Start by marking “In Search of a Homeland: The Story of the Aeneid” as Want to Read:
In Search of a Homeland: The Story of the Aeneid

In Search of a Homeland: The Story of the Aeneid

A glorious gift book from an award-winning storyteller and a much lauded illustrator, who evoke the high drama of mythical Greece and the prehistory of Rome in this retelling of "The Aeneid."
Taking his old father on his back and his young son by the hand, Aeneas flees the sacked city of Troy, entrusted by his goddess-mother, Venus, with a daunting mission: Find a new home
Published October 1st 2001 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about In Search of a Homeland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Search of a Homeland

Start your review of In Search of a Homeland: The Story of the Aeneid
booklady
Jan 29, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2005, 2020
Read this along with our last reading of The Aeneid fifteen years ago and again now. It helped me understand it then and now. The artwork in this is quite beautiful.

Jon
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I was eager to read this book once I realized it existed--the Aeneid is a very important work to me, and I've read several of Penelope Lively's novels with great admiration. But I'm not sure what to say about this effort. She attempts to present the gist of the Aeneid for young readers (how young? The story seems too adult for anyone under about 14, but the oversized format--9x11 inches--makes it seem like a book for very young children.) Lively doesn't write down to them, she writes with dignit ...more
Terri
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
The author, Penelope Lively, does for the Aeneid what Rosemary Sutcliff does for the Iliad and the Odyssey: makes it understandable to a grade school student.

It is the story of Aeneas very well told and the color pencil drawings by Ian Andrew are vivid and beautiful.

We appreciated the map at the back of the book detailing the sites traditionally associated with the voyages of Aeneas. And following that is a pronunciation guide for the Greek and Latin names so that read aloud you don't have to st
Michelle
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I read this together and found it to be an excellent book to read aloud. The chapters are sized well for daily reading. The beautiful tale is abridged and made appropriate for children of all ages. An excellent introduction to an ancient story.
Paula
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro no me gustó nada. Me pareció demasiado largo y lioso.
Andrés
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trojan-cycle
A good adaptation for kids.
Gabrielle Fu
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was great! There was so much hope and it makes you feel like like rooting for Aeneas the entire way through. Aeneas also doesn't act as bad a some other Greek/Roman heroes do.
Katie
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad book by any means, but the Rosemary Sutcliffe versions of Homer that we read earlier this year spoiled me, I think. I wish there was a similarly beautiful adaptation of the Aeneid.
Amy Meyers
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent retelling of the Aeneid, nice illustrations. Won't have my child read the chapter on Dido and Aenaus because it won't help their moral imaginations. I'm sure it was true to Virgil, but didn't like it.
Manning
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
This is an abridged version of Virgil's Aeneid. Aeneas is the son of Venus. He was a Trojan warrior living in Troy. He woke up one night with a vision that the fall of Troy was coming. When he went outside, he saw that the Greeks were flooding in and a great battle was happening. He went to go save his father, Anchises, and family. At first, they would not leave their city, but soon they had to along with many other Trojans. His wife was killed in action. They escaped to many lands, such as an i ...more
Julie
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, family-read
A children's version of Virgil's The Aeneid. I picked up this book, because I want to listen to The Aeneid (after Lars' intersting review!)and I thought this would be a good quick overview of the story. Similar to The Iliad and The Odyssey, it is an epic story of how the Greek gods are beings with supernatural powers, but the jealousies and emotions of mere mortals. This book is the story of how the Trojans are fated to flee after their defeat in the Trojan War and start a new nation in Rome. Ho ...more
Angela
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Like, The Odyssey, The Search for a Homeland expertly shows what happens to key players in the Trojan War as they leave Troy and search for home. This story, about Aeneas, tells of soldiers who fled Troy and, hearing a prophesy, search for the land where they will eventually found Rome, therefore starting a great nation. I'm not used to reading Roman myths and wished I had a handy reference for Greek/Roman character names. The art in this book is beautiful and spurred more reading. I appreciate ...more
Teri
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
I read this with my 9-year old son for homeschool and we both really enjoyed it. It was a terrific sequel for The Children's Homer by Padraic Colum. The Aeneid picks up where the fall of Troy leaves off. It's the story of the founding of the great Roman Empire, only this version is child-friendly. This is a great way to introduce kids to the stories, so that when they tackle the real Aeneid by Virgil later on, they will already have some familiarity with it.
Tweedledum
A lovely superbly illustrated retelling of the Aeneid story by a master storyteller. Wish I had had this when my boys were small. It grieves me that I obtained this beautiful book for a song because a public LIBRARY had discarded it! We are living in a crazy world where children's heads are being filled with tales such as The Legend of Herobrine! And ancient powerful stories that have stood the test of time are being abandoned.
Tim
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, politics
Lively's retelling of Virgil's classic is a wonderful read. The story is, well, the Aeneid. So, it's great. The illustrations are fun and the kids really liked them (so did I). Got little ones? Get this and read it. I love introducing my little ones to the classic books in a way that is accessible. I used to tell them Homer's and Virgil's stories before bed from memory... this method is WAY better.
Megan Franks
While I preferred reading the original text (Robert Fitzgerald's translation), this is a fairly detailed retelling of the classic epic, The Aeneid. The illustrations were fair (I would have preferred something other than pencil sketches), but were welcome visual aids. A good book to use in order to introduce older elementary students or younger middle school students to the story. ...more
A.K. Klemm
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This didn't speak to us as wonderfully as Black Ships Before Troy and The Odyssey picture book adaptations - not because Penelope Lively isn't great, but because I think we don't care as much for Virgil as we do Homer. Both kiddo and I were relieved to be done with it, but are still happy to own it and packed it away to be re-read in four years when we revisit the Ancient eras in our studies.
Mrs
Jan 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
A whirlwind. Not enough detail.
Physically awkward: it's a very large book even though it's a novel.
Denise
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
The illustrations were lovely.
Lucas
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
a truly extraordinary and educational (roman myths) adventure!
John
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reading with Katherine, we're both enjoying it.
Steve Hemmeke
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good illustrations and adaptation of the story.
Great for acquainting children or adults with some Greek mythology
Sally Ewan
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a retelling of the Aeneid. I wasn't crazy about the illustrations, but thought it was a decent version.

Becky Hintz
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Best illustrated version of the Aeneid I've found. This wasn't quite as good as Sutcliff's retellings of The Iliad and The Odyssey, but still very well done.
Dawn Roberts
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great, detailed retelling of the Aeneid for elementary. Beautiful illustrations.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous read for my kids and I as we have been studying this time period.
Nuria Tejeiro

• Archimedes and the Door of Science
  • The Ch'i-lin Purse: A Collection of Ancient Chinese Stories
  • The Young Reader's Shakespeare: Othello
  • Graphic Classics: Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • Who Was William Shakespeare?
  • Hamlet (The Young Reader's Shakespeare)
  • The Young Reader's Shakespeare: Macbeth
  • Tales from Shakespeare
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Maple Mayhem (Sugar Grove Mystery, #2)
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of the Odyssey
Penelope Lively is the author of many prize-winning novels and short-story collections for both adults and children. She has twice been shortlisted for the Booker Prize: once in 1977 for her first novel, The Road to Lichfield, and again in 1984 for According to Mark. She later won the 1987 Booker Prize for her highly acclaimed novel Moon Tiger.

Her other books include Going Back; Judgement Day; Nex