Start by marking “The Miracle on Ebenezer Street” as Want to Read:
The Miracle on Ebenezer Street

The Miracle on Ebenezer Street

An enchanting and exciting tale of Christmas magic from multi-award-winning and bestselling writer Catherine Doyle.

'Sparkles with magic . . . A wintry wonder of a book' Abi Elphinstone

'Old Marley's magic was beginning to stir...'

Published October 1st 2020 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about The Miracle on Ebenezer Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Miracle on Ebenezer Street

Start your review of The Miracle on Ebenezer Street
Gavin
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a new festive middle grade to make a Christmas Eve reading tradition, then look no further than Catherine Doyle's 'The Miracle on Ebeneezer Street'.

This will be the third Christmas that George will spend without his mother. After her death, his father has refused to celebrate Christmas and it appears all the colour and festive cheer of the season has gone forever. Then George stumbles across a strange shop that is run by Marley, and after receiving a snow globe, he, his fat
Emer (A Little Haze)
I love Christmas. It truly is a magical time of the year. It’s really hard to put my finger on what exactly it is I love... if it’s the decorations, the fizzing atmosphere on the streets, my family coming together from the four corners of the country, the scents and aromas in the air ...
it’s just wonderful.

But we are living in 2020. And who knows what Christmas 2020 is going to be like for most of us. The COVID-19 pandemic is not going away any time soon so how do we find that Christmas cheer
Fiction Addition Angela
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You should all know by now that I adore Christmas, and I literally get myself in a tizz in December. You probably remember that one of my favourite books is A Christmas Carol. So when I spotted this book The Miracle on Ebenezer Street I knew I needed to get my hands on it and quick. The Christmas Elves must have heard me because no sooner than I'd wished for it, the book appeared before me like magic. A little like this book, it truly is a piece of magic.

It's December, a couple of days before Ch
Lauren James
[Gifted]
A middle grade retelling of A Christmas Carol that is perfect for the season - fun and magical in the best way. Cat writes the best characters, full of wit and personality and dimension.
Mimi
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Your heart is a compass. All you have to do is follow it."
Cecewrites23
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The miracle on Ebenezer street by Catherine Doyle
Release date 1/10/2020
Stars: ****
Thank you to @netgalley and @penguinbooks for the earc

Synopsis

George is about to spend his third Christmas without his mum. Since she died, George's life has felt dull and grey; his dad has thrown himself into his work and has no time for family, and definitely no time for Christmas.
Then, George stumbles across Marley's Curiosity Shop. There he finds a mysterious snow globe, which - though George can't quite und
Jasmine
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really cute! There were so many characters that you just had to love, like Tricksie, the Elf on the Shelf, and Randolph, Rudolph's (better, and purple!) brother. The story was heartwarming, even heartbreaking at times.

I wished there was a bit more of a 'teaching moment' in this. Even though they did visit different Christmases, we never really got a deep look into the memories and what happened, so it didn't entirely feel like there was a huge learning curve for Hugo Bish
Willow H. Wood
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I've ever read a Christmas novel before, but this called to me. Maybe it was the cheeky, modern magicalness wrapped up in the traditional nostalgia of A Christmas Carol. Maybe it's the beautiful cover or the perfect opening chapter. Either way, the descriptions fizzle, the feelings are strong, and I shed tears by the epilogue. This is beautiful and would make a wonderful film. But since it's a novel, I'm thrilled it was my first.
Tricia
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
A Christmas Carol reimagined for the 21st Century!
Bee
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I could not put this book down!

The Miracle on Ebenezer Street is a wonderful story filled with magic and the wonders of Christmas.

I enjoyed the usage of names made famous by Dickens' 1843 classic A Christmas Carol. We come across such places as Crachit close etcetera on our journey with George and his Scrooge of a father, Hugo thanks to a miracle made possible by unusual shop keeper, Marley.

Doyle's gentle way of handling the way Hugo handles the loss of his wife on Christmas Eve is a remi
Sifa Poulton
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this eARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. It has not affected my opinion.

A MIRACLE ON EBENEZER STREET is a fun modern-day retelling of A Christmas Carol. (It might also be a retelling of A Miracle on 34th Street, but I've never seen that movie.) A short book, this can be devoured in an afternoon, so perfect if you want something light and Christmassy to curl up with.<

The story is crackers, a colourful, fast paced adventure. While the retelling is
Cecewrites23
Thank you to @netgalley and @penguinbooks for the earc

Synopsis

Kayleigh Cyphus
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I can urge you to read one book this Christmas, please choose The Miracle on Ebenezer Street; it's full of magic, warmth and humour and makes for a perfect festive read!

As soon as I started reading this book, I knew it was one that I was going to love - the writing is just captivating and the characters are ones that you just click with, even Hugo! The book moves at a really good pace, so the magic of winter London is there and the characters have depth, and it's this which sets it apart from
Dawn Woods
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George’s Father Hugo, has banned Christmas ever since George’s Mother died at that time of the year. So no decorations, no singing, no presents, no Christmas dinner round at a fun-filled relatives house, no celebrations of any kind are allowed. George and his Nan are finding this very difficult when all George wants to do is to talk about his Mum.
On a walk into town with his Nan, George discovers a shop he’s never seen before. Entering Marley’s Christmas Curiosities, it is a shop like no other.
Joey Susan
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Puffin Random House Children’s for the earc to read and review.

I love Christmas and I love a Christmas Carol, so why I didn’t fully enjoy this book is honestly a mystery to me, but alas I didn’t really enjoy it at all.

