Start by marking “The Man I Didn’t Marry” as Want to Read:
The Man I Didn’t Marry

The Man I Didn’t Marry

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  106 ratings  ·  27 reviews
What happens when the man she married can’t remember her?

Ellie has the perfect life: a happy marriage, a gorgeous daughter and a baby on the way. But when her husband Max develops amnesia, he forgets everything about the last five years . . . including their relationship.

Now the man she said ‘I do’ to has become a stranger, and she has no idea why. Yet Ellie is determined
Published February 4th 2021 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about The Man I Didn’t Marry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man I Didn’t Marry

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Man I Didn’t Marry
Alison
Ellie and Max are happily married, one little girl, another baby on the way, they have moved back to their home town and a dilapidated old house from London. Then Max loses his memories of the last five years. Suddenly his only memories of Ellie are as his little sister's geeky BFF, who he not so affectionately calls Spider. He doesn't remember that he's no longer talking to his father, or that his sister is gay.

The doctors say that Max could regain his memory any day now, but what if he doesn't
Karschtl
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
4,5 Stars

Ellie had a crush on the brother of her best friend for most of her teenage years. When she sees him again years later, he still calls her by her nerdy nickname - but also likes what's underneath this 'Wonder Woman' costume she is wearing.

In a normal book you would now watch the two protagonist doing the dating-game, probably with some hurdles along the way (and most probably one of them would be a blast from the past).
To some degree this is also what you get in Anna Bell's newest novel
Tara Watson
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Imagine being married to the man of your dreams, a little girl and another baby on the way, and then one day he just completely forgets your whole relationship and just remembers you as his little sister’s best friend. How heartbreaking! 💔

The Man I Didn’t Marry is a one of a kind story like I’ve not read before. I felt so much for Ellie, I remembered those final few weeks of pregnancy and they’re hard, so I couldn’t even begin to imagine how you’d factor in a husband who doesn’t remember the las
Melpomene
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
That's it. No more romance or I'll quit:))) ...more
Sue
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from the first page...... any book that starts with this first sentence - ‘ When deciding to go to Comic Con this year dressed as Wonder Woman, with a very short skirt and tiny corseted top, I had not factored in the possibility that we would end up in a meat market of a club afterwards’ - is a winner as far as I’m concerned! The story picks you up and carries you through until it spits you out at the end, feeling like you’ve lived through an emotional rollercoaster......
The book c
Jeannie Zelos
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Man I Didn’t Marry, Anna Bell

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: romance, women's fiction

And yep, that outdated category once more. Its 2020, not 1820! men write romance, men read romance.....

So, everything is wonderful in Ellie's world, she had a perfect husband, man of her dreams, her best friends brother who she had a crush on for so many years. She never expected that he'd fall in love with her. She felt, still feels, that he's far above her, that she's nothing like the leggy b
Claire
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really liked Anna Bell's writing previously so was delighted to read The Man I Didn't Marry this year.

Imagine being married to your best friend's brother, your school crush, with a daughter and a little one on the way when suddenly he loses his memory and only thinks of you as his little sisters friend. How heartbreaking must that be? The emotions, the turmoil you would go through.

This is where the author excelled and took us along the emotionally journey our protagonist Ellie goes through. T
Nicola Mackenzie-Smaller
I love Anna Bell’s writing. This does not disappoint. Great concept too.
B.S. Casey
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing

Genre: Romance

Release Date: Expected 4th February 2021

It started as a rather embarassing mix up during a comic-con after party ... but then four years later Ellie has the man she'd been dreaming about since she was a teenager and a beautiful growing family. Ever since she'd been awkwardly crushing on her best friends brother in school, she'd thought about him and somehow her dreams really have come true.

Until one day, she's just that awkward teenager again because her husband has no idea who s
Julia
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Man I Didn’t Marry by Anna Bell is a delightful contemporary novel about making memories to last a lifetime.
The storyline is well thought out and executed. Anna Bell has a wonderful light-hearted style set around more serious themes. The exchanges of dialogue and situations were highly amusing, certainly making me chuckle on numerous occasions. All the characters were realistic, kind and loyal.
The main premise surrounds a character who has short term amnesia – the last five years are erased
Tilly Fitzgerald
Mar 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Now this is my kind of comfort read to be enjoyed with a cup of tea and chocolate biscuits!

When Ellie’s husband Max loses his memory not long before she’s due to give birth to their second child, she and his family try to do everything they can to bring back his “old self”, except there are some things which may be better left alone...

This is a lovely, easy read with warm hearted characters to root for, and just enough drama and fun to keep you hooked! There are tender moments to make you smile
Kirsty & Erin Muir
Feb 13, 2021 rated it liked it
The Man I Didn’t Marry is the first novel of @anna_bell_writes that I’ve read - I know, I have no idea where I’ve been either! I received an ARC of this one on @netgalley via @hqstories. ⁣

This latest release is all about young couple Ellie and Max. They’re expecting baby number 2 but what the don’t anticipate is Max developing amnesia and forgetting his whole life with Ellie and their daughter. The story follows the couple as they work through their new situation navigating all the highs and lo
Tea & Cake for the Soul
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Man I Didn’t Marry is a really interesting story and I’ve not come across one covering the subject of memory loss before.

