Start by marking “Half Truths” as Want to Read:
Half Truths

Half Truths

All-American boy meets broken girl... at rehab?

It will never work.

How could it?

Alex is Chicago royalty. Harley considers herself Las Vegas trash. While he's been handed everything his entire life, she scrapes to make ends meet. Still, the chemistry between them is undeniable. Both long to break free from the stereotypes of their upbringing and embrace each moment together.
Published August 17th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Half Truths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half Truths

Start your review of Half Truths
ItaPixie
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars

Alex has just graduated when he comes back home and he finds his little sister, Daphne, passed out on her bed after she took too many pills and drugs, so he decides to fly from Chicago to San Diego to sign her into a rehab.
Harley is the counselor assigned to Alex’s sister.
They are instantly attracted to each other, and when they find out to be neighbours it becomes even more difficult to follow the rules and to stay aways from each other.
They are both running and hiding from their families for

M.  [storme reads a lot]
I picked up this book as soon as I was approved, and I could not stop reading. It is that good.

Alex sends his sister to rehab because she needs help. She is not doing well, and he wants her to be well. And he ends up attracted to her drug counselor, which is kind of a problem. And then there are neighbors so it is clear they are going to end up together. It is such a good read, but I was frustrated by all of the lies.

Both of them are dealing with a lot of issues. Alex is trying to save his sis
Rochelle
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
First book that I have read from this author and I found it enjoyable. Alex and Harley were a great couple. They were from two different sides of the track but brought together to help his sister. What started as a friendship and a common goal turned into so much more. Loved the chemistry and attraction between them. This story will take you on an emotional roller coaster ride. Great read and I can’t wait to read more from this author.

I read an early review copy of this book and I am voluntaril
Booknerd_dragon (TANIA)
• Half Truths (by Rachael brownell)

I picked this book up knowing nothing about it. It was a wild guess from my part, but boy do I pick a great book.

Alex sends his sister to the rehab because she needs help with her addiction that is eating her alive, which is certainly a real big issue in a lot of house and teenage life now a days.

I was already pleased with the drug addiction issue the book was handling with. But then the fun part comes, where Alex got attracted to the drug counselor and vice ve
Ashley
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gladly took my time reading this one. Absorbing and appreciating the slow-burn story between Alex and Harley that was beautifully written.

Alex is a rich boy from Chicago, the son of a real estate magnate and expected to follow in the family foot steps. But when Alex returns from college and finds his little sister overdosing on drugs and his mother and father won't acknowledge her drug problem. He takes it upon himself to sneak her across the country to southern CA and check her into a rehab
Dayang
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
4⭐️

This is my first ARC from the author. I've read the blurb and signed-up.

The story started slow for me. I expected it to be angsty, and it was. For a second there, I almost gave up on reading because the dynamic between Alex and Harley was frustrating and it wasn't relatable. But it picked around the middle and I eventually warmed up.

It was definitely a unique, heart-wrenching and heartwarming tale of giving people second chances and rising up to the occasion... that sometimes in life, we onl
Sarah Anguish
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex is looking out for his little sister. Sure he has technically kidnapped her and admitted her to a rehab centre - which she only go into because he metaphorically killed off his parents (who are worse than useless, so wrapped up in their own lives). Whilst checking her into rehab he finds himself staring at some beautiful ebony hair followed by a perk ass. Problem being that ass belongs to his sister's new counsellor so off bounds.

Harley is that counsellor who notices Alex checking her out a
Elsa Gomes (BookishAurora)
Rate: 4,4 / 5 stars

Half-Truths was my first read by Rachael Brownell and I really enjoyed it. It was a super cute read. I adored the characters, some more than others. I loved how Alex and Harley developed a relationship first and that he and Phoenix also became great friends and not because Alex was interested in his mom.

Everything to do with Daphne, Alex's addict sister, had me feeling some type of way. She was so vindictive and calculated. Alex's whole family was pretty crappy. So the fact
Jess *lovetolovebooks*
Ok.
Buckle up.
I got a rant filled review coming your way.

But before I get into the nitty gritty, I want to focus on the things I liked about this book.
-Harley and her childhood growing up with an addict was something I related hard to, and so I connected to her on a personal level.
-Harley’s brother Phoenix was adorable and I wanted to hug him.