George misses Christmas, for three years his life had been dull and grey since his mum died on Christmas Eve. His dad shut down and removed colour and celebrations from their lives to cope just a little. This year George can’t take it anymore an
Maura MozReads
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful reimagining of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens!

George's world has been cold and grey for the last three years since his mum died, especially on the anniversary of her death at Christmas. His dad works constantly through holidays and has banned all things Christmas from the house.
When George and his Nana Flo sneak off to the Christmas Fair, George comes upon Marely's Christmas Curiosity shop, and inside finds a snow globe that reminds him of Christmases before. What George a
ThatBookGal
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a really fun family adventure, filled to the brim with Christmas magic. An interesting take on the classic Christmas Carol story, it takes the format we know well and gives it all the charm of a heartwarming Christmas movie. There were little touches throughout that really reminded me of a reading Roald Dahl, and for me, there can't really be higher praise than that.

I felt so very frustrated for poor George, both he and his dad coping with their immense grief without communicating with
Debbie
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect read to put a huge Christmas smile on your face and leave you feeling warm and fuzzy.

George won’t be able to celebrate Christmas, again this year. Since losing his mum, his dad has banned Christmas from their home and all the festive sparkle too. Luckily for George, Nana Flo still harbours a little bit of Christmas spirit and when she takes George to the Christmas market he stumbles across an unusual little shop run by a man called Marley. So begins George’s magical adventure. Will
Claire Hood
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this is a children’s story, I thoroughly enjoyed, I became completely immersed in the Christmas spirit.
It’s a lovely retelling of a Christmas Carol.
George’s mother dies on Christmas Eve and since then his dad has banished Christmas in the house and in general, a time they once all enjoyed.
A feel good, heartwarming story which will get you in the Christmas spirit.
Will Christmas come alive again at 7 Ebenezer Street, the only way to find out is to read it for yourself.
Stacey Bookerworm
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Miracle on Ebenezer Street is the perfect antidote to the current climate.

Read more of our review here: http://www.bookerworm.com/reviews/636...
Bev
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved every minute of reading this, a retelling of Christmas Carol with humour, nostalgia and family love stuffed into every festive line. I had a tear in my eye several times and was giggling at others, perfect gift for any young (or young at heart!) reader.
Vonprice
A new book to add to your Christmas traditions if you love Christmas as much as I do!

My full review is here: http://vsviewfromthebookshelves.home....
Emma
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful, modern retelling of A Christmas Carol which I think many children will love. It would be perfect as a read in the run up to Christmas!

*TW death of a parent
Jacey
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
A middle grade book that I thought might work well for my grandson for Christmas but on reading it myself, I'm not so sure. It's a retelling which riffs on A Christmas Carol. George's life has been turned upside down by the death of his mother, but more importantly by his father so lost in grief that he fails to step up for George. Dad is turning into a grey colourless man, and only George can save him with the help of gloriously colourful Nan, the magic of Marley's Christmas emporium and a purp ...more
Sharon
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this from start to finish! I really enjoyed finding the different Christmas Carol references, the story has some very tender moments as well as the more humourous 😂 Lovely family read for Christmas in my opinion 🎄
Stacey Hammond
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jean Kirby
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion this wasn't Catherine Doyle's best work, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. This is based on Dickens' "A Christmas Carol". I am not keen on this type of retelling of a famous story as the original is usually the best, but this is a more modern story and a fantasy book that KS3 students will enjoy.
Claire Hood
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s a lovely retelling of a Christmas Carol.
A feel good, heartwarming story which will get you in the Christmas spirit.
Katy Noyes
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very accessible reimagining, had a lump in my throat as well.

The original has inspired many versions over the years, from Muppets to teen versions, and here the author brings the story into the present day and to a young audience via the Scrooge’s son, George.

Still absolutely deceased by the death of George’s mother in car accident at Christmas three years ago, Hugo will not let anything festive or joyous near himself, his son and even via his sparky mother in December - to save them the pain of
D L
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I know this is a children's book but the temptation to read something this time of the year that uses A Christmas Carol as a template was too much to resist.

George's mum died 3 years ago on Christmas Eve and since then his dad has refused to celebrate or even acknowledge Christmas since. Fortunately for George, his Nana Flo has come to live with them.

Just before Christmas, George and his Nana Flo go out shopping to take in the festivities, only for George to call into Marley’s Christmas Curiosi

• The Betrayals
  • Tilly and the Map of Stories (Pages & Co., #3)
  • Tinsel (The Girls Who Invented Christmas)
  • The Midnight Guardians
  • The Mirror & the Light (Thomas Cromwell, #3)
  • Harrow Lake
  • The Good Bear
  • A Kind of Spark
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • Never and Forever (The Wizards of Once #4)
  • One More for Christmas
  • Dragon Mountain
  • The Beast and the Bethany
  • Kidnap on the California Comet (Adventures on Trains #2)
  • The Night Bus Hero
  • The Death of Vivek Oji
  • After the Silence
  • The Chalet
Catherine Doyle grew up in the West of Ireland. She holds a first-class BA in Psychology and a first-class MA in Publishing. She is the author of the Young Adult Blood for Blood trilogy (Vendetta, Inferno and Mafiosa), which is often described as Romeo and Juliet meets the Godfather. It was inspired by her love of modern cinema. Her debut Middle Grade novel, The Storm Keeper's Island (Bloomsbury, ...more