Start by marking “Poison and Honey (Dark and Otherwordly, #1)” as Want to Read:
Poison and Honey (Dark and Otherwordly, #1)

Poison and Honey

(Dark and Otherwordly #1)

Leigh Morgan has known that magic existed ever since an unearthly monster abducted her sister. It’s why she’s in Otherworld now, posing as a servant in its dark, decadent palace. She’s gathering intelligence and working with a small band of allies to bring down the Others and free their human captives. Her mission depends on blending in, so the last thing she wants is to a ...more
Published July 15th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Poison and Honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poison and Honey

Start your review of Poison and Honey (Dark and Otherwordly, #1)
Ian
Kristen Brand contacted me out of the blue and asked me if I'd be willing to read and review the first two novellas in the Dark & Otherworldly series. I accepted and jumped in even though I had no idea what I was jumping into.

And honestly that's one of the best things about these novellas. Things are not explained, you don't really know what's going on in Poison & Honey you just find yourself in a strange world and you need to work it out as you go along.

I love that.

And because I love that I'
Dianne
You know that feeling, the one that tells you THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING? I had that feeling after being only a couple of pages into Kristen Brand’s POISON AND HONEY the cornerstone for her new series, Dark and Otherworldly.

The human world and the Other world are separated by a magic portal. Humans have become slaves to those on the Other side, but one woman is determined to bring the humans home, but first she must allow herself to be captured and play out the hand she is dealt as she gathers
Julie - One Book More
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy, romance
Kristen Brand quickly made it to the top of my favorite new-to-me authors with Poison and Honey. The story centers around a human woman named Leigh, who poses as a servant in the palace of her non-human and powerful enemies so that she can gain intel and free the human captives. Tasked with working as the younger prince’s handmaiden, she never expects to feel anything but hatred for the plotting, scheming, and brooding prince. Prince Dredarion wants nothing more than to prove once and for all th ...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Leigh, the protagonist, seemed a strong heroine with a mission. What ruined the story for me was the romance. Understanding Leigh's motivation for entering the Otherworld the person who is her romantic interest doesn't make any sense. I wish the focus had been on her mission and not on a petulant and unworthy 'hero.' The story took a drastic detour from a potentially gritty story into a forced romance. ...more
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Poison and Honey is an urban fantasy novella, but the world-building reads every bit as good as a full-length novel. While it is set in what simply known as "Otherworld", there is nothing simple about the world Kristen Brand creates here. Leigh was abducted from Earth through a gate portal into Otherworld, where she now serves as a servant in the palace. Considered a "mud person", Leigh is looked down upon by the others as disgusting and lazy. The palace is vast with shadowed alcoves and back ha ...more
Silvia
Jun 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Magic comes in many forms, sometimes you’re lucky and it’s a dark heir to the throne. Wait . . .

Poison and Honey is a fast read that piques the reader’s curiosity with some enchanting—yet dangerous and scary—creatures, and two main characters on different missions. Which one would you side with? You might think the answer is easy, but it actually becomes a bit of a dilemma when you start getting attached to the enemy . . . Right, Leigh? Although I would have preferred a slower pace at times, esp
Coco.V
May 10, 2021 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (5/10/2021)! 🎁
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
A whirlwind of magic, secrets, lies and a dash of romance. I really enjoyed the story! This new world intrigued me from the start and I can’t wait to read more of it!
Emily Hirst
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book follows the journey is Leigh Morgan, a human servant in the palace. The palace is located in a kingdom called Dwencanti which is in the Otherworld. Leigh knows about the Otherworld and magic because her sister was abducted by a monster. As she is standing in as a servant in the palace she has a secret mission to bring down the Others and free the human captives.

Although, she has caught the attention of the younger prince called Dredarion Rath. He has chosen a slave which happens to be
Nicci
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read. The novella isn't quite Urban Fantasy as it's set in "the Otherworld", a world full of magic, castles, medieval clothing and a whole host of strange creatures but the "mud people" are humans kidnapped from our world and taken to the Otherworld to be slaves. Given how things play out, I assume it will flip back and forth between the human world and the Otherworld as the series unfolds... But I get ahead of myself.

There is a lot of information to absorb in this novell
Debbie
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book.

Cliff hanger, people! This book ends in a cliff hanger and I did NOT see it creeping up on me!

Leigh is a human slave in the Otherworld. Dredarion is a prince in said Otherworld, but a second son, and he wants to be king. He hatches all sorts of plans to get rid of his older brother, and ends up falling in love. But leigh is not who she seems.

So!

It took me far too long to get fully engaged with this book, it really did,
Kreela
Jul 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fae
This is a unique take on the kidnappings that Elves are reputed to do. I downloaded it because of the cool title in a large group giveaway, so I didn’t have high hopes. Surprise! It lived up to the title. Leigh is a part of the resistance infiltrating the enemy, so she doesn’t act like the typical slave. She has just enough snark to entertain, and just enough kick-em-in-the-low-places to interest one of the Queen’s sons, Dredarion.

