Start by marking “Consegna notturna (Pinx Video Mystery Vol. 1)” as Want to Read:
Consegna notturna (Pinx Video Mystery Vol. 1)

Consegna notturna

(A Pinx Video Mystery #1)

È il 1992 e Los Angeles brucia. Noah Valentine, il proprietario del videonoleggio Pinx Video a Silver Lake, nota che gli incendi hanno danneggiato in modo grave il negozio di apparecchi fotografici del suo vicino, Guy Peterson.
Dopo la fine della rivolta di Los Angeles, Noah decide di fermarsi a casa di Guy per ritirare delle videocassette che l’altro non ha ancora restitui
Published June 4th 2020 by Triskell Edizioni (first published September 15th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Consegna notturna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consegna notturna

Start your review of Consegna notturna (Pinx Video Mystery Vol. 1)
LenaRibka

Ring of Silence, Mark Zubro, MLR Press
Street People, Michael Nava, Korima Press
Tramps and Thieves, Rhys Ford, Dreamspinner
CrabbyPatty
Night Drop is a departure from the gritty heartbreak of Thornton's extraordinary Boystown Mysteries, set in Chicago at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. This first book in the Pinx Video Mysteries series is set in the Silver Lake area of Los Angeles at the start of the riots in 1992 in response to the Rodney King trial. We meet 28-year-old Noah Valentine, the owner of Pinx Video:
At twenty-five, I was a businessman, a homeowner and a devoted partner. Life was perfect. For about a year.

At times
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.2 Stars

First of all, I can't believe I'm shelving this as "historical" since it takes place in the early 90's. I feel so old right now.

Second, this book will not appeal to everyone...especially since it's not a typical romance. It's definitely intriguing though, and I definitely want to read more from this series to see if Noah ever gets a HEA. Hell, even a HFN considering what he's dealing with. (No details, this deserves to be read unspoiled.) Also, I want more of detective O'Shea.

Third, I d
Melissa
I have to start not with the story but with the editing. Really? I wasn't prepared for so many editing mistakes -this is a Marshall Thornton book! It really made me mad that this book was published as it was.

As for the story I really enjoyed it. This is NOT a romance, but I do see the potential for something developing. Noah is investigating the death of a sort of friend (and date disaster). Things are very crazy but I really had fun reading this. I don't want to give away anything of what happe
Calila
Great mystery. Glad I went in knowing that romance was NOT a major aspect. There's not much of it, just a hint/set up. I enjoyed the setting and era. It's nice reading something that isn't set in the now. I liked Noah a lot, and his little group of crime solving friends were fun. Tall Dark and Menacing shows some promise for the future. The ending with TDM and Noah both surprised and didn't surprise me. But I look forward to how it plays out in the future.
Leanne
4.5 stars with the potential to increase as the series continues

I liked the slow reveal of MC Noah - he's such an interesting character. I have a feeling there are many more layers to him. Loving the dry, black humour (his neighbour friends are hilarious) but I have a feeling the angst will ratchet up a notch or two in the next book. Excellent start to a series that promises to be every bit as good as Boystown.
angie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This took me by surprise in that I liked it way more than I ever could have imagined and closed the book having absolutely loved the main character, his friends and the detective who goes from leaving you a bit on edge to being a very endearing man. I raved about this to a friend outside of Good Reads who ending up feeling the same way...and both of us are looking forward to starting the next one in the series.
JR
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life, favorites, mystery, quirky, mm
Absolutely Fabulous

This has everything you could want in a mystery. It is populated with great characters, a who dunnit that kept me guessing. What more can I say? Marshall Thornton is an amazing writer.
Annika

Noah has been deeply hurt in the past and is now licking his wounds. Hiding away from everyone, including himself. Hiding in plain sight that is. He's not a loner, he has both friends and family, but he keeps his distance and never truly engaging with anyone. There are a few sparks here and there where he tries to re-engage with the world, but it feels like he's forgotten how to. And he's not ready just yet. But there's possibility there, hope that someday he might move forward.

Night Drop was my
Ulysses Dietz
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Night Drop (Pinx #1)
Marshall Thornton
Kenmore Books, 2017
Five stars

It is so exciting to see Marshall Thornton starting off on a new series. Here we’re in Los Angeles in 1992—literally as the city burns in the aftermath of the Rodney King trial.

