Start by marking “The Future Is Yours” as Want to Read:
The Future Is Yours

The Future Is Yours

Two best friends create a computer that can predict the future. But what they can’t predict is how it will tear their friendship—and society—apart.

If you had the chance to look one year into the future, would you?

For Ben Boyce and Adhi Chaudry, the answer is unequivocally yes. And they’re betting everything that you’ll say yes, too. Welcome to The Future: a computer that c
Published February 9th 2021 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about The Future Is Yours, please sign up.
Dan Frey I think so. There's a little bit of language, but otherwise nothing objectionable, and the form in which it's written (compiled emails, text messages,…moreI think so. There's a little bit of language, but otherwise nothing objectionable, and the form in which it's written (compiled emails, text messages, and other types of digital writing) makes it particularly accessible to high school age readers. (less)

Start your review of The Future Is Yours
MarilynW
Feb 07, 2021 rated it liked it
The Future Is Yours by Dan Frey

Ben Boyce and Adhi Chaudry have been friends since their first days in college. I never played too many of those old text based computer games but this story reminded me of them, in a way. It's told entirely through emails, texts, blogs, and transcripts, with newspaper articles from the future scattered throughout. Even though it's science fiction it came off as more of a character study with a "make up your own ending" surprise at the end. I do not like to make
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
There is too much Ready Player One vibes in this book, am I wrong?

Just like Haliday and Sorrento’s entrepreneurship to create something unique to rock the world, Ben and Adhi leave their jobs to build a business from scratch by providing a groundbreaking device for the usage of consumers all around the world. And of course all those cultural references were mentioned have such resemblances with the same book.

This wasn’t a unique or original read. But it was still gripping, exciting, balanced pa
Blaine
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
So an antisocial introvert doing everything in his power to avoid the world … may have created a technology that will end up destroying it? Interesting. I have no further questions.
...
If given the chance, I will always open Pandora’s box.
Thanks to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine for sending me an ARC of The Future Is Yours in exchange for an honest review.

I’m always ready to read another time travel story. Ben Boyce and Adhi Chaudry have invented a quantum computer that
Bridgett
Jan 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
If given the chance, I will always open Pandora’s box.

There are things I really liked about this novel...and just as many things I didn't care for.

What I enjoyed:
1. The structure of the book is pretty freaking cool. It's written entirely in an archival, historical fashion - emails, texts, Tweets, blog posts, newspaper articles, government documents, and a variety of other multi-media. It makes for a very quick, addictive read. I read this in about three hours total.

2. Although not particul
Kemper
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received a free advance copy of this from NetGalley for review.

Imagine if you could see what was in the news a year from now? Considering how the last year is gone, I’d guess it would be more than any sane person could bear.

Adhi Chaudry and Ben Boyce became friends in college even though they couldn’t be more different. Adhi is an introvert and a brilliant computer engineer. Ben is a charismatic salesman type who dreams of making it big. When Adhi develops a theory that would use quantum comp
Montzalee Wittmann
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Future Is Yours by Dan Frey is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. I found the concept of this book very intriguing and it opened up a lot of questions about what would happen if this was real. Those same questions are addressed in the book. The book is presented not in a novel format but as transcripts and notes. A unique way to tell the story but also the only flaw I found. It was a bit different to follow at times.
The story has two guys building a computer that
PamG
I have seen The Future Is Yours by Dan Frey categorized as science fiction, time travel, and as a techno-thriller, and there are aspects of all of these within this unique story set in California and Washington D.C. The key question in this book relates to seeing what is happening one year in the future. Would you take advantage of such an opportunity? Do you really want to know what the future holds for you?

Former college friends Ben Boyce and Adhi Chaudry answer this question with an overw
Faith
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
In 2021, college friends Ben Boyce and Adhi Chaudry form a venture based on an idea that Adhi was developing in grad school. He thought he could create a computer that was able to collect, with perfect accuracy, information from one year in the future. Written in the form of emails, newspaper articles, blog posts and Congressional records, this book tells the story of this invention. The partners are so consumed with the science, the quest for startup money, threatened lawsuits and government he ...more
Sylvain Neuvel
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let me tell you about your future. You’re going to love this book. A fascinating premise, brilliantly executed. THE FUTURE IS YOURS is a thrilling scifi adventure you simply can’t put down and a masterful modern take on the epistolary novel.
Matt
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Dan Frey, Random House Publishing Group-Ballantine, and Del Rey for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

What would you do if you created a piece of technology that could peer into the future and demonstrate what life would be like, scanning emails you have yet to write and seeing search engine results for events that have yet to occur? Such is the premise of Day Frey’s novel, The
3 stars

The Future is Yours is one of those books that I am not really sure how to rate. On one hand, I really liked the unique way that Frey told the story, through a series of texts, emails, articles and a deposition. On the other hand, Ben was a truly unlikeable protagonist, but not in a “good” way. Honestly, he was an egotistical jerk and I just found it very difficult having the story told in his voice.