Alright time for the bad news.
Let’s start with the blurb. It was written in a way that made me and some others believe that we were getting a story about tw
Athena D.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4 STARS

Half Truths by Rachael Brownell is a MUST read and will join the ranks of the BIBLIO-ELITE!!!

Full review to come
Rina | booksofthemuggleborn
My Rating: 4 stars!

**ARC was generously provided by the author in exchange for my honest review.**

Alex and Harley's story was utter chaos, frustrating as hell, and yet completely jump-in-head-first type of love that had me engrossed. They found themselves in a unique situation that was messy, complicated, and without a doubt will bite them both in the ass. But yet they fitted each other so well. Meant to be, as some may say.

When I initially read the blurb, I assumed that Alex and Harley would be
Kari Hansen
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alex may have had anything he could want financially but emotionally is another story. With his sister’s life and future in jeopardy he is willing to whatever is necessary to ensure she changes her life and that mean keeping her location hidden while she gets the help she needs.

Harley is a counselor at the facility where Alex has taken his sister and she is trying to escape a past of her own. She has turned her life around, but she has secrets she needs to keep in order to protect those she love
Alley Ciz
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book will kick you right in the feels!

You’ll be pulling for these characters, itching for their full truths... and cheering for them as you champion their HEA!
Ashley Cade
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Half Truths has everything you’re looking for in a contemporary romance: angst, longing, sexual tension galore, and two lonely hearts with secrets they can’t share with anyone. Rachael Brownwell expertly and insightfully navigates sensitive topics to bring readers unique and realistic love story.
Isabel Lucero
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rachael Brownell crafts a sweet, well-rounded story that keeps you turning the pages. The journey of Harley and Alex is a deliciously unique slow-burn romance that will draw you in, making you never want to let go.
Booked up with Lizzy
3 stars

What happens when a relationship is built by sharing only half-truths? It's destined to break down sooner than later.

Half Truths is the first book I've read by Rachael Brownell, and I enjoyed it. I love nothing more than meeting new authors and reading their works.

Half Truths is about two people that meet at rehab. They are NOT in rehab though. That's where I made the mistake. I thought it was going to be a love story about two drug addicts... So, I was a bit disappointed in the beginning. But
Stox4story
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lies, Lies, and more Lies ... when the truth comes out, lives change.

Little do Alex and Harley know…. they’re keeping the same secret and both are afraid to tell. Half truths, they call it. Ahhhh, but half truths are nothing but lies compounded with secrets. Nothing good can come out of that.

So it is with Alex and Harley. And poor Phoenix is caught in the middle, innocent collateral damage. Their lies almost made them a family, even if it was in name only, they had become family to each other.
Kera (featherboundbooks)
So, the most important thing I have gathered from reading this, is that the title is overwhelmingly accurate. This is a book about people who literally only tell others half truths. They lie about their lives and their pasts in order to create new and better lives for themselves and the people they hold close to them. They lie in order to protect the ones they love most.

Alex is running away from his Chicago home with his younger sister, Daphne, whom he found in her bedroom after suffering from a
Steph‘s Book Addiction
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all Rachael Brownell is a new to me author and I was very excited about this book.

Alex and Harley met each other when he brought his sister Daphne (drug addict) to rehab. He has a crush on her immediately at the very first sight. Thing is, Harley is Daphne's counselor and therefore off-limits for Alex. Guess what, Harley also fell for Alex right at the moment she laid eyes on him, but he's off-limits for her, too for the same reason. Sometimes fate is like a damn traitor and so it happe
Booknerd_dragon (TANIA)
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
ReadingInPyjamas
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Half Truths is the first book I've read by author Rachael Brownwell and I was delighted. It's a sweet and emotional story. The writing style was easy to follow and expressive and I found myself reading it in one sitting.

Both protagonists are well-contoured and relatable. I loved their interactions, their banter and the push and pull between them. Alex is not your typical rich boy, in fact, he would gladly give up his trust fund and make his own way in life, without the help of his parents. And H
Terry
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars for this slow burn romance!