Noah Valentine runs Pinx Video, which is nostalgic in itself, because I remember when every town had several competing video stores, both local businesses and national chains. But right from the start we know that Noah, who is 28, has some baggage that nev
Caipi
Excellent murder mystery, with interesting, quirky characters!

Despite the sad historical setting during the riots in LA, this story didn't get too depressing thanks to the funny, sarcastic dialogues throughout the book.
Honestly, I devoured it!

Shelby
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was excellent. I haven't enjoyed a mystery this much since the Adrien English series.
KatieMc
I really should have been more excited about this as I am a huge Marshall Thornton fan. The Nick Nowack series brings me back to my roots in the Chicago area. Maybe it’s becuase it takes place around the time I left, I always enjoyed the nostalgia of hearing about the Tylenol scares or getting fries with your hot dogs. This new series brings me to another familiar place and time, Los Angeles, just after the 1992 riots. To be sure, that particular time period, starting with the Rodney King beatin ...more
Philip
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this new mystery novel from Three Nick Nowak Mysteries creator Marshall Thornton. Felt nostalgic over the video store setting. And melancholy over the AIDS era time period. Protagonist Noah showed gumption, humor and hope which made the reading zoom by. Looking forward to #2 in this series! ...more
Dan
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Loved this one...of course I've never read a bad Marshall Thornton book.
Lisa The Novel Approach
~ 4.5 Stars ~

Noah is not your typical private investigator, primarily because he’s not a PI at all—just a young business owner of a video rental store, with a nose for the mysterious and a penchant for not minding his own business. Set in the 1990s, during the notorious Rodney King Trial that set off a series of violent clashes between police and protesters, Night Drop is a classic mystery story with an unusual hero. Noah is pulled into what turns out to be a deadly setup when a fellow business
Donna
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-lgbtq-read
OK... I am just going to say it... I did not like this story.

Completely unrelated to my first comment, is the fact that I was surprised by the various grammatical errors that were found throughout the book... I really wasn't expecting that.

Now, back to my original comment...
This is a new author for me, so I went into this with no expectations either way. Some will find it strange that I gave a story that I didn't like 5-stars... but let me explain.

This was an excellent story with so many talking
Joyfully Jay
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

3 stars

Before this, I had not read any books by Marshall Thornton and the idea of a mystery set in the nostalgic era of the 90s appealed to me. The story had promise as it opened and we are in Noah’s first person perspective. The LA riots are recounted in a brief overview and while Noah’s business is a little outside of the more violent areas, the whole area is feeling the effects. There are a few details of life in the 90s, such as the video store, menthol cigarettes, and
Lulu
“Now, now,” Louis interrupted. “Don’t speak ill of the dead. Not when there are living people you can speak ill of.” And then he did just that, taking a few swipes at the president, who I found too bland to be worth insulting, or Pat Robertson or the mayor.

Story: 9
Audiobook: 9 (5hr 1min)
To re-read: 9

this author loves the 80's and the 90's not sure why, I
LJ
This is definitely a series I'll continue with. I think the problems I had with it will be resolved in the future - this book felt like a prequel. The atmosphere and description of 1992 LA and the riots was excellent but I didn't find the mystery interesting or intriguing. And Noah is a person and a character coming into his own but he doesn't have enough ummpf without a compelling mystery to shore him up - at least not yet. The most hooking part of the book was Noah's backstory, that's why I ke ...more
Lori S.
Set in the early years of the 1990s, Night Drop feels like it's set in the time period - in the years before the internet became truly useful, before cell phones became ubiquitous, when video tapes still ruled the roost ... I had flashbacks to visiting Blockbuster and Media Play ...

Any way, Noah Valentine is a video store owner who gets himself entangled into a murder investigation by being just a tad too nosy for his own good. The mystery is a tad on the thin side, but I enjoyed it.
angie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the mystery part could be a bit stronger, everything else in Night Drop falls together perfectly and makes for a great, sometimes funny, surprisingly endearing read. I already bought the second one and plan to buy the third in the series. I cannot recommend this enough!!
Lisa
I devoured this book.
There is NO sex or romance in it but I loved the MC and his group of friends and the mystery was good as well keeping me guessing until the end.
In the past this author has been a bit hit and miss for me but this one definitely hit the spot.
Annika
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook review

I read Night Drop three years ago when it was first released. I think it was my first experience with gay fiction and went into it expecting mm romance. Back then I didn’t realise there was a difference, and wasn’t quite sold on it to tell you the truth. That’s the thing with expectations. Now though, I’m addicted to this series, I love gay fiction – and the hurt they tend to inflict on the reader/listener. I can’t say that I’ve read – or listened to – many I don’t think my poor
Tex Reader
4.0 of 5 - I Can Cozy Up to This Kind of Mystery Anytime

The Lammy was well deserved. Marshall Thornton was at his story-telling best to start off his new mystery series with a bang.