If she were truly a kidnapped person, I would feel little tendri
Angelique
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-tour-book
Leigh is a really bad ass undercover human thrown into the Otherworld on a mission to get vengeance for her sister and all other humans who had been kidnapped by the Others over the years.

Unfortunately not all things go according to plan and Leigh’s plans get interrupted by the young Prince’s very own sinister plots. Pulled in by his plans and his dark and captivating personality Leigh almost gets side tracked from her mission.

This was a really fun and exciting read. I have read quite a few inte
Whiskey & Wit Book Reviews
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The juxtaposition of Poison and Honey's colliding worlds warps the fine weft of your literary status quo. In one palm lies a Maleficient styled society hiding all manner of dangerous creatures and magical castes. The second palm cradles modern-day humans, stolen and enslaved, trying to survive the Others.

Readers will gasp at the fantastical marvels in the non-human Otherworld - skull-bears, monster boars, mermen, furry, blue, bat-winged otters, horned vampires, alchemist princes, castle kitchen
Zuzana from Purplebookcase
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Amazing start of the series. Oh, my. The best one I have read in the past months. The story captured my attention within the first page and held me tight until the end. I really loved the strong female lead, Leigh with her honorable quest and nature which she carefully hides, and which slowly falls apart in the presence of Dredarion, second son of the queen. A really intelligent, sneaky, calculating, and hot distraction in her plan, one she did not need but was tempted to explore.
The story is ri
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Poison and Honey is a page turner. A captivating story from the outset, you won't want to put this down once you start. You're dropped right into the thick of things, with Leigh and Dredarion. Leigh wants to free the other humans, and he wants the throne. Leigh is a strong heroine, but can she achieve her goal and stay alive? If you're looking for something that will get your heart racing, this is it! ...more
A.K. Caggiano
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The story is fast-paced and engaging, and the heat level is just right. The fantasy universe of Otherworld built into Poison and Honey is depicted beautifully and believably, full of intrigue and deception, and the characters are lively and easy to root for even with their flaws and murderous intentions. I absolutely cannot wait to see where this series goes!
Tina
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! Totally excited for the next in the series. The little taste I got of the characters and this world wasn't enough. Great enemies to lovers romance.
Thank you Kristen Brand the Free copy of Poison and Honey. This is my honest review.
Nancy O'Toole
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, novella
Poison and Honey is the first book in a dark fantasy novella series about the Otherworld. Ruled by powerful beings who kidnap humans against their will, Leigh Morgan wants to take the whole system down. That is until she finds herself drawn to the ambitious Prince Dredarion Rath. Leigh is torn between her original mission and growing feelings. Which side will win out?

If you enjoy your fantasy with a heavy dose of heat, Poison and Honey would be a great fit for you. The mixture of dark, lush fant
Sharrice
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Original post here: https://reesesreviews.blogspot.com/20...

Poison and Honey took me by surprise. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect, but what I got wasn't it. If you have Kindle Unlimited, you'll want to grab this book.

Leigh has known about the Otherworld since her sister was taken away. She's now posing as a servant to Dredarion Rath's family trying to wait until they can get all the humans out safe and destroy the Otherworldly creatures from grabbing people away from their lives and forcin
Jillian
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Otherworld pulls in the reader as quickly and efficiently as it captures humans in the story. If the strange but magnificent descriptions of the strange Others somehow does not pull you in, the witty but glacial lead, Leigh Moran, will. An ex-convict with no other purpose in life than to avenge her kidnapped sister, Leigh finds her perfectly laid out plans ruined when she captures the interest of the second-born prince to the Otherworld kingdom of Dwencanti, Dredarion Rath. Their pull to one ...more
Amy
Christina
Sep 04, 2020
Penny
Sep 13, 2020

• Wicked Liars (Windsor Academy #1)
  • Entangled Darkness (Immortal Desire, #0,5)
  • Shadows of Asphodel (Shadows of Asphodel #1)
  • Poisoned Shadow
  • Stray (Cats of Felidae Academy #1)
  • Blood Leverage (Bloodstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Stolen in the Dark: Fae Bureau of Investigation, Book 1
  • Wet Lion: Lion Shifter Romance (Black Ops Mates Book 5)
  • The Stone God (Indulgence, #1)
  • Rejected (Shadow Beast Shifters, #1)
  • Chubby & Charming (Big & Beautiful #1)
  • Crown of Secrets (The Hidden Mage, #1)
  • Radar Deception (Immortal Ops #3)
  • Night Night, Norman
  • Dead Woman Scorned (The Patience of a Dead Man #2)
  • Wild Fury (The Gatekeeper's Fate Book 3)
  • Mission: All In (Brantley Walker: Off the Books, #1)
  • The Girl in Cabin 13 (Emma Griffin FBI Mystery, #1)
If Kristen Brand could have any superpower, she’d want telekinesis so she wouldn’t have to move from her computer to pour a new cup of tea. She spends far too much time on the internet, and when she’s not writing, she’s usually reading novels or comic books. Icon by @heckosart.

Dark and Otherwordly (2 books)
  • Sting of Thorns (Dark and Otherworldly #2)