The blurp is deceiving ... it gave me the impression that they were actually patients in the rehab centre, when in fact they are not. Harley is a counsellor and Alex's sister is a patient. Even though Alex and Harley are from very different worlds, they have a lot in common ... they just want the best for the people they love the most. I loved Harley's brother, but Alex's sister is a different story ... talk about a spoiled princess. A great summer read!

Alex is
Amazeballs Book Addicts
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one. Alex doesn't have very good parents. They are more concerned about money and how their peers view them than their children. So when Alex's sister, Daphne, needs help for an addiction, he jumps in and does what he has to to get her help. Alex is a good guy. He's from money but has seen how it has made his Dad and doesn't want to be like him. Harley is Daphane's counselor and also Alex's neighbor. These two are interesting characters, who have layers. Harley is hiding a past. She ...more
United Indie Book Blog
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! I've volunteered to review this book for United Indie Book Blog. This is my first time reading one of Rachael Brownell books. This is Alex and Harley's story. Alex is a rich boy from Chicago, the son of a real estate magnate. Harley is his sister's counselor, at a rehab place. Half Truths is slow burn romance that is filled with angst, drama secrets and romance. What started as a friendship and a common goal turned into so much more. Loved the chemistry and attraction between them. Th ...more
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

Alex and Harley are both living in half truths about their lives and the lives of the people they are trying to protect. Alex is trying to protect his younger sister from not only herself, but from their parents. The parents that are so self-absorbed by the family image and work that they didn't see their daughter turning to drugs for escape. Harley is trying to protect her younger brother from their drug addict mother. Harley raised him on her own and took him from there as soon a
Denise
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Having not had read this author before but having the books on tbr it seems this one won out. The two characters are like day and night as way of life goes. Alex and Hailey are the ones dreams are made of. When they come together you could light a match with them. Can that be all in a relationship? This tells how there are many elements to it for them but fear seems to be the ring leader. This one handles issues and searches the heart. Thanks to their beginnings that has been the foundation of f ...more
Chantelle Bouffanie
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vedika Sheth
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry countless times.

The story follows Alex and Harley. Harley is a therapist at a drug rehabilitation center. Alex has admitted his sister, Daphne, at this center when he finds that she had overdosed. When the only apartment that Alex finds is the one across from Harley, he decides that he wants to become her friend. Both have secrets that they keep hidden and away from the other. These secrets may even destroy their relationship.

I love the background that you made for Alex a
Peggy Hogan
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! This is the first book I've ever read by Rachael Browning, and I am so glad I did. It was so well written and just a great story. I could feel the spark between Alex and Harley right from the start, and it continued throughout the whole book. Rachael has just gained a new reader! Definitely recommended!

Lexie
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you #netgalley for an e-ARC copy of #halftruths in exchange for an honest review.
This book was really good! It has secrets, lies, love, addiction, happiness, sadness. And I enjoyed every minute of it. I really liked Alex. He was just so sweet and pure. You always read about bad boy A holes but he was just so good. Harper was strong, independent, and smart. Pheonix was smart, sweet, cute and a really good kid! I loved how everything played out in this book! 💖
« previous 1 3 next »

• Custom Built (Fast & Fury #1)
  • Restrictions (The Sterlings #2)
  • Going Under (Wildfire Lake, #2)
  • Restrained (The Sterlings #3)
  • Stroke of Midnight (Cinderella, #1)
  • Restorations (The Sterlings #4)
  • When Morning Comes (Arrow Creek #2)
  • News and Nachos (Tri-Town Murders, Book #2)
  • Birdie's Biker (RBMC: Reno, NV Book 1)
  • The Social Hour (Coffee Book #3)
  • Forevermore
  • Cuffed (Everyday Heroes, #1)
  • Violent Circle Comedy Series Box Set (Violent Circle, #1-3)
  • Sweets of Fire (Sweet Shop #7)
  • Worth the Risk (Everyday Heroes, #3)
  • Combust (Everyday Heroes, #2)
  • Crown of Crowns
  • Off Balance
Rachael Brownell resides in Michigan with her husband and son. An admitted coffee addict, since 2012 she has written and published more than THIRTY romance novels.
When she's not writing, she enjoys playing golf, reading and watching her son play baseball.
To find out more about Rachael's books, visit her website, Amazon page, or follow her on social media.