Jump to ratings and reviews

That Place Called Home

As children, they were best friends.
​In high school, they became so much more.

Sometimes we need to leave behind what we know—the journey to somewhere, anywhere else calling us onward into the world, and so we go. In time we grow older, wiser, and perhaps more than a little world-weary. Eventually, we realize the most important journey of our life will be making our way back to where we started.

For Breckin Lorry and Mason Miller, returning to their hometown of Cedar Point, Washington wasn’t easy, but healing broken hearts while reconnecting won’t be either.

Can the former sweethearts, who allowed their youthful, impetuous choices and misunderstandings tear them apart, discover the meaning of forgiveness? And if they do, will their reunion as the adults they’ve become be worth the twenty-years it took them to get there?

ebook

13 books49 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
11 (91%)
4 stars
1 (8%)
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Melbelle.
82 reviews
September 12, 2020
This was such a refreshing story in which it starts when they are children as friends. Of course, life always has a way of screwing things up but the souls always find a way back to each other or we hope it does. I loved the ending the most. It settled deep in my feels and made me smile. Troy Duran does an amazing job as always! I am really glad I was able to find this one and listen.
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
AudiobookObsession
AudiobooksUnleashed
Profile Image for Patty.
3,709 reviews25 followers
October 9, 2020
That Place Called Home is perfect feel good listen. There is something to be said to listen to a story that is not new adult love, but that kind of love that stands the test of time. Mason and Brekin are high school sweethearts, destined for that lifetime love...until it's not. Decisions made, miscommunication and assumptions pull this young couple apart to live the life they are meant to have. Now, both back in Cedar Point, they meet again. Will they get over their past? Is their love real? I cannot say enough good things about this book. It's realistic and really hits home. DL Lane writes their story, going back and forth from the past to the present in a way that lets us live their journey and understand their hearts.

Troy Duran enhances this gem with his warm, baritone voice. He brings all the feelings, from hurt and frustration to love and happiness all to life. It's a pleasure to listen to.
Profile Image for Reggie.
2,597 reviews
October 30, 2020
Breckin Lorry and Mason Miller...everyone expected this pair to have a happily ever after. They were best friends since elementary school and became more in high school. The plan was to go away to college together and then marry. Everything was wonderful, until it wasn't. Lack of communication and lies tore apart this couple. Now 20 years later, both are back in Cedar Point, WA, recovering from broken marriages. Can they get past the lies and hurt that led them to where they are today?
This beautiful story of love, lies, consequences and forgiveness will drag out ALL of the emotions! You will chuckle, cry and finally, weep for joy. Looking forward to more in this series.
I accepted a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Shelly.
Author 14 books21 followers
September 15, 2020
I love the characters and how you are instantly in love with them... a few misunderstandings can change your whole life, but can those be changed to make things better and get you back on track? This is a great first book in the series and can't wait to dive in more!
938 reviews4 followers
July 12, 2022
Breckin Lorry and Mason Miller are childhood friends knowing that they want to be each other's forever. A misunderstanding, miscommunication, made Breckin leave Mason the day of high school graduation without saying goodbye.
Mason loves Breckin, always thought she would be his. He was beyond devastated when he found out she left.
This story goes from present to past throughout. The flashbacks, memories and thoughts are a smooth transition without confusion. It also explains what was in the characters mind at that moment. It gives clarity to their decisions that were made throughout their lives.
This story ripped me apart and put me back together again. Tissues are definitely needed for this story.
D L lane wrote this second chance romance with such emotion, that had me laughing, crying and cheering for Breckin and Mason. The determination, faith in God, the self doubts, the fears, loss , forgiveness and the moments of love with friends and family made this story so exceptional.
Troy Duran narration is phenomenal. He brings depth to each character, showing Mason and Breckin at their strongest, weakest and most vulnerable moments. I can feel each emotion, anguish, anger, torment throughout the story. I was actually crying while listening. When a narrator can get that emotion from me while listening is an exceptional narrator. Thank you for bringing this story to life.
I was gifted this audio by the author and was happy to offer my honest review.
105 reviews
September 2, 2022
Audiobook review.

That Place Called Home was such a beautiful and emotional story between two lost souls that eventually found each other again. Youth, naïveté and misunderstandings separated Mason and Breckin when they were only 18 and in the process the lives of 4 people in the span of the next 20 years were affected. In this book we see them both seeking a new life post failed marriages, back home. But also back to each other.
Troy Duran narrates this amazing story. His voice brings all the emotions of these characters to life.
6 reviews
January 10, 2021
This review refers to the audio version.

This is another book and author I discovered through my favorite narrator, Troy Duran, who brought Mason and Breckin's story to life beautifully! They are a couple who began as childhood friends and fell in love with each other as teenagers, planning to marry and be together forever. They navigate their relationship with their faith in God guiding them, which I find incredibly refreshing! It's presented in a very realistic, human way, acknowledging that having faith doesn't mean everything will be perfect. In fact, Breckin and Mason hit so many pitfalls along the way, some beyond their control, some created because of lack of communication, misunderstanding and rushing to judgment, that their dreams of a life together are seemingly shattered and they travel separate paths for twenty years.

A few times I felt like I wasn't going to make it through the book. Their heartaches felt so real that it was almost too much for me to take. Kudos to author D.L. Lane for such heartfelt, emotional writing! Add to that the superb narration of Troy Duran, bringing it all to life with his amazing voice, and I was nearly a goner! As tough as it was at times, I loved being right there with Mason and Breckin, going through everything with them, fully invested in their story, which made their journey back to each other even sweeter. I highly recommend this book! I've listened to it in its entirety twice and continue to go back to my favorite parts nearly every day.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.