice part was like 2 seconds and then it's fade-to-black).
Erin
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it

This was just a straight up entertaining fairy tale story where our main characters Imelda and Ambrose, a royal couple pair have to find out if they really want to spend happily ever after together. Like any good fairytale there are witches, animal sidekicks and magic all around. A novella, the audiobook experience features chapters from both protagonists and is filled with hilarity and romance.

Goodreads review published 27/10/20
nidhi :)
Aug 17, 2020 added it
Shelves: via-audiobook
indian 🇮🇳 readathon book #1 ✅

i’m not rating it bc listening to audiobooks significantly decreases my enjoyment level always and its so annoying :(

i’ve read all of roshani chokshi’s work! she’s always an author i come back for, even if none of her books are like my fav books ever. she writes phenomenal characters and the love they have for each other is so intense. i love her humor and can’t wait to read more of her works <3
Bethany
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
A cute, somewhat tongue-in-cheek take on a fairytale romance, Once More Upon a Time is perfect if you need something light and bite-sized. I read this after a heavier book and it was a perfect palate cleanser for my reading. It follows a king and queen who have lost their love because of a witch and are doomed to leave their castle after a year and a day. Instead, they go on a journey to gain what each of them most want and along the way fall in love again. It's not reinventing the wheel, but it ...more
The Nerd Daily
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Anuska G

Once More Upon a Time is a brand new audio novella from Audible Originals. It follows the story of a royal couple who had to sacrifice their love for each other, and are now stuck in a loveless marriage. They end up undertaking a dangerous quest for a witch that may or may not awaken lost feelings in them.

According to Chokshi, the story is loosely inspired by the Irish story of Diarmuid and Gráinne. Imelda and Ambrose rule a land called
Jaime Arkin
Jun 27, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars- this was a quick and cute read - in classic Chokshi style there were lots of strange but fantastical creatures and I enjoyed the slight jabs at the standard fairytale stories. I chuckled often and enjoyed the story!
Tom Chubby
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How did I not know about this?
Cori
Once More Upon a Time was one of my free Audible originals for the month of June. Unfortunately, I wish I had gone with the heist original instead.

Pros:
1) I love that the story was based around a marriage, and the message was that love can be found again.
2) Some of the romance elements and scenes were written very well.

Cons:
1) The male narrator's female voices were awful. I mean...I almost shut it off the first time I heard it. If you have watched the Jumanji sequels and remember how over th
Katia
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a nice, quick listen. I’ve been having migraines so sometimes my only option is listening to an audiobook so I can rest my eyes, and I stumbled upon this. It’s a very light book. I found it endearing and even found myself laughing out loud in some parts. In general, it was just a really cute story about a second chance at love. I liked the two main characters. I loved their backstories and how all their actions were driven by their experiences. It’s probably not my favorite bo ...more
Maida
And they lived Hopefully Ever After.

A tale as old as time cleverly retold with a snarky contemporary spin. Utterly engaging and achingly romantic, this story is fit for a screen adaptation as well. The writing is fluid and the production is top-notch. Both narrators were fabulous but I kind of wished they did it duet style. That would have taken the audiobook into a higher level of audio movie experience.
Melissa
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a cute little short story that was one of the free offerings for audible members this month. There aren't a lot of bells and whistles here. There isn't a lot of depth or layers to this story. It's a fairy tale romance where a prince and princess are forced by a witch to forget the feelings they have for one another as a condition for the witch saving the princess's life. They go a year and a day as virtual strangers, but then go on a week's journey before being granted whatever their dee ...more
Georgia
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, audiobook
I expected more...
karli
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
2/5 stars!

This unfortunately was just not for me. Honestly, I don't know if it was the story or just how much I hated to audiobook effects.
Alan Teder
Anti-Fairytale
Review of the Audible Original audiobook (June 2020

I could admire some of the subversive elements of Once More Upon a Time which takes tropes of the fairy tale / fantasy genre and turns them around. Instead of a 'happily ever after' we have a falling out of love tale where the journey is centred on reuniting the couple. Parts of it just seemed annoying though, such as the Run Lola Run start with alternate versions before we get going. The names of the protagonists just sound wrong:
Marianne
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Vikas Adams was a joy to listen to as always, but..

