Start by marking “Pretty Little Wife” as Want to Read:
Pretty Little Wife

Pretty Little Wife

Debut author Darby Kane thrills with this twisty domestic suspense novel that asks one central question: shouldn’t a dead husband stay dead?

Lila Ridgefield lives in an idyllic college town, but not everything is what it seems. Lila isn’t what she seems. A student vanished months ago. Now, Lila’s husband, Aaron, is also missing. At first these cases are treated as horrible
Expected publication: December 29th 2020 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Start your review of Pretty Little Wife
Dita has the 'rona!
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dita has the 'rona! by: Crystal Hiatt
Shelves: netgalley
Buckle in, my friends!

Lila offs her jackwagon of a husband and then she puts him in his car, drives him to his job, and leaves him there.

But he and his car disappear before he is discovered and now he has been reported missing. Is he out there waiting, stalking, and looking for revenge or is something much, much worse happening?

I lost much of yesterday to this dazzling thriller and I have no regrets whatsoever. It was so well-written and it zinged to such a satisfying conclusion.

One of the bett
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a brilliant, mind crushing, moving, surprising debut!

Characters are flawed, inaccurate, complex, realistically portrayed and eventually you may find a way to connect with them. Especially the quirky, unique but also stone-faced, tough, determined heroine Lila Ridgefield. She seems like small college town resident, ex lawyer, a brand new, competitive real estate agent, always stylish, looking good, happily married with her charming teacher husband Aaron.

But as you may guess, nothin
Marilyn
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane

Books with an unlikeable main character aren't my favorite but this story did a great job of grabbing and hanging on to my interest. Lila Ridgefield, with great preparation and planning, has killed her husband, Aaron, and parked his body and SUV in a field near the school where he taught. She planted his vile sexual videos in the car so people will know that her well liked husband was a horrible predator. But, no one finds the car and the body because both have go
Michael David
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for this perfectly-plotted, unputdownable thriller!

Lila Ridgefield seems to have it all. She’s married to Aaron, a high school teacher, works whenever she wants as a real estate agent, and is always impeccably dressed.

Things are definitely not always as they seem. Beneath the facade of a perfect life, Lila learns something very disturbing about Aaron. Things take a turn for the worse when he goes missing...but how is that possible? Lila left his body where she knew it would be found...
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
She was the perfect wife....pretty, perfect and smart. She did everything that her equally handsome husband Aaron asked of her. She quit her job as a lawyer, she rarely worked her real estate deals, so she could stay home and be the perfect little pretty wife..she always did what Aaron told her to do..except the day she murdered him....😳

Lila was a clever girl, with an ice cold demeanor, she could pull off most anything, probably even murder. 😬That is what she thought, until her husband's body di
Kaceey
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
Lila is a lucky lady. She has the perfect marriage. Until she discovers a shocking secret her husband was keeping. What’s a wife to do?💁🏻‍♀️

When her husband mysteriously vanishes, suspicious eyes turn toward her. But Lila knows she isn’t responsible for his disappearance…even though she was the last to see him. Well that doesn’t look good!

This is a debut thriller from a new talent that I’m sure will be rocking the thriller world over the next many years.
The characters were colorfully brought to
Jayme
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone in the small town of Ithaca, New York is worried about the whereabouts of beloved high school teacher, Aaron Payne.

For most people, it's because Nia Simms podcast, Gone Missing, has speculated that his disappearance could be linked to the three students who had “gone missing”from the area, in recent years-Karen Blue-Julie Levin-and Lara James.

But, for his wife, Lila Ridgefield, it's because she killed him and left him for dead in his car, in the school parking lot, and both have vanish
Susanne  Strong
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
Marriage. It’s so idyllic isn’t it? Then again, I guess that depends on who your spouse is.

When Lila Ridgefield’s husband Aaron goes missing she is the prime suspect. Of course, she’s guilty as charged.

The problem is that she thought she planned the perfect murder until his body disappears from where she dumped it and now she’s up a creek without a paddle.

That, of course, is not the only problem.

Oh boy. Lila is in deep doo doo! Luckily for her, she’s not the only one!

Hang tight my friends,
Bridgett
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
"My taste in men sucks."

Yes, Lila, it really, really does.

Pretty Little Wife is chock full of excellent writing, believable characters, effective dialogue, and pulse-pounding pacing. The one thing that prevented me from giving this book five stars was that I'd mostly figured it out by the 17% mark, and had completely figured it out by the time I'd reached 30%. Thankfully, the fairly obvious red herrings didn't detract from my enjoyment of this story. And, oddly enough, I actually quite love
Linda
Karma has no menu. You get served what you deserve.

And the universe is filled with evil, bad deeds, animosity, and just plain murder and mayhem. We humans can shake the dirt out of any situation and breathe it all in. Again and again....

Lila Ridgefield, from all indications, is the exquisite wife without a hair out of place. She's a lawyer and successful realtor in the beautiful background of Ithaca, New York. Her husband, Aaron, is a well-loved high school math teacher. But there's a chill in L
Julie (JuJu)
This domestic thriller begins with one of those mind-blowing opening chapters! And WOW...what an ending! This story was unpredictable, fast-paced, and full of twisted surprises!

Lila and Aaron were never a traditional couple. She didn’t believe in soulmates or love at first sight. She and Aaron understood each other and their relationship worked and that’s all she really wanted. Until she finds her husband’s hidden secrets. Now it’s time to end their arrangement.

Lila is meticulous in her plannin
Frank Phillips
Hmmm. How this was November's BOTM selection is kind of baffling to me. It was an average suspense/thriller, at best. Nothing bad about it don't get me wrong.. but, nothing stood out and made me love it either. Maybe it was the writing style (not written in first person), which made it hard for me to connect with our protagonists, and I also found it hard to keep the characters straight at times, and there weren't even that many!!
At the beginning of this story we meet Lila Ridgefield, who is unh
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
Lila murdered her husband. Or did she?

Lila plans Aaron's death out for weeks and executes it flawlessly, or so she thinks. When she awakens the next morning, she expects people to be inundating the grieving widow with visits and phone calls in the wake of her husband's suicide, but all is quiet. That is, until the principal at Aaron's school shows up at Lila's house because Aaron has uncharacteristically not shown up for work and is not answering his cell. Lila is baffled. Aaron's body should ha
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
Domestic thrillers have taught me that marriage = murder.

BRB, staying single and fabulous forever.
Marialyce
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So enjoyed this thriller that kept this reader on her toes as the author led us on a merry chase.

Lila Ridgefield, is married to Aaron and seems to have an idyllic life. As we have seen on numerous occasions what goes on behind closed doors is never what one sees when they are fully open. In this wonderful town, a girl has gone missing for months. And then the strange occurs when Lila's husband also goes missing. Lila kind of knows what happened to Aaron and then again perhaps she does n
Theresa Alan
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The mystery of this novel is well done—it’s really different mysteries to be solved by different people until it is ultimate revealed to us, the readers. It’s a mystery to Lila, who had already survived something unimaginable as a child only to grow up and discover her husband isn’t who she thought he was; instead, he is as evil as what she escaped. The dead body of Lila’s husband is a mystery to Ginny, the lead detective on the case. And the three girls with long brunette hair who went missing ...more
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, edelweiss
Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane is a twisted domestic thriller.

Pretty Little Wife had so many twists, I could not figure out what actually happened. All of the characters are very complex. Ginny is the lead detective on the case and Lila’s only concern. Lila thinks she knows what happened to Aaron. Is she wrong? The story is told from the perspective of Lila and Ginny. There is also a True Crime Podcast featuring Aaron’s disappearance. Lila’s point of view switches between past and present.

I li
Susan
Pretty is as Pretty Does.

Aaron and Lila seem to be the perfect couple. However, things aren’t always as they appear.

While he enjoys showing off his attractive wife and she likes the security, they are currently at odds and she’s seething inside. Aaron has done something truly despicable and now she’s killed him.

But did she really? His body has disappeared before it was discovered and he's listed as 'Missing'.

Is he coming back to kill her instead?

Add a snoopy neighbor and an inquisitive cop to
DeAnn
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
4 thriller stars

Lila Ridgefield is one of those memorable characters that are just fascinating to read about! Lila is the pretty little wife to Aaron, a high school teacher in Ithaca New York. She’s whip-smart, an attorney when they lived in North Carolina, now she’s occasionally selling houses. Lila has many layers and has more to her than meets the eye.

Things get interesting when Aaron disappears. Lila isn’t worried because she took care of things and knows exactly where Aaron should be – exce
Denise
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was delightfully diabolical and a welcome distraction for the madness of the last few days!

Lila Ridgefield has had enough of the abuse she has suffered at the hand of her beloved teacher husband, Aaron, and decides to end to their marriage - by killing him. She plots his murder down to every last detail; however, when there is a knock on their door, it is not the police telling her that Aaron has been found dead, but instead his boss and friend telling her that he is missing. Lila soo
OutlawPoet
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing

You’ll be forgiven if, at first glance, you think this is the normal little twisty domestic thriller beach read that seem to be everywhere nowadays.

It *is* twisty.
It *is* a domestic thriller.
It *is* a beach read.

But holy crap, it’s so much more! This is one devious and twisted (not just twisty) suspense thriller that will have you on edge all the way through!

Our main character is…wrong. So very wrong. But so much fun to read! I made the mistake of starting this book before work one day. I tore t
Melissa Borsey
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful fun and snarky read! I loved everything about this story and there are twists and surprises throughout, it is by far one of the best books I’ve read this year! I thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Olivia Caridi
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Biiig fan of this read! Not cheesy like I find some mysteries to be — this was a true thriller and I loved every minute!
Amanda Cole
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I really wished I could have given this book 5 stars. The story, the concept, the characters - all great. But, I wanted to close this book and never look back during the first 100 pages. The writing style and obvious grammatical errors killed me. The only thing that kept me going was the premise. Overall, I am glad I stuck it out and finished this book.
Lisa-Books Smiles
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Book of the Month has done it again. I have a new author to look forward to. Given me a story that i could not put down and twisted my mind along the way. This was a good 4 star read. Tell me if you get it figured out before you hit the half way mark. I dying to know.
Jen
Nov 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a fast-paced read that introduced the mystery in the very beginning. It centers around Lila, who was seemingly in a happy marriage with Aaron, but as the book goes on, the reader realizes that there was more to it than meets the idea. The reader immediately knows that Lila believes she has killed her husband but his body wasn't found where she left it. The rest of the book fills in the gaps around what happened to make Lila make that decision, how she did it, and what was really going o ...more
Amy
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve had an on and off again relationship with thrillers for the last year or so but when I read the description for this one I was immediately sucked in. A missing husband is nothing new but a wife who is panicked not because her spouse is dead, but because his body isn’t where she left it reeled me right in. I’m so happy to say that this reignited my love of the genre because it was a really strong debut and one of those rare thrillers that hooked me from the first page to the last.

This is one
Laurie Murphy
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020-books
What a great thriller! It has both a compelling plot and subplot that kept me guessing from the beginning. It is suspenseful and the action never lets up, nor is the reader given a break. I read the book in two days and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lila is in a psychologically abusive marriage to Aaron when she uncovers some damaging videos of him and some of his female students. They bring back bad memories of her childhood and rather that risk her secrets being uncovered, she decides to kill Aaron. T
Laurie Murphy
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-books, arc

Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count 4 17 Nov 19, 2020 10:51PM
Book of The Month: Pretty Little Wife *Spoiler Discussion* 3 39 Nov 03, 2020 04:50AM

• The Girl in the Mirror
  • The Lost Girls of Devon
  • Goodnight Beautiful
  • Shakeup (A Stone Barrington, #55)
  • A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Mayhem (A Lady's Guide, #1)
  • Don't Ever Tell
  • The Memory
  • The Lying Kind (Detective Rachel Prince, #1)
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • How to Catch a Queen (Runaway Royals, #1)
  • Leave the World Behind
  • This Time Next Year
  • The Orphan's Guilt (Joe Gunther #31)
  • The Daughter