The concept of this novel is great and that is what drew me in. I have recently become of
Jordan (Jordy’s Book Club)
QUICK TAKE: cool concept (tech bros invent essentially a time machine that allows them to see one year into the future) and I loved how creative the author is in telling the story through emails, transcripts, letters, etc. That being said, I had some problems with the story structure and character decisions, and have I mentioned time travel makes me go cross-eyed with confusion almost every single time. Fast read for fans of the genre, otherwise at your own risk.
Karen’s Library
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, netgalley
Being a huge fan of Sylvain Neuvel’s Sleeping Giants, the format of this book as told in media form using transcripts, texts, emails, blogs, articles, etc., was familiar to me and I loved it. And being a huge fan of Blake Crouch, the futuristic sci-fi storyline was exciting as well.

I’m going to venture to say that this book is my favorite read of 2020!

Two best friends discover a way to look at the internet one year ahead in time and see what happens in the future. This storyline takes them from
Chris
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc-fiction
The Future Is Yours finds our main characters Adhi and Ben meeting as college roommates and follows them as they create a Silicon Valley tech startup known as The Future. This is a device that will let anyone who has possession of it to connect to the internet one year in the future and see what's happening and the ramifications of such a piece of technology.

They created the device as something to make the world a better place. What happens instead once they start creating buzz about it and get
Feb 05, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Future Is Yours” by Dan Frey

This sci-fi novel is an interesting take on time travel. Frey does a good job with the science behind his idea. His protagonists are both really annoying, though. They are so stereotypes as to be almost caricatures.
Flat out, I don’t like the writing style. The story is told through text messages, emails, letters, Congressional hearing minutes, etc. In my view is a mess.
Three stars is what I rate this book. Good idea, not so good execution.
This book was a Netgal
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2021/02/21/...

Two friends. One big idea. This is the story of Ben Boyce and Adhi Chaudry, a couple of geeky fanboys who met in college and bonded over a love of technology and science fiction. On the surface, they couldn’t be any more different in background and personality. Ben was a poor black kid who nonetheless grew up to have a big heart and an insatiable love for life and adventure, befriending people easily with his sociable an
Darla
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Surprisingly engaging in an epistolary format and accessible despite the quantum and string theory that is thrown around regarding the prototype. I found this engrossing and difficult to put down. At times it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. The combination of web articles, emails, text messages, blog posts, hearing transcripts, and even a best man speech worked for me. It brought to mind the two latest books from Blake Crouch -- 'Dark Matter' and 'Recursion.' If you are a fan, th ...more
Bandit
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Future is yours…if you can afford it. Because it’s now a technology, not even a near future Future tech, but present day, the novel takes place in 2020/2021. Which is when two bro cliches, an entrepreneur and a computer wiz, comes up with a device that can make computers communicate with their future versions going forward up to one year. Imagine knowing immediate outcome of your every action and decision, every winning lottery number, every investment, every major political decision. People ...more
The Captain
Feb 05, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: walk-the-plank
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

This book just did not work for me.  I gave it a good whirl and actually finished it but was ultimately very disappointed.  The main premise is that two best friends have a start up company called The Future where they have a device that can pull internet data from one year in the future.  The story is told using emails, texts, articles, and transcripts.

I did lik
Juli
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ben and Adhi are friends. They've been friends since college. One is extremely driven....the other is a genius with issues. A perfect combination to create something wonderful....and dangerous. A computer. But so much more than other computers or tech devices. Their invention can connect to the internet.... But, you say, almost any device including toasters can now connect to the internet. But....can they connect to the internet a year in the future? Ben and Adhi's invention can.....

Wow....this
Bam cooks the books ;-)
*3-3.5 stars. Written in the form of texts, emails, transcripts of testimony, etc., this novel tells the story of two college roommates who come up with an idea for how to access the future using the magic of quantum computing. You can tell the author is a screenwriter because these characters are so stereo-typical. I found it, however, to be a quick and entertaining read because I have a fascination for anything related to time travel.