I can't help but compare it to Marshall's Boystown series. Instead of Chicago, we're in L.A. Again, he gave me a good feel of the place and the times. This one was set during the Rodney King riots of 1992, and boy was that poignant, sitting here almost 3 decades later with sadly the same things going on (George Floyd
WMD
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply situated in 80s, mystery

This follows our main character, Noah Valentine, through a murder mystery. The book is about Noah's casual, almost reluctant, pursuit of the murder investigation and almost as much about LA events and features of the gay scenes in the 90s as about the murder. So a mystery in some layered context. Some very witty lines and a handful of friends and bit parts leaven the mix.
Professionally written, well edited with just a couple typos.
The book is not a romance. We get
Eugenia
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It took me awhile to get into this story, but once I did, holy hell was it a treat!

Here we have a video store owner who finds himself embroiled in a murder mystery. Actually, "finds himself" is much too passive because he sticks his nose in everything surrounding the mysterious death of Guy the Camera Guy.

This was a trip down memory lane. Although I didn't live in LA during the riots after the Rodney King trial decision came down, I did live in Berkeley where things also got heated. I rememb
Terri Jones
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was a bit slow to read, but it's better (in my head) as a movie. This main character's quite a lot different than others of this author's (that I've read).

It kept me curious.

The last seven chapters kept me reading straight through.

It could have used a loving copy-edit to insert a few missing words and eliminate the bit of dialogue that wasn't supposed to be separated into two lines. Nothing you can't figure out.

And then, at the end of the last chapter, I sat a moment, and then order
Daniela Green
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No sex? It doesn't matter.
Mr. Thornton writing is so good that I forgot about it.
Kevin
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic murder and conspiracy story set in the gay world of 1980s Silver Lake, Los Angeles. I was constantly eager to find out what happened next.
There's a shocker near the end (maybe others will pick up on it before the reveal) which explains so much in hindsight.
I read a beta copy of this book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Somebody Killed His Editor (Holmes & Moriarity #1)
  • The Twelfth Knight (Guardians of Camelot, #1)
  • The Haunting of Timber Manor (Memoirs of the Human Wraiths, #1)
  • How to Run with the Wolves (Howl at the Moon #5)
  • Secret at Skull House (Secrets and Scrabble #2)
  • Ends of the Earth
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
  • Double or Nothing (Double Trouble #1)
  • The Monuments Men Murders (The Art of Murder #4)
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1)
  • Will & Patrick's Happy Ending (Wake Up Married #6)
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • Pretty Boy Dead (Kendall Parker Mystery #1)
  • Kidnapped by the Pirate
  • Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Will & Patrick Fight Their Feelings (Wake Up Married, #4)
  • Without a Trace (Lancaster Falls Trilogy, #2)
Three-time Lambda Award-winning author, Marshall Thornton is best known for the Boystown and Pinx Video mystery series. Other novels include the erotic comedy The Perils of Praline, or the Amorous Adventures of a Southern Gentleman in Hollywood, Desert Run and Full Release. Marshall has an MFA in screenwriting from UCLA, where he received the Carl David Memorial Fellowship and was recognized in th ...more

A Pinx Video Mystery (4 books)
  • Hidden Treasures (A Pinx Video Mystery, #2)
  • Late Fees (A Pinx Video Mystery, #3)
  • Rewind (Pinx Video Mysteries #4)

News & Interviews

“I’m on break. Would you like to give me a blow job?” “Oh, um, well, thank you for offering. But, no.” 0 likes
“As I walked out of the apartment, I heard Guy’s mother—who’d been silent the whole time—say, “Doug? When are we going home? I hate this city. It’s nothing but niggers and fags.” 0 likes