Ellie and Max are happily married with a 2 year old daughter and another on the way. Just as Ellie is about to start her maternity leave, Max suddenly loses his memory from the last 5 years, meaning he doesn’t know that he is now a family man.

Ellie and all their family and friends try to teach Max the lost memories, but there are a few things that they are all keeping secr
Rebecca
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
What happens when your husband becomes a stranger? That's what faces Ellie when her husband Max suddenly forgets the last 5 years of his life. That means he still thinks of her as his little sister's best friend, not his wife and the mother of his children. Ellie has to navigate Max getting to know her again, trying to jog his memory into remembering his current life and finding out things she didn't know about her husband.

It took me a while to get into this book, but the beginning was necessar
Abbie
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shannon
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
So at the beginning I found this book hilarious. The way Ellie and Max were with eachother seemed like the perfect relationship, but this book really highlighted that all is not always as it seems as Ellie soon realises her relationship isn’t as perfect as she thought.

It was heartbreaking thinking someone could wake up one day and forget a massive part of their life. I really felt for Ellie when Max didn’t remember her and I felt at the beginning he didn’t step up and even try. It was really cl
Sara Oxton
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Man I Didn’t Marry Anna Bell a funny four-star read. This was funny and lots lighter than I thought it would be, but it also took me a while to get into and that wasn’t what I thought either, as previously I have just sunk my teeth into this author’s work and not let go till the last page, it could be me and reading at the moment, I just don’t know. I simply adored Ellie and wanted her in my life all the time, the added depth and secrets made this different from what I expected but it also a ...more
Isabell
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting premise with the memory loss. The story of Ellie and Max and how they found each other again was very enjoyable. Ellie and her love and appreciation of nerd culture was my spirit animal. I felt so bad for her having to juggle the amnesia, family secrets, the pregnancy and the potential reality of things not getting back to normal. Max’s growth as a partner and father was lovely to watch. There was a question about what happened to Max which added a little mystery element to t ...more
Claire
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Ellie seemingly has it all, the man of her dreams, a young daughter and a baby on the way. Then suddenly husband Max looses all memory of the last five years, including those of his wife and daughter. Can she help him find those memories and will they rediscover each other along the way?

This is a lovely book, that is very well written. You get to know the characters well as the story develops, they all are very likeable. It’s an easy read and you soon find yourself fully immersed in the story. I
Emma Watson
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I really thought this was an excellent book.

Ellie & Max are married they have a daughter and a baby on the way. Max is Ellie’s best friends brother.

Max is always working and hardly ever spends time with Ellie. Unfortunately something happens to Max when he is meant to be working and loses his memory. He cannot remember the last five years of his life and does not believe he is married to Ellie at first.

Ellie decides to relive some of the dates they had to try and bring back his memories some of
Katie Carlyle
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
I had genuine laugh out loud moments, which is a really difficult thing to achieve, I have high humour standards! I enjoyed the book throughout and there was always something to keep you thinking.

I loved this light-hearted, easy read, and it was the perfect relief for a reading slump I was crawling into before reading this. Loved the characters, the story and the way it was written. A true feel-good romance! Looking forward to reading more of Anna Bell’s books.

Thanks to @netgalley and @hqstorie
Katie Ginger
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was a bit late to the Anna Bell party. I only discovered her writing with We Just Clicked, but as soon as I started that one, I knew I had to catch up on everything I'd missed and getting to read her latest book was a real treat!

The Man I Didn't Marry mixes heartfelt emotion with brilliant touches of humour. The characters were brilliantly flawed but still likeable and the ending was utterly perfect.

An absolutely fantastic story that I would heartily recommend.
Izzie d
Tess Griffin
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, an easy read & the character development is immense! Just what I needed :)
Sonya
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down! ...more
Karen
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Bell's previous book #WeJustClicked - which is one of the funniest books I've read. And as another brilliant light-hearted romantic comedy I loved this one too! Although this was more continuously funny throughout rather than big laugh out loud moments excluding Ellie being mistaken for a stripper, unicorn headbands and the camping kettle incident. Bell's created another great posse of characters from main character Ellie, who's warm, funny and still slightly geeky, to support ...more
Grace
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quick, easy and heartwarming read that I couldn’t put down! Enjoyable from start to end, I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a light read.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Helen Edwards

• Before I Saw You
  • Asking for a Friend
  • How to Save a Life
  • Friends With Benefits
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • Rescue Me
  • The Return
  • Married at First Swipe
  • Love Almost
  • Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)
  • The Spark
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • The Last Goodbye
  • And Now You're Back
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • Find You First
Anna is represented by the Marsh Agency and published by Quercus. 'Don't Tell the Groom' is released in paperback 5th December 2013.

Anna also writes new adult fiction under the pen name Annabel Scott.