One young man is an Indian-American named Adhvan Chaudry wh
Lou Jacobs
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A modern day cautionary tale meant to be gobbled up in a few chunks. Best college friends Adhi Chaudry and Ben Boyce have created a prototype device that can connect to the internet a year in the future. Adhi is a virtual genius in Computing science and has developed the technology through quantum computing and quantum entanglement, while Ben provides the entrepreneurial skills to start up the company they call The Future. Their vision is to have this technology available to everyone with an aff ...more
Lisa Wolf
If I had the technology of this book back in February 2020, then I could have found out a year ago that I would end up reading The Future Is Yours this week — compulsively, start to finish, taking a break just for the bare necessities. (And work. Because work waits for no woman. Or book. But I digress.)

The Future Is Yours is just so freakin’ cool. Two friends, former college roommates now stuck in the workworld grind, invent a technology that can change the world. Ben is charming, charismatic, a
Sherwood Smith
Feb 07, 2021 added it
Shelves: sf
A popular narrative style these days, especially in YA, is a story told entirely in texts, e-mails, transcripts, etc. This novel is told that way--and still manages to remain very cinematic as it extrapolates a computer start-up put together by a couple of college friends.

One is a brilliant computer geek, the other a marketing maven. The computer geek unsuccessfully tried to pitch as his PhD thesis a computer that can tell the future . . . and when he's turned down by his academic committee, he
Kristi
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-release, sci-fi
The Future is Yours by Dan Frey caught my attention right away. Told in epistolary style using mixed media format, it follows two friends that have developed a unique way to look in to the future. Using quantum computing, computer genius Adhi discovers a new technology that allows a computer to see forward in to time by communicating with its future self. Mind blown yet?

When Adhi’s college roommate and best friend, Ben urges him to follow through with his college dissertation, it starts a chain
Kimberly
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arcs
"The Future is Yours" by Dan Frey is the perfect book for fans of "Recursion" and "Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch! This entertaining science fiction novel follows the story of two best friends who develop technology that allows them to see one year into the future. After quitting their jobs and creating a company to further develop and sell their "time machine, " Ben and Adhi quickly discover that their invention could change the world forever.

Creatively told through a series of emails, texts, and
Crystal Zavala
Nov 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Future Is Yours told epistolary style using emails, texts, blog posts, transcripts, and news articles. I am a huge fan of this style of writing. It also includes photos and diagrams that really add to the novel. Depending on how the audiobook is done, I probably wouldn't recommend that route.

For the first half of the book, I was fully invested in Ben Boyce and Adhi Chaudry's story and invention. I really thought this book would rival Dark Matter or Recursion. It started to fall flat when I c
Denise
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, so smart and cleverly told, this sci-fi thriller is one you don't want to miss!

What if you could know what happens one year into the future -- but be powerless to change it?

Best friends, Ben Boyce and Adhvan (Adhi) Chaudry, want to be on the cutting edge of a new technology that will take Silicon Valley by storm and make them loads of money. Their idea involves transmitting data though time so that someone using their machine could see the future and know the outcome of any endeavor. The nar
Stacey Camp
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
**5/5 Stars**

I’ll admit that I was going to put this down after the first few pages felt like it was yet another book about tech bros gone bad (or are they just all bad to begin with?!). But then I stuck with it for about 15 pages, and I was into it. And yes, I ended up giving this book a 5/5 stars rating despite my first few pages impression. Never judge a book by the first five pages!

What kept me reading Dan Frey’s The Future is Yours?

There are several things that kept me absolutely hooked to
Monnie
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
My best suggestion after finishing this book? Don't read it right after you've smoked a joint. Heck, don't even try it after you've had a couple of beers. It's mind-boggling enough without any outside help.

That's not to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy it - truth is, the story is highly thought-provoking and tantalizing; if you could see a year into the future, would you look (especially knowing there's nothing you can do to alter what you now know happens)? On a much larger scale, if this kind of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Forget Me Not
  • A History of What Comes Next (Take Them to the Stars, #1)
  • The Midnight Library
  • Dead Space
  • The Echo Wife
  • We Could Be Heroes
  • The Memory Theater
  • Second Foundation (Foundation #3)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • The Terminal List (Terminal List, #1)
  • In the Quick
  • Project Hail Mary
  • Malice (Malice Duology #1)
  • The Four Winds