All I could think about when I read this story, was Imelda Marcos

Yvonne Olson
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Three things drew me in to this audiobook: 1. Roshani Chokshi, 2. Audiobook, 3. Fairytale.
And let me tell ya, it delivered everything I wanted.

Roshani has the ability to construct the most beautiful story that hits every point I need. Her characters are easy to meet, the settings are easy to envision, and the dialogue feels so natural.

This book is written specifically to be read aloud, and that added such an interesting dynamic!

I loved this so much and am a little sad with how short it is.
C.L. Cannon
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute little tale with plenty of tongue in cheek humor and a great moral lesson about love and the different ways it can be lost, found, and renewed. I laughed out loud several times and spent most of the story with a huge smile plastered across my face! I'll definitely be checking out more books by this author! ...more
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well made Audible original production. A fairy tale about love, how it can be lost but also be found again. I liked how the story was sweet, funny, entertaining, and also had a message that seemed very meaningful to me. Wish I had that coat.
Jyotsna
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short and cute! It reminded me a lot of the enchanted Forest chronicles by Patricia C Wrede. Funny, with a great female lead.
Thomas
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
An okay little romantic fairytale that could be a really terrific one if it were about three times as long and had enough time for proper world-building and character arcs. If you’re not as attached to those aspects of storytelling as I am, you might really like this one.
Anna Taylor
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up. This book was really good! The plot was a tad predictable but I loved the unique tone and the colorful descriptions. The story is very charming and pretty original while still drawing on well known fairytale elements. It's a bit hard to get into at first, but you get invested in the characters and really hope for them to fall in love once again. All three narrators were great, though I wish the two mains had portrayed a bit more emotion. The side characters were well writte ...more
Bree Lauren
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-audible
This is a super short Audible exclusive fairytale about a king who trades the love between himself and his queen in exchange for life. The story begins a year and a day later when they realize that just because their love was taken away, doesn’t mean they can’t find their way back to it.

I originally rated this book 3 stars because I felt like it was just meh. I didn’t really like the way the story was told, it felt very juvenile, though I know that was the intent. It was told like a fairytale.

As
Tova
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
This was not it. I was insanely bored, not really invested in the story and I was kind of disappointed with the whole role the honey badger played, but I did really like the sassy horse cloak. I normally love Roshani's books so I think this was just kind of a miss for me. IDK. I'm sad and disappointed. ...more
a r i a n a
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5☆ audible original from June 2020.
Super cute fairy tale for teens/adults to enjoy. Loved the humor and the narration was really good as well. Hope that those who got a hand on it enjoyed it as well.
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! Fun and funny! And I loved the different characters in the book.
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible
Clever enough idea I suppose but I found the whole production quite cheesy. And the harp between chapters grated on my every last nerve.
Dulma
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this cute little story. I wasn't expecting much out of a 3+ hour audiobook but this book certainly managed to deliver. I felt that nostalgic, familiar feeling of being back in my childhood, a little girl reading her favourite fairytales all over again, the ambience one of whimsy, romance, magic and hopefulness.
Imelda, Ambrose and the horse that's a cloak (... Or a cloak that's a horse?) were just so dang adorable, funny and likeable. I mostly found myself grinning through many parts of

• Henrietta & Eleanor: A Retelling of Jekyll and Hyde
  • Stuck
  • Coming Out Party
  • The Real Sherlock
  • The Cuckoo's Cry
  • Forget Nothing (Galaxy's Edge #0.4)
  • Inside Jobs: Tales from a Time of Quarantine
  • The Flying Flamingo Sisters
  • Nut Jobs: Cracking the Case
  • The Roommate (Cormac Reilly, #0.7)
  • How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps
  • Letters From Camp
Roshani Chokshi is the author of commercial and critically acclaimed books for middle grade and young adult readers that draws on world mythology and folklore. Her work has been nominated for the Locus and Nebula awards, and has frequently appeared on Best of The Year lists from Barnes and Noble, Forbes, Buzzfeed and more. Her New York Times bestselling series includes The Star-Touched Queen duolo ...more