Start by marking “Gerard (The Aerowyn Tales Book One)” as Want to Read:
Gerard (The Aerowyn Tales Book One)

Gerard (The Aerowyn Tales Book One)

Two brothers
Two curses
One lesson

In this retelling of a tale as old as time, the enchantress Aerowyn curses and separates two beastly brothers, Gerard and Antoine, to punish them for their selfishness and cruelty. Having learned the truth about his cursed past, Gerard must now face his demons of jealousy, bitterness, and obsessive lost love to move forward.

With the help o
Paperback
Published July 12th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Gerard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gerard

Start your review of Gerard (The Aerowyn Tales Book One)
Dawn Reed
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this story! The tale was, indeed, familiar while still being completely new. Even though we think we know the story, and thus how it will end, because of the twists of the retell, it was not predictable. This book is the first in a trilogy. Although the ending indicates that part of the story line will continue into book two, this is a stand alone story that feels complete.

In my opinion, the author's strength is her descriptions. She uses varied, specific vocabulary, allowin
Megan Wors
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a loose retelling of Beauty and The Beast from the perspective of Gaston and it was exactly what I hoped for! I have always wanted to know the background for his character, because I always suspected he had PTSD and War Trauma and I loved reading Carla’s perspective on it. It has the type of ending I always look for in books too, so that was an added bonus! The great thing about Carla’s books is that they are suitable for a wide age range as well.
Joanna Bennett
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Thank you to the author for sending me a copy to review! All opinions are my own.

I was really intrigued by this series because its a retelling of the classic Beauty and the Beast but with more Gaston, aka Gerard!

In this book, there is a lot of backstory for Gerard and I really liked that. In the Disney version we get nothing besides him being full of himself and that’s about it. I mean, I do like Gaston but Gerard definitely takes the cake for me.

It’s easy to pick out the little details from oth
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this for an honest review. I knew when I started that it would not be a typical beauty and the beast retelling. I have laughed at our main character. Carla has his arrogant attitude down. Our beast isn't a typical beast. I don't want to spoil anything. There are so many things that I love about the plot twist. I can't wait to see whats next. ...more
Kat
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Gerard is based on Disney’s version of Beauty and the Beast. Since it’s my second favorite Disney movie (seriously, as a reader, it’s all about that library), I was really excited to read it. I wasn’t sure of what to expect or how far it would be inspired by the movie, but I loved how it took everything I was familiar with and gave it its own spin.

The Plot: A Delightful Spin on a Familiar Story
In France, Gerard de la Rose and his twin brother Antoine are the spoiled children of wealthy nobles. T
Julie Embleton
Aug 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Carla Reighard brings an interesting twist to the retelling of Beauty and the Beast in the first of this series. Gerard tells the story from Gaston’s perspective, with his PTSD following war driving his actions and emotions. Despite the fairytale happenings at the centre of this story, Gerard’s trauma keeps it rooted in reality and adds to the strength of this tale.

I enjoyed discovering Reighard’s twists on the original story and how she gave some of the characters a chance to get their say in,
Linda Lou
Gerard is the first of the Aerowyn Tales that takes the reader on a fantastical journey. Yes, there are bits and pieces of a bizarre retelling of Beauty and the Beast towards the end; but it’s the journey of getting there that had me captivated and turning the pages. Gerard is way more than a simple retelling of a fairy tale.

The Preface is exactly that and it gives the reader a heads up of what to expect from Aerowyn, the beautiful and elusive enchantress. Gerard is her focus for lots of reasons
Medmar60
Sep 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this beauty and the beast retelling! It is about two brothers who are forced with the choice of learning compassion and kindness verses continuing a life of spoiled, rich arrogance. With the help of a aristocrat turned poor barmaid, the main character, Gerard, is forced to face his demons to find who he truly is. -This book is great for middle school and young adults alike. Found myself loving and hating Gerard, rooting for the true him to show!! I definitely didn't expect the twists at ...more
Lilli Taylor
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a really cool retelling of Beauty and the Beast, and gave us some insight on why Gerard (Gaston) acts as arrogantly as he does. I liked how this novel had many similarities to Beauty and the Beast but also had its own characteristics. It was a quick read, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes fairytale retellings. I’m looking forward to the rest of the series!
Chels
Oct 06, 2020
Catherine
Aug 19, 2020
Kasey Connors-Beron
Aug 19, 2020
Carla Reighard
Sep 15, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Chels
Nov 06, 2020

• All Rhodes Lead Here
  • Bella Cigna
  • The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
  • Knight's Ransom (The First Argentines, #1)
  • As Old as Time
  • We Could Be Heroes
  • Of Magpies and Men
  • Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
  • Black Smoke: a novella
  • Summoned (Demon Summoner Trilogy, #1)
  • The Love Square
  • The Frozen Crown (Warrior Witch, #1)
  • Riley Thorn and the Dead Guy Next Door (Riley Thorn, #1)
  • Dragonflies at Night
  • Resurrecting Ravana (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #13)
  • Charting Stars Graphic Novel
  • A Spark of Joy
Author: Books inspired by love for travel | cats | pop culture | music | snow | dessert
Dream big & work hard: tomorrow isn’t guaranteed

News & Interviews

While we don’t have any actual science to back this up, experience suggests that the most voracious readers on Earth are YA readers. It’s...