Start by marking “World Wide Waste - How digital is killing our planet—And what we can do about it” as Want to Read:
World Wide Waste -  How digital is killing our planet—And what we can do about it

Digital is physical. Digital is not green. Digital costs the Earth. Every time I download an email I contribute to global warming. Every time I tweet, do a search, check a webpage, I create pollution. Digital is physical. Those data centers are not in the Cloud. They’re on land in massive physical buildings packed full of computers hungry for energy. It seems invisible. It ...more
Published April 22nd 2020 by Silver Beach Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about World Wide Waste - How digital is killing our planet—And what we can do about it

Start your review of World Wide Waste - How digital is killing our planet—And what we can do about it
Paul van Buuren
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Elke mail, elke tweet, elke foto die je stuurt verbruikt energie. Je merkt er niks van en wellicht denk je er niet aan. Maar ondertussen stijgt het energieverbruik van datacentra. Het is hoog tijd om eens goed na te denken over ons achteloos gebruik van 'Digital'.
Alex
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you work in digital or use digital tools daily, care about the environment and love data, you should read Gerry's book World Wide Waste.
A real eye-opener on how digital impacts the environment and what we can do to help reduce that impact.
Gerry uses data, lots of data, to support his claims, which he does pretty much a central element in his work.
Hopefully, this will make you think about how you can change your digital habits, be it by reducing your useless data, think before sharing heavy d
Christopher Strebel
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
World Wide Waste is a “A real eye opener” and a must read! Many people who joined web and digital in the early dot com years did so to transform the world into a more efficient place, where getting rid of paper translated into helping the environment. Unfortunately, this turned into a habit of saving everything online and in clouds.

Gerry's book explains how dangerous and harmful to the environment this. He explains how we need to think of our digital lifestyle and change digital habits, be it b
Laurent Bobdarko
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such an overwhelming, yet underestimated topic.
Digital is everywhere now and it is up to each of us to realize it has a huge environmental impact.
This book presents lots of stats and sources, painting a global view of the situation, as well as best practices.
It is a must-read for anyone, especially if you are working on IT.
It could have been a boring, depressing tale but this is a stimulating call to action.
Matt Hurley
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Andrew Johnson
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a call to arms for people who work in digital without blanket rejection of digital. It embraces the possibility of digital while also exposing its excesses, giving the reader clear action items to make it all better.
Vijay
Jóhann Bergþórsson
Ari Tomasson
Marcus Österberg
Aug 15, 2020

• Design for Cognitive Bias (A Book Apart, #33)
  • Permanent Record
  • Comment tout peut s'effondrer : Petit manuel de collapsologie à l'usage des générations présentes
  • The Case for Degrowth
  • The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
  • On Fire: The Case for the Green New Deal
  • This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • Een beter milieu begint niet bij jezelf
  • De achtbaantester
  • Mijn ontelbare identiteiten
  • Content Design
  • Surfaces and Essences: Analogy as the Fuel and Fire of Thinking
  • Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
  • Connect First: 52 Simple Ways to Ignite Success, Meaning, and Joy at Work
  • The Book of X
  • Content Strategy: Connecting the Dots Between Business, Brand, and Benefits
  • Strategic Writing for UX: Drive Engagement, Conversion, and Retention with Every Word

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »