Start by marking “The Girl Least Likely” as Want to Read:
The Girl Least Likely

The Girl Least Likely

To All the Boys meets The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (with a dash of Dumplin’) in this funny, romantic, and heartfelt coming of age story about a teen stand-up comic learning how to be her truest self, from the author of If You’re Out There.

Gretchen has always been more of a “least likely” than a “most likely” kind of girl. So how does she somehow find herself living out every
Expected publication: June 29th 2021 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Least Likely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Least Likely

Start your review of The Girl Least Likely
Angelica
Dec 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
a book based on rom com tropes??? count me in!!
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Girl Least Likely was such a fun and adorable audiobook to dive into. I laughed, smiled, and wanted to slap some people around for being judgmental. Yet, I ate it all up. Ever piece of drama, confusion, funny, and romantic moment. No matter how little or big it was - I wanted it all and then some.

In it, you will meet Gretchen. Now she is someone that you can easily fall in love with. She kind of reminded me of Rebel Wil
Aly
Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me, it didn't go in the direction I thought it would and had a twist that I didn't see coming. It's a cute coming of age story with plenty of jokes and it went by quickly. Gretchen is funny and awkward and struggling with who she is and who she wants to be. When she accidentally ends up on stage for a stand up comedy show, things begin to click for her. As Gretchen writes her jokes, she starts to come to terms with some of the feelings she's been pushing down.

Gretchen is in
Alex
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 10-and-11
Thanks to the publisher for providing an audiogalley of The Girl Least Likely in exchange for an honest review.

I really thought I'd hate the protagonist in this at the beginning for being a YA cliche so I was beyond overjoyed when she went through actual dynamic character development that didn't just consist of her blaming everyone around her for her faults. This was charming and fun and surprisingly honest and I will forever sing the praises of YA characters who actively attempt to better thems
its.me.the.bibliophile
**Thank you to NetGalley, the author, & the publisher for a chance to listen to & review an ARC of this audiobook!**

Please find my extended feedback below...along with some spoilers (beware).
Things I Liked:
-super cute coming of age story
-I liked the character development
-cute & unique premise (the stand-up story line)

Things That Didn't Sit Quite Right With Me:
-it's hard to get into the novels with the computerized voice (not really a flaw of the audiobook...just beca
Ms. Kahn
Feb 27, 2021 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book, but the end was a bit preposterous. I think my students will want to read it, so I would give it three and a half stars if I could.
Fin D
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so pleasantly surprised by this book. The Girl Least Likely tells the story of Gretchen, a high school senior and youngest of three who doesn't always know where she fits in as she finds herself by getting into standup comedy.
I really enjoyed myself with this one, I didn't quite know what to expect with this one but I had a really good time with this story and I imagine that the finished audiobook is going to be even better.
When you hear a book includes stand-up comedy you hope that it's
Angelina
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, read-in-2021
Rating: 4/5

I was so in the mood for a YA contemporary/romance that the fact that a love triangle being mentioned in the synopsis didn't even detour me from picking this one up immediately!

The Girl Least Likely follows Gretchen the girl "least likely" who finds herself with a crush on her best friend and as the perfect sprinkle on top of that, she finds herself impersonating someone else while also doing stand-up comedy. Oh, and you can't forget the guy she may now have a crush on that also does
Oliver Harris
Jan 29, 2021 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. I really like standup comedy and that is why I requested this book. I am definitely glad I did cause I enjoyed this book quite a lot.
First off this book was actually funny. That shouldn't be surprising but unfortunately not all books set in the world of standup are actually funny. The little standup bits we got a peek at made me snort in some places but the book in general was just really funny. There where places where I had to stop reading because I was laughing.
Stacy
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received a voice galley of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

17-year-old Gretchen has always been reserved and doesn't always know where she fits in. One night, however, her sister and cousin convince her to sneak into a comedy club with a fake ID, and before Gretchen knows it, she finds herself performing onstage as “Sabrina”. To her surprise, Gretchen discovers that she actually like being on stage, making an audience laugh. With her set, she catches the eye of
Amy
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A strong female protagonist! An age appropriate YA with no talk of drugs or sex! Comedy! Romance! Clever dialogue! In one book?? Yes!! You can’t help but root for the strong, funny young woman who commands center stage in this adorable rom-com. This was almost a DNF because I found the synthetic voice so incredibly distracting, but what a reward I got for sticking it out! It was so much fun joining Gretchen in her journey of discovery, and getting to know all the characters who pepper her life. ...more
Cosas.and Stuff
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to listen to this voice galley.

Funny - Check
Friendship - Check
Family - Check
Rom-com - Check
Troupes - Check
Good read - Check
Comedy Club - Check

Reading the synopsis, I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I was happily surprised it was just shy of being as great as her first book. It did take some time to find a flow within the story but when it did, I couldn't stop hearing. The dialogue is what I loved the most. The humor is dry
Cosas.and Stuff

Good read - Check
Comedy Club - Check

Grace
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an arc from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was amazing! I never wanted to put it down. It was a fast paced read with new developments all the time.

I loved all the different characters. Gretchen was very funny, even when she wasn’t doing standup, and I really liked her character development. The love interests were all fun and loveable. I really liked who she ended up with. I enjoyed how Gretchen came out of her shell and made new friends in both of her “lives”
Chelsey Harris
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story so much. Gretchen is such a relatable character and I didn't find her overly dramatic, which is something that tends to happen (in my opinion) in YA books, specifically romance leaning ones. Yes, she might be having some boy problems and family problems, and maybe talking about that on stage as part of a comedy act isn't the best solution, but it's definitely not the worst. I loved her humor a lot and the commentary on things like trying to change clothes in a car. All of the ...more
Mar
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so good!! I listened this on audiobook and I cannot wait for the final version because if this was this good with this monotone voice, with an actual narrator is going to be incredible.
I love the plot and Gretchen felt like a l very relatable character. You fell in love with her quirky nature pretty easy and the journey she takes felt "real" and like someone 9f her age. It was a truly fantastic experience watching her grow as the story moves and finding herself. Loved it!
Fully recommend
Colleen
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Gretchen (a senior in high school) goes to a comedy club/bar with a fake id with her sister and cousin. She is very intrigued by the thought of doing comedy and starts doing so with the fake name from the id. A tangled web ensues.

The concept of integrating comedy sketches into a YA/Romance is novel (hah).

Very enjoyable. The comedy really adds to the lightheartedness of this book.

Thank you NetGalley, the publisher (Harper Audio) and the author, Katy Loutenhiser for the opportunity to review th
Amy Tippins
Katy Loutzenhiser is FUNNNNNY! I laughed a lot while reading this book. I feel like there were a few gaps in the story that led to holes in the plot line, but overall it was a cute story. I'm not sure if I would recommend it for the younger side of the YA crowd due to the excessive language, but there wasn't any graphic sexual content or crude commentary so that was a plus.

Gretchen is a high school junior (this was hard to figure out from the get-go... I think I was more than 1/2 through the bo
Lacey
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
It’s been over a week since finishing this book and I still find myself giggling over it.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the stand up bits in this novel to be absolutely hilarious! Seriously, I was laughing so hard that I had to stop reading. Aside from the comedy bits the book was overall quite funny in its own right and it kept me wanting more.

I loved the main character and felt her high school growing pains. I’m sure we can all relate to those awkward and uncertain years. The sisters an
Stephanie
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a super cute book that I thoroughly enjoyed. High school books are often hit or miss for me. This one was a hit. I really relate to the awkward outsider girl trying to figure out her place in the world and using humor to do it. I absolutely loved how the main character came into herself and found a way to express herself, even while using an alias. There were some really hilarious moments, great insights, and character growth. Highly recommend this for a light and fun book that also has ...more
Stephanie
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Mar 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
The Girl Least Likely by Katy Loutzenhiser is a cute young adult romance about not fitting in. Gretchen has always seen herself as the girl least likely. Now, Gretchen finds herself living tropes from her favorite rom coms. I really liked the concept of The Girl Least Likely. The story was cute but it didn’t hold my attention the whole time. I liked the characters and really enjoyed Gretchen.

Thank you Balzer + Bray and Edelweiss for The Girl Least Likely.
Margaret
Pros: This is YA book makes me think of the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with modern teenagers.

Cons: None really. The more YA books I read, the more I realize it is not my favorite genre. That being said, this was still a fun, light read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Audio for the voice ARC of this book!
Dr. Barb
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Loved this story! Gretchen is 17, the youngest in her family unless you consider her dog. Gretchen is trying to find herself. She thinks she is in love with her childhood friend Sam, she has only one good friend, if you do not count her sister and her cousin, and all she does is watch rom coms with her sister and parents. She ends up at a comedy club with a fake ID and finds herself on stage. She has lots to say (and it is very insightful and funny) and so she stays in a competition for a chance ...more
Amanda Sichmeller
Feb 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Gretchen finds her best friend (who she has a serious mega crush on) is moving away for their senior year. When her older sister and cousin don’t offer much support and she’s left feeling out of place she turns to stand up comedy.

What I enjoyed most:
- Strong YA female lead not reliant on a “guy”
- Serious laugh-out-loud comedic bits
- Importance of friendships
- Dynamic character growth
the lady e
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

This was an enjoyable YA novel straddling high school and an unlikely comedy career, as Gretchen accidentally - while dressed as her cousin’s roommate to look like her I.D. - starts doing stand up and hides her other life from her normal one.
Julie
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
I liked that she made friends and tried her hand at comedy. 2nd book in which a girl lies about her age and to her friends. I liked the slight romance and the sisters. Overall I liked this book .
Tiffany
Feb 14, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, netgalley
Now that it’s the new year I plan on actually writing reviews on Goodreads so this review is pending :)
Sandie, Teen Lit Rocks
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this rom-com about a girl who sort of stumbles into a comedy competition that helps her find her voice and her first love.
Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, audiobook, ya, love
A YA book about Rom-Com tropes? Sign me up! I really enjoyed The Girl Least Likely, Gretchen (the main character) is likable, funny, and relatable. Throughout the book, we see character growth and a solid plot. Would recommend for those who like light YA books with a mix of romance.

Thank you to the author, Harper Audio and NetGalley for providing an audio copy to review!

• Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry
  • The Last Goodbye
  • The Rose Code
  • The Soulmate Equation
  • The Lost Apothecary
  • The Lost Manuscript
  • Pride and Premeditation (Jane Austen Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Of Wicked Blood (The Quatrefoil Chronicles, #1)
  • My Contrary Mary (Mary, #1)
  • Shipped
  • Be Dazzled
  • If the Shoe Fits (Meant to Be, #1)
  • Twice Shy
  • Last Chance Books
  • The Lowering Days
  • The First Man
  • Too Good to Be Real
  • Seven Days of Us
Katy grew up in Cambridge, Massachusetts, dabbling in many art forms and watching age-inappropriate movies. After college, she found an unlikely home in the Chicago comedy scene and regularly sang improvised musicals in public. Now she writes YA books in Brooklyn.